• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
2022161b_0.JPG

2022161a_0.JPG

It would seem that Kia dealers have some work to do for the sake of the customers. A recent J.D. Power study shows that customers haven't been enjoying the Kia dealer experience, which is kind of essential to selling cars. Those interactions and impressions have landed the Korean automaker dead last in customer satisfaction across all mass-market brands.

Around 37,000 dealer customers received the annual survey, where they were asked to judge their experience at the respective dealer from the time they walked onto the lot — through getting the keys and driving into the sunset. Out of 16 mass-market brands, Kia came in dead last scoring 754 on a 1,000-point scale. J.D. Power says the industry average is 782.

What's interesting when you take into account the fact that Kia reps at both the corporate and the dealer level can't seem to agree on what's behind this low rating. Kia's chief operating officer for the U.S., Steve Center, spoke to Wards Auto at the LA Auto Show, "That is absolutely the most unacceptable business outcome. We don't want to be Sears," he said. While he didn't provide an exact layout on what dealers should do to improve he did say they don't have a choice but to improve. "They have to find a way to meet customer expectations."

But there is still a disconnect between dealers and corporate. While an executive can say that dealers must improve their customer service, there's not much they can do to make them improve because of dealer franchise laws. The dealers want to be left alone even though there's clear evidence they dont have the customer's interest in mind when they step foot in a dealership. From markups that could help to neuter some of its hottest products, to outright fraud from dealer employees. Kia customers may be satisfied with their vehicles. But that satisfaction can't come until people feel comfortable enough to even talk to you about their interest in your vehicles.
jalopnik.com

Customers Are Really Not Impressed With Kia Dealers

The latest J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction survey placed the Korean brand dead last.

Another key study finding is that electric vehicle (EV) buyers continue to have less satisfying sales experiences than do buyers of traditional gas-powered vehicles in both the premium and mass market segments. For example, satisfaction among owners of mass market battery electric vehicles (BEVs) is 56 points lower than among owners of gas-powered vehicles (791 vs. 847, respectively) and satisfaction among owners of premium BEVs is 33 points lower than among owners of gas-powered vehicles (831 vs. 864, respectively).

"If EVs are going to be the wave of the future, rapid improvements need to be made to close the gaps in factors such as product knowledge and vehicle delivery," Sutton said. "There is no doubt that the products are coming, but from a customer purchase experience standpoint, the dealerships are just not there yet."

Following are key findings of the 2022 study:

• Sticker price a demarcation point for new-vehicle buyers: Although inventory shortages have prompted many dealers to charge more than the suggested price for new vehicles, the practice has had a negative effect on overall satisfaction. Satisfaction among buyers who paid more than sticker price is 757, while satisfaction among those who paid sticker price is 850. Among buyers of mass market vehicles, 25% paid more than MSRP compared with just 19% among buyers of premium vehicles.
  • Special orders may be special solution to sales satisfaction: Satisfaction is higher among buyers who special ordered a vehicle for later delivery (854) than among those who bought a vehicle from the dealer's lot (841). Additionally, dealer communication of vehicle status during the ordering and build process helps drive real differentiation in customer experience.
  • EV buyers could use some show and tell: More than one-third (38%) of EV buyers failed to get instruction on EV charging before they left the dealership, which notably affects satisfaction. Satisfaction is 872 among buyers of premium EVs who received a demonstration but drops to 709 when there wasn't a demonstration. Among buyers of mass market EVs, satisfaction is 835, and declines to 717 when there wasn't a demonstration. "Explaining how to charge the vehicle should be a mandatory part of every EV delivery," Sutton said. "Salespeople don't need to show gas-powered vehicle buyers how to fill their tank, but they do need to show EV buyers how to charge their vehicle."
  • Dealership visits decrease as buyers become more satisfied with digital retailing: The lack of inventory has made it less important to visit dealerships as buyers seem to be getting ever more comfortable with online shopping and purchasing activities. This year, 85% of buyers say they visited a dealership during the purchase process, down from 88% in 2021. At the same time, many online activities have increased. For instance, 18% of buyers who visited the website of their selling brand or dealer say they completed the purchase paperwork online, up from 13% a year ago. Also notable is that 18% of buyers say they agreed to a final purchase price online, up from 15% in 2021.

Study Rankings

Alfa Romeo ranks highest in sales satisfaction among premium brands with a score of 833. Porsche (831) ranks second and Lexus (819) ranks third.

Buick ranks highest in sales satisfaction among mass market brands, with a score of 825. Dodge (816) ranks second and Subaru (804) ranks third.

Now in its 37th year, the U.S. Sales Satisfaction Index (SSI) Study measures satisfaction with the sales experience among new-vehicle buyers and rejecters (those who shop a dealership and purchase elsewhere). Buyer satisfaction is based on six factors (in order of importance): delivery process (26%); dealer personnel (24%); working out the deal (19%); paperwork completion (18%); dealership facility (10%); and dealership website (4%). Rejecter satisfaction is based on five factors: salesperson (40%); price (23%); facility (14%); variety of inventory (11%); and negotiation (11%).

The 2022 U.S. Sales Satisfaction Index (SSI) Study is based on responses from 36,879 buyers who purchased or leased their new vehicle from March through May 2022. The study is a comprehensive analysis of the new-vehicle purchase experience and measures customer satisfaction with the selling dealer (satisfaction among buyers). The study also measures satisfaction with brands and dealerships that were shopped but ultimately rejected in favor of the selling dealership (satisfaction among rejecters). The study was fielded from July through September 2022.

2022 U.S. Sales Satisfaction Index (SSI) Study

Although the pandemic may be over, vehicle buyers are still suffering from its effect on new-vehicle production. With new-vehicle inventory remaining very low, transaction prices have significantly increased—and consumers are not happy about it. Customer satisfaction with the vehicle purchase...

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Hey no complaints about my Jaguar. Happy enough with my F-Pace that I bought it. (While waiting for my Lotus to hit the market). Surprised to see Dodge that high, but I hear so little about Dodge I would have forgotten they even existed if not for the Hellcat.

also, damn @ Genesis. I see a bunch of GV70's and 80s rolling around after all the buzz last year. 😬

naitosan

Oct 28, 2017
Subaru for me. Always have very pleasant experiences with my forester as well people at the dealer.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Subaru for the past 7+ years I've dealt with them for the 2 WRXs I've owned(and still own 1), they've been nothing but pleasant.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Honda is that low? Granted it's been a while since I went to one for something, but when I frequented one for stuff like oil changes, they treated me like I was staying the night in a hotel or something lol

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much the extended epidemic of kia/hyundai's being stolen because neither manufacturer could be assed to include an immobilizer for a decade's worth of cars with no relief in sight figures into these numbers.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
dealerships suck in stereo across the board

rich people buying rich people cars is like me shopping for chips

OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Hey no complaints about my Jaguar. Happy enough with my F-Pace that I bought it. (While waiting for my Lotus to hit the market). Surprised to see Dodge that high, but I hear so little about Dodge I would have forgotten they even existed if not for the Hellcat.

also, damn @ Genesis. I see a bunch of GV70's and 80s rolling around after all the buzz last year. 😬
It's kinda telling how the family of Kia, Hyundai, and Genesis are all in last place in this study. They've made great strides to improve their lineup of cars over the years, but still have a lot of catching up to do when it comes to basic things such as the dealership experience. I read many stories about how terrible Hyundai dealers have been for people trying to buy an Ioniq 5 this year.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Huh, I didn't think Dodge was even a thing anymore after spinning off Ram.

Mazda owner here, and I had a bad expereince at the first dealership I went to and a great experience at the 2nd where I bought my car. 1st had a big markup, had required dealer extras, wanted more for making the car certified pre-owned even though it was already advertised as such, and wouldn't sell it to me unless I went through their finance department. 2nd one just let me test drive the car and give them a personal check for the sticker price and I was on my way.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly the dealership system feels like a scam and the absolutely absurd markups would definitely impact customer feelings about the brands

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
buick dealers shocked anyone is interested in buying a buick

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The dealership that I bought my Kia from lost all paperwork on the tire warranty package I purchased, then closed, with no electronic records to take to another dealership.

Both dealerships I've been to in the last 8 years do not allow electronic booking of appointments (filling out the web form just results in them calling you), and neither provides electronic receipts.

I love the car but the experience feels like stepping back into 2003.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
Went to a kia dealership over the summer and was blown away. There was no pressure. They literally told my wife and I to go home and think about it. Didn't even ask for my phone number to follow up.

Ballistik

Oct 26, 2017
I completely agree on Kia. I was helping someone car shop and we saw a few cars but weren't sold. The annoying salesperson kept pushing other cars on us that we had no interest in. She was aggressive and questioning us when we said we were leaving.. she ended up calling her manager who came out to basically interrogate us why we weren't going to buy a car. We went to more dealerships and none were as bad as Kia.

Dec 16, 2022
Hmm not sure but I thought that kia theft issue was being widely reported? I've heard multiple people that I know who expressed concern about buying kia for that reason. Along with media practically blaming kia/hyundai for child labor.

ironjoe

Jan 26, 2018
NYC
Aren't Hondas more likely to be over MSRP? Toyota as well? Would certainly have something to do with it. Civics are 3-4000k over msrp in westchester

Oct 25, 2017
Unsurprising. I've heard dozens of nightmare stories from Kia and Hyundai owners with regard to dealership interactions. It's a shame, because they make generally very good vehicles.

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
Love how the Kia exec uses "they" in reference to his people out in the field. Really shows how much of a team atmosphere they must have /s

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The outlets reporting on it can be considered to be? I don't know I think its sort of fishy starting with being excluded from tax break and all these negative press recently. I believe they were just below tesla in ev sales like few months ago
i mean, or maybe you can listen to what people are actually saying in this very thread and accept that their service experience is shit in many places and instances

occam's razor and all that

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
"Another key study finding is that electric vehicle (EV) buyers continue to have less satisfying sales experiences than do buyers of traditional gas-powered vehicles in both the premium and mass market segments. For example, satisfaction among owners of mass market battery electric vehicles (BEVs) is 56 points lower than among owners of gas-powered vehicles (791 vs. 847, respectively) and satisfaction among owners of premium BEVs is 33 points lower than among owners of gas-powered vehicles (831 vs. 864, respectively)."

As many people who have gone to a dealer to try to buy an EV can tell you, many dealers do try to actively steer buyers away from EVs and toward ICE vehicles that will require more maintenance. This is just one of many reasons why the dealership model is a mistake.

The outlets reporting on it can be considered to be? I don't know I think its sort of fishy starting with being excluded from tax break and all these negative press recently. I believe they were just below tesla in ev sales like few months ago

The Hyundai Ioniq 5 won Motor Trend's 2023 SUV of the Year despite really stretching the definition of SUV. The Genesis G90 won Motor Trend's 2023 Car of the Year. There really isn't any evidence of a widespread anti-Korean bias in the US automotive media, much less a conspiracy of American media "trying to bury" Korean EVs through negative reporting.

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
I own a Giulia Q4 (with over 40k miles and have had no issues, knock on wood), but I'm surprised Alfa is at the top of that second list.

I'm guessing it's because they can't move vehicles, so buyers are getting deals.

yellowfury

Oct 27, 2017
My experience with a particularly bad Toyota dealership in Sacramento a few years ago convinced me to never buy a Toyota (or lexus) again.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I have one experience with a Kia dealer. I called ahead to look at a car and when I got there the salesman was gone and noone knew where the keys were. After waiting for 30 mins another salesman rolls the car up.

It had been in an accident that they didn't disclose and hidden i the pictures they posted. The car wasn't detailed and they were like, you want to take it for a drive? The Sunroof was stuck open.. like wtf

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I thought about non ironically buying a Buick once. I was 35 at the time.
They've been running "this isn't your father's Buick!"-style ads for so long that one of those not-your-father's-Buick Buicks probably could be your father's Buick.

They've spent so much time trying to change the perception around that brand. The ads are so fucking annoying. "That's a Buick?!" someone asks in amazement while staring at an utterly milquetoast crossover SUV. "I love your new Buick!" someone says in a way that nobody ever would in real life.

They're not actually bad vehicles but, as with Chevy's "real people" ads, I find the ads so borderline insulting that I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy one of those brands of vehicles even if it were the right vehicle for me, which so far hasn't ever been the case (the Chevy Bolt has come closest, but when I was last shopping for a car GM had shut down Bolt production for like a year because of the battery fires, soooo....).

May 9, 2022
Florida
I don't even remember my Kia dealership experience. It has been a long time.

Love the Soul to death, though. 10 years in and cannot imagine a scenario where I don't just get another one if I need another car. Dealership be damned I guess.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Surprised Honda and Toyota are low on the list
It's a region by region issue but for the most part a lot of Honda and Toyota dealers have this air of you're coming in we know what we have so come to us with your best offer kind of attitude.

And the dealerships can be very different the one closest to me are absolute pricks when it comes to trying to find parts even on recent cars and will outright mock you for owning an older car because they think that you're wasting their time meanwhile there's one owned by John elway not too far away from me that is a very pleasant and they bend over backwards getting special order parts.

As for the Kia side my step dad is loyal to them just because they have two of them but the problem is I think he relies too much on a friend of his who's in the finance department to try and get him good deals and as I said in another topic you have to fight these people to make sure that you get good deals and I really don't think he got a decent deal on the last card he bought but he excuses it for the guy needed to make his bonuses which is just outright ridiculous... He's never invited you over he's never done his favors of a car breaks down he's there for the bonus nothing more

Dec 16, 2022
"Another key study finding is that electric vehicle (EV) buyers continue to have less satisfying sales experiences than do buyers of traditional gas-powered vehicles in both the premium and mass market segments. For example, satisfaction among owners of mass market battery electric vehicles (BEVs) is 56 points lower than among owners of gas-powered vehicles (791 vs. 847, respectively) and satisfaction among owners of premium BEVs is 33 points lower than among owners of gas-powered vehicles (831 vs. 864, respectively)."

As many people who have gone to a dealer to try to buy an EV can tell you, many dealers do try to actively steer buyers away from EVs and toward ICE vehicles that will require more maintenance. This is just one of many reasons why the dealership model is a mistake.

The Hyundai Ioniq 5 won Motor Trend's 2023 SUV of the Year despite really stretching the definition of SUV. The Genesis G90 won Motor Trend's 2023 Car of the Year. There really isn't any evidence of a widespread anti-Korean bias in the US automotive media, much less a conspiracy of American media "trying to bury" Korean EVs through negative reporting.
I'm trying to keep up with ev sales but I would think it wouldnt matter if it swept all the awards in car enthusiast websites if it's not being included in the electric vehicle tax credit thus pricing it out of its direct competition. Not that I'm necessarily against this.