Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
This is the most popular yearly manga ranking in Japan, so I think it's worth checking out. There are always many great series listed if you're looking for something new (although some series have been going for years). Grabbing series descriptions from MAL and mangaupdates just like last year (or official ones when available).

Male readers' ranking:
1. Look Back by Tatsuki Fujimoto (Chainsaw Man)
249833l.jpg

Fujino is a fourth grader who draws a manga strip for the school newspaper. Her art makes her the star of the class, but one day she's told that Kyomoto, a student who refuses to come to school, would also like to submit a manga for the paper...

-Also available on the Shonen Jump app in the west.

2. Chi - Chikyuu no Undou ni Tsuite by Uoto
61mgZONHwpL.jpg

The setting is 15th century Europe. It was a time when heretical ideas were being burned at the stake. The protagonist, Rafal, a child prodigy, is expected to major in theology, the most important subject at the time, at the university where he plans to skip a grade. One day, however, a mysterious man appears at Raphau's door, and he is studying a certain "truth" in the midst of heretical thought!

Also ranked #2 in the Manga Taisho Manga Award 2021

3. Kaiju No. 8 by Naoya Matsumoto
81IgJ1cGaWS.jpg

Kafka wants to clean up kaiju, but not literally! Will a sudden metamorphosis stand in the way of his dream?

With the highest kaiju-emergence rates in the world, Japan is no stranger to attack by deadly monsters. Enter the Japan Defense Force, a military organization tasked with the neutralization of kaiju. Kafka Hibino, a kaiju-corpse cleanup man, has always dreamed of joining the force. But when he gets another shot at achieving his childhood dream, he undergoes an unexpected transformation. How can he fight kaiju now that he's become one himself?!

4. Dandadan by Yukinobu Tatsu (former assistant on Fire Punch, Chainsaw Man, and Jigokuraku)
71Uw2eroG2L.jpg

Ken Takakura, a boy who is an occult fanatic that doesn't believe in ghosts, and Momo Ayase, a girl who doesn't believe in aliens, encounter overwhelming strangeness that transcends their mutual understanding...! An occult coming-of-age story!

5. Tokyo Higoro by Taiyo Matsumoto (Ping Pong, Tekkon Kinkreet, Sunny)
61ZymJk4szL.jpg

A requiem for the anguished, lost, and wandering in life over 50.

With Japan entering a new era, the story centers on Shiosawa, a former manga editor for a major publisher. After going into early retirement, he now finds himself wondering about what the world of manga means to him: is it work, a form of expression, or friendship?

6. Frieren: Beyond Journey's End (Sousou no Frieren) by Kanehito Yamada and Tsukasa Abe
81sphDUj6aS.jpg

Decades after their victory, the funeral of one her friends confronts Frieren with her own near immortality. Frieren sets out to fulfill the last wishes of her comrades and finds herself beginning a new adventure…

Ranked #2 last year and took #1 in this year's Manga Taisho.

7. Oshi no Ko by Aka Akasaka (Kaguya-sama) and Mengo Yokoyari (Scum's Wish)
71xJeQSzuEL.jpg

A doctor and his former patient are reincarnated as their favourite idol's children and they each work to make their way into the entertainment world, following in her footsteps.

8. Trillion Game by Riichiro Inagaki (Dr. Stone)
71PQyg96CcL.jpg

Two friends Haru and Gaku plot to gain enough money to have anything they desire at any time—a trillion dollars.

9. Peleliu: Rakuen no Guernica by Masao Hiratsuka and Kazuyoshi Takeda
81JFA+V1mRL.jpg

Peleliu - Rakuen no Guernica follows the daily lives of Japanese soldiers taking part in the Battle of Peleliu during World War II: a high-casualty, months-long campaign. The main character, Tamaru, dreams of returning home to become a mangaka, and sees their island outpost as a wild paradise that can one day be used as a setting for one of his stories. Most of his comrades, however, are prepared for the more realistic scenario -- that they will not be leaving Peleliu alive.

10. Daauin Jihen by Shun Umezawa
71pSglBSauL.jpg

The terrorist organization known as the Animal Liberation Alliance (ALA) attacked a biological research institute and rescued a pregnant chimpanzee. That chimpanzee gave birth to a "humanzee" (half-human, half-chimpanzee) who was named Charlie. After being raised by human parents for fifteen years, Charlie enters his first year of high school. There, he meets the intelligent but socially misunderstood Lucy.

Female readers' ranking:

1. Umi ga Hashiru End Roll by John Tarachine
815S4j7mOXL.jpg

Umiko is a 65 year-old woman whose husband had just recently passed away. She went to the movie theater for the first time in decades and there, a shocking life-changing event awaited her. After meeting Kai, a student majoring in film at a nearby arts university, Umiko realised for the first time that she was someone who "wants to shoot movies".

Enticed by the waves that gets her heart clamouring, at the age of 65, Umiko takes a dive into the sea of filmmaking!!

2. Tsukuritai Onna to Tabetai Onna by Sakaomi Yuzaki
71soz4h3kmS.jpg

Nomoto lives alone. While trying to de-stress from work she ends up making far too much food for her to eat. When she remembers Kasuga, her neighbor who loves to eat, and can put a lot away, a friendship – and more – is born!

3. Ōoku by Fumi Yoshinaga
9134kBv85iL.jpg

In Edo period Japan, a strange new disease called the Redface Pox has begun to prey on the country's men. Within eighty years of the first outbreak, the male population has fallen by seventy-five percent. Women have taken on all the roles traditionally granted to men, even that of the shogun. The men, precious providers of life, are carefully protected. And the most beautiful of the men are sent to serve in the shogun's Inner Chamber...

Won an Excellence Prize at the 2006 Japan Media Arts Festival and a special prize at The Japanese Association of Feminist Science Fiction and Fantasy's fifth annual Sense of Gender Awards in 2005.
Won the Tezuka Osamu Cultural the Grand Prize in 2009 and the 56th Shogakukan Manga Award in Girls' Category in 2011. Was nominated for the first annual Manga Taishō in 2008... (it's won many awards!)

4. Uruwashi no Yoi no Tsuki by Mika Yamamori
71pFwV9E6lL.jpg

Yoi Takiguchi has long legs, a deep voice, and a handsome face… in other words, Yoi is such a good-looking guy that most people don't notice or care that she is, in fact, a girl. Indeed, she's had the nickname "Prince" as long as she can remember. That is, until she met Ichimura-senpai…the only person who's really seemed to see her for herself. To her surprise, she's not sure how to handle this new relationship, especially when her newfound friend is a prince himself (and a guy prince, at that).

5. Onna no Sono no Hoshi by Yama Wayama (Captivated, by You; Karaoke Iko!)
71yJ01ucaQL.jpg

A comedy set in an all-girls school about a language teacher, Hoshi-sensei, and the carefree play that the students involve him in. The story starts when Kayama, a student, delivers the class journal to Hoshi-sensei. As the students play word chain in the form of drawings in the remarks column of the journal, Hoshi-sensei becomes troubled.

Ranked #1 last year

6. Blank Space by Kon Kumakura
71yBSSuwo9L.jpg

Sui, who is able to create invisible "blanks" out of her imagination, is bullied and begins to create a series of deadly weapons. However, when Shoko suggests that she make a boyfriend, she soon becomes obsessed with creating human bodies.
At the same time, strange events begin to occur in the city of Sorayo where they live.

7. Kageki Shoujo!! (sequel to Kageki Shoujo!) by Kumiko Saiki
71M2k0YPOcL.jpg

Ever since she was a little girl, Sarasa has wanted to play the role of Oscar as part of the Kouka Acting Troupe, an all-female acting troupe similar to the Takarazuka Revue. But before she can do that, she has to attend two years at the Kouka School of Musical and Theatrical Arts. As Sarasa practices singing, dancing, and acting, she grows closer to the other girls in her year, including her roommate, the stoic former J-idol, Ai. Though Sarasa is great at making friends, her outspoken nature and grand ambitions earn her lots of enemies as well. Can Sarasa keep her upbeat attitude and achieve her dream of stardom?

8. Shiawase wa Tabete Nete Mate by Tori Mizunagi
913+XN53HAL.jpg

Minomaki Satoko (38) has an Immune system disorder and gets by working a part-time job four times a week. When her doctor recommends that she gets married, Satoko decides instead to move to a low-rent apartment complex! She gets to know her overly caring landlord, Suzu, and her son, Tsukasa, and is healed both physically and mentally by the peaceful atmosphere of the apartment complex...

9. Branch Line by Aoi Ikebe
8142ymFZf8L.jpg

Aoi Ikebe, the youngest of four sisters, works at an apparel shopping company. The third daughter, Maako, runs a coffee shop. The second daughter, Taishige, works at a government office. The eldest daughter, Ichi, is a single mother. And the mother who takes care of their home. Although they live far away from each other now, the eldest daughter's son, Gaku, raised by five women, is a treasure for all of them.

10. Mystery to Iunakare by Yumi Tamura (7 Seeds)
61wiRWgZfCS.jpg

The story follows mystery-solving college student Kunou Totonou. At the beginning of the story, the police bring him in for questioning on suspicion of murdering his classmate.

Ranked #7 for 2021, #4 for 2020, and #2 for 2019. Nominated for the 12th and 13th Manga Taisho Award (2019-20), 65th Shogakukan Manga Award (2019), and 44th Kodansha Manga Award (2020)

Source:
konomanga.jp

【2021.12.7更新】『このマンガがすごい!2022』今年のランキングTOP10を大公開!!【公式発表】

吐く息が白くなり、寒さが本格化し始めておりますが、皆様いかがお過ごしでしょうか。 今年ももう12月……。楽しみなイベントが多い時期ではありますが、 1年の締めくくりにふさわし...

Last year's rankings:
www.resetera.com

Kono Manga ga Sugoi! 2021 manga rankings announced

This is probably the manga ranking that gets the most attention annually in Japan. Like many "best of" lists, it's a bit of a popularity test, but there are always a few gems, so I've been impatiently waiting all month for this. I'm too lazy to translate all the synopses, so I'm gonna grab them...

Share your thoughts on any series you've read or are interested in after reading about them.

Last edited:

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Very interesting list, honestly never heard of most of them. Will give me some things to check out some time

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Fienen at the Funeral was really this year? Feels like I've been reading it forever.

But it's extremely good.

Deleted member 55524

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
Cool list. Definitely going to check out some of these that I've missed.

The female reader list is particularly interesting and shows me how much I'm in a masculine manga bubble since I haven't heard of any of these. Gonna try to check them all out!

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Cool lists, thanks for sharing! Gonna have to check some of these out, haven't heard of most of them but quite a few do sound interesting. Surprised to see main characters in their 50s and 60s as well.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Not familiar with most of these series -- looking forward to checking out a few of them. I subscribe to the Shonen Jump app but honestly don't look at it very often, so I wasn't familiar with Look Back. Thanks for sharing this!

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I'm really curious what got Ōoku back on here. Must've had a great arc this year. I read some of it like a decade ago, but I should give it another go.
The female reader list is particularly interesting and shows me how much I'm in a masculine manga bubble since I haven't heard of any of these. Gonna try to check them all out!
I think it also shows how different the English-speaking manga sphere and the Japanese one are. Lots of stuff still just isn't being translated.
Fienen at the Funeral was really this year? Feels like I've been reading it forever.

But it's extremely good.
There are a number of series on here that have been going for a few years. It's not about new series.
I subscribe to the Shonen Jump app but honestly don't look at it very often, so I wasn't familiar with Look Back. Thanks for sharing this!
Oooh. Enjoy!

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
What are the criteria for the nominees? Because I'm pretty sure Peleliu and Ooku are not from this year.

edit: Look Back is one of the best things I've read in a while. Highly recommended.

edit: Ah, okay. So they're not necessarily 2021 releases.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I watched Kageki Shoujo. Not surprised to see it on this list. Very likeable characters and surprisingly well done inclusion of heavy subject matter. (Trauma from sexual assault, eating disorders.)

I have the first few volumes of Ōoku. Waiting to be able to buy the whole thing before diving in. I thought it was finished?

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Don't read a lot of manga, so I'm only familiar with 3 on this list.

Look Back is great and worth a read, but highlights one of my biggest annoyances as an English speaking manga fan - that you just can't legally read it anymore if you live in an area that isn't covered by the Shounen Jump app.

Oshi no Ko is my favorite on the list, although the current arc is dragging a bit too much. Still a great look at the entertainment industry that doesn't pull as many punches as other similar works.

Frieren is a fairly good adventure story that tackles the trope of a super powerful immortal protagonist really well. Plus it's a breath of fresh air given that the fantasy genre is currently filled with edgy revenge fantasies and countless isekai.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Onna no Sono no Hoshi is my favorite manga of the past few years with Osama Ranking.
Such a smart and witty comedy.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I adore Dandadan and Frieren.

They're both wildly different and yet so, sooo good. My favorites of the pack as well.
Everyone says Dandadan is great, but I read it when the first chapter released, and the rape aliens left a really awful taste in my mouth. I figured if the manga started with that and stripping the main character (a teenage girl), it would only go downhill from there. I was really disappointed, because I loved the art and the protag. Does shit like that happen in later chapters?

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I could not get past the first chapter of Dandadan.
Really disgusting stuff.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kaiju No. 8 imo doesn't deserve that high of a spot...

Not because it's a bad manga but it totally wastes the idea of the protagonist being a 30-somethimg everyman when he ends up basically functioning more or less like Deku or any other typical teen protagonist.

Fun read though.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Female reader list look way more interesting

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Love Oshi no Ko and Frieren, greatly enjoy Kageki Shojou! and Dandadan.

But Look Back is just, incredible.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All the stuff here I've read is fantastic so I'm definitely interested in looking into the other titles

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Trillion Game is a fun read. Like everyone else, I would recommend Frieren which is my favorite on the list.

Chi - Chikyuu no Undou ni Tsuite has pretty rough art...

I don't think that one is for me.

Many amazing mangas have "rough" art, don't let that deter you from a good story.

1. Look Back is great, not much more I need to say about it.

2. Chi - Chikyuu no Undou ni Tsuite initially reminded me of Historie. However, it wasn't the Epic manga I was hoping for. The story is just a multi-protagonist, multi-generational story of people trying to prove the earth's rotation around the sun/earth's spin. Don't get too excited by the synopsis in the op, that's just the short intro arc. It is much better than the generic education manga though.

3. Kaiju No. 8 has good art, but it reads like generic shounen for me. Wouldn't be in my 2021 top 10 list.

4. Dandadan is a fun...interesting taken on comedy shounen manga. However, I'm not sure how long I can stick with "balls" and quirky alien jokes.

5. Tokyo Higoro, great, but obviously not for everyone. The art alone will turn away mane folks.

6. Frieren, not much to say. The series will further explode when anime drops.

7. Oshi no Ko, absolutely loves the characters and designs. However, I have to agree with its critics - the portrayal of acting is weak when compared to titles such as Act-Age or Kasane. The current story drags and it needs to shift its focus back to a "dark side of hollywood + romcom" plot as opposed to going too deep on poorly executed "acting battles".

8. Trillion Games, the high-style partner-in-gambling type of story is sort of overdone now. However, I'll do look forward to how the story will advance. Unlikely for it to top Usogui and (still on going) Kaiji for hamgbling/mind-game mangas.

9. Did not read.

10. Daauin Jihen, I did not enjoy this title, but I'm not sure I fully appreciate its message either. No comments till further rereading.

That said, new chapters of The Fable and Blue Period is still so good.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone says Dandadan is great, but I read it when the first chapter released, and the rape aliens left a really awful taste in my mouth. I figured if the manga started with that and stripping the main character (a teenage girl), it would only go downhill from there. I was really disappointed, because I loved the art and the protag. Does shit like that happen in later chapters?
Almost never, there's still some partial nudity and bawdy comedy but nothing like the first chapter happens again until 34.
Ayase is relaxing alone in a hot spring when a bunch of weird men enter and approach her. She quickly escapes and it's portrayed more like a zombie movie than anything IMO, but it's the notable incident of sexual menace since the first chapter.

It's not for everyone and I completely understand not being able to look past certain things, but I still think it's a great series. The two page spreads have some of the most mind-blowing art I've even seen in weekly manga and it generally has a perfect blend of action and romantic comedy. It's the better part of a year into its run and still building the cast and world without feeling either rushed or drawn out, which seems like the mark of a very confident, deliberate author.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Almost never, there's still some partial nudity and bawdy comedy but nothing like the first chapter happens again until 34.
Ayase is relaxing alone in a hot spring when a bunch of weird men enter and approach her. She quickly escapes and it's portrayed more like a zombie movie than anything IMO, but it's the notable incident of sexual menace since the first chapter.

It's not for everyone and I completely understand not being able to look past certain things, but I still think it's a great series. The two page spreads have some of the most mind-blowing art I've even seen in weekly manga and it generally has a perfect blend of action and romantic comedy. It's the better part of a year into its run and still building the cast and world without feeling either rushed or drawn out, which seems like the mark of a very confident, deliberate author.
If it's never that bad again, I think I can manage. I read a couple more chapters today and really enjoyed the art and character interactions.

Mar 21, 2018
Dandadan has incredible art, arguably a level beyond Fujimoto from a technical level but its tropey story alongside the tepid dialog drags it down and I dropped it after 15 chapters or so. Chainsaw Man was a revelation not because of the art per se (although Fujimoto is very talented as a draughtsman) but for the insane, mind-melting imagery that spun out of a story that handled escalation in ways seldom seen in other manga. Yes, it started rough but quickly righted itself and made good on the initially juvenile protagonist. Dandadan hasn't managed to do the same for me.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
male/female don't share a single favourite?
Since the rankings are decided by surveying people who work in the manga and publishing industry, I imagine they're separated based on target demographics in magazines that the comics come from instead of the gender of the voter (everyone reads stuff like weekly shonen jump). I imagine even if a man votes for something that's in a women's magazine, the vote counts as a "female readers" vote. What has me mixed up is if that's the case, then why is Blank Space not in the male readers' section? I'm pretty sure Comiplex (which is the webcomic designation that manga from the magazine Heroes all jumped to) is only really targeting male readers. So... I'm not certain.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I ashamed that I never read all of these, despite being still manga fan, due to my own laziness... 😑

Maybe someday when in the mood.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
1. Look Back is amazing. Definitely one of Fujimoto's strongest works. Can't say much, but it really captures the feeling of being a creator/artist.

2. Dandadan is great after you get past the creepy 1st chapter. It's pretty much supernatural battle manga with intense art.

3. Frieren is a very melancholic manga. So many times there's chapter with no dialogue on several pages, showing the characters simply passing times/traveling.

4. Oshi no Ko is great, reincarnation theme aside, it is enjoyable to see the dark side of acting/idol biz. The revenge part is just okay I suppose. I like it more as a regular showbiz series.

5. Kaiju no 8 is good, though I don't think there's anything special, it's a well made action shonen with 30 y.o protag. Though really, Sakamoto Days is better protag wise, not that often we got someone on the fat side and a father being a hero in high octane action series.

6. Trillion Game is a fun manga about start-up. Love the comedy and how the protag solve their problems. Currently they are in gacha game arc, and I kinda want to see what the author think about gacha game.

7. Onna no Sono no Hoshi get a good laugh from me. It really have some really good joke.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
A doctor and his former patient are reincarnated as their favourite idol's children and they each work to make their way into the entertainment world, following in her footsteps.

What...lol

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Tokyo Higoro is interesting, extremely slow burn. Feels like an old school alternative comic. Kaiju no. 8 and Dandandan both have great art, especially Dandandan, but the stories are unspectacular. Still fun reads, though. Look Back is an excellent short story.