• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Woah, this is rad. Does a really good job summing up the async multiplayer elements. These documents must have been pretty valuable for team members to grasp the concept. I'd love to see more of these.

Also it's kinda cool to see that Kojima had a strong idea for what DS was gonna be in the early days of planning and that he was able to realize his vision in the end, at least on this front.

EMitq-KUEAU8lMl.jpg

EMitq_gUwAEDjwI.jpg

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Such a shame that it takes star power on the level of Kojima's to get gaming corps to greenlight AAA budgets for games like this. As much as I don't have any personal interest playing in Death Stranding (no time or patience, lol), I want to see more games like this, and less games revolving solely around combat as the gameplay loop. There's more than enough shooty bang bang games for people like me. Far too many, in fact, which explains why a lot of them are bombing.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing concepts and the execution was almost perfect. Such an original and refreshing game, with AAA presentation to boot

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It's a very cool concept and one that was done extremely well. The footprints eventually forming roads is something I didn't notice until later in and it was pretty mind blowing to realise.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
this concept is brilliant and the execution have been fantastic, its pretty incredible to see how well they translated this early concept into the game, and it working so well. it shows kojima knew exactly the game he wanted to make from the get go.
Now improve it. Death Stranding 2 next please!
i know i made this thread a few days ago about TEJ possibly on set for the next game/DLC, but now that i finished the game, i can honestly say i dont want a sequel, i loved death stranding a lot, but it doesnt need a continuation.
It's a very cool concept and one that was executed extremely well. The footprints eventually forming roads is something I didn't notice until later in and it was pretty mind blowing to realise.
yea it became very noticeable in the second half of the game and was pretty cool.
especially when you need to suddenly traverse all the way east

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Very cool.

I want to see BioWare's pre-production slides on Anthem now:

"A world where ANYTHING could happen in a shared world of player-driven stories and visceral combat!

What is "ANYTHING"?
I DON'T HAVE A CLUE!

How is the world being shared?
In some smart way, Trust us!

How does player drive the story?
Somehow!

What is the player combatting?
SOMETHING!"

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, obsession with movies and cutscenes aside, Kojima is a visionary and pretty damn good videogame designer. The industry is in a much more interesting state with people like him. I hope he can keep doing whatever project he wants

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I remember in an early interview that Sony pretty much let Kojima have full reign.

Kojima has prepared all these presentation about what he wanted to make and was preparing to have to fight for it and they just said yes to everything lol

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The core concept of the gameplay and multiplayer is so damn strong. I really can't wait to play again on PC knowing what I know about the systems now.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
It's such a fun game. It's a game about nothing. Every game is doing something. We'll do nothing.

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
I'm always fascinated by the creative process of videogames. Thanks for sharing, I still go and revisit the game always notice something. I will be playing this game for a very long time.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Keep building on the game. The fundamentals are strong but he needs a co-writer, a co-director and an editor. It took me 46 hours to finish it btw.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The ending is good Omnistalgic but it needed an editor. ItĀ“s very MGS4 in that way. 2/3rds of the story also happen in the gameĀ“s 3rd act!
A summary of the last 8 to 10 hours:
PB9d7.jpg

Destra 2 or 0 could easily be done in terms of story, even if we get a new cast.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Continue this with a horror game, except instead of helping other players, you scare the shit out of them.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm still in Chapter 2, been playing for several hours now, about 8 perhaps and I'm invested in the world, I've been reading every little thing and exploring places where I can easily traverse (no BTs). Really looking forward to the next tools the following chapters will give me and learning more about this crazy world.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Was literally looking up voidout out YT because I thought they did not exist in the game before I saw this thread. Thanks for posting all those pre-pro stuff.

I had spent over 135 hours in the game and for all its faults (there are a notable few), DS is perhaps one of the most narratively consistent games in all its mechanics (esp. as a contrast to the game I am playing now, reminded of what the triple A shite is generally about) that I have played this gen.

To have an idea now as to how its MP works is fascinating.

It is kind of interesting how its MP design draws parallel to colonization- In the footsteps of progenitors and their legacy (i.e. tools and instruments) traversing the terrain becomes much easier and grow from there.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This game has some of the most interesting online aspects I've ever seen. Playing the game and doing missions with help of other players feel amazing and there are lots of differences between playing it offline and online.
Hope to see more unique games in future from Kojima. Poor(?) sales of Death Stranding (considering the name of developer and publisher) makes it hard to wait for more games like this though. :(

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Looking at those base concepts...I couldn't imagine too many other folks to be able build a game like this with the budget Kojima was able to recieve. Honestly hope he gets to do more stuff like this and more importantly, this opens up others to be able to get larger budgets for ideas a little bit out of the safe norm.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Was well done. I have never loved other players as much as this game this year.

When you see that structure that helps you along the way, you appreciate the players' efforts.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
i know i made this thread a few days ago about TEJ possibly on set for the next game/DLC, but now that i finished the game, i can honestly say i dont want a sequel, i loved death stranding a lot, but it doesnt need a continuation.
I would still like to see some of the mechanics of it come back in the next game Kojima does.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Its quite impressive that kojima had nailed the entire hook of the game from the start.

I wouldve thought it wouldve come about through mid development iteration, but considering the short dev cycle it makes sense.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I am keen to see the strand mechanics make their way into other games... Such as kojima's rumoured horror game.

Im imagining leaving precious resources for other players in something like silent hill or resident evil.

Deleted member 61326

Banned
Nov 12, 2019
I'm still in Chapter 2, been playing for several hours now, about 8 perhaps and I'm invested in the world, I've been reading every little thing and exploring places where I can easily traverse (no BTs). Really looking forward to the next tools the following chapters will give me and learning more about this crazy world.

Keep going. The game really opens up in a chapter 3.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
Hm, as someone who has Death Stranding but hasn't started it yet, should I start it sooner rather than later? It seems like the longer I wait, the easier the game will be with more and more roads, etc. appearing.

Or do you only encounter a limited amount of that?

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The game really executes these early concepts really well, and does it with a polish they'd only get with that budget. Hope Kojima is able to continue making what he wants.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see some kind of post-mortem or presentation about how the strand mechanics work. How does the game decide what items to bring into people's worlds, how does it resolve placement conflicts, how does the game distribute likes and manage contributions to shared resources like roads, etc.

Hm, as someone who has Death Stranding but hasn't started it yet, should I start it sooner rather than later? It seems like the longer I wait, the easier the game will be with more and more roads, etc. appearing.

It's somewhat gated by your progress. So for example, certain buildings won't appear in your world until you gain access to them yourself. You also start out without a road network, and it gets built over time. How this works exactly, I'm not sure and would be very interested to learn about. Finally, you spent much of the game extending the chiral network, which means venturing out into areas where the network doesn't reach. No network, no buildings or paths made by other players. Suffice it to say, the game won't give you everything at the start no matter how many people have played it before you.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
I would love to see some kind of post-mortem or presentation about how the strand mechanics work. How does the game decide what items to bring into people's worlds, how does it resolve placement conflicts, how does the game distribute likes and manage contributions to shared resources like roads, etc.

It's somewhat gated by your progress. So for example, certain buildings won't appear in your world until you gain access to them yourself. You also start out without a road network, and it gets built over time. How this works exactly, I'm not sure and would be very interested to learn about. Finally, you spent much of the game extending the chiral network, which means venturing out into areas where the network doesn't reach. No network, no buildings or paths made by other players. Suffice it to say, the game won't give you everything at the start no matter how many people have played it before you.
Awesome.

I spent a stupid amount of time just wandering around in Breath of the Wild and FFXV, so DS sounds right up my alley.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome.

I spent a stupid amount of time just wandering around in Breath of the Wild and FFXV, so DS sounds right up my alley.

Oh yeah, if you want a game that's often just about "how the hell do I get to there from here," occasionally with the addition of "and how do I carry all this stuff with me while I do it," Death Stranding is your game.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
DS is by far my favorite asynchronous gameplay of all time. Seeing the evolution of the game world as people left behind structures was just awesome.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018

Like someone said the game is gated by your progress but you'll soon realise people really don't want to help build these roads with you šŸ˜¤
But really I've seen text on the screen say that people are adding materials to a road in an area where it is already fully built. So really everyone is seeing what they see based on their own personal progress through the game.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really cool seeing this stuff. I figured the asynchronous multi-player was a strong point of the pitch material. I do wonder what the 'sticks' we were supposed to be armed with are all about.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty awesome. Love seeing stuff like this. This game is pretty decisive but I really enjoyed it. Anyway you feel about it I think kojima and his crew definitely busted ass trying to make something different and you have to respect that at least.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Was well done. I have never loved other players as much as this game this year.

When you see that structure that helps you along the way, you appreciate the players' efforts.

This is actually the most surprising aspect to me, the game's overall whimsical positivity as an experience despite often feeling eerie and generally somewhat...oppressive, although that's too strong of a word.

It genuinely makes me like the presence of other players, even if only in the shape of screen names and structures, in my world and I like leaving things in share lockers for others and so on. I also really get a kick out of delivering other people's shit.

This overall attitude and atmosphere feels really fresh to me in context of a AAA game with its production values honestly. I'm still knee-deep in the game somewhere at 90 hours or something and it's another great notch on the "I can't believe this exists" belt of this gen.

Like someone said the game is gated by your progress but you'll soon realise people really don't want to help build these roads with you šŸ˜¤
But really I've seen text on the screen say that people are adding materials to a road in an area where it is already fully built. So really everyone is seeing what they see based on their own personal progress through the game.

I think the reason these messages pop up may be related to it being an auto-paver you contributed to unknowingly even though it's completed in your world. As in, maybe your materials are shared to a certain percentage, like 10% of your finished road of that paver also appears in player xyz's world because you have a decent connection.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Very cool.

I want to see BioWare's pre-production slides on Anthem now:

"A world where ANYTHING could happen in a shared world of player-driven stories and visceral combat!

What is "ANYTHING"?
I DON'T HAVE A CLUE!

How is the world being shared?
In some smart way, Trust us!

How does player drive the story?
Somehow!

What is the player combatting?
SOMETHING!"

The original concept for Anthem was actually somewhat close to DS
A survival game with extreme cataclysms caused by mysterious events
It got phased out along the way