Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
The gamecast change has been incredible tbh, I love it

Yeah agree. I was a bit unsure at first as I thought it might be overkill but its going really well so far. Having it be varied hosts and topics helps a lot, and keeping some of the XCast and PSILY theming for certain episodes. It feels like "Gamescast" is more of a banner for a series of mini-shows rather than just one show itself.

I really like the daily flow they got now too; news show into discussion show into streaming later on. It flows really well.

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
Yeah agree. I was a bit unsure at first as I thought it might be overkill but its going really well so far. Having it be varied hosts and topics helps a lot, and keeping some of the XCast and PSILY theming for certain episodes. It feels like "Gamescast" is more of a banner for a series of mini-shows rather than just one show itself.

I really like the daily flow they got now too; news show into discussion show into streaming later on. It flows really well.
Totally agreed, being able to put on KFGD when they go live and ride through the second half of work with them through all 3 formats has been great.

JGrdnsn

May 1, 2023
Tim's story on the KF Podcast and people grilling Greg for his opinions they don't like on Gamescast have been great sources of laughter today lol.

I very much echo the sentiments of loving the changes they've made. I wasn't a regular listener of either XCast or PSILY but I'm pretty much tuning in for at least some of every Gamescast now.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Idk if it's the mic setups or if Mike is a little sick or what, but his voice is sounding extra gravelly lately.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
this week's game showdown is a must watch. it goes completely off the rails in the best way possible.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
This week's Game Showdown was entertaining, but the voting was HORRID. Straight up rigged. Rigged I tell you!

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Nuzlocke has been a fantastic time with the crew and community, but dang was the finale underwhelming due to rare candy shenanigans.

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
Oof that Hellblade 2 review got heated. Just going to say that Greg was right and SnowBikeMike was wrong here. Making a very pretty game doesn't make the game a W when the actual game isn't great. Just like Greg said The Order wasn't a W for Sony even though it might've been the best looking game at the time. Why? Because the gameplay was bad and the game didn't sell. Looking at the player numbers for Hellblade 2 on Steam I'd be very concerned about this not selling well too.

Also want to call out something else that bothered me that all 4 of them kept bringing up. They kept discussing that if Ninja Theory went harder on the gameplay then they wouldn't be themselves anymore. They wouldn't be the arthouse. Does the KF team not realize that just because they made 1 arthouse game doesn't make them an arthouse? It's like they all forget that this studio made games with deeper gameplay before Hellblade called Heavenly Sword, DMC and Enslaved.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Oof that Hellblade 2 review got heated. Just going to say that Greg was right and SnowBikeMike was wrong here. Making a very pretty game doesn't make the game a W when the actual game isn't great. Just like Greg said The Order wasn't a W for Sony even though it might've been the best looking game at the time. Why? Because the gameplay was bad and the game didn't sell. Looking at the player numbers for Hellblade 2 on Steam I'd be very concerned about this not selling well too.

Also want to call out something else that bothered me that all 4 of them kept bringing up. They kept discussing that if Ninja Theory went harder on the gameplay then they wouldn't be themselves anymore. They wouldn't be the arthouse. Does the KF team not realize that just because they made 1 arthouse game doesn't make them an arthouse? It's like they all forget that this studio made games with deeper gameplay before Hellblade called Heavenly Sword, DMC and Enslaved.
with a game like hellblade, steam numbers don't mean a whole lot since everyone can just play it on GamePass.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I understand that but in that case they could very well end up in danger of being shut down just like those other studios. Microsoft wants these games to sell and make money

I feel like people are running away with this "Ninja Theory might be shut down" narrative. Yes, very recent history suggests that things are looking a bit wobbly for Microsoft Studios, but this idea that every studio is in imminent danger is wrong, I think.

I dunno maybe I'm wrong and NT end up disappearing in six months, but I just feel like people are looking at recent history and just assuming the worst for no reason.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah he got a bit defensive IMO, the idea that saying the interactive parts of the game needed to be improved for it to be a better overall package doesn't mean it needed to have Elden Ring combat or be "Fortnite". How much of the creative vision would have had to change if the puzzles and combat were as cinematic but also just more fun / interesting / satisfying. Or is he saying their intent was to make those parts of the game not as enjoyable as they could be.

And yeah it's subjective, but to say a game that does a lot of things extremely well while doing other important things at a level that is just passable, but maybe not so much if it's a sequel to a game that had the same problems, should be objectively held up as a masterpiece that elevates all of gaming is a little much.

The whole "is this a W for Xbox is just a silly topic", it's another really interesting game to check on Game Pass and the graphics alone are probably worth the price of admittance. But he basically got angry it wasn't being praised enough after Greg and Blessing explained their issues with it pretty concisely. I'm not surprised two people who gave it a 6.5/10 don't agree it elevates gaming.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah he got a bit defensive IMO, the idea that saying the interactive parts of the game needed to be improved for it to be a better overall package doesn't mean it needed to have Elden Ring combat or be "Fortnite". How much of the creative vision would have had to change if the puzzles and combat were as cinematic but also just more fun / interesting / satisfying. Or is he saying their intent was to make those parts of the game not as enjoyable as they could be.

And yeah it's subjective, but to say a game that does a lot of things extremely well while doing other important things at a level that is just passable, but maybe not so much if it's a sequel to a game that had the same problems, should be objectively held up as a masterpiece that elevates all of gaming is a little much.

The whole "is this a W for Xbox is just a silly topic", it's another really interesting game to check on Game Pass and the graphics alone are probably worth the price of admittance. But he basically got angry it wasn't being praised enough after Greg and Blessing explained their issues with it pretty concisely. I'm not surprised two people who gave it a 6.5/10 don't agree it elevates gaming.
yeah, I think the win for MSFT is important because it's been nothing for Ls for them lately, and every game they've released lately has been disappointing, so it's just baffling that they just can't seem to release a great game.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I really like Mike but some of the language he uses around Xbox specifically makes me uncomfortable sometimes. Like when he talks about being on "Team Green" or however it's phrased. It feels at least quasi console war-ish.

I don't think he lets it get in the way of his critical analysis of games, but it's clear he thinks of things in terms of teams for different consoles, when I always think KF is a bit above that (especially now the platform-specific shows are gone).

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, I think the win for MSFT is important because it's been nothing for Ls for them lately, and every game they've released lately has been disappointing, so it's just baffling that they just can't seem to release a great game.

it's a weird situation because fans are fixating on their releases like they need to put out their version of God of War or Breath of the Wild to compete or something. And I guess it's going to be like that until a game releases that gets universal praise. I don't think Starfield or Hellblade 2 are bad games I just wouldn't say they are great, despite having a lot of great things about them. And the great games they've put out the last couple of years have been more niche so it's natural they don't get the same level of praise or attention as a big AAA epic like Skyrim would. But he felt more annoyed with the fan narrative around Xbox than he probably should have been.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I really like Mike but some of the language he uses around Xbox specifically makes me uncomfortable sometimes. Like when he talks about being on "Team Green" or however it's phrased. It feels at least quasi console war-ish.

I don't think he lets it get in the way of his critical analysis of games, but it's clear he thinks of things in terms of teams for different consoles, when I always think KF is a bit above that (especially now the platform-specific shows are gone).
Agreed, i love Mike to bits and will watch him stream any game, but his referring to MS as 'Us' during the Acti buyout stages was eyebrow raising as heck. Drop that rubbish.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017

All of Giant Bomb was even more down on it than Greg and Blessing were. Dan Ryckert, for instance, is just simply not a fan of the type of game Hellblade 2 is (too slow and too much "talkey," not enough "doey"). As such, he absolutely dislikes Red Dead Redemption 2 (for many of those same reasons). Yet, Dan said he felt Hellblade 2 made RDR2 feel like Super Mario Odyssey. I plan on playing it. As I like RDR2, I'll probably personally enjoy Hellblade 2. I however have no interest/time to play Hellblade 1, so I'm glad they included a recap.

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022

I too like Mike for the most part but his console war side does come out at times. This isn't surprising at all given that he has been known to hang around some of those obnoxious Xbox fanboys like ColtEastWood, Rand, Jez etc.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say really enjoying the switch up to the GamesCast, I like more frequent episodes with revolving people, talking about what they have been playing or topical episodes depending on what's released.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

Yeah it is a little off putting. One of the only real issues I have with him. Parris is a great example of someone who clearly loves and prefers Xbox, but I don't know, he doesn't come across the same way. And ultimately I think it is just the language they use and how they present themselves that's the difference, Mikes actually critical thinking is great.

Maybe it's just it's his persona so he leans into it. Sort of how Greg leans into him hating PC .

brain_

May 13, 2021
MO
I always take the "can we get a win" like sports fan talk. I say that about my sports teams all the time. He mentioned he likes PlayStation and Nintendo too all the same, but he's their "Xbox guy" who hosted the podcast for it and likes their ecosystem. I don't really take it as console wars until you start shit talking other stuff because "mine HAS to be better than yours." Which he doesn't really do imo

A lot of this too jumped to sales and blockbuster hits and Xbox's decision making lately, which I think matches that "need a W" speak more too. Idk, I'm just not that bothered by it yet

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I feel for Mike, because I know what it's like to enjoy something so much and your friends just don't. That said, he was in an impossible spot with his argument. Even if KF strips away the Xbox drama that exists outside of the game Mike is still left with a game that two of the members really didn't enjoy.

brain_

May 13, 2021
MO
Apparently we're following up the GOATed Pokemon playthrough with Nick's first Dark Souls run today.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oof that Hellblade 2 review got heated. Just going to say that Greg was right and SnowBikeMike was wrong here.
I think it's the opposite. Everyone is so ready to jump on this game with it being either a major W or L for Microsoft, when the discussion should be on the merits of the game and what Ninja Theory is trying to achieve/if they achieved it. This game has better combat than tons of other higher reviewed games that are also going for presentation and story substance etc over gameplay depth.

I think Greg and Blessing were wildly off-base suggesting it shouldn't even have combat lol, so many layers to why that's a lame suggestion.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I think it's the opposite. Everyone is so ready to jump on this game with it being either a major W or L for Microsoft, when the discussion should be on the merits of the game and what Ninja Theory is trying to achieve/if they achieved it. This game has better combat than tons of other higher reviewed games that are also going for presentation and story substance etc over gameplay depth.

I think Greg and Blessing were wildly off-base suggesting it shouldn't even have combat lol, so many layers to why that's a lame suggestion.
Indeed.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

Once a company is acquired, rightly or wrongly they become part of the larger narrative around the parent company. In this, people have been saying for ages that Xbox needs a win and needs a good pr hit, and people are using this game - and every game really - as just another piece of that overarching narrative. Is it fair? Probably not, but this is what being acquired means.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Once a company is acquired, rightly or wrongly they become part of the larger narrative around the parent company. In this, people have been saying for ages that Xbox needs a win and needs a good pr hit, and people are using this game - and every game really - as just another piece of that overarching narrative. Is it fair? Probably not, but this is what being acquired means.
Yeah for sure, and I don't think the discussion is without merit. Just the context felt off.

They should dedicate a Gamescast near the end of the year surrounding that discussion and what the wins and losses for each of the big 3 were. That could be a fun episode.

Caspel

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Yeah for sure, and I don't think the discussion is without merit. Just the context felt off.

They should dedicate a Gamescast near the end of the year surrounding that discussion and what the wins and losses for each of the big 3 were. That could be a fun episode.

I agree with you. The "business" and behind-the-scenes of "Is Microsoft getting a win" shouldn't be debated for a game review. Might as well start talking about their marketing, hiring of staff and interview process, location of their office, their parking, and the like. Save that stuff for a different podcast rather than a game review.