• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
passepied joe

passepied joe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, none of the Heisei movies past King Ghidorah should be "highly recommended." and Mothra and Spacegodzilla in particular should be skipped . They're essentially the negative stereotypical image people have of the franchise. Same thing for Tokyo SOS, Final Wars, or Destroy All Monsters.

I think the best starting out point is just the films between 1962 through 1968. They're usually referred to as the "Golden Age" for a reason, as most of them are pretty respectable and well made films.

Anyways, there was a poll on TV Asahi over in Japan for fans to vote their favorite monsters and films. The results aired recently, and some of them might surprise you.
Favorite monsters (Godzilla excluded)
DOathCKUMAIaFlo.jpg

Favorite films
tumblr_ozal5mFdi01qcqjsdo1_540.jpg

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, none of the Heisei movies past King Ghidorah should be "highly recommended." and Mothra and Spacegodzilla in particular should be skipped . They're essentially the negative stereotypical image people have of the franchise. Same thing for Tokyo SOS, Final Wars, or Destroy All Monsters.

I think the best starting out point is just the films between 1962 through 1968. They're usually referred to as the "Golden Age" for a reason, as most of them are pretty respectable and well made films.

Anyways, there was a poll on TV Asahi over in Japan for fans to vote their favorite monsters and films. The results aired recently, and some of them might surprise you.
Favorite monsters (Godzilla excluded)
DOathCKUMAIaFlo.jpg

Favorite films
tumblr_ozal5mFdi01qcqjsdo1_540.jpg

Poor Varan being that low. I still like him though. At the very least he's on the list, unlike say Gabara or Baragon.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
WHAT!
How is Battra is that low??
How is Destroyah that low?? The fuck man.
How is Minya so high? What is this chart of lies?

OP
OP
passepied joe

passepied joe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the 50th anniversary of Minya's debut film, Son of Godzilla, and he was always liked in Japan as far as I know. Especially with the female audience.

Marvo Pandoras

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Oh yeah I'm in here. Big Kaiju fan here. Watched Kaiju movies every weekend with my dad. Also, Shin Godzilla is a masterpiece.

Last edited:

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Surprised to see Rodan so high, on that Japanese chart. I was under the impression, that rodan wasn't popular in Japan.

Mdk7

Oct 27, 2017
Novara, Italy
I want to see again Gamera so badly... I remember watching it as a kid and loving it.

BTW, I need some help from you guys, as I can't remember which film I'm referring to.
I was born in 1983, and I watched it as a kid... So I doubt it's after 1995, maybe it's even earlier than that.
I remember that Gamera was in it of course, and that at a certain point he became sick or something, with scientist trying to wake him up/cure him (from the inside? My memory is vague, fuck it).
I also remember that there was a monster with a retractable spike at the end of its tail, or something like that...

Any help is appreciated, thanks! :D

Last edited:

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it depends on what you want out of a Godzilla movie. If you want your movies to be like '54 or Shin you're gonna fucking HATE Final Wars.
Yeah, Final Wars is basically all of the Showa craziness jammed into one movie and then injected with all of the cocaine ever.

I think going into Final Wars knowing you're going to get crazy Power Ranger stuff and not 54/85/Shin stuff helps

OP
OP
passepied joe

passepied joe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember Kitamura proudly stated nobody had ever made a good Godzilla movie before him. Then it absolutely tanked critically and financially.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Ah, the great Final Wars debate that shall consume us all.
Like any decent human being, I like mustaches. And swords. Therefore, I am pro-Final Wars.

fwgordon.jpg

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Actually, what is KaijuERA's least favorite Godzilla film?
For myself, it's probably vs SpaceGodzilla. So boring that I don't think I was awake during the final act.
There are some Showa entries that I'm not too fond of but I tend to mix up the names so I'm not sure which ones.
Megalon is absolutely terrible, but I love it. It's highly entertaining in the right circumstances.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
For myself, it's probably vs SpaceGodzilla. So boring that I don't think I was awake during the final act.
There are some Showa entries that I'm not too fond of but I tend to mix up the names so I'm not sure which ones.
Megalon is absolutely terrible, but I love it. It's highly entertaining in the right circumstances.
My least favorite Godzilla movie is probably Godzilla's Revenge. That whole movie feels like the low point of the franchise. SpaceGodzilla is down on the list too since that movie is like the film equivalent of Nyquil to me, Son of Godzilla and Vs The Sea Monster are down near the bottom as well.

Megalon is one of those movies that achieves the "became so bad it became good again" phenomenon.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Spacegodzilla is a pretty big disappointment since it's a pretty great concept that falls completely on it's face.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Vs The Sea Monster is weird enough to keep me engaged for most of it. And a lot of the later Showa ones (Vs Megalon, Vs Gigan) are terrible enough for me to enjoy riffing on them.

Vs Mothra is a rough one though. It's just incredibly dull. And Vs Space Godzilla is painfull just for squandered potential more than anything.

JdFox17

Oct 26, 2017
Godzilla's Revenge is the worst, followed closely behind Son of Godzilla. I just cannot stand anything that has Minilla. Well, Destroy All Monsters being the exception.

I'll still defend Ebirah because it has that classic adventure feel to it -- even if it wasn't meant to be a Godzilla film, initially.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Mothra movies in general I just don't care for. The Heisei Mothra movie is kinda interesting only because it has edgy 90s evil Mothra in it. Final Wars Mothra is okay because Mothra doesn't hijack the movie.

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
This thread is relevant to my interests. I'm really excited for PR2, and hope more filmmakers create interesting new monsters for the big screen.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Mothra movies in general I just don't care for. The Heisei Mothra movie is kinda interesting only because it has edgy 90s evil Mothra in it. Final Wars Mothra is okay because Mothra doesn't hijack the movie.
What about the Mothra solo movies where Mothra digivolves into increasingly stupid new forms?

JdFox17

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you. I always felt like I was the only Godzilla fan that never cared for Mothra. That he jobbed to two Mothra larvae in the first movie was bad enough.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea and visual design of Mothra more than Mothra herself. I like the fact there's this lawful-good nature spirit kaiju and it taking the form of a giant beautiful moth is cool to me.

But she never does anything cool. It's like they designed her to be as peaceful and graceful as possible but still force her to fight and destroy and it doesn't work.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Awww... I love Mothra.
I'm always happy whenever she shows up. Plus, the whole mythology: the island, the song, the fairies... I lost it when they showed up for a hot second in GMK.
I'll agree that Mothra doesn't really work as a main kaiju. She's better in films like Tokyo SOS or GMK. But I can't wait to see the Hollywood version.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Why is nobody upset about Minya being about MechaGodzilla and Mecha King Ghidorah

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
My bottom 5 movies.

5. - Vs. Godzilla 2000. Decent movie. I always like it more than I expect to when I watch it. Unfortunately I would say the experimental composition of the special effects is very weird to me and Orga is a overly bulky stiff moving suit.

4. - Final Wars. I talked about this earlier. Issues with pacing, characters, tone and the balance between human and kaiju. Fun movie but not what I wanted to see from the last Godzilla movie for 10 years. Human stuff doesn't click with me at all.

3. - Vs. Mechagodzilla II. The last heisei movie I saw and about 10 years after the other ones so that may add to my distaste for it. I hate how much bad English is used in this movie and I find the characters insufferable. Some cool moments though, just far and few between.

2. Revenge. - the obvious cut and paste of most of the monster bits both adds and takes away from this film. It has a neat little story it just doesn't hold my interest most of the time. Helps I like the source materials, .

1. Raids again. - Such a drop in quality and tone from the first movie. Not a terrible movie, but it's the least enjoyable one of the lot. Definitely the one I watch the least.

I watch all the movies quite frequently, only the bottom two get skipped usually. So just cause I rank the 2000, and mechagodzilla low doesn't mean I don't enjoy them. Also this list would likely be different if I included the 2 US films though.

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I love Gigan for its nostalgia. Was one of the first ones I saw, so for me it's higher up.

Space Godzilla is alway panned but I don't seem to have an issue with it for some reason, other than its a little long.

I also find I'm biased for the show island movies, the character and plot all click with me way more than they probably should.