• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/pg_kamiya/status/1593624191386804226?s=46&t=Q4RptXAPpYVvrFAQeSvMsg
(´-` ). 。oO (I didn't think it was unexpected at all, but it seems that the ending of Bayo 3 wasn't conveyed correctly to everyone, so I think Bayo 4 will be an unexpected development for everyone. After all, when Bayo 4 comes out, I'm sure there will be people who say, "You added that as an afterthought," so I'll say it now...)
Not EXACTLY sure what this means, but I'm figuring I was correct to not worry about Bayo's "death"

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
All I saw was death and Bayonetta dancing after we say goodbye to her and Luka 5ever.

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
As long as bayo 4 won't be just viola then the ending can mean whatever kamiya wants for all I care

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, it seemed obvious they would try to save Cereza "KH style"(reference to that story book, it might not be the past with the faery stuff/Luka related), especially when Rodin talked about Viola's dad.
Also Bayonetta is just a family name at that point, they didn't call her simply Bayonetta.

Last edited:

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I love that Kamiya speaks so (relatively) openly about Bayo 4. So many other creatures are so gunshy about even the hypothetical existence of a sequel. With, for example, DMC6, Itsuno is like "maybe, but not now". Kamiya is just straight up "BAYO 4, Y'ALL! Y'ALL WON'T KNOW WHAT HIT YA. NEXT WEEK IN GAME MAGAZINES".

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Once again, I'd like to pitch my idea of Bayonetta 4 featuring Cereza's Escape from Inferno as a side-story composed of 2D sidescrolling levels where, deprived of her demonic summons after breaking her contract with Inferno by "dying," she has to tap into her Lumen heritage to utilize Light Speed alongside Witch Time with the Earrings of Time.

You hated Jeanne's Elevator Action? Too bad. Have Viewtiful Cereza.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I don't think "conveyed correctly" is the best way to phrase it here, because it implies that Platinum didn't "convey" it "correctly," whereas what he actually seems to be saying is that "people aren't getting it."

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/pg_kamiya/status/1593621986793529344?s=46&t=XY3zdcCvTYemuS8r9ZS9og
If I were to compare it to human society, wouldn't it be surprisingly troublesome to have a contract with a contract period, a renewal procedure, and in some cases, a kind of training? And there are some troublesome procedures around that…

Continue to question box
This was another tweet, though I can't tell if it has anything to do with Bayo or what that link to that website is

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Like Jesus she'll resurrect in three years, but she's better than Jesus because she can dance in stilettoes. Let's see Christ boy do that.

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017
It's like the people complaining didn't play Bayonetta 2

Where Jeanne got dragged into Inferno

Bayo_2_E3_25.jpg

Bayonetta%2B2%2BScreenshot%2B2018-03-18%2B10-15-36.png

Bayonetta saves her at the end

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
If he feels something wasn't conveyed correctly or people aren't understanding something, I hope they look at how their story was presented as part of the problem. Also stop jobbing Jeanne already.
Dragon ball her ass right now and bring her back

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017
If he feels something wasn't conveyed correctly or people aren't understanding something, I hope they look at how their story was presented as part of the problem. Also stop jobbing Jeanne already.
Dragon ball her ass right now and bring her back
The story could use some work, but the ending was fine.

I think people's emotions got the best of them, where they couldn't see reason because of their opinion on Viola

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
The way he talks about Bayonetta 4 makes me wonder if it is planned to be delivered on a much shorter timetable. What if we get it in a couple of years?

Otherwise, I'd honestly prefer a DLC campaign first.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
1. They're just in Inferno. In Bayonetta lore, they may as well just be taking a long nap. They can get out.

2. There are still plenty of Bayonetta's running around in the multiverse.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Spoilers, obv

I don't know why people were acting like they killed off "true" Bayo and Luca. The exact same thing happened to Jeanne and we got her back. Also, in the mid credits scene, Rodin talks about Viola'a pops being mad about something - I figured she'd either saved Bayo and Luca offscreen (in DLC?) or was living with yet another pair of multiverse parents, given that our Bayo and Luca were already just another pair of multiverse parents to her.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
It's like the people complaining didn't play Bayonetta 2

Where Jeanne got dragged into Inferno

Bayo_2_E3_25.jpg

Bayonetta%2B2%2BScreenshot%2B2018-03-18%2B10-15-36.png

Bayonetta saves her at the end
The core idea behind saving Jeanne in 2 was using her Umbran Watch, Bayo's breaks at the end of 3.
Not to say Bayo can't be saved since they could just as easily pull whatever they want out of their ass (Rodin nonchalantly mentions Luka at the end).

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I find it funny that the entire point of Bayonetta 3 is that there is an infinite number and flavors of Bayonetta, but everyone still is "Oh no! Bayonetta kissed Luka! Oh no! Bayonetta died!" Dudes... you just played a 15-hour game that establishes that it's just one Bayonetta and basically anything is on the table going forward.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I only just finished the game the other day so hadn't read stuff online but I didn't realize that people read those deaths as being permanent. It's an easy sequel setup unless they just say Viola found them in between games. Nevermind it's a series with time travel and multiple universes so nothing is really permanent.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017

I think people's emotions got the best of them, where they couldn't see reason because of their opinion on Viola
My beef has nothing to do with Viola. Not only do I like the character, I like playing the character.

It's a downer, because it's straight up a downer if you liked jeanne.
The luka pairing is completely unearned over the course of these 3 games, Bayo herself is out of character with the whimpering for Luka at one point, and tonally it's a big whiplash from losing the key characters that made the IP Fun (yes she's alive and inferno, but its also just straight up not a good situation given what we know happens in inferno to just a soul) to then go to a hunky dory ending and an admittedly baller lets dance boys.

Like the part where people don't get that the universes are fixed or whatever is of no interest to me, 9/10 the plot line of these games wouldn't be either. But the nature of what was told her and its tone at the end is a bit of a drag.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
I was so confused about why people were losing their minds over the ending. It was all totally fine to me. I loved Cereza and Luca's moment together at the end.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
This clarification just reminds me that for all of its flaws, i am really disappointed that the ending of DMC2 wasn't the final, canon outcome for Dante (joyless hardbitten dante willingly enters hell to battle demons for all eternity, never to return).

Jarchafiend

Apr 24, 2021
I find it funny that the entire point of Bayonetta 3 is that there is an infinite number and flavors of Bayonetta, but everyone still is "Oh no! Bayonetta kissed Luka! Oh no! Bayonetta died!" Dudes... you just played a 15-hour game that establishes that it's just one Bayonetta and basically anything is on the table going forward.
This is where I'm at. She's one of MANY Bayonettas, and likely not even the one that we've played as in the first couple games.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia

Yeah. I love Viola. Most people weren't into her gameplay rather than disliking her as a character, but she will obviously get Witch Time as she trains to be an Umbran.

I love that she's just Nero. So awesome.

TM_

Oct 1, 2022
doesnt change the fact that the writing was terrible and every single character was done dirty. yeah yeah this was a multiverse, they were different versions of the characters we knew and loved etc i get it, and i still hated the story and writing, the lack of themes and the absolutely jarring tonal shifts. i'm not even curious about bayo4, if it happens. that's how little i liked the direction that bayo3 took.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
The way he talks about Bayonetta 4 makes me wonder if it is planned to be delivered on a much shorter timetable. What if we get it in a couple of years?

I feel like the Storybook (and the paucity of skins) means DLC is a certainty this time. I certainly hope so.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

Kamiya did say they has ideas up to like Bayo 9 or was it 10? He just needs them greenlit.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Enzo is the main playable character in Bayonetta 4

Pakooly

Jun 25, 2020
doesnt change the fact that the writing was terrible and every single character was done dirty. yeah yeah this was a multiverse, they were different versions of the characters we knew and loved etc i get it, and i still hated the story and writing, the lack of themes and the absolutely jarring tonal shifts. i'm not even curious about bayo4, if it happens. that's how little i liked the direction that bayo3 took.
Imagine not wanting a sequel to Bayonetta 3 because you didn't like the story LMAO. In fact, I find the story of Bayonetta 3 much more entertaining than the one of Bayonetta 1.

Emperor_El

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like a big problem with the storytelling in Bayo 3 is that there's a lot of setup but very little confirmation so you get situations like the Witches getting released from Singularity, attacking him and then dissolving when he hits them which leads to people thinking that their resurrection was temporary and not a sign of them and their worlds being restored. In 1 & 2 someone would've outright said what was happening but in 3 all we get is Singularity saying that Bayonetta's powers out stripped his ability to alter reality.

I wonder if Taylor's fuckery led to lines getting cut/plot beats getting altered?

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I feel like a big problem with the storytelling in Bayo 3 is that there's a lot of setup but very little confirmation so you get situations like the Witches getting released from Singularity, attacking him and then dissolving when he hits them which leads to people thinking that their resurrection was temporary and not a sign of them and their worlds being restored. In 1 & 2 someone would've outright said what was happening but in 3 all we get is Singularity saying that Bayonetta's powers out stripped his ability to alter reality.

I wonder if Taylor's fuckery led to lines getting cut/plot beats getting altered?

I doubt that. If anything I think its clear now what the cameo was they offered her - so I doubt anything changed. At most I can see them originally wanting way more alternative Bayonettas shown (maybe thats where the original open world pitch was coming from) and had to scale that back.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not conveyed particularly overtly (and this has never been a strength of the series), but Kamiya is more or less alluding to what a lot of us seemed to have theorized in the aftermath of the game. There's enough in-game content and postgame content to imply that we haven't seen the last of Cereza by a long shot, even if it's going to be Viola's story from here on out.

I'm still holding onto my theory that it's going to be a Viola protagonist joint through the Fairie world, and that their version of Cereza, or maybe even Jeanne, will be the secondary playable character this time. New generation, brand new means of character development, hopefully an opportunity to dial back a bit on having to one-up its insane escalation.

Platinum apparently pitched Bayonetta 3 around the time that Nintendo commissioned them for the Switch ports of 1 and 2. To me that implies that after Bayonetta 2, it didn't sound like they were too gung-ho about jumping headlong into the next entry. Kamiya was busy with Scalebound at the time and Nintendo's production team commissioned them to make a new IP with Astral Chain. Compared to back then it sounds like Kamiya and team had a lot of ideas during Bayonetta 3's development on what the franchise will be doing next and after playing the game it's definitely chock-full of stuff to build on. Half of the game's story is ostensibly dedicated to brand new world building that isn't paid off in this entry but sure seems like it's going to be hugely important in the next.