DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
CU7Ssj0.jpeg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2LVa2oM4yU
Experience Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes in IMAX May 10 or Early Previews on May 8. Tickets on sale now at imax.com or Fandango.

Director Wes Ball breathes new life into the global, epic franchise set several generations in the future following Caesar's reign. Apes are the dominant species living harmoniously with one another and humans have been reduced to living in the shadows. As a new tyrannical ape leader builds his empire, one young ape will undertake a harrowing journey that will cause him to question all that he has known about the past and to make choices that will define a future for apes and humans alike.

Last edited:

Mister Ursine

Sep 10, 2023
Apes riding horses. I'll never get sick of watching that.

Kingdom looks excellent. Planet of the Apes has a higher hit ratio than most long-running franchises. Only 1..maybe 2 stinkers. The rest are gems.

Sep 5, 2021
I'm excited to watch this film. The movie looks great from the trailers and I like all the Planet of the Apes films, in fact the only movie I've never watched is Conquest.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendshipā„¢
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I really really really need to watch these movies.

As someone who dug the shit out of the first couple classic films when they would re-run on the weekends or when I was sick from school, the fact that this "hokey" old series came back and ended up being a hit with modern audiences is a fucking phenomenon.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
If this is even half as good as the trilogy that came before it, it will be a success.

I'm not expecting the same level of excellence because ultimately this isn't Matt Reeves, but if they can somehow get in the same range, that would be wonderful.

Jan 4, 2021
I really really really need to watch these movies.

As someone who dug the shit out of the first couple classic films when they would re-run on the weekends or when I was sick from school, the fact that this "hokey" old series came back and ended up being a hit with modern audiences is a fucking phenomenon.
And probably the finest sci fi trilogy to boot. Consistent high quality from first to last minute. Every trilogy has its ups and downs, it was all ups. Absolutely wild

Bengraven

Powered by Friendshipā„¢
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
And probably the finest sci fi trilogy to boot. Consistent high quality from first to last minute. Every trilogy has its ups and downs, it was all ups. Absolutely wild

I'm still shocked, three movies later. Like the first one came out and I was wary, thinking "will modern audiences care about this? Why was this made? I'll hold off and hear reviews" and like suddenly there's a fourth and I find out "they're all great" and it's like I stepped into another world.

The original films were such a huge boom (not just box office, but merch like kids' toys) with a suddenly fall from grace and just kind of lay dormant as jokes and references for decades. Then suddenly without me realizing it, it's back and yeah...I need to catch up quick.

I have an IMAX nearby and this would be a great film to see there.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
If this is even half as good as the trilogy that came before it, it will be a success.

I'm not expecting the same level of excellence because ultimately this isn't Matt Reeves, but if they can somehow get in the same range, that would be wonderful.

To be fair, the first one wasn't Matt Reeves either. I guess this being good would give the Zelda movie a lot more hype.

Feb 10, 2024
The reboot trilogy is excellent through and through.and it's pretty slept on. Very excited for this one.

It has the same writers as 1-3 so I'm expecting it will be good.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I know. I just mean in terms of escalation and where he took the series after that first film.

Reeves direction did add to the franchise, although I think Rise is still grest reboot. I think Rupert Wyatt wanted to take the setting into the cities from Dawn and have the apes develop quicker, rather than mankind being doomed by going mute. It could have worked but I don't think that would have been as good.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Reeves direction did add to the franchise, although I think Rise is still grest reboot. I think Rupert Wyatt wanted to take the setting into the cities from Dawn and have the apes develop quicker, rather than mankind being doomed by going mute. It could have worked but I don't think that would have been as good.

100%. I don't think Rise is quite as good as Reeves' followups, but it is undoubtedly a very strong first film that ended up being significantly better than the trailers were, and provided an excellent base for what ended up being an excellent trilogy.

I'm just glad we didn't go that route you mentioned. I think he also wanted to turn the focus away from Caesar as well.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why there's no hype for this movie?
It was the most talked about trailer after Deadpool during the superbowl.

We just finished the trilogy, and we are so excited.

Kingdom is confirmed to be the longest Planet of the Apes movie by 5 minutes, so this will be a very meaty movie.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
I love how what began as a simple attic window pattern design is now the flag of a major nation/clan centuries later.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Really hoping this delivers, the trailers have been great. I'm a bit hesitant though, Wes Ball is no Matt Reeves

AceStrimmer

Feb 12, 2021
I still rate the scene in the first film where Caesar speaks for the first time as one of the few instances I have heard a cinema actually roar in approval.

Brilliant films.

entut1

Mar 31, 2023
On paper, this should be pretty good. I have faith the story will be engaging.

It's not blowing my socks off visually speaking though but that's probably because they aren't showing the actually beautiful stuff.

Each of Reeves's sequels are so freaking beautiful. Each shot is perfect. Not a single faulty shot I could think of. That's my only bummer with this so far looking at the marketing.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
I still rate the scene in the first film where Caesar speaks for the first time as one of the few instances I have heard a cinema actually roar in approval.

Brilliant films.
God that was an incredible scene.

You could feel the shock in the audience. Entire theatre gasped and then went silent - not even the slightest rustling. It was an amazing experience.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
I only watched the new trilogy this past month. Really enjoyed it. Especially the latter two. Will be going to the theaters to see this one šŸ˜ƒ

Oct 26, 2017

Brilliant films.

What makes this scene even better is that right before you hear Ceasar speak, you hear the dumb "damn dirty ape" call back, which makes you roll your eyes, and then Caesar hits you with the "NO!" and it just blindsides you.