• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Whoever mentioned the responses on the older forum...wow you weren't kidding. Such a shame.

Anyway...I'm glad people can be comfortable in their own skin. Good for her.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Congrats for her! And it's also great that she feels supported and comfortable enough to post this!

Her work at The Coalition has also been amazing!

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Congratulations to her!

I kind of think that she's making her announcement this way so that she can show support to her colleagues who might still be closeted

Christ, you were not kidding. Did that place just go hyper right wing or something after all that went down?

Right after it went down. Apparently they unbanned everyone and the hyper right wingers returned and became the only users.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to her! I'm sure she's happy to be able to work at a place that is inclusive and supportive, as well. Thats makes me happy to see.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Grats!
I can see why the comments locked, Gears is such a dude bro game.
Xbox Twitter replies are as toxic as expected.

Good for her for coming out and I hope she is happier now that she has!
Can we please not turn this into a Gears/Xbox thing, because sadly and disgustingly some people, regardless of the community, are shit and would insult her or others that dare come out and post something like this. Thus the comments are locked on her twitter.

I think it's good that she has the support of people, she cares about and her employer. That's what really matters.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While Googling her, I accidentally got to the old place thread about this and WOW don't go there if you don't want your day ruined. It's basically the polar opposite of this thread. OMG
With all due respect, do we need to talk about that place? Just pretend it doesn't exist - it's better that way.

Let's celebrate Kate's new chapter in her life.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Woah there, pal. The problem is it feels in service of the corporation not the person. She name checks Microsoft, her role, and the studio she works at. Why? I'm sure a large part is due to her being proud to work there and happy that they support her. But it's also to promote a favourable image of Microsoft as a company. Somewhere, in a board meeting, some line on some graph showed that being inclusive (which: yes, good) equals more revenue. So initiatives were put in place to promote this kind of thing.

Like I said, I'm glad Kate can live her life exactly the way she wants but there are so many people who can't, whose identities have been invalidated over and over for years and years by billion dollar corporations totally uninterested in their well being. People who did the work, wrote the rulebooks, got the message out, only for the corporations that oppressed them to swoop in last minute and co-opt their struggle for profit.

It's the overriding sense that people can't just be people in this capitalist hellscape: they have to be their work, they have to be their brands.

You don't get to control how someone comes out. Fuck off with this dude.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This news makes me so glad. I can see why some might be cynical about the PR aspect given how companies use social media, but the bottom line is that making a very public display of having a trans person in a leadership position helps to normalize this and give trans people hope for progress. Diversity, especially in leadership positions, is absolutely something to be proud of and public about because it can set a positive trend

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Please don't police someone's deeply personal message or their co-workers show of support. This means a lot to them and you're just playing thought police, and for what?

nobody should read a thread like this and come away worried about how they phrase their coming out to not be too corporate.

I appreciate this.

Happy for her. I hope she gets some visibility at events. The median gamer is....not supportive and I'd be a lot more comfortable if that were to change.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
this is great! congrats to her!

very nice to see the supports from her industry colleagues.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
That's great!
Phil really should have made that QRT mention-replyable only, considering the original tweet is. There's a lot of disgusting replies :( why are gamers like this.

Dec 25, 2018
Good for her.
The team at TC pulled off some amazing stuff in Gears 5 thanks to her and the technical team, look forward to seeing what technical wizardry she brings to the next game.