• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I'm at a quiz night for a global company. A Fortune 500 company.

Question was name the two boxers shown in a video clip. Muhammad Ali and Henry Cooper were the fighters.

Anyway this Senior Director says "Name the two fighters, one is a Negro".

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Ok wait. Everyone saw a video of Ali fighting and this director person decide to point out that he's black as if everyone is blind?

Nov 9, 2017
A lot of old people still think negro is more appropriate that using black for some reason. They also think they can still used "colored" because of both NAACP and UNCF.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
So I'm at a quiz night for a global company. A Fortune 500 company.

Question was name the two boxers shown in a video clip. Muhammad Ali and Henry Cooper were the fighters.

Anyway this Senior Director says "Name the two fighters, one is a Negro".
I would not call that casual thats straight up racism like he could have said black or African american etc but he had to say that

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
what a weird comment to make...especially because it was a video that everybody could see what the f

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
How is that casual. Its a video clip that all can see. Yet he feels the need to point out the "negro"?

OP
OP
Puroresu_kid

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Have an exit plan for a new job if you do this. HR's job is to protect the company not you. If this is senior management there is a good chance you might be out of job taking this to HR.

Na this is the UK. The thing is this guy is loved, his treated like a hero. His retiring in 3 months and this is some big send off. Myself and other ethnic minorities are reporting it.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
User banned (1 week): hostility and insensitive commentary surrounding race over multiple posts
This post is a pretty gussied-up way to say "But black people say it, why can't I say it?"

fuck off, you troll. The word appears in the first sentence of an article on a fairly mainstream site and no one in that thread reacts to it. It made me wonder if outside my country it saw use.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Wtf, calm down dude.

And no, that word isn't mainstream even if it is in a mainstream site.

Guy managed several leaps of logic from my posting a link to the word being used where people's reactions did not match my own to it meaning I must want to secretly chant the word in public. I've worked on anti-racism campaigns before, I'm not going to put up with some internet troll trying to stir up drama for e-points.

And I didn't say the word was mainstream, I said the site was, i.e. not a fringe source that might sneak an offensive word in there for an agenda. I don't see how you could conclude from that that I'm saying the word is mainstream.

OP
OP
Puroresu_kid

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Stepped out of the room during the break and on my return have been told the guy made an apology.

The words used "sorry I thought that was the correct word to use".

Not expecting HR to do anything about this but still putting my complaint in.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
This post is a pretty gussied-up way to say "But black people say it, why can't I say it?"

I don't get that from the person you quoted. To be honest, I'm black and I've always considered "negro" antiquated and anachronistic ( especially for 2019), but I guess I never saw it as quite comparable to the myriad racial epithets for black people.

Definitely not saying this is the case for most black people, but I guess I just never saw it in the same light as I think many do.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Guy managed several leaps of logic from my posting a link to the word being used where people's reactions did not match my own to it meaning I must want to secretly chant the word in public. I've worked on anti-racism campaigns before, I'm not going to put up with some internet troll trying to stir up drama for e-points.

And I didn't say the word was mainstream, I said the site was, i.e. not a fringe source that might sneak an offensive word in there for an agenda. I don't see how you could conclude from that that I'm saying the word is mainstream.

You posted to a thread with a black person using it, linking to an article of a black person using it. Can you see how that is different than this Senior Director, who is presumably white, saying it?

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i think op thought casual racism was racism said in a casual manner.

Oct 2, 2018
EK6cC3NWkAA0i75

this is ...

OP
OP
Puroresu_kid

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Dude is like 60-65. In his 'apology' made reference to suffering discrimination all his life as a Gay man and didn't mean anything by it.

Speaking to a lot of people last night they are not happy and today should be interesting at work as people want something done and not just brushed under the carpet.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
Dude is like 60-65. In his 'apology' made reference to suffering discrimination all his life as a Gay man and didn't mean anything by it.

Speaking to a lot of people last night they are not happy and today should be interesting at work as people want something done and not just brushed under the carpet.
Ah, the Pete Buttigieg defense I see.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see how saying "black" or whatever would make it much better.

"Name the two fighters. One is black."

What an odd thing to say.

OP
OP
Puroresu_kid

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Curious how this will be addressed. Hopefully an update later today.

Just had a meeting with HR. They wouldn't really explain what action is now happening. They basically wanted to know what can be done going forward to make sure this doesn't happen again.

As I said yesterday this guy retires in the new year and is treated like some hero so I'm not expecting anything to happen to him.

From what I've been told the excuse being used is 'I was born in the 60's and that term was widely used growing up'.

Last edited:

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
A lot of old people still think negro is more appropriate that using black for some reason. They also think they can still used "colored" because of both NAACP and UNCF.
Those terms are out of date but I don't think they're inherently racist. But going out of his way to point out that one of the boxers is black would be sus even if he used more modern terminology. Dude acted like it was a hint.

iSnack 2.0

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You need to lead by example and quit. By continuing to work there you are condoning his behaviour.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
When I see the term casual racism I think of someone just dropping a racist slur in casual conversation like it's perfectly fine and normal, just as the op laid out.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When I see the term casual racism I think of someone just dropping a racist slur in casual conversation like it's perfectly fine and normal, just as the op laid out.
There's figurative casual racism where it's just less blatant but still racist and then there's literal casual racism where someone sprinkles any degree of racism in casual conversation.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017

He apologized (poorly) that same night after you brought it up?

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks to say but I would let it go if he's retiring in the new year. What is HR going to do? Tell them you want all top management to take diversity classes. At the very least it could have an impact on management moving forward