• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Links:

DeepL translations:

Koei Tecmo achieves record results for the consolidated 3rd quarter:
In the first nine months of the fiscal year ending March 31, 2021, the Group's business results, sales of packaged games and revenues from the operation of smartphone games grew substantially. As a result, net sales increased 64.7% year on year to 43,949 million yen, operating income increased 201.2% to 19,367 million yen, ordinary income increased 164.4% to 29,874 million yen, and net income attributable to shareholders of the parent company increased 128.5% to 22,202 million yen. Net income attributable to shareholders of the Company was 22,202 million yen (up 128.5% year on year). Operating income for the quarter reached a record high of 10,919 million yen, and we also achieved the highest performance in all categories of net sales, operating income, ordinary income, and net income for the third quarter consolidated cumulative period. The status of each business segment is as follows.
Entertainment business Net sales 41,465 million yen Segment income 19,103 million yen

Romance of the three kingdoms 14:
In December, "Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 with Power Up Kit" (for PS4, Nintendo Switch, and Windows (Steam)) was released in Japan and Asia, selling 100,000 units.

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity shipped 3M units on launch, at end of December 2020 that number is now over 3.5M units:
In the Ω-Force brand, "Zelda Warriors: Yakusai no Revelation" (for Nintendo Switch), which inherits the world view of "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" by Nintendo Co. By the end of December, the total number of units shipped exceeded 3.5 million, the highest number for a single title in the "Musou" series. The total number of units shipped by the end of December exceeded 3.5 million, the highest number of units shipped by a single title in the "Musou" series.

Ryza 2 units:
Under the Gust brand, "Liza's Atelier 2: Lost Lore and Secret Fairies" (PS5, PS4, Nintendo Switch) was released. In the "Gust" brand, "Liza's Atelier 2: The Lost Lore and the Secret Fairy" (for PS5, PS4 and Nintendo Switch) was released in December in Japan and Asia, selling 220,000 units.

Nioh 2 at 1.4M units (credit to Fukuzatsu for spotting it):
Under the "Team Ninja" brand, the 2nd DLC pack for Nioh 2 (Heian-kyo Touma-den) was released in October, with the 3rd (Taisho no Samurai Hishi) releasing in December. With repeat sales of the main game remaining strong, worldwide shipped units have now exceeded 1.4 million.

Last edited:

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, it seems to say that Nioh 2 has a worldwide LTD of 1.4 million units:
Japanese:
「Team NINJA」ブランドでは、『仁王2』のダウンロードコンテンツ三部作の第二弾「平安京討魔伝」を10月に、第三弾「太初の侍秘史」を12月に、それぞれ配信いたしました。本編のリピート販売も堅調に推移し、全世界累計出荷本数は140万本を超えております。
English:
Under the "Team Ninja" brand, the 2nd DLC pack for Nioh 2 (Heian-kyo Touma-den) was released in October, with the 3rd (Taisho no Samurai Hishi) releasing in December. With repeat sales of the main game remaining strong, worldwide shipped units have now exceeded 1.4 million.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
In every aspect except technical performance, AOC is nearly top-notch quality. Congrats to KT and Nintendo and the devs on the game's success.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Age of Calamity is great. I feel the Musou series has really stepped up in recent years. Looking forward to seeing what's next. I'm going to assume we'll see more Nintendo collaborations.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a lot of people who played Nioh 1 decided to skip Nioh 2 or wait for it to go on sale before buying it. Personally I really enjoyed Nioh 1, but the sequel looked too similar to what we already got with the original game, so I'm not in any rush to buy the sequel yet.

darksider321

Dec 8, 2020
Does anyone know the sales of Hyrule Warriors combined both the Wii U, 3DS and Switch release compared to Age of Calamity?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of sad that the best selling Warriors game is a Zelda game, but I doubt Koei's too disappointed.

I'm also glad that we still get sequels to the Kou Shibusawa strategy games despite them being utterly dwarfed by other series.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a lot of people who played Nioh 1 decided to skip Nioh 2 or wait for it to go on sale before buying it. Personally I really enjoyed Nioh 1, but the sequel looked too similar to what we already got with the original game, so I'm not in any rush to buy the sequel yet.

For me, Nioh just felt a bit too padded in the end. It should have been about 1/3rd shorter. And then they went and made the sequel even longer! I haven't played it, so I can't say for sure, but it just feels like there's even more padding to go through.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Nioh 2 was also discounted during a good chunk of the holidays. Not complaining, I got it as a gift lol. Waiting for that sweet ps5 upgrade version in a week or so. Loved the first one.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Some people will be disappointed with Ace of Calamity numbers but in the end those are great numbers. I think it'll sell over 5 million lifetime wich is amazing.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
AoC legs aren't that great, but the debut numbers were so high for a Mosou game that it still is one hell of a hit
Ryza debut numbers (JP only) are pretty strong too, and I'm expecting good western results too!

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
For me, Nioh just felt a bit too padded in the end. It should have been about 1/3rd shorter. And then they went and made the sequel even longer! I haven't played it, so I can't say for sure, but it just feels like there's even more padding to go through.

I don't think it's longer, at most they are the same lenght.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that they note Age of Calamity is the best selling Musou game ever but if I'm not mistaken by overtaking the first NiOh it must be the best selling Koei Tecmo developed game ever as well?

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
That definitely had an impact on my decision as well. I remember Nioh being too long that I didn't even play the DLCs after I was done with the game, despite having the complete edition that came with all the DLCs.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Very nice numbers for AoC, it might as well be the best selling Koei Tecmo game ever very soon.
But I'm a bit disappointed they're still no DLC announced, I 100%ed the game in 68 hours and I want more, I even went back and started playing Definitive Edition will waiting, 115 hours and only 3 adventure maps completed.

Oct 25, 2017
AoC legs aren't that great, but the debut numbers were so high for a Mosou game that it still is one hell of a hit
Ryza debut numbers (JP only) are pretty strong too, and I'm expecting good western results too!
Its status as a musou naturally limits its sales potential compared to a main zelda game, but I expect it to sell almost as well as Link's Awakening.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man AoC did awesome, really hope we see some DLC for it.

Out of curiosity how did Persona 5 Scramble do?

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that they note Age of Calamity is the best selling Musou game ever but if I'm not mistaken by overtaking the first NiOh it must be the best selling Koei Tecmo developed game ever as well?
What a weird comparisson one is their own original IP and the other is Zelda

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get how Nioh sells so much, yet they're like "yeah we're done with the franchise".

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I've never played a game so undeserving of selling 3.5m as Hyrule Warriors 2. Absolutely atrocious game. I am a story guy though, and the story presentation was extremely dated.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never played a game so undeserving of selling 3.5m as Hyrule Warriors 2. Absolutely atrocious game. I am a story guy though, and the story presentation was extremely dated.
There's is no way on any level I'd call AoC atrocious.

Like maybe if you were a stickler for framerate but otherwise no.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter if they budgeted it with the expectation of selling more than double that, the game is a pretty big underperformance.

How much a game sells in a vacuum is a worthless metric, the budget and expectations are crucial.
Cut down on the budget then. My point is that the "Nioh" brand as a whole is too valuable to just kill like this. It's not like KT doesn't know how to make lower budget titles.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

same. I've heard a lot of good things but after they announced a PS5 enhanced version I decided to wait even more.