• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody get anything out of the endless PS5 speculation? It seems like such a weird thing to talk about until we actually know anything for sure, much less spend a third of games daily on the subject.

Haven't caught today's KFGD yet, so I'll update when I've listened, but I personally think its a fun discussion. At this point it's just rampant speculation since we have so few rumors or leaks to base anything off of. It's fun just to make up a random idea of what the next console COULD be and what could be possible on the machine. Hearing that they spent a third of the show talking about it actually interests me a lot lol.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Does anybody get anything out of the endless PS5 speculation? It seems like such a weird thing to talk about until we actually know anything for sure, much less spend a third of games daily on the subject.

I think KFGD is stuck in a holding pattern right now so they're likely to blow a show on topics that don't matter. As embargoes fall away for Judges Week and E3 gets nearer we won't hear about it. But right now you could probably get through the Roeper Report in like...10 minutes without centering on a specific topic for a bit. Sometimes that topic is one that's not going to be relevant to most of us, unfortunately.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
His very ranty style turns me off. I feel like they reigned him in a lot at IGN when he was on Beyond, which helped get the absolute best out of him imo, and obvious on PFoS he's just acting as interviewer so he doesn't really rant. When it comes to Games Daily and to a lesser extent Gamescast he sometimes just lets loose an enormous stream of consciousness and it doesn't really jive with me, particularly because it's usually about an obscure old game I've never even heard of. I'm also not a big fan of the overly descriptive ways he describes games. At this point it seems like he's called about 50 obscure games "revolutionary, genre-defining, masterpiece" etc. and something about that is a little offputting to me. He clearly has an incredible wealth of knowledge, but I think Tim, Greg and co. need to reign him in more to get that knowledge across in the best way possible.

I'm fully aware that I'm very likely in an extreme minority here just like I am with my dislike of Gary (maybe I just don't like older guys who love old school gaming lmao)

Gotta say I agree with all of this, Jared's a cool guy but boy when he starts talking... settle in haha.
I do love Gary Whitta though so disagree on that last point.

Cap10Deku

Dec 2, 2017
Seattle, Wa
That's a fair viewpoint. He can definitely go on some rants, the man can talk hahah. To each his own though! I love his style of vivid descriptions and his wealth of gaming knowledge. I also love the occasional rambling or going off topic. Reminds me of old school beyond haha. I would agree though that sometimes he needs to be reigned in a tad. Long rants in moderation is key haha. I'm sure he'll adjust though as time goes on! I imagine he reads tons of feedback here, on the subreddit, etc. etc. :)

Funny you say that because I'm also in love with Gary lmao. I guess you and I just have totally opposite tastes!

Welcome aboard, friend! :)

Depends of course if you agree with point of views and such. For me he always goes off on these old school + off the wall games is a turn off. I 100% like hearing a different side of things, which I why I still enjoy the fact he joined KF on a few shows, just, as Sauce said above, he goes on a rant quite often where I sometimes just say out loud "Please stop!" (Plus he said Rachel should have ended up with Joey!!! WTF?!! =P Lol. )

I, for one, enjoy the speculation on the PS5. Though I honestly don't want it yet. I've enjoyed my PS4 and am currently enjoying my PS4 Pro, and I want to get more out of it imo. I feel like I just bought the PRO (got it at launch). Sucks to need to upgrade already. = /

Gotta say I agree with all of this, Jared's a cool guy but boy when he starts talking... settle in haha.
I do love Gary Whitta though so disagree on that last point.

Weirdly enough I love Gary Whitta too. He goes on rants as well but the fact it's coming from such a different place I appreciate it that much more. It's interesting to hear what someone not "in" the industry thinks.

Though lately (probably because of his other stuff going on like his Star Wars comics), he seems much more distracted and seems to not totally want to be there lately.

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
Depends of course if you agree with point of views and such. For me he always goes off on these old school + off the wall games is a turn off. I 100% like hearing a different side of things, which I why I still enjoy the fact he joined KF on a few shows, just, as Sauce said above, he goes on a rant quite often where I sometimes just say out loud "Please stop!" (Plus he said Rachel should have ended up with Joey!!! WTF?!! =P Lol. )

That also may be what it is! I find his old school stuff incredibly fascinating haha. I had a hole in my schedule last semester so I even just took a course on the history of gaming. I find all that old school stuff and the industry's origins so neat! Might be why I give him a pass. :p

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I think KFGD is stuck in a holding pattern right now so they're likely to blow a show on topics that don't matter. As embargoes fall away for Judges Week and E3 gets nearer we won't hear about it. But right now you could probably get through the Roeper Report in like...10 minutes without centering on a specific topic for a bit. Sometimes that topic is one that's not going to be relevant to most of us, unfortunately.
I mean, at the top of the video (00:44) Greg says "There's a lot -- it's a jam packed Roeper Report. Lots of stuff going on." which Tim echos.

It's not a big deal. I'm glad they get to talk about things they're excited about. I just don't really care whether any of the upcoming games are on PS4 or PS5 since I've never felt like the current system is holding games back. So I was curious where that excitement comes from.

I, for one, enjoy the speculation on the PS5. Though I honestly don't want it yet. I've enjoyed my PS4 and am currently enjoying my PS4 Pro, and I want to get more out of it imo. I feel like I just bought the PRO (got it at launch). Sucks to need to upgrade already. = /
Yeah my fiancee just bought me PS4 Pro when God of War came out, so maybe that's part of my bias here. As someone who tinkers around in Unity in my spare time, I'm constantly floored with how impressive PS4 games look and all the rendering and processing that they're doing, and I can't imagine it getting much better than that. The other bit of my bias is that I played Breath of the Wild on Wii U, so every time it got mentioned as a killer app on the Switch I just don't relate to that.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I stand corrected. It still feels slow to me. They were talking about stuff but so much of it just felt like filler.

Ultimately I think gamers are always just excited about the new. For me the PS5 is interesting because I know it means developers will take more chances again because during new generations people are willing to try more to see what sticks.

Cap10Deku

Dec 2, 2017
Seattle, Wa
I stand corrected. It still feels slow to me. They were talking about stuff but so much of it just felt like filler.

Ultimately I think gamers are always just excited about the new. For me the PS5 is interesting because I know it means developers will take more chances again because during new generations people are willing to try more to see what sticks.

When the PS5 does eventually come out I am looking forward to more games being at 60fps. Playing God of War in 60fps was so amazing. Witcher 3 was one I wished the PRO could have handled in the higher frames but unfortunately not. Witcher 3 was the sole game that almost made me take the leap and try joining the Master Race. But then I hear Greg's voice yelling at me "THE DRIVERS!!" =P

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
When the PS5 does eventually come out I am looking forward to more games being at 60fps. Playing God of War in 60fps was so amazing. Witcher 3 was one I wished the PRO could have handled in the higher frames but unfortunately not. Witcher 3 was the sole game that almost made me take the leap and try joining the Master Race. But then I hear Greg's voice yelling at me "THE DRIVERS!!" =P
a32bojR.gif

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
I have a modern PC. I have not had a driver issue with a modern PC port.

I had an issue with shit ports such as Final Fantasy XIII and Dark Souls tho, cannot use my Dualshock 4 without editing some lines

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
Just got around to catching the episode this morning, and I gotta say I enjoyed the PS5/Next-Gen discussion quite a bit. I don't know what it is but hearing things like "Death Stranding launches on PS5 alongside a Horizon 2" just makes me insanely hyped. I get that there is little to no chance of any of that happening, but I thought the discussion was a ton of fun. I really enjoyed, about a year and a half ago, when Colin and Greg predicted the release dates of every Sony first party game on PSILY.

I don't have a PS4 Pro, so maybe that's why I'm so excited for next-gen? Though I think personally even if I had a Pro I'd still be looking to the next big thing. I'm easily excited by mindless speculations about the future lmao.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Jared Petty's salty segment today was the best one yet. I'm really glad he put the foot down on people (incorrectly) complaining about the historical inaccuracy of the BF V cover.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
So, the next run of "In Review" is
X-Men.
Funnily enough, I just bought the majority of them. Odd that they didn't
announce this when they did the Deadpool 2 review and had it be the first review.

Edit- On Today's KFMS, Nick said they will
do another Deadpool 2 review when the time comes.
I personally think
it'd still be too fresh in their minds to warrant a second review.

Last edited:

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, the next run of "In Review" is
X-Men.
Funnily enough, I just bought the majority of them. Odd that they didn't
announce this when they did the Deadpool 2 review and had it be the first review.

Edit- On Today's KFMS, Nick said they will
do another Deadpool 2 review when the time comes.
I personally think
it'd still be too fresh in their minds to warrant a second review.

Yeah, kind of disappointed in their pick for "In Review". That franchise doesn't feel particularly relevant anymore. I would've much rather seen the Harry Potter franchise, leading up to Fantastic Beasts 2, or even the Fast & the Furious franchise because it'd probably be hilarious to hear their impressions.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, kind of disappointed in their pick for "In Review". That franchise doesn't feel particularly relevant anymore. I would've much rather seen the Harry Potter franchise, leading up to Fantastic Beasts 2, or even the Fast & the Furious franchise because it'd probably be hilarious to hear their impressions.
Those are both good ideas and i am sure they will visit them eventually.

Cap10Deku

Dec 2, 2017
Seattle, Wa
Those are both good ideas and i am sure they will visit them eventually.

Fast and Furious was what I was personally thinking they would do. But I you know they'll be continuing this series; so I wouldn't be surprised if we got both Harry Potter and F&F eventually.

I've only got to listen to some of the Gamescast this week so far but I'm a little disappointed with Andy's take on Detroit. He talks about how it felt "unnatural" when he made choices later in the game when he felt he "had to" even if it wasn't a choice "his" version of the character would have made.

Seems to me that's a player issue vs a game issue. I mean you yourself chooses the route your character will take and what type of person (android) he/she will be. If you decide to make an opposite choice that isn't the game's fault I would say it's his. Greg was sorta trying to point that out to him as well, but since this wasn't the spoilercast they couldn't real dive deep to give their examples.

I do wish Kinda Funny did more spoilercast type reviews of games. Their God of War one was awesome and want more of that for more games.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Fast and Furious was what I was personally thinking they would do. But I you know they'll be continuing this series; so I wouldn't be surprised if we got both Harry Potter and F&F eventually.

I've only got to listen to some of the Gamescast this week so far but I'm a little disappointed with Andy's take on Detroit. He talks about how it felt "unnatural" when he made choices later in the game when he felt he "had to" even if it wasn't a choice "his" version of the character would have made.

Seems to me that's a player issue vs a game issue. I mean you yourself chooses the route your character will take and what type of person (android) he/she will be. If you decide to make an opposite choice that isn't the game's fault I would say it's his. Greg was sorta trying to point that out to him as well, but since this wasn't the spoilercast they couldn't real dive deep to give their examples.

I do wish Kinda Funny did more spoilercast type reviews of games. Their God of War one was awesome and want more of that for more games.
The embargo wasn't up for Detroit yet so they couldn't. They said they will talk more about it this week.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
In terms of their In Review series, I'm personally not a fan of it continuing so randomly. I liked that it led to a big climax event (Infinity War) and to me that was a huge appeal of it. Them doing X-Men (and not even having it lead into Dark Phoenix wtf????) is bizarre to me. I don't really want them to review Harry Potter because none of them outside of Nick are really fans, and couldn't care less about them doing Star Wars because we've heard them rehash their opinions a million times. BUT, I would rather have those series leading into the final Fantastic Beasts movie or Episode 9 than just having them randomly rushed out and not have them lead up to something.

I know MCU In Review did really well for them, but I just wish they saved them up for special moments. My prediction is that we get halfway through X-Men, people get sick of the series, whether it be because the movies are shitty or that X-Men In Review feels forced, and then people start complaining.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure it was already somewhat of a chore to them sometimes to make sure they're watching the MCU movies every week, and that was something they are all huge fans of. I can only imagine that will be worse with most other series.

I love the series though and as long as they keep being passionate about it I'll keep loving it.

Or maybe I'll fall off for one reason or another, wHo tF ReALly kNoWs
nPfPYaI.png

Cap10Deku

Dec 2, 2017
Seattle, Wa
Not sure if the closer camera angle was on purpose but I find that I like it more. I haven't gone back to their stuff when they were still in Greg and Colin's condo but I swear the camera was closer back then too. I understand why they brought it farther back with their TV screen below the table and such, but I just didn't like it. /nitpicking

Pokemon game coming out.. I'm a little disappointed with Tim's response with the game saying stuff like the "real Pokemon players" have the 2019 Pokemon RPG and not this game calling this one "Pokemon Go 2". I know he said he will still get it and play it but just seems a downer he's so against it. Especially given we know nothing except it's "supposed" to be a sorta-remake of Pokemon Yellow with Pokemon Go mechanics.

Also wasn't a fan of him saying Pokemon shouldn't change. I leaned more with Andrea that I would LOVE some innovation with the new Pokemon RPG coming out. I would love some sort of active battle system. Even if it still has to switch to a different screen (thinking some of the Tales of Games).

I enjoyed the Pokemon games but I welcome a change more than anything right now.

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
I did find it interesting Greg refused his request. Interesting in a pleasing way.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I can't wait for the day when that alt-right racist af dude's channel becomes unfeasible to run anymore, which based on his constantly dropping Patreon numbers won't be too long.

In terms of Tim's reaction to Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, I completely agree with him. This is so obviously a dumbed down version of Pokemon to appeal to casual GO players. They removed wild battles FFS. The motion-control catching, only the original 151 being present, connectivity with GO. Those are all specifically included to target GO players. It seems smart to target the colossal sized audience that played GO, but if you dig deeper it might not actually be the best decision. One of the reasons GO got so big is because the app was free to play and almost everybody on Earth has a smartphone now. Do they really think all those people are going to pony up the money for a Switch to play a slightly deeper version of what they have for free on their phones?

The Pokemon Company themselves seem to be acknowledging this isn't even a proper Pokemon game too, considering they announced that in 2019 a proper main series game is coming, which was so obviously done to try and placate the more hardcore audience. Pokemon needs to grow and change if it's going to be on the Switch, but dumbing the mechanics down and making an already laughably simple and easy series simpler and easier doesn't sound remotely enjoyable to me. I've been playing since I was like 2 years old, own every Pokemon game and am the hardest of the hardcore and somehow I'm not even close to being sold on this release, which is a problem IMO.

Also, they will NEVER switch the battle system for the main games. They have too big of a competitive community that exists currently that would very likely die if they switched from turn-based to an active battle system. Killing off that community would basically be saying they are focusing almost 100% on children for the future of the series.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Colin can get stuffed I couldn't imagine Kinda Funny having any sort of place for Colin now they have Joey, CoolGreg, Andy, and Andrea, they have moved past him and become a much better and more positive place because of it, having him on would slowly drown the Kinda Funny brand as he was doing months before he left.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
In terms of Tim's reaction to Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, I completely agree with him. This is so obviously a dumbed down version of Pokemon to appeal to casual GO players. They removed wild battles FFS. The motion-control catching, only the original 151 being present, connectivity with GO. Those are all specifically included to target GO players. It seems smart to target the colossal sized audience that played GO, but if you dig deeper it might not actually be the best decision. One of the reasons GO got so big is because the app was free to play and almost everybody on Earth has a smartphone now. Do they really think all those people are going to pony up the money for a Switch to play a slightly deeper version of what they have for free on their phones?
I agree. Everybody knows what Pokemon is, but most people haven't been willing to pony up for a gameboy/3DS to play the game. That's not going to suddenly change just because the Switch is a larger, less wieldy version of a 3DS. Let's Go won't hit critical mass to be the "all of my friends are playing this" game.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if the closer camera angle was on purpose but I find that I like it more. I haven't gone back to their stuff when they were still in Greg and Colin's condo but I swear the camera was closer back then too. I understand why they brought it farther back with their TV screen below the table and such, but I just didn't like it. /nitpicking

Pokemon game coming out.. I'm a little disappointed with Tim's response with the game saying stuff like the "real Pokemon players" have the 2019 Pokemon RPG and not this game calling this one "Pokemon Go 2". I know he said he will still get it and play it but just seems a downer he's so against it. Especially given we know nothing except it's "supposed" to be a sorta-remake of Pokemon Yellow with Pokemon Go mechanics.

Also wasn't a fan of him saying Pokemon shouldn't change. I leaned more with Andrea that I would LOVE some innovation with the new Pokemon RPG coming out. I would love some sort of active battle system. Even if it still has to switch to a different screen (thinking some of the Tales of Games).

I enjoyed the Pokemon games but I welcome a change more than anything right now.
Hell yeah, I would love a battle system update.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I agree. Everybody knows what Pokemon is, but most people haven't been willing to pony up for a gameboy/3DS to play the game. That's not going to suddenly change just because the Switch is a larger, less wieldy version of a 3DS. Let's Go won't hit critical mass to be the "all of my friends are playing this" game.

It's especially weird to think they'll buy a Switch when those same people wouldn't jump in at the lower handheld pricepoint in generations past. In Australia, the barrier to entry to get a Switch and one game is about $550 and that's if you know where to go to get the cheapest offer. I can't imagine casual fans dropping over half a thousand dollars on that.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I don't remember them saying "everyone will", but I was initially on the side of not that many people will, but then I thought if they have good advertisement for it within Pokemon Go itself, it could probably actually do them pretty well.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Colin can get stuffed I couldn't imagine Kinda Funny having any sort of place for Colin now they have Joey, CoolGreg, Andy, and Andrea, they have moved past him and become a much better and more positive place because of it, having him on would slowly drown the Kinda Funny brand as he was doing months before he left.
Yep, I said on Reddit that Colin has no business at Kinda Funny and is the opposite culture and I'd stop supporting kinda funny if they brought him back. My most downvoted comment on reddit ever. Yay?

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yep, I said on Reddit that Colin has no business at Kinda Funny and is the opposite culture and I'd stop supporting kinda funny if they brought him back. My most downvoted comment on reddit ever. Yay?

I'm with you 100%. I would completely stop watching all Kinda Funny content if they ever brought Colin back to the company in some capacity. Heck, I'd probably be done for good if they featured him on any of their content.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you 100%. I would completely stop watching all Kinda Funny content if they ever brought Colin back to the company in some capacity. Heck, I'd probably be done for good if they featured him on any of their content.
Yep me too. He has no place in the games business and i hate it when anyone supports him. Stopped following McCaffrey for that reason.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'm behind on KF as is, but I don't know if I'd stop.

I stopped following McCaffrey because he's an idiot and a MS shill.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
It's especially weird to think they'll buy a Switch when those same people wouldn't jump in at the lower handheld pricepoint in generations past. In Australia, the barrier to entry to get a Switch and one game is about $550 and that's if you know where to go to get the cheapest offer. I can't imagine casual fans dropping over half a thousand dollars on that.
Yeah. I didn't mention price because I couldn't remember how much the 3DS has cost, but that's a great point.

I don't remember them saying "everyone will", but I was initially on the side of not that many people will, but then I thought if they have good advertisement for it within Pokemon Go itself, it could probably actually do them pretty well.
Wait why? Are there many people playing Go still who aren't just hardcore Pokemon fans?

Plus, historically, the percentage of conversion from mobile users to huge purchases is super small. The lion's share of mobile users want something that's free or microtransaction based.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. I didn't mention price because I couldn't remember how much the 3DS has cost, but that's a great point.

Wait why? Are there many people playing Go still who aren't just hardcore Pokemon fans?

Plus, historically, the percentage of conversion from mobile users to huge purchases is super small. The lion's share of mobile users want something that's free or microtransaction based.

Oh definitely. I still watch this one PoGO youtuber just cuz his vlogs are dope and there are a lot of people really engaged with go who aren't hardcore into the main series games. I can see this getting some of those people over with the integration between both games if they advertise it to them well.

Many of the people who still play GO regularly are super engaged with the updates relating to GO.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Oh definitely. I still watch this one PoGO youtuber just cuz his vlogs are dope and there are a lot of people really engaged with go who aren't hardcore into the main series games. I can see this getting some of those people over with the integration between both games if they advertise it to them well.
Huh. Well you clearly know more than me.

My anecdote is having had on the level of twenty different friends IRL who don't regularly play games that got fairly invested in PoGO, and now have virtually forgotten it exists. So that's my bias, but it's easier to assume everyone has dropped something when you're one of the ones who left..

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Huh. Well you clearly know more than me.

My anecdote is having had on the level of twenty different friends IRL who don't regularly play games that got fairly invested in PoGO, and now have virtually forgotten it exists. So that's my bias, but it's easier to assume everyone has dropped something when you're one of the ones who left..

All of my rl friends stopped playing it too, I only know some little kids that play it.

But then I see this guy go to monthy community events in different cities and those get pretty good crowds. https://youtu.be/8o7O5qBnEG8?t=182 https://youtu.be/bWuZEq02l5I?t=485 https://youtu.be/MjR9fSn2tUI?t=400

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon typically gets around fifteen or sixteen million people to buy it. I feel like that number is a drop in the bucket of who's gotta still be playing Pokemon Go if it's still doing well.