Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm extremely happy to hear this, and hope that it encourages Disney to keep investing big-time in the series.

Do we have any idea how colossal the budget for KH3 was, with a presumed 7-10 year development time? I wonder how profitable a game with production values this high and a development time this long can be, though I'm sure we'll never know for certain.

No. Beyond being rumored after KH2 as the 4 games came on the period, KH3 only began development in 2013 when it was announced. The game went gold last year so it was almost 6 years of development.

Also, it's SE that invests on the franchise as the publisher (even if they don't own it), not really Disney. In fact, only in 3 Disney began to be more involved in the series (besides supervision and other aspects), even doing some marketing with D23 events.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Well-deserved, game is great.

It wasn't in development anywhere near that long.

Anywhere near how long? The teaser trailer was shown in June 2013 showcasing the new engine, the heartless mob, and actual gameplay. Even if they managed to whip all that up in 2013 alone, we're looking at at least 6 years, and 6 years is pretty close to 7...

But looking at how good that teaser looked in 2013, I'd bet they were working on it for at least a year by then, probably longer.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anywhere near how long? The teaser trailer was shown in June 2013 showcasing the new engine, the heartless mob, and actual gameplay. Even if they managed to whip all that up in 2013 alone, we're looking at at least 6 years, and 6 years is pretty close to 7...

But looking at how good that teaser looked in 2013, I'd bet they were working on it for at least a year by then, probably longer.

Nah, they began it in 2013 and finished in november 2018. 5 years and 10 months.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017

If I remember correctly, for that entire event including the XV reveal, did they not openly admit that was Target Render? and when it was under development in Luminous in which they have said they had to scrap and start over with UE4?

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Good stuff. Despite my issues with how the story turned out in this one, the game is pure fun and this can only make the series bigger and better. Can't wait.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017

The 2013 video was CG target render concept video.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018

They admitted at e3 that they basically had nothing and we're showing things early to support ps4 in Japan. Hell ffxv gameplay was rendered footage as well.

Also 6 years is close to 7 is a very weird logic to start following in these kinds of conversations

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

The 2013 reveal was definitely not gameplay

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Well deserved. Had a blast with this game.

So, 2016 had FFXV, 2017 had NieR:A and 2019 has had KH3 all sell super well. Hopefully we get another big or semi big JRPG from Square next year. They're clearly doing very well(And I really enjoy Squares output)

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved. Had a blast with this game.

So, 2016 had FFXV, 2017 had NieR:A and 2019 has had KH3 all sell super well. Hopefully we get another big or semi big JRPG from Square next year. They're clearly doing very well(And I really enjoy Squares output)
Hopefully FF7R. :p

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Kingdom Hearts is as big as Final Fantasy now lol. FFXV shipped over 5 million units day 1 too and it was the fastest selling game in the series.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic news. So do we expect this to outsell Final Fantasy XV? I remember that also shipped over 5 million copies in the first month.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit I was not expecting FFXV numbers. Well done SE and Disney, they should be proud of what they achieved.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Nice. Hopefully this means we won't have to wait for KH4 quite as long, lol.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
giphy.gif

Inukage

Oct 25, 2017
Down Under
Zelda BoTW, Mario Odyssey, God of War and Kingdom Hearts 3, my 4 favorite franchises are the best they've ever been, I've been spoiled this Gen.

Congratulation to Nomura and the Osaka Team!

Oct 27, 2017

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
This is really a high quality game that's easy to get into from a gameplay standpoint. Oddly enough, I know quite a few new users who purchased this as their first Kingdom Hearts game.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what the advertizing from Disney was like this time.

I no longer watch kids channels so I havent seen any ads (I think I got just one on youtube). Have they done any major promitions?

Either way, this is great news and I hope the game is gonna get some free DLC soon (Critical mode pls).

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Interested to see how many actually sold, publishers seem to only want to talk about shipped these days though.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserve, it's probably a long while since a game sequel i'm waiting on was worth the wait
It wasn't 7~10 year development. It was more of 6 years, and they didn't always have all the manpower that they had during the later part of the development.
When it was announced at E3 they have nothing outside of that full on teaser / render target. I'm getting the full on dev was actually just after Nomura got kicked off FFXV

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Super sales. Considering around 800k were shipped in Japan and the ps4 sold 82% at retail in the UK I'd say about 4.5m were shipped on ps4 week 1. I'm confident sales for all platforms will hit 10m+ but I wonder could this become a 10m seller on ps4 alone

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
I was damn near on media blackout for this game, but were there seriously people thinking that this game wouldn't sell?

It's the relevant sequel fans everywhere have been waiting over a decade for.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Well deserved, the game is pure joy in every regard. I adore the gameplay and watching the fantastically done cinematics

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Interested to see how many actually sold, publishers seem to only want to talk about shipped these days though.
It's easy to talk about ship number because publishers get orders from retailer in advance, and they can just add them together. Plus, why should publishers care about sell through anyway? They sell the game to retailer, all the rest falls on retailer's shoulder, publishers already get the money.