• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cross-posting from the Steam thread, but I did a direct capture (Shadowplay) of some PC gameplay if you're interested to see how it runs:

*let me know if it's not cool to post my own videos, and I can remove the link

Thanks for sharing. I thought the port was going to be a shambles but it looks alright.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Played a couple levels on PC. It's hard to nail down what the framerate is, I think some of the rolling and physics is locked to a lower setting, it seems to speed up (or rather, smooth out) during transitions and non-rolling things. But the framerate counter in Steam stays at 144 the whole time, and it's hard to nail down otherwise just looking at it. I think we'll need DF or NX Gamer to give us a more specific answer to what it's doing. I wonder if this would count as a new game or part of DF Retro? lol

The game's smooth, though, no complaints about how it runs overall. It's been long enough since I've played the original that it doesn't feel that weird doing it with an X360 controller (I thought the offset sticks might feel weird compared to the side-by-side ones on Playstation, but it feels fine).

It's still Katamari, though, and it's still fun. No complaints except the wonky startup sequence before you can adjust the settings... that's an odd choice, but I'm past it, so it doesn't matter any more.

plast

Oct 25, 2017
Bought and installed! Pleasantly surprised to see it was 20 euro instead of 30 on Steam.
And of course, even cheaper on gamesplanet.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just got it from the Smash line. Inside of the case is boring, cartridge is nice enough and the game has a patch. Not able to redeem My Nintendo points gold coins yet.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i just woke up and i'm catching up with TGA, i'll soon update the OP with new info now that the steam version is out

edit: oh wow, 20 euroes but 30 dollars?! lucky you, europeans.
the game still isn't out yet in the US eshop, but you can download the demo now.
could anyone who got the game on steam tell me the game size on pc?

Last edited:

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
Was hoping this would be up for buy on the US eshop when I got home from work. Guess I'll have to decide if wanna buy digital or jam to gamestop in the morning. I wanna get some rollin' time in before my copy of smash arrives or I have to go to work. Whichever comes first :s

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
i just woke up and i'm catching up with TGA, i'll soon update the OP with new info now that the steam version is out

edit: oh wow, 20 euroes but 30 dollars?! lucky you, europeans.

the game still isn't out yet in the US eshop, but you can download the demo now.
could anyone who got the game on steam tell me the game size on pc?
It's refreshing to be once profiting from publishers not understanding how EUR/USD conversion rates work( EUR is both stronger, and you have to account with higher VAT, generally).

I just briefly played the game yesterday, and it seems quite amazing. Great to be experiencing this series on PC as well.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
69LkJWB.png
oh so the controller pics that were datamined from the switch demo were just for the pc version? i thought maybe they were hinting at possible ps4/xbo versions coming later.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
So how is the Switch port holding up? The demo was okay but I am wondering about performance in later levels. Asking because I have the jp retail copy on pre-order.

cnrm

Oct 25, 2017
oh so the controller pics that were datamined from the switch demo were just for the pc version? i thought maybe they were hinting at possible ps4/xbo versions coming later.

Oh wow, I didn't think to check but it actually does have full DualShock 4 support! By connecting my DualShock 4 natively, button graphics and text are replaced with DS4 equivalents.

wbbAqIb.jpg

("SHARE Button")

WguKmuM.jpg

hHhQcCR.jpg

rF1VvAh.jpg

"Press Options", as opposed to "Press Start"

Vibration is still supported, too. It also uses the DualShock 4's light bar; it's static light blue.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, I didn't think to check but it actually does have full DualShock 4 support! By connecting my DualShock 4 natively, button graphics and text are replaced with DS4 equivalents.

wbbAqIb.jpg

("SHARE Button")

WguKmuM.jpg

hHhQcCR.jpg

rF1VvAh.jpg

Vibration is still supported, too. It also uses the DualShock 4's light bar; it's static light blue.
that's great. i guess that answers ephexia 's question
Man I can't wait to play this again after all these years. Do the reviews say if the PC port natively supports DualShock 4?

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$30 is a bit steep for a remake, and I just got Pokemon and Civ for Switch, so I think I'm gonna hold off on it. Hopefully there's a sale at some point (and if not, there'll surely be a steam sale).

cnrm

Oct 25, 2017

wbbAqIb.jpg

("SHARE Button")

WguKmuM.jpg

hHhQcCR.jpg

rF1VvAh.jpg

As it turns out if you change your language to Japanese, O automatically becomes the confirm button and X becomes the cancel button as well; few games actually do that (Ni no Kuni II on PC was another) so that's a nice detail.

cnrm

Oct 25, 2017
Katamari Damacy Reroll apparently relies on a DLL called "PS2 Katamari Simulation" in the Unity plugins. Maybe that's why the controls, physics and such feel so faithful to the original game, while the rest of the game was redone in Unity.
1Tv862n.png

Perhaps that's why some aspects of the game are capped at 30 FPS but several animations are unlocked, because it's a "Frankenstein's monster" of sorts with the underlying game logic taken from the original game?
It's a really interesting effort of engineering, I suppose.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Katamari Damacy Reroll apparently relies on a DLL called "PS2 Katamari Simulation" in the Unity plugins. Maybe that's why the controls, physics and such feel so faithful to the original game, while the rest of the game was redone in Unity.
1Tv862n.png

Perhaps that's why some aspects of the game are capped at 30 FPS but several animations are unlocked, because it's a "Frankenstein's monster" of sorts with the underlying game logic taken from the original game?
since you have the steam version, could you tell me the game size on pc? i want to add it to the OP.

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
I've never actually played this game, but I've listened to its soundtrack a thousand times. The glitchy/quirky/cheerful vibe it provides never fails to cheer me up. Probably among my favorite soundtracks ever. Well, time to correct this omission in my gaming catalogue!

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
1Tv862n.png

Now I really want to know how they made this... it feels so close to the PS2 original that I assumed it was a full source port in another custom engine. The fact it feels so correct while also running in such a versatile engine like Unity is fascinating.

cnrm

Oct 25, 2017
Now I really want to know how they made this... it feels so close to the PS2 original that I assumed it was a full source port in another custom engine. The fact it feels so correct while also running in such a versatile engine like Unity is fascinating.
Indeed, it's doubly interesting since MONKEYCRAFT is a relatively new company (they were founded in 2012) with not a lot of pedigree: They previously did some design/programming contract work for Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time and a Nintendo Switch game by FuRyu that I'm unfamiliar with, and Katamari Damacy Reroll's their third and latest credited game. LWA actually uses Unity too, incidentally. Not sure about the FuRyu game though.
They have at least six other things in the pipeline; the majority are mobile games, one just for Switch.
http://monkeycraft.co.jp/work.html

Oct 25, 2017
My local GameStop had physical copies in so I grabbed one! I never played the original except at a friend's house so I think this should be fun.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
1Tv862n.png

I have to wonder if it can be reverse-engineered at all...

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm reading online that the shop updates at 12 PM EST which should be in 10 minutes...

My local GameStop had physical copies in so I grabbed one! I never played the original except at a friend's house so I think this should be fun.
it's a fantastic game, i wish this was my first time playing the game. i've probably forgotten almost everything about it tho so it'll be pretty much like the first time.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm planning on picking up 2 phys copies tonight, one for me and one for my sister as a xmas gift. Can't wait.