Oct 25, 2017
Jontron is a flat-out, clear-cut, unambiguous white supremacist. He has said exceptionally worrying white supremacist things. Even before that revelation he was routinely using the n-word on Game Grumps and saying questionable things on social media.

To do business with him is a bad look to say the least.
It definitely is. So why draw the line at buying the game vs. playing it? Buying it supports the company financially, yes, but playing it allows Justin Roiland to communicate directly with you through his art. Which is worse?

Oct 25, 2017
The game itself has no association with Jontron. If Jon was in the game I would not buy it.

I want to play the game but I will not let them receive money for their product while I do that.
Sounds like a very convenient moral stand for you. Why should the people who worked on this and had nothing to do with the ad be compensated for their work?

HiredN00bs

Oct 25, 2017
Laurel, MD
I don't understand how JonTron responding with a sarcastic tweet is supposed to be evidence that Justin knows about his actual white supremecist views.

Like, even if Justin's tweet is about JonTron getting fired and/or getting bad press, it doesn't mean that he's aware of the specific statements he made that got him fired. If he has a friendly working relationship with JonTron, he could simply be taking his word that he was unfairly maligned.

Is there more evidence that Justin is sympathetic to JonTron's white supremecist views, specifically? I'm not going to buy the game if there is evidence of this.

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
It definitely is. So why draw the line at buying the game vs. playing it? Buying it supports the company financially, yes, but playing it allows Justin Roiland to communicate directly with you through his art. Which is worse?

I'd say it's a pretty clear distinction. Direct financial support vs experiencing a game that may (I don't know) feature questionable themes/messages, which as intelligent people we're capable of parsing effectively as the nonsense they are?

The game might be great. This doesn't really feel like it has anything to do with the actual content thereof. I do see where you're coming from, however, and it is an interesting question.

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
I don't understand how JonTron responding with a sarcastic tweet is supposed to be evidence that Justin knows about his actual white supremecist views.

Like, even if Justin's tweet is about JonTron getting fired and/or getting bad press, it doesn't mean that he's aware of the specific statements he made that got him fired. If he has a friendly working relationship with JonTron, he could simply be taking his word that he was unfairly maligned.

Is there more evidence that Justin is sympathetic to JonTron's white supremecist views, specifically? I'm not going to buy the game if there is evidence of this.

I edited it out like 18 minutes ago for that reason.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

After Justin collabed with PewDiePie who had a very widely reported Nazi joke scandal, to the point that it's the main thing most people know about PDP now, him collaborating with someone who has explicit white nationalist views is a second strike. That's two strikes. Even if he did somehow magically have this selective ignorance (despite his show being based on an acute awareness of internet culture) he surely knows by now with the reaction to this. So has he responded yet?

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's a pretty clear distinction. Direct financial support vs experiencing a game that may (I don't know) feature questionable themes/messages, which as intelligent people we're capable of parsing effectively as the nonsense they are?

The game might be great. This doesn't really feel like it has anything to do with the actual content thereof. I do see where you're coming from, however, and it is an interesting question.
I think it's interesting too and I appreciate you not just jumping to "why u defend white supremacy??" or whatever.

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
Someone else mentioned tweets, but that's all I saw. Are there others?

I don't know. The mention by someone else/others was why I went looking, but that was all I could find so, like I said, I edited my post because frankly feel like enough to use as any sort of evidence against. Jafari has posted lots of very stupid tweets but they weren't provably in conversation with Roiland, from what I can find. Hence my edit.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like a very convenient moral stand for you. Why should the people who worked on this and had nothing to do with the ad be compensated for their work?

Based on your other posts, it sounds like you're trying to point out a moral hypocrisy where there is none but I'll bite.

The ad, which is hosted on squanch games youtube page, was obviously approved by them. As Justin is a co-creator and contributor to the game I am taking the moral stance that while I may enjoy your creative work unrelated to your political stances, I will not help fund you to continue it. I.E. - Thank you for the media, you can be on your way now.

But it's pretty obvious to me you don't care about the nuance of the situation and you just want a 'gotcha' on people who morally oppose Jontron but still want the game so after this I'm pretty sure I'll be ignoring you. Thanks.

If any squanch games employees ever see this - I'm sorry that this stance comes at the price of your product.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I guess I shouldn't be surprised, it's not like the JonTron Show went away after the whole "gene pools - founding stock - rich blacks commit more crimes" showing of ass, and enough time has passed for someone to give him a platform and have plausible deniability on their side when they're criticized.

Guess I'll be skipping the new seasons of Rick and Morty.

HiredN00bs

Oct 25, 2017
Laurel, MD
After Justin collabed with PewDiePie who had a very widely reported Nazi joke scandal, to the point that it's the main thing most people know about PDP now, him collaborating with someone who has explicit white nationalist views is a second strike. That's two strikes. Even if he did somehow magically have this selective ignorance (despite his show being based on an acute awareness of internet culture) he surely knows by now with the reaction to this. So has he responded yet?
My point is that I'm interested in evidence that Justin is aware of specifically JonTron's white supremecist views. I'm not familiar with him at all, but my understanding is that these views are not a part of his work and public persona, and the only reason we know about them is because of our community here. I didn't read about JonTron's ideology from Time magazine and I also find it unlikely Justin reads Time. I also think that JonTron is not apt to share his views on this after the response he got the first time and probably wants these things buried, especially from his much more successful friends.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Guess I'll be skipping the new seasons of Rick and Morty.

Totally valid, though from what I've heard, the vast majority of the R&M writing and art staff are super liberal, anti-trump, anti-racism, pro-gay rights, pro-trans rights, etc. Since season 1, they've also made a conscious decision to diversity their staff. Roiland was never the draw for me anyway, so I'll continue watching.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda feel like Roiland is more like Boogie, the "it's both side!!" kinda guy.

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
Totally valid, though from what I've heard, the vast majority of the R&M writing and art staff are super liberal, anti-trump, anti-racism, pro-gay rights, pro-trans rights, etc. Since season 1, they've also made a conscious decision to diversity their staff. Roiland was never the draw for me anyway, so I'll continue watching.

Yeah, the values of R&M as a show do not reflect any hard-right talking points. Rick was kinda held up as a hero by them because they are fucking stupid. This is a character who has directly stated, paraphrasing, "I am a piece of shit, I am evil, do not be like me".

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
My point is that I'm interested in evidence that Justin is aware of specifically JonTron's white supremecist views. I'm not familiar with him at all, but my understanding is that these views are not a part of his work and public persona, and the only reason we know about them is because of our community here. I didn't read about JonTron's ideology from Time magazine and I also find it unlikely Justin reads Time. I also think that JonTron is not apt to share his views on this after the response he got the first time and probably wants these things buried, especially from his much more successful friends.
Jon essentially made the right PR moves after that interview where he went full racist. He shut up and went away for several months and then never brought up those views in public again after he reemerged. The general public unfortunately have a short memory.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Roiland will contaminate Rick and Morty with shitty views. I doubt it considering the extremely nihilistic nature of the whole show.

But i think i'd drop the show instantly at the mention of "SJW" non ironically.

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It doesn't appear to be as black-and-white as Cartoon Brew reported. Here are comments from people who allegedly work for R&M on that article:

Anyway, all that said, I"m not about to defend Roiland's character. I don't think he's necessarily malicious, but from listening to a lot of his peers on podcasts etc, it seems pretty clear to me that he's regarded as kind of an air-head with a lot of bad takes and not a ton of logic behind his words & actions. He's a zany weirdo with an artistic talent, but it's pretty clear to me that Harmon & the writers he brought over from Starburns were the initial reason the show ended up as good as it is.
Even if we ignore how it's impossible to verify that those commenters are genuine employees, let alone the internet fallacy of only those who feel strongly against something feel the need to comment on it, the fact is that even if Cartoon Brew's reporting on the union dispute is shoddy, factually Roiland included a scene in the show analogous to a union dispute around the time one would be happening to him in real life, factually his animators unionized, and factually he went on Reddit and had his "FUCK THE UNION" meltdown. The only thing that isn't entirely verifiable if we discount Cartoon Brew's reporting is the conditions of the workplace before they unionized.

None of this does anything to absolve Roiland of being a union buster.

Ignorance is not an excuse btw

Ignorance is especially not an excuse when, as a caster in a video production, it is literally your job to get on Google and look up "[person name] controversy" to see if you're about to start a PR nightmare.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I have never seen Rick and Morty so I'm very unfamiliar with Roiland, but I remember watching a gaming panel thing with Sony maybe last year where he was on talking about Trover and he seemed like a bit of a twat to me.

I can't say I'm surprised.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Even if we ignore how it's impossible to verify that those commenters are genuine employees, let alone the internet fallacy of only those who feel strongly against something feel the need to comment on it, the fact is that even if Cartoon Brew's reporting on the union dispute is shoddy, factually Roiland included a scene in the show analogous to a union dispute around the time one would be happening to him in real life, factually his animators unionized, and factually he went on Reddit and had his "FUCK THE UNION" meltdown. The only thing that isn't entirely verifiable if we discount Cartoon Brew's reporting is the conditions of the workplace before they unionized.

None of this does anything to absolve Roiland of being a union buster.

I'm not defending Roiland. Just wanna be clear on that.

But to draw parallels between the content of the show and the realities of labour relations at the studio.... I'm not buying it. This isn't South Park; the lag-time between script writing and the show actually airing is very long.

p.s. How do you know it was Roiland who wrote that scene? Not doubting you just curious how you know.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Jon essentially made the right PR moves after that interview where he went full racist. He shut up and went away for several months and then never brought up those views in public again after he reemerged. The general public unfortunately have a short memory.

I don't want to sound like I am stepping up to defend JonTron, because I will say it right now - I'm not fully versed in the remarks he made that going him labeled as a white supremacist outside of one or two key phrases, but I do want to chime in regarding this comment specifically.

At what point do we hang people out to dry forever over something they said or did? You say he "made the right PR moves" but don't offer up the possibility that maybe, just maybe he educated himself after the fallout and came back with a changed viewpoint. We cut these people down all the time and then try to banish them from existence in our media, under the pretense that they are toxic at their very core and nothing will ever change that. This doesn't just apply to the Racism argument - we've seen plenty of witch hunting after things posted by CD Project Red's social media team this past year too.

People are inherently ignorant, and most of the time won't go out of their way to fully educate themselves on a topic until they fuck up in some way and get shown the way. Once that happens though, why do we all just simply say things like "oh now they're backpedaling" or "whatever dude, you can release all the statements you want, but you're still a racist piece of shit." We never seem to even offer up the chance for redemption - we just want to watch them burn at that point.

It just seems kind fucked up, is all.

Buttsmecks

Oct 26, 2017
from what I've heard, the vast majority of the R&M writing and art staff are super liberal, anti-trump, anti-racism, pro-gay rights, pro-trans rights, etc. Since season 1, they've also made a conscious decision to diversity their staff. Roiland was never the draw for me anyway, so I'll continue watching.

So liberal, anti-trump, anti-racism, etc that they decided to work for someone who associates with 2 known racists publicly.
From what I'm hearing they're not as anti nazi as you heard or else I can't imagine they would work with a series so closely attached to Justin.

I'll be skipping out everything Roiland delated from now on.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
I don't want to sound like I am stepping up to defend JonTron, because I will say it right now - I'm not fully versed in the remarks he made that going him labeled as a white supremacist outside of one or two key phrases, but I do want to chime in regarding this comment specifically.

At what point do we hang people out to dry forever over something they said or did? You say he "made the right PR moves" but don't offer up the possibility that maybe, just maybe he educated himself after the fallout and came back with a changed viewpoint. We cut these people down all the time and then try to banish them from existence in our media, under the pretense that they are toxic at their very core and nothing will ever change that. This doesn't just apply to the Racism argument - we've seen plenty of witch hunting after things posted by CD Project Red's social media team this past year too.

People are inherently ignorant, and most of the time won't go out of their way to fully educate themselves on a topic until they fuck up in some way and get shown the way. Once that happens though, why do we all just simply say things like "oh now they're backpedaling" or "whatever dude, you can release all the statements you want, but you're still a racist piece of shit." We never seem to even offer up the chance for redemption - we just want to watch them burn at that point.

A sincere apology would be the very minimum. Just look at James Gunn who has apologized for being an edgelord and has acted consistently since. JonTron has not apologized for advocating for ethnic cleansing.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Totally going devil's advocate here based on pretty much every thread where some dev says/does something shitty. But why would you punish those innocent workers who have nothing to do with it?

Allowing bigotry and persecution because others might be inconvenienced by protesting it is a pretty poor way of looking at things.

Don't kid yourself into thinking more people care than actually do. If they did, bigots wouldn't keep rising to positions of prominence and power.

People only care so long as they have nothing to lose in doing so.

You ain't lying.

This whole thing is depressing.

Won't step up against bigotry because it might get in the way of my late night yuks. :🤷:

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
So liberal, anti-trump, anti-racism, etc that they decided to work for someone who associates with 2 known racists publicly.
From what I'm hearing they're not as anti nazi as you heard or else I can't imagine they would work with a series so closely attached to Justin.

I'll be skipping out everything Roiland delated from now on.

Do you like all of the people you work for? All the way up the chain?

If I were a writer and I had the chance to work on a new show from the guy who made Community, there would be zero question. It's insane to judge people for doing so.

Also maybe they don't live their lives in YouTube culture? I certainly didn't know who JonTron was until this thread was made.

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017

Personally I'm always willing to forgive if there is an actual apology (I'm sorry you were offended or other non-apologies don't count) and if it seems they have made some personal growth regarding whatever issue started said controversy. I think that there must always be a potential path to forgiveness and redemption. To do otherwise is self defeating for moral ideals.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

There is something to be said about allowing people to redeem themselves and accept that they've changed.

But that would, y'know, require him putting in any actual effort to redeem himself for his white supremacist beliefs, and to directly address/counter the audience he will have cultivated due to that. Don't think that's happened at all, has it?

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Totally going devil's advocate here based on pretty much every thread where some dev says/does something shitty. But why would you punish those innocent workers who have nothing to do with it?
I always find this to be a dumb gotcha.

"Let's go to a different restaurant. The manager was rude to me last time I went."
"Why are you punishing the innocent waiting staff???"

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Allowing bigotry and persecution because others might be inconvenienced by protesting it is a pretty poor way of looking at things.

You ain't lying.

This whole thing is depressing.

Won't step up against bigotry because it might get in the way of my late night yuks. :🤷:
Yet this board is full of people who look away because it is a game/movie/TV show they like.

But also, if we all step up by boycotting, no one can really have or participate in anything because somewhere along the line someone is making money to promote their bigoted/shitty work place environment ways. None of us would pass the smell test on this.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Sort of a fly in the ointment situation. It's not so much a boycott as much as I just don't want to watch it anymore.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always find this to be a dumb gotcha.

"Let's go to a different restaurant. The manager was rude to me last time I went."
"Why are you punishing the innocent waiting staff???"
I find it dumb as well, but anytime something dumb is done and attention is brought, people talk about boycotts and this ultimately comes up. I mean the RDR2 thread was full of IDC about the crunch, we need to buy it so they can get their bonuses.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Yet this board is full of people who look away because it is a game/movie/TV show they like.

But also, if we all step up by boycotting, no one can really have or participate in anything because somewhere along the line someone is making money to promote their bigoted/shitty work place environment ways. None of us would pass the smell test on this.

So do nothing, stay silent, and let chaos reign, because on some level, everyone's terrible because Avenue Q did well?

Please. Forgive me for not subscribing to that sort of nihilist drivel.

Buttsmecks

Oct 26, 2017
Do you like all of the people you work for? All the way up the chain?

If I were a writer and I had the chance to work on a new show from the guy who made Community, there would be zero question. It's insane to judge people for doing so.

Also maybe they don't live their lives in YouTube culture? I certainly didn't know who JonTron was until this thread was made.

I'm sure you knew who pewdiepie was and knew Roiland decided to collab with him.

Yea it's true, I just happen to be working with someone who associates with Nazis but I'm super anti-nazi I swear /s
Idk maybe I just have too much integrity but if working on " new show from the guy who made Community " is enough to jeopardize your ethical stance on equality maybe you should reconsider your morals.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I think we should start threads when people turn out not to be mates with racists instead, would save us all a lot of time to just assume they're all rubbish until proven otherwise,

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
Today's the day folk have to ask whether or not to continue supporting Rick and Morty because one of its creators apparently supports white supremacists. 2019, y'all.
Wait really? No please no.

EDIT: Sorry I was only familiar with the other Rick and Morty creator. Didn't know this guy was the co-creator.

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
I stopped watching Rick and Morty and other Justin Roiland stuff after the Szechuan sauce scandal and the Pickle Rick memes, so I wasn't looking forward to this game. This is only icing on the cake for me.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I always hope Jon Jafari is a decent guy that has shitty opinions due to his apparent affluence, but I'm still waiting for confirmation of that.
You should really question why, of all the things to hope for, you hold your breath for the redemption of an unapologetic white suprematist. These people and their ideology ruin lives FFS.