• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alkez

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm watching Flower of Evil and damn, if it continues being this good (on episode 9) it could end up being one of my all-time favorites. Love everything about it, especially the two leads.
From your posts I feel like you and I have similar tastes, so this doesn't surprise me at all haha. I really enjoyed Flower of Evil. Was right up my street. It also had one of my favourite songs from a kdrama ost (it was actually what made me want to watch the show).

View: https://youtu.be/bKIu8S6kj8E?feature=shared

(The M/V has some spoilers btw)

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
From your posts I feel like you and I have similar tastes, so this doesn't surprise me at all haha. I really enjoyed Flower of Evil. Was right up my street. It also had one of my favourite songs from a kdrama ost (it was actually what made me want to watch the show).

View: https://youtu.be/bKIu8S6kj8E?feature=shared

(The M/V has some spoilers btw)

Yeah we do, noticed that as well haha.

And I've been listening to that song a lot for the past few days. I think it played in episode 8 and it immediately caught my ear lol, hopefully they use it again.

JaySosa

Nov 10, 2023
Mars
Finished Signal (2016), brilliant show from start to finish, the two male leads were outstanding, female lead was a bit too dramatic sometimes (but still good). Story was very intriguing and still made sense, considering the premise (but I'm very forgiving with stuff like that, most important to me is that it's entertaining).

Now I need something light hearted, any recommendations for something similar to I'm not a Robot? So romantic comedy with likeable characters (so no evil family members or toxic males, or other tropes that bring down the mood)

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
Finished Signal (2016), brilliant show from start to finish, the two male leads were outstanding, female lead was a bit too dramatic sometimes (but still good). Story was very intriguing and still made sense, considering the premise (but I'm very forgiving with stuff like that, most important to me is that it's entertaining).

Now I need something light hearted, any recommendations for something similar to I'm not a Robot? So romantic comedy with likeable characters (so no evil family members or toxic males, or other tropes that bring down the mood)

Did you watch Hometown Cha-cha-cha?

JaySosa

Nov 10, 2023
Mars
Nope, hardly watch any newer stuff since the backlog is so big ^^ But that sounds right up my alley, thanks!
EDIT: Watched episode one, pretty fun and exactly what I was looking for. And dude is basically the exact opposite of a toxic lead, he's almost too nice lol.
Not sure how they will spin this into 16 entertaining episodes though, lets see. Also was pleasantly surprised to see the girl from this adorable IU video.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfXqgH2RscE

Last edited:

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
Got a little side tracked with My Country, still plugging away on it soon though.

Watching Mystic Pop Bar with the better half, REALLY enjoying this one.

Death's Game seems Interesting.

Been thinking about watching Mystic Pop Bar with my partner, seems like cozy one!

Death's Game is great from what I've heard and a pretty short one to get through.

Alkez

Oct 25, 2017
My favourite part of Signal was how they kept referencing the cold case Five Oceans. Firstly, that's a damn good name. And secondly, the fact that they never actually tackle it is such a good tease.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I need recommendations for Joseon dramas!
Kingdom on netflix was good enough to make me enjoy a zombie show, which is kind of a miracle.

I enjoyed the recent The Matchmakers, and in somewhat similar veins ( mostly a focus on romance + drama ) I liked Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung and 100 Days My Prince. I wouldn't rate them as high as Mr Queen, but to be fair in my mind not many could compete with it's main actress, she single-handedly made it worth watching angel's last mission: love.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017

Someone already mentioned Kingdom, dedinitely watch that.

King's Affection would be great if the episode count was cut to like 12. Still worth a watch, the cast is great.

Another recommendation that comes to mind is Alchemy of Souls lol. Not really joseon, but it's a fantasy world that draws influences from that period, and it's an amazing show.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen Kingdom too.

I like the first episode of Alchemy of Souls but I fell asleep and it's been a year and I'm still at episode 5, maybe one day

barbarash22

Oct 19, 2019

The ones I watched and liked:
- Mr. Sunshine
- Scarlet Heart Ryeo
- My Dearest
- Lovers of the Red Sky (but has lots of fantasy elements, if that's a no-go)

Ones I know of, but I still need to watch:
- Under the Queens Umbrella
- My Country New Age
- Slave Hunters
- Secret Romantic Guesthouse
- Red Sleeve
- Moon That Embraces the Sun
- The King's Affection
- Crowned Clown
- Six Flying Dragons

There are also some that are a mixture between present day and Joseon era.
Live Up To Your Name, for example.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Live Up To Your Name was pretty cute if you can tolerate the slight supernatural element causing the time travel, and skip past the worst potty humor.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Watching Mystic Pop up Bar. Man this show has been so fantastic.

In Episode 11 (out of 12 episodes - which we have not watched yet)

The cliffhanger when

When Kang Bae gained his ultimate form, was bananas I mean we kind of knew where it was going when we found out she was pregnany. But that was great)

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
The ones I watched and liked:
- Mr. Sunshine
- Scarlet Heart Ryeo
- My Dearest
- Lovers of the Red Sky (but has lots of fantasy elements, if that's a no-go)

Ones I know of, but I still need to watch:
- Under the Queens Umbrella
- My Country New Age
- Slave Hunters
- Secret Romantic Guesthouse
- Red Sleeve
- Moon That Embraces the Sun
- The King's Affection
- Crowned Clown
- Six Flying Dragons

There are also some that are a mixture between present day and Joseon era.
Live Up To Your Name, for example.

Live Up To Your Name was pretty cute if you can tolerate the slight supernatural element causing the time travel, and skip past the worst potty humor.

Noted! Thank you guys

JaySosa

Nov 10, 2023
Mars
Scarlet Heart Ryeo is absolutely amazing but
I was an absolute emotional wreck for at least a month after it ended. The entire time I was like, this can't get any worse for her can it? And it did. It got so much worse. Poor IU. Man even thinking about it again gets me all teary eyed

Currently on episode 5 of Hometown Cha Cha and starting to really enjoy it, super chill and heartwarming, with beautiful scenery and likeable people. Exactly what I was hoping for, so thanks for the recommendation : )

Last edited:

barbarash22

Oct 19, 2019
Scarlet Heart Ryeo is absolutely amazing but
I was an absolute emotional wreck for at least a month after it ended. The entire time I was like, this can't get any worse for her can it? And it did. It got so much worse. Poor IU. Man even thinking about it again gets me all teary eyed

The best ting about this is, that at first it emotionally leads you into a completely different direction, because it has a more lighthearted and funny tone to it.
And then it absolutely destroys you. Which hits even harder because of the light hearted tone in the beginning.

barbarash22

Oct 19, 2019
Btw. anyone looking for recommendations, I am glad to help.
But there are so many K-Dramas even I forget a lot, so a good source to find new stuff of any genre and to get a good overview is

You can search for anything you like and see how it's rated or search for something specific via the filters on the right hand side.
Or you go to the the site of a show you know or like and can click on the tags to quickly find something similar.
There are some really good gems, that are never in any top lists.
And there are some at the top, where it's baffling to me how they can get such a good rating (Happiness and Alchemy of Souls 2 in particular).
But as usual everyone's taste is different.

Alkez

Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching Doctor Slump. It's a show, that exists. Not much else to add 😅

It reminds me of Start Up in the sense that the initial premise pretty much gets ignored for the romance.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Btw. anyone looking for recommendations, I am glad to help.
But there are so many K-Dramas even I forget a lot, so a good source to find new stuff of any genre and to get a good overview is

You can search for anything you like and see how it's rated or search for something specific via the filters on the right hand side.
Or you go to the the site of a show you know or like and can click on the tags to quickly find something similar.
There are some really good gems, that are never in any top lists.
And there are some at the top, where it's baffling to me how they can get such a good rating (Happiness and Alchemy of Souls 2 in particular).
But as usual everyone's taste is different.
I recently started to use mydramalist, mostly to discover cdrama since I feel like they usually get less talk/visibility ( made me discover Joy of Life two weeks ago, and now I'm almost tempted to read the novel because I can't bear the wait for season 2 ). I like that there is usually a link to a trailer of those show, and the filters can be a good way to find similar show.

I can't say the ratings are very usefull to me, I feel like people generaly tend to put much higher ratings compared to me. Like out of ~60 drama I think I have less than 10 where my rating is higher than the MyDramaList average. It kind of feel like almost everything is rated between 7.5 and 9.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Finished Mystic Pop up Bar. Loved it!

My wife says many korean dramas have bitter sweet endings, and i thought that is where this was going, glad I got my happy ending

Started Bloodhounds,, really love the relationship between the two leads.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I'm on episode 3 of Marry my Husband. It's getting good comments and high viewer counts, but so far it's cliche.

I'm enjoying Dr. Slump more.

I'll give HMM one more episode

JaySosa

Nov 10, 2023
Mars
I recently started to use mydramalist, mostly to discover cdrama since I feel like they usually get less talk/visibility ( made me discover Joy of Life two weeks ago, and now I'm almost tempted to read the novel because I can't bear the wait for season 2 ). I like that there is usually a link to a trailer of those show, and the filters can be a good way to find similar show.

I can't say the ratings are very usefull to me, I feel like people generaly tend to put much higher ratings compared to me. Like out of ~60 drama I think I have less than 10 where my rating is higher than the MyDramaList average. It kind of feel like almost everything is rated between 7.5 and 9.

Just like with games you have to ignore the rating itself and read the review, I found this to be very helpful in most cases.Plus it's great to check for variety show appearances of your favorite actors/musicians, although I would prefer if those would be listed chronologically and not by when the show itself first aired, still immensely thankful that it's there in the first place.

The best ting about this is, that at first it emotionally leads you into a completely different direction, because it has a more lighthearted and funny tone to it.
And then it absolutely destroys you. Which hits even harder because of the light hearted tone in the beginning.

yep, not even sure I want a second season like others do.
The show left such a huge impression for the mentioned reasons, it will always hold a special place in my heart. Plus IU obviously ^^

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Hmm what to do...

Killer Paradox - Netflix
Shop for Killers - D+
A Bloody Lucky Day - Paramount+

What to check out first? All 1 hour and 8 or 10 episodes long.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
Finished Flower of Evil and damn, that was so good, but in the end it doesn't fall into the 10/10 group of kdramas for me, only because of the last episode.

Felt like they needed to fill out 16 episodes so they came up with the memory loss thing, not a fan of that, too bad.

But other than that nitpick, amazing show, with probably my favorite lead couple ever. Both of them were so good, I don't think either ever did anything stupid throughout the show.

Anyway, finally started It's Okay to Not be Okay. Everyone kept saying how good it was, but for some reason I was avoiding it. Turns out it really is good lol
First four episodes have me completely hooked, we'll see how it turns out in the end.

barbarash22

Oct 19, 2019
Finished Flower of Evil and damn, that was so good, but in the end it doesn't fall into the 10/10 group of kdramas for me, only because of the last episode.

Felt like they needed to fill out 16 episodes so they came up with the memory loss thing, not a fan of that, too bad.

But other than that nitpick, amazing show, with probably my favorite lead couple ever. Both of them were so good, I don't think either ever did anything stupid throughout the show.

Anyway, finally started It's Okay to Not be Okay. Everyone kept saying how good it was, but for some reason I was avoiding it. Turns out it really is good lol
First four episodes have me completely hooked, we'll see how it turns out in the end.
At first I felt the same way about the last episode, but after thinking about it, I actually like it.
I usually don't like the memory loss twist either, but here it really fits the concept of the show. He has all this baggage and because of that he never really lived like he was himself. With the memory loss he can finally be himself.

barbarash22

Oct 19, 2019
Hmm what to do...

Killer Paradox - Netflix
Shop for Killers - D+
A Bloody Lucky Day - Paramount+

What to check out first? All 1 hour and 8 or 10 episodes long.

I only wanted to see the first few minutes of a Shop for Killers, but was instantly hooked and watched the complete first episode, I just couldn't stop.
So far it seems to be really good.

Still need to finish My Demon first, then I will continue.

Last edited:

Alkez

Oct 25, 2017
We really do like the same stuff hahaha

Edit: I've just started a show called The Bequeathed. I've only seen the first episode but so far it's very much my vibe, so it might be up your street as well. I'll report back when I've finished it.

Last edited:

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
2 eps of A Killer Paradox and man it's good. It's got that awkward, overly sensory, uncomfortable quirky-ness to it. A little hard to watch as they really lean into it at points but just keeps you watching.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Finished bloodhounds, was really good, but what in the hell…

. What happened to Mr Choi's grand daughter?! Was there a contract dispute so that is why she was so abruptly written out? To be replaced by mr oh's granddaughter Dan mi?

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
We really do like the same stuff hahaha

yesss

On episode 8 now, still loving it. I didn't expect the story to go in these directions but it's great.

Also, Kim Soo Hyun has to be one of the prettiest men ever, holy shit.
Like, all the kdrama actors are handsome, but this is another level.

Seo Ye-Ji is gorgeous as well, but I always notice the actresses.

I don't mind that a lot of time just goes into closeups of their faces lol

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
So we are going ad free Hulu for a couple of months, because my wife noticed there are several Kdramas that she wants to watch on it:

Flex Cop
Worst of Evil
Moving
Shop for Killers.

Any other recommendations we should be looking for?

less

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYhrqMcjnvo

KSH being the one crying in the trailer made me giggle. Looks like a silly dumb fun drama to watch. Just what I'm in the mood for.

So we are going ad free Hulu for a couple of months, because my wife noticed there are several Kdramas that she wants to watch on it:

Flex Cop
Worst of Evil
Moving
Shop for Killers.

What's Wrong with Secretary Kim is a nice and fun drama. Descendants of the Sun could be interesting for you too. These two are fairly different from the likes of Moving.

JaySosa

Nov 10, 2023
Mars

Flex Cop
Worst of Evil
Moving
Shop for Killers.

Seems there's not much to choose from. Besides the one you named I'd say Descendants of the Sun, but only if you're into romance. Not that the rest is bad but it's a bit all over the place, plus it really takes some time to get going. But even besides that, one of my favorite shows I've seen so far, because it really, really nailed the romance part.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017

Flex Cop
Worst of Evil
Moving
Shop for Killers.

Shop for Killers and Moving were both major highlights. Especially Moving even though it takes a few episodes to start rolling.

Shop for Killers is quite brutal though so just letting ya know on that.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Seems there's not much to choose from. Besides the one you named I'd say Descendants of the Sun, but only if you're into romance. Not that the rest is bad but it's a bit all over the place, plus it really takes some time to get going. But even besides that, one of my favorite shows I've seen so far, because it really, really nailed the romance part.

Shop for Killers and Moving were both major highlights. Especially Moving even though it takes a few episodes to start rolling.

Shop for Killers is quite brutal though so just letting ya know on that.

Thank you both!

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Finished first 3 episodes of Twinkling Watermelon last night and I was kinda bored. Does it get any better? I felt the first couple of episodes are really all about the setup so I hope it gets better soon.