Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
zxe0td1tsdlvulsdtm7s.jpg

Publisher Activision Blizzard has begun its long-rumored layoff process, informing employees this afternoon that it will be cutting staff. On an earnings call this afternoon, the company said that it would be eliminating 8% of its staff. In 2018, Activision Blizzard had roughly 9,600 employees, which would mean nearly 800 people are now out of work.

This afternoon, the mega-publisher began notifying those who are being laid off across its various organizations, which include Activision, Blizzard, and King.

On the earnings call, Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick told investors that the company had "once again achieved record results in 2018" but that the company would be consolidating and restructuring because of missed expectations for 2018 and lowered expectations for 2019. The company said it would be cutting mainly non-game-development departments and bolstering its development staff for franchises like Call of Duty and Diablo.

Development sources from across the industry told Kotaku this afternoon that the layoffs have affected Activision publishing, Blizzard, King, and some of Activision's studios, including High Moon.

More on Kotaku.

This news follows a report from Bloomberg in early January that Activision gave its new CFO a $15 Million bonus for coming onboard.

Activision Blizzard Inc.'s Dennis Durkin will receive awards worth $15 million as part of his appointment to chief financial officer.

Durkin will get $11.3 million of restricted stock tied to operating income and earnings-per-share targets, and a $3.75 million sign-on bonus, the Santa Monica, California-based company said Friday in a regulatory filing. That's on top of his $900,000 salary and a $1.35 million target bonus.

Last edited:

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
I think we're gonna see some sort of unionization at a major studio this year. Thoughts go out to all those affected, and shame on the company's c suite for maintaining their massive and unfair income packages.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Think of how many jobs could be saved if their executives didn't need $15 million bonuses.

I hope they all are able to find new work that they enjoy as soon as possible. This is terrible.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Good that Bungie got out when they did, hopefully all these people find a new job quickly.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Let this be a lesson to us all. Support a small dev- that dev grows and hires more staff. Support a large dev- execs get multimillion dollar bonuses, your support doesn't make a dent in unrealistic shareholder expectations, and nonunion employees get fired. Any time you are torn between two games you want and have to choose, think about where your money is going and what impact it can have.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that you can just lay off people THE SAME DAY without any notice is still completely and utterly insane. How could a first world country ever allow that.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Hopefully everyone lands on their feet. Shame to see Blizzard tarnished, their sterling reputation has definitely taken a hit as of late.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Let this be a lesson to us all. Support a small dev- that dev grows and hires more staff. Support a large dev- execs get multimillion dollar bonuses, your support doesn't make a dent in unrealistic shareholder expectations, and nonunion employees get fired. Any time you are torn between two games you want and have to choose, think about where your money is going and what impact it can have.
This is a gross overgeneralization. Some of the shittiest human beings I know are indie developers.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that you can just lay off people THE SAME DAY without any notice is still completely and utterly insane. How could a first world country ever allow that.
It kinda has to be that way. Sometimes people react violently when laid off. If given notice others will slack off or sabotage during their remaining time. My wife's old company laid off the IT department on a Monday (outsourced it) but had them finish out their week. Needless to say, the company's internal server and website ended up going down for several days after they left.

I believe unemployment benefits are intended to cover living expenses during the transition period.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah definitely sounds crazy. Coming in for work and getting ready to start the day to boom, you're fired and you have no job just like that in a span of a few hours.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Is there a good, non-corporate speak summary as to how they got to this point?
Same as any big company fighting bloat.
Developer makes some smash mega hits, gets cocky. Developer tries to follow up on mega hits with a newfound lack of budget and staffing restrictions, forgetting the scrappy attitudes that made them successful in the first place. Developer realizes they're now hemorrhaging money and need to downsize.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Think of how many jobs could be saved if their executives didn't need $15 million bonuses.

I hope they all are able to find new work that they enjoy as soon as possible. This is terrible.

In this case probably very little. Activision has money but they shut down few games and divisions and they don't need that many workers for those they will keep running. All people who worked on Division marketing or e-sport division for HotS ar not needed anymore, and all other departments have their own people.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
This is a gross overgeneralization. Some of the shittiest human beings I know are indie developers.
true. But generally, small companies have room to grow and tend to focus on that, while big companies tend to focus on optimizing profits. At least in my experience on earth.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Good that Bungie got out when they did, hopefully all these people find a new job quickly.
Bungie was never in danger. They were never owned or managed by Activision Blizzard. Their relationship was through a contract and partnership that Bungie was able to cut short.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
true. But generally, small companies have room to grow and tend to focus on that, while big companies tend to focus on optimizing profits. At least in my experience on earth.
No, the goal of most small companies is to grow to become big companies. I can't count how many pitches I've heard of wanting to be the next Riot/Blizzard/Supercell/etc.

Small companies have to worry about financials even more than big companies because they're much more dependent on investment.

I mean I guess there's this rare breed of indie studio where they just want to make cool games and also they had to mortgage their house and sell their cars but at least they're independent and get to keep their integrity and maybe sell 1000 copies on Steam?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Comment from ATVI's earnings PR:

In 2019, the company will increase development investment in its biggest franchises, enabling teams to accelerate the pace and quality of content for their communities and supporting a number of new product initiatives. The number of developers working on Call of Duty, CandyCrush, Overwatch, Warcraft®, Hearthstone and Diablo® in aggregate will increase approximately 20% over the course of 2019. The company will fund this greater investment by de-prioritizing initiatives that are not meeting expectations and reducing certain non-development and administrative-related costs across the business.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017

From the view of a stockholder, a company not growing in value is losing them money. To keep stockholders happy, Activision must grow their value by any means possible. Today, they are "growing" their value by subtracting hundreds of salaries from their expenses.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Damned shame, hopefully they can all find good work soon. The more galling thing about all this was the new CFO who got paid massive bonuses as soon as he got hired.

Kuni

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. All the best to all affected. Crazy that it's happening at such a successful company.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It kinda has to be that way. Sometimes people react violently when laid off. If given notice others will slack off or sabotage during their remaining time. My wife's old company laid off the IT department on a Monday (outsourced it) but had them finish out their week. Needless to say, the company's internal server and website ended up going down for several days after they left.

I believe unemployment benefits are intended to cover living expenses during the transition period.

It doesn't have to be that way at all. In fact it isn't that way many places around the world.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Comment from ATVI's earnings PR:

In 2019, the company will increase development investment in its biggest franchises, enabling teams to accelerate the pace and quality of content for their communities and supporting a number of new product initiatives. The number of developers working on Call of Duty, CandyCrush, Overwatch, Warcraft®, Hearthstone and Diablo® in aggregate will increase approximately 20% over the course of 2019. The company will fund this greater investment by de-prioritizing initiatives that are not meeting expectations and reducing certain non-development and administrative-related costs across the business.
Fucking wild that the entire revenues of 3 whole publishers can be reduced to 6 IPs.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
has a round of layoffs ever been this public, anticipated, watched in real-time? It's wild and a bit macabre.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The stock is in the crapper and they need to look like they are trying.

They simply dont have the diverse lineup compared to rivals like EA or Ubisoft and its starting to show.
COD has been on the slow decline. They have no replacement in sight. Destiny was meant to be that for this generation but we saw how that went.
Letting Destiny go which is probably the smart move in the long term considering how lukewarm its sales have been, in the short term it looks bad.
Blizzard is in a transition phase. WoW is no longer the free ticket it once was. Overwatch has peaked. Diablo 4 is years away.
eSports sounded nice but in reality how does that make a company money.

All that makes the stock drop to half its value he last 6 months. Now they gotta react and do things to be looking like they are trying and trimming some fat is a quick fix for the casual investors.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Heroes of the Storm actively missing from the list of 2019 franchises.

Shut down incoming.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

Plus in this case it seems like they'll get severance, which is basically paying you not to come in, which I assume is what people really want when they say it's crazy to lay you off without notice.

Tryxx

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sucks in every way that you lose your job but I'm sure having a company like activision on on their resume will land them another job in a very short amount of time.

Good luck to everyone though wish you the best!

MortosDer

Oct 27, 2017
"Meanwhile, in a press release to investors this afternoon, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick wrote: "While our financial results for 2018 were the best in our history, we didn't realize our full potential. To help us reach our full potential, we have made a number of important leadership changes. These changes should enable us to achieve the many opportunities our industry affords us, especially with our powerful owned franchises, our strong commercial capabilities, our direct digital connections to hundreds of millions of players, and our extraordinarily talented employees."

Disgusting

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
"The number of developers working on Call of Duty, Candy Crush, Overwatch, Warcraft, Hearthstone and Diablo in aggregate will increase approximately 20% over the course of 2019".

So the key phrase is "in aggregate", right? Meaning that the 20% increase is across all franchises, not each franchise. So some some franchises, theoretically, may be getting no boost, while others could be getting a significant boost in terms of resources.