• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Reported by Famitsu:
https://s.famitsu.com/news/201903/27173600.html

Kenichiro Takaki who is known for having created the Senran Kagura series has left Marvelous! after 13 years.

Google Translated part of the article:
On the occasion of the weekly magazine Famitsu April 11, 2019 (released on March 28, 2019) and Famitsu.com, interviews with Mr. Takaki at this opportunity.

Credit to Fukuzatsu for translating part of the article:
"We asked Takaki about his reasons for leaving [Marvelous], the future of the 'Senran Kagura' series, and his ventures into new territory, as well as new 'multi-media projects' at Marvelous, (first revealed here)."

Update:

According to Gematsu, apparently he's left Marvelous! But is still the producer of the Senran Kagura series:

https://gematsu.com/2019/03/kenichi...-remains-producer-of-the-senran-kagura-series

Senran Kagura series producer Kenichiro Takaki has left Marvelous to set sail on a new voyage, but will continue to work as the "huge boobs producer" of titles like Senran Kagura, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals.

Update from Gematsu, there's a lot more in the link:
https://gematsu.com/2019/03/kenichi...-remains-producer-of-the-senran-kagura-series

First tidbits have come in from Weekly Famitsu. According to the magazine, Takaki's biggest reasons for leaving Marvelous were restrictions on the depiction of sexual content. He felt that a thread had snapped within him. He said that while sexual content is often criticized, there are many that enjoy it. Takaki believed that such variation was one of the things that supported the games industry, but when it was so easily broken, it made him think about various things. Takaki welcomes restrictions and regulations that protect specific scopes and genres. However, he feels the recent trend will definitely have a chilling effect.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm going to guess that whatever was going on with SK wasn't to his liking, so he decided to leave and try his luck elsewhere and with a new IP.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I'm going to guess that whatever was going on with SK wasn't to his liking, so he decided to leave and try his luck elsewhere and with a new IP.
Like... It was getting too creepy, or not creepy enough? I'm not familiar with the franchise history or what it used to be like.

My wife is sitting nearby so you'll forgive me for not Googling it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Like... It was getting too creepy, or not creepy enough? I'm not familiar with the franchise history or what it uses to be like.

I'm going to take a guess and say Marvelous was wanting to Tone things down in the series and he wasn't a big fan of that (Due to Sony's new rules).
Remember, this is the "Tits are Life, Ass is Hometown" guy afterall.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
OP is updated since Google Translate was off regarding what it translated from the article.

Oct 26, 2017
I do highly wonder what this means for Marvelous and Senran Kagura going forward. I'm pretty sure Senran Kagura was almost their bread and butter for the last gen no? It even seemed to overshadow Story of Seasons.

At least we have Yoshifumi Hashimoto and his team at Hakama (which is part of Marvelous).

Oct 26, 2017
What's this bit?

"We asked Takaki about his reasons for leaving [Marvelous], the future of the 'Senran Kagura' series, as well as his ventures into new territory at Marvelous, including new 'multi-media projects' (first revealed here)."

Is he still there or not?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Like... It was getting too creepy, or not creepy enough? I'm not familiar with the franchise history or what it used to be like.

Not creepy enough I guess, since their more recent titles outside of his stuff were God Eater 3, Daemon x Machina, Rune Factory 5 (I think they're the ones doing it?), Fate Musous, etc.

Oct 26, 2017
First Studio's really becoming a name for themselves there. Daemon X Machina being their biggest game at the moment IMO. Plus they do the Fate/Extella games, God Eater 3, and just prior to being given their name, they did Monster Hunter Stories on 3DS.

Aaaand, what the fuck happened with Entersphere? The team formed by EPD Kyoto folks that made Army Corps of Hell on Vita? Marvelous bought them years ago with not a peep since. And didn't Ken Kutaragi join Marvelous? What's he been up to?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Well that sucks was looking forward to whatever Senran Kagura SEVEN was going to be. Sounds like his plans were really railroaded by Sony. :(

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
First Studio's really becoming a name for themselves there. Daemon X Machina being their biggest game at the moment IMO. Plus they do the Fate/Extella games, God Eater 3, and just prior to being given their name, they did Monster Hunter Stories on 3DS.

Aaaand, what the fuck happened with Entersphere? The team formed by EPD Kyoto folks that made Army Corps of Hell on Vita? Marvelous bought them years ago with not a peep since. And didn't Ken Kutaragi join Marvelous? What's he been up to?
Woah, I had no idea about that.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Weird, that he didn't try to move his games to Nintendo first, as at least there he wouldn't be hit by the censor hammer.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I'm convinced he left because he didn't want Senran on the switch. He kept acting like Nintendo would do the same censorship as Sony.

Oct 27, 2017
Well that's really unfortunate, he must have really didn't want to move the series to Switch lol. Wonder what this means for the future of the franchise and what Takaki's future is, is Honey Parade independent?

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
WQSOcyz.gif

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, I am very curious what he will do next.

If I had a guess, he wasn't happy with Sony's new policies.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I'm convinced he left because he didn't want Senran on the switch. He kept acting like Nintendo would do the same censorship as Sony.
The Switch Senran games are as lewd as the other ones, and it's not like the main ones require powerful hardware so he could have easily shifted them over there. I don't know what his problem is.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
RIP Senran Kagura 7

All good things must come to an end sadly, I looked those games and his approach to them. Oh well hope he does well in whatever he does next. Sucks Sony shit probably pushed him to do this but it isn't like Nintendo had a problem with the games that have released on it. Damn.

Tits are life, ass is hometown.

Oct 26, 2017

That makes no sense when Reflexions released on Switch entirely intact, in fact wasn't it exactly the same as the mode removed in Re:Newal on PS4 because of Sony?

Then again, he is the one who said he'd rather put the series on XBO and even wanted a Vita 2 so... :P

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Which is funny, as Nintendo themselves has never order third party games to censor their games after the SNES era, while Sony has had with current gens starting with the PS2. All censorship now is only for first party games.

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Noooooooooooooooo

SK just won't be the same without him. I look forward to whatever he works on elsewhere but...this just sucks. I'll admit the Senran Kagura games weren't exactly amazing, but I thought they made for dumb fun and a nice timepasser when bored. Also Ryona.
Hopefully he goes on to create eroge on PC :)
This would legitimately be a great way for him to move. I just worry he wouldn't be able to get the budget he'd want that way.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finally Tamsoft can go back to working on games that respect women such as Oneechanbara and Neptunia.

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Finally Tamsoft can go back to working on games that respect women such as Oneechanbara and Neptunia.
How do the Oneechanbara games compare to Senran anyways? I remember when Shinovi Versus came out on PC, Oneechanbara Z2 Chaos got a surprise release on PC at the same time and I had trouble deciding which to get. I kinda didn't like Oneechanbara's art direction and was suggested to go with Senran so I went with that. Does Oneechanbara play better?