werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
"Both Roberta and I are trying to think of what to do next. I'd like to do something with one of the old Sierra series, but need Microsoft's permission. I'll contact them and see what happens."

There's also a new 35 minute video from Roberta Williams.

It's also the 40th year anniversary of the original King's Quest.

For those who haven't been keeping up to date, after a long hiatus from game development, they did a remake of the original Colossal Cave. It came out on Steam last year.

store.steampowered.com

Colossal Cave on Steam

Acclaimed game designer Roberta Williams revives Colossal Cave as a retro, point-&-click, cave exploration puzzler. Based on the original 1970’s design by Will Crowther & Don Woods this 3D update maintains its vintage charm, while revitalizing it for modern gamers.

Update:
"I asked Roberta while driving, an hour ago, if she was serious about being interested in making another King's Quest. I have senior contacts at Microsoft and could easily ask the right person. She said not to contact them. We're both torn as to what to do. Game development is fun, and we'd both love to do another game, but it is an enormous time commitment. We put two years of our lives into Colossal Cave, and are still working on the game. A King's Quest game that could compete in today's market would be a massive undertaking, and probably a four or five year effort. I do see us doing another game, but we're not at all certain we want to tackle something on that magnitude."

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
that colossal cave remake wasnt too bad after the update

im interested

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Oh crazy I had no idea about Colossal Cave. Anyway, lets go Quest for Glory.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
i love me some Tandy King's Quest

I'd love for them to revive Space Quest and make Roger Wilco a household name personally but I don't know if the Guys from Andromeda are still in the industry.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
hi-res-adventure-1-mystery-house_2.gif

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'd love a modern Phantasmagoria. Do it like the recent Tex Murphy games or Sam Barlow's titles and I'd be there day 1.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Roberta Williams popped back up out of nowhere with a remake of CCA a year ago was not a thing I expected to read today

KQ2015 was kind of the perfect capstone for that series, but if she wanted to take another swing at it somehow I'd be there in a heartbeat.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Good on them for still going strong all these years.

I follow Lori and Corey Cole of "Quest for Glory" fame as well given their series was originally under Sierra as well. I'd honestly be down for anything.

Oct 27, 2017
i love me some Tandy King's Quest

I'd love for them to revive Space Quest and make Roger Wilco a household name personally but I don't know if the Guys from Andromeda are still in the industry.
One half of them have been somewhat working on their Kickstarter game SpaceVenture for 12 years now, while the other half will block you on Twitter if you ask him about it.

OP
OP
werezompire

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
but I don't know if the Guys from Andromeda are still in the industry.

They did a kickstarter over a decade ago that was a complete mess. The game still hasn't officially released, although they released a beta build to backers a year ago (which apparently is super buggy & far from sellable).

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
there's nothing I'm more nostalgic about than classic computer adventure games. I'll take anything they can bring back.

Gorger

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Both protagonists from Phantasmagorias 1 and 2 are actually active on a youtube gaming/interview channel and they are both excited and willing to star or be part of a future Phantasmagoria 3. Roberta has been coming onto their channel talking and reminiscing about Phantasmagoria lately. Roberta did always say it was her favorite game, so I really hope they are thinking about doing Phantasmagoria 3. If they need to kickstart it or whatever, I'll support them Day 1.

Gorger

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Norway

Space Quest wasn't really Roberta's thing. She was the brain behind King's Quest and Phantasmagoria, and I believe those two franchises are what's closest to her heart. They did already try and resurrect King's Quest in 2015 and made it into an episodic telltale style game, but I don't think Roberta took part in making that game.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Old school sierra games were some of my favorite of all time, and one of my favorite companies growing up. However these games aged very badly and some of Roberta's last few games were pretty awful. Hoping for the best though.

Gorger

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I'd love a modern Phantasmagoria. Do it like the recent Tex Murphy games or Sam Barlow's titles and I'd be there day 1.

I'd actually love it if they'd make it like the original Phantasmagoria and The Beast Within, where we could see the character on screen and click around to interact with the character. I really wonder how that would look like with modern technology.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
King's Quest reboot/reimagining would be nice.

How nostalgic seeing my brother played it a long time ago.

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
I know it won't be this as it wasn't really a Ken/Roberta Williams project.

But I got into Gabriel Knight about a year ago and would love to see more of it.

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately won't be Space Quest, Quest for Glory, or Gabriel Knight. But I guess I'd be up for an FMV game of questionable quality. So bring on the Phantasmagoria!

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
6-1-3750-13.jpg

Bring back Front Page Sports Football Sierra!!!

This game came out 30 years ago and has more features than Madden. Create leagues, teams, players, plays, franchise mode, everything. This game series, and FPS Baseball are sadly forgotten to time but they were DA BEST!

OP
OP
werezompire

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Some random things from the video.

She put a possible treatment of how King's Quest 9 could have gone up on the Internet a few years ago, but doesn't have it any more, so if anyone can find it, great.

Her favorite games in the series are KQ1, 3, and 5. 1 is the first, she likes how different the design was with 3, and 5 is the first one she mentioned in her favorite list. She also mentioned that she knows that 6 is a fan favorite.

Her favorite King's Quest character is Rosella. She says she thinks she might be the first female protagonist in a game (she's not, but she is one of the first major ones).

Colossal Cave was what got her into computer games, which is why she did the remake.

She thinks adventure games have lost their way a bit. Turned into Action/Adventure games with jumping, running, killing, dystopian, fighting, swords, guns, etc. Some games went another direction - they're more like interactive movies. She knows she did that herself, but she still tried hard with Phantasmagoria for it to still be a good adventure game, ignoring the video aspect.

Also, there's a moment in the video near the end where Ken is fiddling with the camera and he comes on camera.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Cool...

Sweet...

DAGNABIT!!!

To be fair, Microsoft does license out some properties it doesn't actively develop. Because of random IP contract insanity, Microsoft owns the Battletech/Mechwarrior series and Shadowrun, only in the realm of video games. However, the semi-recent Shadowrun, Battletech, and Mechwarrior games did not have Microsoft's involvement. Shadowrun and Battletech were published by Paradox and developed by Hairbrained schemes. Mechwarrior 5 was developed and published by Pirahna. As far as I can tell, they've all been Gamepass games since their launches.

I would imagine that some license fee plus a gamepass deal, and they'd be fine with Ken and Roberta doing whatever with whatever old Sierra property.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be equally excited for a new Phantasmagoria or a new Laura Bow. Phantasmagoria 1 and The Dagger of Amon-Ra are two of my favorite adventure games.

I have to get around to the Kings' Quest games soon.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
you know what was my shit?

The_Colonel%27s_Bequest_-_Cover.jpg

i loved that it was an adventure murder mystery

i think i still have my old notebook where i wrote down essentially my own walkthrough

pic1.png

the vibes are immaculate

OP
OP
werezompire

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Update:
"I asked Roberta while driving, an hour ago, if she was serious about being interested in making another King's Quest. I have senior contacts at Microsoft and could easily ask the right person. She said not to contact them. We're both torn as to what to do. Game development is fun, and we'd both love to do another game, but it is an enormous time commitment. We put two years of our lives into Colossal Cave, and are still working on the game. A King's Quest game that could compete in today's market would be a massive undertaking, and probably a four or five year effort. I do see us doing another game, but we're not at all certain we want to tackle something on that magnitude."

you know what was my shit?

The_Colonel%27s_Bequest_-_Cover.jpg

i loved that it was an adventure murder mystery

i think i still have my old notebook where i wrote down essentially my own walkthrough

pic1.png

the vibes are immaculate

Have you seen this?

store.steampowered.com

The Crimson Diamond on Steam

Follow amateur geologist and reluctant detective Nancy Maple to the ghost town of Crimson, Ontario to investigate the discovery of a massive diamond in this retro-inspired, EGA text parser mystery adventure!

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Have you seen this?

store.steampowered.com

The Crimson Diamond on Steam

Follow amateur geologist and reluctant detective Nancy Maple to the ghost town of Crimson, Ontario to investigate the discovery of a massive diamond in this retro-inspired, EGA text parser mystery adventure!
yup, i played the demo (which is the first chapter) back in 2020, she's been working on making it even better and is gonna release the full game instead of releasing it piecemeal as originally planned

should be out sometime this year, cant wait for it

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would honestly love a new King's Quest made by Roberta that looked like an old King's Quest.