• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
When ANH was made, Vader did kill Anakin. Vader being Luke's father was a retcon and creates a couple inconsistincies in the OT. Like the fact that Vader can sense Obi Wan and Luke but couldn't sense Leia standing right infront of his face.
While it makes sense that ANH didn't have the father/sister part planned, doesn't Vader only sense Luke after Obi-Wan has started training him?

Lwyn

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Jul 2, 2018

The fifth point there.

WTF, why. Makes no sense. Calling it all fake.

"-Po Dameron has apparently been elected the leader of the First Order"

I didn't know Poe switched sides.

This is so goddamn painful to read. This is 999% fake

Just reading the first bullet points and that guy is so full of it lmfao.

lol. nah. you dont need to spoiler this.

The fact that a Jedi is named Teminri Blagg has got me thinking this maybe real. We all know that stupid Jedi names are a trademark of Star Wars.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
J.J is directing again. Who knows what he might be up to.
And co-written by Chris Terrio, who we know would never, ever write something silly and stupid surrounding someone's parentage (ahem).

The fact that a Jedi is named Teminri Blagg has got me thinking this maybe real. We all know that stupid Jedi names are a trademark of Star Wars.
Temiri Blagg is the name of the kid in TLJ

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Temiri_Blagg

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe "undone" is the wrong word, but he clearly went in a different direction from what TFA set up. J.J might now do the exact same again

JJ left many things in TFA purposefully vague to allow them wiggle room for the sequels. That's why we got all the crazy speculation about Rey being a Skywalker, a Kenobi, a Palpatine, a clone etc. Same with Luke's absence and Snoke. He left it all open for the next person to run with.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe "undone" is the wrong word, but he clearly went in a different direction from what TFA set up. J.J might now do the exact same again
I assume you're referring to Rey's parents, in which case I would have to disagree. The film leaves it completely open-ended and it could even be argued that it points towards them being nobody, with Rey being urged to stop waiting for them to come back.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly have no idea if Chris Terrio is a good writer or not, I mean, he wrote Argo which I remember being a fine movie but then everything else he has written was poor but also co-written.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And co-written by Chris Terrio, who we know would never, ever write something silly and stupid surrounding someone's parentage (ahem).

Why am I JUST NOW learning that this piece of shit hack is involved?

How does the moron who co-wrote BvS and Justice League keep getting work!?

I have NO FAITH in IX anymore. NONE.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
Why am I JUST NOW learning that this piece of shit hack is involved?

How does the more who co-wrote BvS and Justice League keep getting work!?

I have NO FAITH in IX anymore. NONE.
To be fair, he shared writing credits on both those films, while for Argo, which was pretty okay, he was the only credited writer. He won an Academy Award for it, so that's why he keeps getting work.

Still, that he wrote enough of those films to get credit is enough to give pause.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Larry Kasdan is still involved so I don't think we need to worry too much.

I can no longer hold that as a good thing either. I mean, I liked Solo. But, it was just a fun romp. There wasn't a whole lot of depth or even really amazing creativity on display. And, TFA was retread mediocrity. The only thing I'm hoping is that he'll make sure Finn is properly beefed up. But man, I just don't know. Terrio is a complete hack and JJ doesn't exactly inspire confidence with me. This movie really needs to stick the landing and Rian has given them a complete blank slate to do so, yet I feel like they'll still screw it up somehow. Or rather they'll go back to the basics and make ROTJ 2.0 dooming the franchise into safety.

To be fair, he shared writing credits on both those films, while for Argo, which was pretty okay, he was the only credited writer. He won an Academy Award for it, so that's why he keeps getting work.

Still, that he wrote enough of those films to get credit is enough to give pause.

Argo was based on a true story. It's hard to get off track and write complete nonsense when you have an actual, clear historical guide to follow.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Kasdan thing confirmed or hinted anywhere else that didn't derive from the original Variety article? It was a misprint that they since corrected to Terrio.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I assume you're referring to Rey's parents, in which case I would have to disagree. The film leaves it completely open-ended and it could even be argued that it points towards them being nobody, with Rey being urged to stop waiting for them to come back.
Not just Rey's parents. We recently learned that J.J actually wanted to turn Luke into some Jedi Superman, so he had some thoughts about the future episodes. It wouldn't surprise me if he had different plans for Rey as well

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Not just Rey's parents. We recently learned that J.J actually wanted to turn Luke into some Jedi Superman, so he had some thoughts about the future episodes. It wouldn't surprise me if he had different plans for Rey as well
This was all before either film was released, J.J. got the point and loved it, he's not retconning it. If anything, we'll get the equivalent of this scene:
y

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Argo was based on a true story. It's hard to get off track and write complete nonsense when you have an actual, clear historical guide to follow.
And even with that, there was a lot of controversy surrounding Argo's script, with Canadian officials pretty much denouncing the movie for minimizing the role of the Canadians during the event the film is based on and giving an unfair amount of credit to the CIA.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I can no longer hold that as a good thing either. I mean, I liked Solo. But, it was just a fun romp. There wasn't a whole lot of depth or even really amazing creativity on display. And, TFA was retread mediocrity. The only thing I'm hoping is that he'll make sure Finn is properly beefed up. But man, I just don't know. Terrio is a complete hack and JJ doesn't exactly inspire confidence with me. This movie really needs to stick the landing and Rian has given them a complete blank slate to do so, yet I feel like they'll still screw it up somehow. Or rather they'll go back to the basics and make ROTJ 2.0 dooming the franchise into safety.

I'm not particularly excited, I'm expecting a similar movie to TFA. Slick but slightly stale. JJ will maintain Johnson's path for the characters but not attempt anything too ambitious.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif
She has only been a lead in one of the best tv shows.

Oct 25, 2017
TFA - Rey doesn't know who her parents are and is in denial about them coming back for her.
TLJ - Rey knew all along her parents were nobodies who abandoned her. She just buried that truth which lead to her denial.

Do you not see how those things lead into each other?

There's nothing to course correct. JJ set it up in a way for it to go anywhere.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Kerri Russel use to remind me of the Noxema girl, so definitely love her.

Can't wait to see what she delivers in the film, great actress.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
I agree to an extent, however it is still not that easy to write something compelling. I think there are plenty of examples that show just how easy is to get off track when writing about real events however. I think Argo's screenplay was reasonably strong in any case.

It may also be worth noting Snyder's creative influence on his films from a story perspective, I think most people would be willing to considered him an auteur, even if he wasn't credited for the screenplay. For those films, I don't think you can really pin the issues, which are pretty consistent with and inherent to Snyder's work, on the writing.

But again, Chris Terrio still played some part in crafting those turds, so my expectations are not coming from a good place. I do not like that a straight line could be drawn from those films to IX.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I'm inclined to think if they go the Rey's Mom route Kylo was speaking half-truths. Her parents are nobodies but they are alive.