• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Video game fans around the globe took to Twitter to stream and react to the biggest announcements and surprises from the convention. The social media platform has exclusively revealed to The Hollywood Reporter which games, companies and moments drove the conversation of this year's E3.

The biggest moment of the event on Twitter was Nintendo's press conference on Tuesday morning, which unveiled gameplay from Luigi's Mansion 3, the remake of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening and teased a Breath of the Wildsequel.

Keanu Reeves' surprise appearance at Xbox's press conference on Sunday afternoon, after the reveal that he would be starring in CD Projekt Red's Cyberpunk 2077, was the second-most-tweeted-about moment, while Square Enix's debuts of new Final Fantasy VII remake gameplay and Marvel's Avengers project announcement at Monday evening's presser were third.

Nintendo earned the most tweets of any game publisher this year, followed by Xbox, Sony (impressive, considering the Japanese company was absent from this year's convention), Square Enix and Bethesda. Additionally, each major game publisher that held a press conference this year (EA on Saturday, Xbox and Bethesda on Sunday, Ubisoft and Square on Monday and Nintendo on Tuesday) earned the No. 1 spot on Twitter's trending topics list during its presentation.

Of the newly-announced titles at this year's E3, the Final Fantasy VII remake was the most-tweeted-about new game of the convention, followed by Cyberpunk 2077 and Nintendo's Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 and Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Square's Marvel's Avengers project rounded out the top five.

SOURCE

Biggest Press Events:
  1. Nintendo
  2. Microsoft
  3. Square Enix
Biggest Publishers:
  1. Nintendo
  2. Xbox
  3. PlayStation
  4. Square Enix
  5. Bethesda
Biggest Games:
  1. Final Fantasy 7 Remake
  2. Cyberpunk 2077
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2
  4. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  5. The Avengers
--

Nintendo on the whole appears to have done very well; good on Sony for getting as high on the publishers mention as they did, given they weren't even there. Goes to show you the extent of the PS4's absolute pervasiveness, really.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Twitter is Nintendo haven whenever Smash, Zelda, Pokémon or any of their big hitters is still in play

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild 2 being higher than Animal Crossing is surprising.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone I'm following/follows me has been talking about nothing but the Final Fantasy VII remake and replaying/playing the original for the first time.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Surprised to see FFVIIR above Cyberpunk. Guessing that's more of a Twitter thing. I know from these types of Twitter analysis in the past, Twitter has tended to sway more Nintendo and Japanese than they YouTube or other (predominantly Western) gaming outlets. Also surprised Sony is the third biggest publisher given they weren't even there.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
The Top 5 Words used by gamers on forums over E3 were -

1. Underwhelming (ironically by an overwhelming amount)
2. Generic.
3. Boring
4. Disappointed.
5. Sucks.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I can't speak the amount of joy that gives me seeing a non violent non objectified cute IP focused on non dudebros beat the Avengers IP in biggest game

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised to see FFVIIR above Cyberpunk. Guessing that's more of a Twitter thing. I know from these types of Twitter analysis in the past, Twitter has tended to sway more Nintendo and Japanese than they YouTube or other (predominantly Western) gaming outlets. Also surprised Sony is the third biggest publisher given they weren't even there.
Final Fantasy 7 may be in contention for being the most beloved game of all time; a well done remake of that, which the showing absolutely looked to be, will utterly dominate conversation at the expense of everything else, which is what has happened here.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow... @ Playstation being on no. 3 even without a real showing.

Interesting to see that Final Fantasy 7 and Cyberpunk placed above Breath of the Wild 2.

Next year is going to be crazy.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy 7 may be in contention for being the most beloved game of all time; a well done remake of that, which the showing absolutely looked to be, will utterly dominate conversation at the expense of everything else, which is what has happened here.

FFVII is my fave game of all time, but like I said, I'm pretty sure it coming out on top of Cyberpunk is more of a Twitter thing. YouTube viewing statistics have Cyberpunk well ahead of FFVIIR, and I'm confident in predicting Cyberpunk will be the much bigger seller too. Cyberpunk also took IGN readers Game of the Show (roughly double the number of votes as FFVIIR, which came in second), even though new gameplay wasn't even shown lol.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow... @ Playstation being on no. 3 even without a real showing.

Interesting to see that Final Fantasy 7 and Cyberpunk placed above Breath of the Wild 2.

Next year is going to be crazy.
FF7R and Cyberpunk got far more extensive showings than Zelda's trailer, which is 50 seconds of out of context footage, followed by a "this game is now in development"; there isn't even a proper title card lol.

That said, yeah, mad props to the degree to which PlayStation permeates all things gaming.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFVII is my fave game of all time, but like I said, I'm pretty sure it coming out on top of Cyberpunk is more of a Twitter thing. YouTube viewing statistics have Cyberpunk well ahead of FFVIIR, and I'm confident in predicting Cyberpunk will be the much bigger seller too. Cyberpunk also took IGN readers Game of the Show (roughly double the number of votes as FFVIIR, which came in second), even though new gameplay wasn't even shown lol.
For what it's worth, given how much better FF7R looks to be than Cyberpunk, I sincerely hope it also ends up outselling the latter, lol.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
Lots of folks talking about that Avengers game, that's for damn sure. Not sure if the conversations were what they expected, though.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
Breath of the Wild 2 being higher than Animal Crossing is surprising.

I was so mad at the delay that I didn't bother watching anything about the gameplay or anything AC related after the presentation. That was my most anticipated game.

Judging by what I have heard, it looks Pokémon needs the extra time more than animal crossing.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Good of FF VII to beat out Cyberpunk given that Keanu Reeves moment went viral.
Animal Crossing a top 5 game of E3 how bout that and Era will continue to act like the series isn't a huge deal

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I was so mad at the delay that I didn't bother watching anything about the gameplay or anything AC related after the presentation. That was my most anticipated game.

Judging by what I have heard, it looks Pokémon needs the extra time more than animal crossing.
You refused to watch anything about your most-anticipated game because it got delayed 3-4 months to ensure that devs/localisation team wouldnt have to clock in massive overtime just before the Holidays?
Erm....ok.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
I wonder if FFVII getting more attention on Twitter over CP has anything to do with how big Twitter is in Japan. Since FFVII is such a landmark title for both east and the west it would make sense that combination of both userbases would put it on top.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I wonder how many of those conversations about Avengers and Cyberpunk were about the lack of gameplay shown, or National Dex for Pokémon

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I mean Banjo, Halo and Keanu is basically all anyone is going to remember of E3 this year.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
What a missed opportunity by MS.
Not really sure what more they could have done give it's probably the last year of this generation.

I think they made the best of what they had. I blame gobshites on twitter getting people to excited and raising expectations to levels that could never be fulfilled.

Saikar

Nov 3, 2017
Keanu looked 20% sober TOPS during that appearance and its definitely going down as one of the more memorable parts of the E3. That and the gal with the silly movements. Before FF7's trailers, games were taking a definite backseat to those two lol

Ryuun

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
CT
Not really sure what more they could have done give it's probably the last year of this generation.

I think they made the best of what they had. I blame gobshites on twitter getting people to excited and raising expectations to levels that could never be fulfilled.

I think if MS showed gameplay instead of CG trailers for their games (especially gears) I would have been more impressed. They had a few good things, like gamepass on PC and that lego forza game looks fun.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017

- On stage demo for xCloud -> the big takeaway from this E3 is that for better or worse (obviously we'll see which strategy will pay off more in the long run), Microsoft's plans on cloud streaming aren't as ambitious as Google for now.

- Project Scarlett teaser was a bit underwhelming for me: it was 1:1 identical to Project Scorpio (Xbox One X), you need to explain people why this is more than another mid-gen upgrade. Sony with that Wired article went into the specifics on how practically PS5 is better than PS4 and PS4 Pro, i was expecting something like that from Microsoft at E3.

- Then unfortunately leaks ruined the biggest surprises.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

Gears had a terrible showing. How is there no gameplay or story trailer for your big showcase game coming out in 3 months?