• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
CW: rape, abuse

I haven't seen a thread about this and I'm not sure if it's widely-known. If it is, indeed, common knowledge and being discussed, I apologise. If it's been and gone and I missed it, I apologise - I searched Era before posting this. Anyway, without further preamble...

In short: A. M. Darke experienced consistent, violent, sexist and racist abuse from KoL creator Zack Johnson throughout their marriage, as well as allowing her rapist, community member "Armack" (Randy Mack) into social circles he held a lot of power over. Zack does not contest/deny any of this. Please see the Google Doc linked below for the full details, but be warned, it's not easy reading. - Thanks Oxymoron for help with this summary

The original Twitter thread.

Extensive Google Doc chronicling everything - updated, thanks EarthPainting

Zack's response

The details are very upsetting so I won't reproduce them here. I also won't summarise them at risk of my abbreviation somehow softening the horror of the situation. Please believe victims.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh no. There as well?

Shit. I would never have expected that from there. I thought, with the tone and content of their games, they would be normal people, and not horrible pieces of shit.
It's horrible. Everything is horrible.

Last edited:

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm surprised this is the first I'm hearing about this, given how extremely fucked up all of it is. I'm glad she spoke up. No way in hell I can ever support Zack Johnson again.

I hope this gives her some solace.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Damn, I dont have time to read the doc right now but the tweets alone paint a grim picture. Believe victims.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
What the actual fuck?

Kingdom of Loathing was my Highschool-school computer game of choice before we started loading up emulators and shit. I feel terrible for ever supporting that game now.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stopped Reading midway. Fuck, not feeling well.

Nov 2, 2017
Jesus Christ, he (Zack) is a God damn monster. Armak is a typical piece of shit who should be in jail for rape, but Zack. Good God.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Absolutely awful. I didn't read all of it, as it was really heavy and terrible stuff. Hopefully she can find some solace in people believing and supporting. And hopefully she's able to avoid any attacks towards her, which might be a tall order unfortunately. Can't imagine what it's like to live with those experiences.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. Zach is a monster. How someone can cultivate such a fucked up worldview over their life is beyond me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Man. I remember the name Kingdom of Loathing but I can't remember anything else about it. I suppose that part doesn't really matter though.

What a horrible situation. I wish the stature of limitations wasn't up so she could try and press charges.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Finally got to read through the document. Really hard stuff to get through. Why isnt this thread blowing up? These are some very serious allegations with concrete proof and witnesses.

Milena

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished reading the entire document, I don't think I can quite put down how vile and awful I found this whole thing.

OP
OP
Stuart Gipp

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
Finally got to read through the document. Really hard stuff to get through. Why isnt this thread blowing up? These are some very serious allegations with concrete proof and witnesses.

I didn't think it was tasteful to cut-and-paste specific paragraphs from the wholly appalling, upsetting story when it really must be taken as a whole. Should I put some more context in the OP? I can't think of a way to do so without ultimately changing the meaning/context of anything, please let me know what you recommend.

oxymoron

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't think it was tasteful to cut-and-paste specific paragraphs from the wholly appalling, upsetting story when it really must be taken as a whole. Should I put some more context in the OP? I can't think of a way to do so without ultimately changing the meaning/context of anything, please let me know what you recommend.
I think clarifying that A. M. Darke describes specific, consistent, violent, sexist and racist abuse from Zack throughout their marriage, as well as continuing to allow her rapist into social circles he had a lot of power over, and that Zack does not contest any of this, is important context for the OP. As is, it's just "someone posted something and Zack responded" which really doesn't convey much.

OP
OP
Stuart Gipp

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
I think clarifying that A. M. Darke describes specific, consistent, violent, sexist and racist abuse from Zack throughout their marriage, as well as continuing to allow her rapist into social circles he had a lot of power over, and that Zack does not contest any of this, is important context for the OP. As is, it's just "someone posted something and Zack responded" which really doesn't convey much.

Thank you - I've updated the OP with a short summary borrowing some of your wording, I hope that's okay. If not by all means let me know and I'll remove it.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Randy not only raped her but ended up bragging about it and then calling her crazy.

Thats impressively warped. Seems like he's completely normalized it in his head now as consensual sex.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
This is just terrible, I played a lot of KoL back in the day and bought WoL on both GOG and Steam, but I will never give him another dime. If only there was a way to know about more of these people that didn't involve victims having to relive trauma and open themselves up to further abuse.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, that was hard to read. Feel awful for her, from the very start with the terrible family situation.

Deleted member 29237

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What the hell, this sounds terrible. I feel very sorry for this poor lady, what an awful experience she's had :(

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Wrote a negative review, removed West of Loathing from my Steam account.
It seems she wants her story to be shared, so I linked it in my review. I'd retweet her, but currently her account is made private.

Last edited:

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The choking incident is what has really stuck in my head all day. The fact that he felt confident enough to physically abuse her in front of his friend is just unreal to me. That his friend opted to look away rather than do something is truly fucking disgusting.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
That's fucking terrible. Never gonna buy a game of theirs again.

My well wishes are with the victim.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Was there any update to this at all?

Shadows Over Loathing was at the Nintendo Indie Direct and it reminded me of this thread.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oh wow, that's horrible. I only ever heard of West Of Loathing but never bought it. Hope there was some justice or healing for Aliah. Saddened this Zack still gets to make commercial games.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Was there any update to this at all?

Shadows Over Loathing was at the Nintendo Indie Direct and it reminded me of this thread.

Someone posted in the Indie World Thread that the person might have left the studio after being exposed, but wasn't sure. So take that with a grain of salt.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Someone posted in the Indie World Thread that the person might have left the studio after being exposed, but wasn't sure. So take that with a grain of salt.
On his Twitter profile, he has "Designer of Shadows Over Loathing" written, but I don't know how long it has been in development for. EDIT: Oh, it came out last year already.

notusingthis

May 31, 2019
why would he leave the studio now? the studio's wiki page has the abuse stuff on there since August last year (from a quick look at the page's history). he also shows up in their website's 'people' page and there's nothing on their twitter about this.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Man thats fucking dark, what a bunch of horrible people. Feel terrible for A. M.

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
what the fuck
i juuuust started (and was greatly enjoying) west of loathing
i must have bought it before this shit was on their wiki

horrible

i don't have it in me to read all of it but this sure soured me on their games

are people just not mentioning this when it comes to shadows over loathing?

i'd like to think people can change but... that's so fucked up. i hope Darke can get some peace. she seems to be doing cool stuff on her own now which is great.

what with this being a tiny indie making wholesome goofy stuff, just another reminder it can be Anyone. why are people so the worst