Oct 25, 2017
I also thought Vigo.

My second thought was the painting from Castlevania: Rondo of Blood that can one hit kill you if you're not careful...

Which leads into a Dorian Grey style painting, so if Charles starts to seem to get younger, we all know what needs to be done.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
lol on twitter people are saying if you mirror the image you can see demonic images in the middle. i see a human outline, maybe a demonic squid up ton, and fucking Diablo for sure near the bottom

there's also kind of a puppy face in the middle though so thats cute

seriously though what the hell is going on with this portrait lol

GNlLZ49XYAAn8Hf.jpg

Tile it enough times and you can make out a fetus

IT HURTS NESS

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
Painting the current king of a former colonial power so that he appears to be disappearing into a bloody field, his uniform stained redder and murkier than it ought to be, a muck so overwhelming that even the peaceful and natural existence of a butterfly is covered by it, and the clearest feature being his face, a reminder that horrific acts were carried out by people for people, and that the king is but a man somehow elevated to a status and corresponding life that most can hardly imagine.

God, I fucking love art.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gorgeous portrait and a good way to make a complex image for a complex person which is as flattering or critical as you want it to be

I look forward to someone imagining it as Giygas

Oct 30, 2017
he probably wanted something a bit more conceptual and non-traditional like barry and michelle's portraits, because the UK girlies are nothing if not followers

jonathan yeo has been incredibly famous for decades lol. here is his 2008 portrait of blair

jonathan-yeo-tony-blair.jpg

and uh, jony ive

Jony+Ive.jpg

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Bro looks like a demon or perhaps a devil

Reminded me of The Fall of the Damned because of the twisted flesh kind of look, the descending into hell vibe
Peter_Paul_Rubens_-_Fall_of_the_damned.jpg

Last edited:

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
there's a kindness to his eyes in the painting imo that makes it hard to be a scary painting
i guess lighting would help

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to come up with a "Charles waited for his official portrait so long that it's redshifted" joke but I'm struggling here.

Truly harsh on the eyes.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
That's a cursed ass painting if I've ever seen one.

Looks like it's about to ask me a fucked up riddle.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i think it's a dope ass painting but it does look like something from a world of darkness splatbook

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Eh, it's just Carpathian kitten loss! He misses his kitten!

Add one in next to the castle and it'll be fine

In all seriousness, I think it's a pretty sick painting. Definitely unsettling, but really good

Sadire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 31, 2017
I feel the Scarlet Rot meter filling up just looking at it.

Something about that particular colour choice is unnerving.

Aug 31, 2019
I think it's fucking sick. Pity the subject is an uninteresting muppet, but the painting itself is cool and interesting. If you interpret the red as the blood of colonialism and the self-satisfied look on his face his complete lack of guilt or recognition of the harms colonialism has caused and his continued complicity in that system, it works even better.

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
I like to think that Charles himself specifically requested his royal portrait be done in the style of a Gen Urobuchi hellworld.

For all we know, this could be something like the 8th revision after Jonathan Yeo created something very regal and dignified, but Charles kept demanding more and more blood.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
The butterfly is certainly an interesting addition. I almost didn't notice it, it was so lost in that sea of swirling red.

One of those 'Mixed messages' paintings for sure, which I'll bet was the artists intention.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
"Well Jonathan, it's good; certainly good; but His Majesty did have one note. He'd really love for the portrait to be, perhaps, 30% more Palpatinic."