• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if we're talking a remake on the scale of FF7 Remake, yeah I guess I can see that.

World of Ruin would probably be its own separate game in that regard.

And don't even get me started on how the Veldt would work.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
seems like at best it wouldn't be decided until after FF7 is finished

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Really something like the DS remakes for IV and III but with a better art style would be fine with me.

Not a complete reimagining/essentially brand new game like VIIR.

Evoker

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'd be okay with FF7 Remake style of games side series where it expands on classic Final Fantasies. It's a nice way to re-experience these games in a new way.

ShinkuTachi

Oct 29, 2017
A remake on the level of FF7R would be completely unnecessary for FF6 anyway.

If they want to do something *more* than a pixel remaster, 2D-HD would be sufficient for FF1~6 and DQ1~7

Adum

May 30, 2019
But it doesn't have to be photorealistic and extremely high-quality models/textures. FF16 went for that and cinematics above all else and it's possibly my least favourite FF game. I would love for FF games to scale back a bit on the visuals front and go back to focusing on gameplay and more robust RPG-systems like the PS2 days.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
It really doesn't need to be on the scope of the VII R trilogy. I see no reason why it would need to be any more ambitious than something like DQXI.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
But it doesn't have to be photorealistic and extremely high-quality models/textures.
!!!!!!!!!

This is the key.

At this point I can accept that the mainline series is always gonna be about that for the new numbered entries.

Remakes do not have to follow suit! Let them be an opportunity for the team to tackle a new art style.

I still think that when it went 3D, FF should've been like Zelda and try a different art style with every game.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Yeah….I don't think we're gonna see another FF get the 7R treatment

I'm curious to see how 9's remake pans out. Could offer a more feasible way forward, assuming it turns out ok. Something similar in scope to Visions of Mana could be quite nice.

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
we still waiting 2D-HD for DQ3.

!!!!!!!!!

This is the key.

At this point I can accept that the mainline series is always gonna be about that for the new numbered entries.

Remakes do not have to follow suit! Let them be an opportunity for the team to tackle a new art style.

I still think that when it went 3D, FF should've been like Zelda and try a different art style with every game.

FF remake has plenty of new art style. we have chibi 3D remake of FF3

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/239120/Final_Fantasy_III_3D_Remake/

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
I can see where he is coming from honestly, Remake style would be seriously ambitious.

But man, I think it would pay off giving it a try

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Really something like the DS remakes for IV and III but with a better art style would be fine with me.

Not a complete reimagining/essentially brand new game like VIIR.

I remember being so certain when I was younger that we'd get a VI remake in the style of the III and IV remakes. Alas…

Yeah….I don't think we're gonna see another FF get the 7R treatment

I'm curious to see how 9's remake pans out. Could offer a more feasible way forward, assuming it turns out ok. Something similar in scope to Visions of Mana could be quite nice.

Yeah, depending on how the IX remake turns out, maybe a VI remake could be closer to it in style than the VII remake?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I remember being so certain when I was younger that we'd get a VI remake in the style of the III and IV remakes. Alas…

I think this is for the best. FFVI but with mutant Kewpie Doll 3D models would be an absolute farce. You can't tell a serious story when your characters look like that.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If I'm being honest, I prefer FFVI get the HD-2D treatment and FFVIII be the next FF to get the big 3D Remake.

VIII needs it more.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
VI would need a complete revamp of its progression and battle system to be interesting. The scenarios would hold up just fine. Combat would not. Something like Brave New World would be the least they could do to clean it up.

Plus they need to finish up IX Remake first 😉

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
it really doesn't need to be 7r levels of absurb fidelity, but i don't blame them if they think that. the messaging from a lot of gamers are that these remakes gotta be at a similar level of fidelity and scale.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
neither of those games even need remakes, just add some QoL stuff and render them in 4k
Them being remade would be fantastic, both have epic, unique stories, wonderful worlds, and amazing characters. Also the potential of creating new series upon their success is huge(not sure what the deal is with the Xeno franchise since we have Gears, Saga, and Blade)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If I'm being honest, I prefer FFVI get the HD-2D treatment and FFVIII be the next FF to get the big 3D Remake.

VIII needs it more.

The thing about HD-2D is that doing that to FFVI won't make it better, it'll just make it worse. Making the art style LESS cohesive won't benefit FFVI at all.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Man I don't think I could handle another decade of remakes. If you want to Star Ocean 2R it or something, or reimagine the game in a lower fidelity, or try a trials of mana style thing, I guess I could see that but a 4-part remake of VI I just have no desire for whatsoever, especially when we get a new FF title every 7 years as is if we're lucky.

Jun 9, 2023
The X project is the next big remake/sequel thing.

I wish 6 or Trigger would get the 2D-HD treatment. I feel like it's inevitable but they take so long to produce too.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
FF6 is my all time favorite Final Fantasy, and I want to see Sabin suplex a train in modern day graphics. Please make this happen.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
So much of FFVI would be lost in translation in a FFVII type remake... Those guys have no idea what they made in the past.
I'm pretty sure it would lost 100% of the charm of the original.
Let's not even talk about the potential 15 cd ost made of non related music with different composers...

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a lot of people would be perfectly content with a 1:1 remake (hi, I'm a lot of people), but a full-on reimagining like FF7R would be cool too.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
The playable cast of FFVI is massive with 14 characters. You'd also need to have Magitek gameplay in there so call it 15. And Terra as an Esper so make it 16. And General Leo as well, so 17.

And then every single one of those characters has very unique movesets that work very well on a sprite level such as on-demand suplexing every enemy in the game, sketching enemies on-demand, or entering fighting game combos for special attacks. Or having Gogo be able to copy literally every single attack across all characters.

I think the idea of it being remake VII Remake style is too far-fetched as the scale of the project would undoubtedly be a massive undertaking. I'd go so far as to say it's impossible to faithfully and completely bring it to VII Remake style without losing almost everything that made it work on a sprite level.

Aug 17, 2022
Or just.....don't make it take that long?

Remake the game and instead of padding it out by 40 hours, just make it good and save yourself the time and money that you were going to spend on useless padding.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The playable cast of FFVI is massive with 14 characters. You'd also need to have Magitek gameplay in there so call it 15. And Terra as an Esper so make it 16. And General Leo as well, so 17.

And then every single one of those characters has very unique movesets that work very well on a sprite level such as on-demand suplexing every enemy in the game, sketching enemies on-demand, or entering fighting game combos for special attacks. Or having Gogo be able to copy literally every single attack across all characters.

I think the idea of it being remake VII Remake style is too far-fetched as the scale of the project would undoubtedly be a massive undertaking. I'd go so far as to say it's impossible to faithfully and completely bring it to VII Remake style without losing almost everything that made it work on a sprite level.
If SE wants to do it they can do it. Granlink Fantasy has 21 characters all brought to life from their gacha-game, some of them have different mechanics I think from the previews I saw. They'll be bringing in more characters as well.