• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
youtu.be

Drilling in Deep Water for Shell’s New Platform | With Kari Byron of MythBusters | Ep. 1

Watch how extreme engineering is undertaken and completely reimagined with Kari Byron of MythBusters, as she explores drilling in deep water 5 miles below th...

Shocked there's no thread on this? At least that I could find. I'm admit I didn't keep up that closely with her work post mythbusters beyond just mild curiosity. But didn't think a important scientific voice of my youth would turn full Shell Shill. I understand the reality of changing off of fossil fuels, and the delicate geopolitical dance around it. But man, that's a gut punch for me. An ad plug is one thing, but a 3 year "docu series" as an advert for Shell in this climate. Pun intended. Disappointing.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Wow at the terminology they use like deep water energy? Is that what oil companies calling fossil fuels? Kari involvement in this is very disappointing to say the least. But I guess she gotta pay bills. Has she done anything since mythbusters?

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow at the terminology they use like deep water energy? Is that what oil companies calling fossil fuels? Kari involvement in this is very disappointing to say the least. But I guess she gotta pay bills. Has she done anything since mythbusters?
I looked at her IMDB and she did a role for Orville and. Couple of shows. Creature features and White Rabbit Project. Neither of which I'll admit I watched, just kind of watched clips for in the past.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Was there not a thread on this? I must have read about it elsewhere but yeah, people are pretty pissed she's shilling for big oil.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Saw the reddit thread about it a week ago when it was on the front page.

https://old.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/16pjeyj/former_mythbuster_kari_byron_shilling_for_big_oil/

Apparently the comments in the youtube video back then were shit like this:
HR0L8Aa.png

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
besides grant and obviously jamie/adam i dont think anyone has done much since mythbusters.

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was there not a thread on this? I must have read about it elsewhere but yeah, people are pretty pissed she's shilling for big oil.
I could not find it anywhere, I always search on era search which never actually works. Then I'll Google resetera Shell etc and try to find related threads. I basically never post unless it's OT random or it's unposted.

I didn't even know about this until I saw it on a Reddit cringe thread lol

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Grant advertise for a gas company? I was sure he was in commercials where he was in Singapore for them.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually a fascinating look at how it's done. Just watched parts 1-3 and I'm blown away at the logistics of it all.

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is actually a fascinating look at how it's done. Just watched parts 1-3 and I'm blown away at the logistics of it all.
I don't disagree, but it's obviously a piece commissioned by the company to make themselves look better, especially when building new rigs in the modern era and banking on nostalgia to kind of humanize the element of what we, and Shell absolutely know is massively damaging. Hell Shell knew what they were doing was destroying the ecosystem over 50 years ago and covered it up.