BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Footage and details at the link:

I really enjoyed the Emperor's New Groove but was also at the same time kind of bummed that the original vision was cancelled.

Didn't know that it was being directed by the Lion King director and was that far along ($25-30 million spent, 25% of the animation was completed/colored etc). Sounds like the VAs and other people involved were also disappointed with how it was changed.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have time for that video now but there's a documentary about this topic called The Sweatbox that is very interesting, mostly because is one of the few documentaries about Disney with insiders that doesn't look like an "official" or "approved" Disney stuff, quite the contrary in fact.

Yet I confess I still like the Emperor's New Groove.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have time for that video now but there's a documentary about this topic called The Sweatbox that is very interesting, mostly because is one of the few documentaries about Disney with insiders that doesn't look like an "official" or "approved" Disney stuff, quite the contrary in fact.

Yet I confess I still like the Emperor's New Groove.

Yeah I think the vid I posted is taking some footage from that documentary.

Will check out for sure, it's up on YT:

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like an interesting video and I'll definitely check it out later.

Emperor's New Groove did end up being my 2nd favorite Disney movie of all time though. 2nd to Lion King. So I guess I'm glad it changed?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In retrospect, it probably wouldn't have been too great - that was already a slump period for Disney and I'm glad they went outside of the box with the movie. But I admit a more serious take on a story in the Incan Empire would have really appealed to me, personally.

Also, Snuff Out the Light is a fantastic villain song and I'm glad Eartha Kitt recorded it, at least.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Yeah, I totally understand why the artists working on the movie were disappointed with the change in direction, but it sounds like the movie they were making ultimately wouldn't have been that good. Shifting gears was the right move and gave us an amazing film.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
In retrospect, it probably wouldn't have been too great - that was already a slump period for Disney and I'm glad they went outside of the box with the movie. But I admit a more serious take on a story in the Incan Empire would have really appealed to me, personally.

Also, Snuff Out the Light is a fantastic villain song and I'm glad Eartha Kitt recorded it, at least.

One of the only things making me not want Emperor's New Groove in Kingdom Hearts is that Eartha Kitt won't be able to be Yzma.

Last edited:

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is one of those things where I'm glad with the film we ended up getting.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always impressed with how far Disney lets their movies go before calling for an overhaul. You hear stories about this for Wall-e, Zootopia, Ratatouille and Brave. That they even kick the original directors off is even more crazy.

Part of me is just like, "Did you not see this coming from the script?"

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I'm kinda glad that we got what we got because Yzma

The original version gave her such a cliche female motivation of wanting to look hot again so having someone who wants to rule is so refreshinh

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I wanted to make a video about this movie and the potential it had for peruvian representation

It would have been a landmark for us, thats for sure.