• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
https://kotaku.com/assassins-creed-odyssey-director-says-we-missed-the-mar-1831818690

moderate DLC spoilers below

A day after apologizing for surprising Assassin's Creed Odyssey players with a mandatory in-game relationship that seemed to contradict the game's pre-release promise to let players define their character's own sexuality, the game's creative director offered a fuller apology and explanation of what his team was trying to accomplish and what they got wrong.

"Reading through player responses of our new DLC for Legacy of the First Blade, Shadow Heritage, we want to extend an apology to players disappointed by a relationship your character partakes in," Odyssey creative director Jonathan Dumont said in a post on the game's forums. "The intention of this story was to explain how your character's bloodline has a lasting impact on the Assassins, but looking through your responses it is clear that we missed the mark."

more at the link

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question:
How can you not design new content of a game with lasting character choices and then not include them?
I mean, they knew what game they were working on, right?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a start, but a lot of damage has been done. This doesn't remotely put things back to square one.

Shoreu

Oct 25, 2017
In this case I genuinely feel as if they shouldn't have apologized. Even games with choices have some made for you there isn't anything to apologize for.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I don't understand how this happens when they made such a big deal of player-agency with your character's relationships and sexuality in the main game. Like, it may as well have been a "back of the box" feature.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Kass does not look pleased...

nesvmtjraf2f8sbsxzgt.png

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
+ some good tweets (thread) from Heather Alexandra:

They really fucked up big time on this one :/

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
At least they admit they fucked up

They deserve respect for that

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how this happens when they made such a big deal of player-agency with your character's relationships and sexuality in the main game. Like, it may as well have been a "back of the box" feature.
Because this is not a team with experience in player-driven narratives.

They had the idea (for whatever reason) that the player character would procreate, and they fumbled their way toward that goal in the DLC (poorly, and at odds with actual player choice and all their statements prior to the release of the game).

A more experienced team would have known the pitfalls beforehand and probably never started down that path. But what's done is done. At least here they're clearly saying they needed to get the baby in there but didn't want to force you into a relationship, and the final installment will let you distance yourself from that particular plot point (hopefully with some nuance, although odds are that it won't be handled that well either).

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN

That's my thoughts as well. If they were planning on using lineage as a plot device for future games, they should have Iimplemented it from the beginning.

Instead it comes off as lazy and a slap in the face for folks who chose a different path for their characters.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
+ some good tweets (thread) from Heather Alexandra:

They really fucked up big time on this one :/

It's kinda the point of the game's story. Kassandra exists solely due to an obligation to continue the bloodline. Of course, they could rejig the quest a bit because there's some clumsy execution, but "continue the bloodline either through love or duty" is the core of the story. It pops up again and again in the narrative of the main game.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Nice spin, but no, even if that choice reflected the "duty" of having a child (which is itself debatable!), There were a couple of scenes showing the main character developing feelings with the opposite sex guy/gal.

Don't try to pull a fast one with us Ubi, tell the truth, the DLC is being done separately by a team with poor communication with the main one and such didn't even /know/ having a forced heterosexual relation went against the main game.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
It sounds like you'll still have the baby...but don't need to like the other parent?

Is that supposed to fix things?
Yeah. The mercenary with a heart of gold that went through a whole Odyssey to REUNITE with family is gonna be totally ok with abandoning her child to keep her mercenary life!

Quality character writing right there.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's my thoughts as well. If they were planning on using lineage as a plot device for future games, they should have Iimplemented it from the beginning.

Instead it comes off as lazy and a slap in the face for folks who chose a different path for their characters.

Lineage has been an important part of the story since the first game, though.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
This is why Assassin's Creed is doomed and i don't understand why people tell me i'm out of the subject.
One of the main story of the franchise is the bloodline. It's the story of our ancestors.

Problem? No way to have a baby without "sexual relationship" in the past (or without a piece of eden...).
And since 2010's see the rise of the LGBT community (and that's awesome) now it feels like Assassin's Creed is promoting bloodline so far-right stuff.

AC is doomed. It can"t recover from this. This is the end of the franchise. It's Weinstein lvl of shit.

I can already see at E3 2020 about next AC the "choices are back" and then sarcastic meme around reddit, resetera, boards etc... "until you meet someone and have a baby" or stuff like that. AC is over.
And more of that , the "lore" they built during the games made some assassins to be played or to appeared an obligation.
A China Game without playing Shao Jun? No.
But what if i want to play as a man? Or a lesbian female? We know Shao Jun is the only student Ezio had. So what? We destroy the lore so we can please everybody (and THEY HAVE TO! THAT'S THE SOLUTION! ) .They won't.
AC is over.

Making my Kassandra (lesbian) have to slept with a man is a bad move. I put many hours into this character.
And the worst? "i have to have a baby"

NO YOU DON'T ! You are a strong woman, you don't need to support this bloodline alt-right ubi stuff

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to be a fly on the wall in the rooms where the initial discussions for this plot took place.

You have to believe this exact issue was brought up. I really want to know why they thought it wouldn't be a big deal.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
I'd like to be a fly on the wall in the rooms where the initial discussions for this plot took place.

You have to believe this exact issue was brought up. I really want to know why they thought it wouldn't be a big deal.

Because Ubisoft is far-right that's why. No way a good company who promote the game around "choices" would have let that happen.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
It's kinda the point of the game's story. Kassandra exists solely due to an obligation to continue the bloodline. Of course, they could rejig the quest a bit because there's some clumsy execution, but "continue the bloodline either through love or duty" is the core of the story. It pops up again and again in the narrative of the main game.

I mean they clearly found ways to go past that shit before so there was no need to keep that line here of all places.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I am a little behind on this game, so this means I can have a gay/lesbian relationship in the main game? That's awesome, I didn't know that! Really stupid that it doesn't carry into the dlc, but I'm never playing that any way. I'll just play the main game.

WastedDeer

Oct 27, 2017
Nice spin, but no, even if that choice reflected the "duty" of having a child (which is itself debatable!), There were a couple of scenes showing the main character developing feelings with the opposite sex guy/gal.

Don't try to pull a fast one with us Ubi, tell the truth, the DLC is being done separately by a team with poor communication with the main one and such didn't even /know/ having a forced heterosexual relation went against the main game.

Just curious how they could continue the bloodline without having a baby? I'm not debating the stupidity of going down this forced route. (It is and they should have left it well alone) Just wondering what you think they could have done different if they were determined to include a dlc like this.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Genuine question with no hidden intentions or anything like that:
Is Kassandra supposed to ever have children, canonically? Does she have direct blood descendants in the lore?

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why Assassin's Creed is doomed and i don't understand why people tell me i'm out of the subject.
One of the main story of the franchise is the bloodline. It's the story of our ancestors.

Problem? No way to have a baby without "sexual relationship" in the past (or without a piece of eden...).
And since 2010's see the rise of the LGBT community (and that's awesome) now it feels like Assassin's Creed is promoting bloodline so far-right stuff.

AC is doomed. It can"t recover from this. This is the end of the franchise. It's Weinstein lvl of shit.

I can already see at E3 2020 about next AC the "choices are back" and then sarcastic meme around reddit, resetera, boards etc... "until you meet someone and have a baby" or stuff like that. AC is over.
And more of that , the "lore" they built during the games made some assassins to be played or to appeared an obligation.
But what if i want to play as a man? Or a lesbian female? We know Shao Jun is the only student Ezio had. So what? We destroy the lore so we can please everybody (and THEY HAVE TO! THAT'S THE SOLUTION! ) .They won't.
AC is over.

Making my Kassandra (lesbian) have to slept with a man is a bad move. I put many hours into this character.

NO YOU DON'T ! You are a strong woman, you don't need to support this bloodline alt-right ubi stuff
You should take your meds, mate. Or stop taking them if you are.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I mean they clearly found ways to go past that shit before so there was no need to keep that line here of all places.

That's missing the point entirely. Kassanda is a human/Isu hybrid. Her father was also a hybrid. He conceived her solely to continue the bloodline of human/Isu hybrids. Kassandra does the same in this DLC plotline. Players don't get to choose actions, but rather shape the motivations behind those actions. (Albeit somewhat clumsily.)

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Okay, this was a stupid decision, but I think calling Ubisoft alt-right or far right is reaching a bit.

It was just a bad story decision that wasn't in line with the stated goals of the main game, and unfortunately hurt some players in the process.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Genuine question with no hidden intentions or anything like that:
Is Kassandra supposed to ever have children, canonically? Does she have direct blood descendants in the lore?

I thought so but somebody explain yesterday that "no" she doesn't.
The only character who have descendants is Darius. But Kass being her daughter-in-law? No.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Her/His (depending on who you play) father conceived the player entirely to preserve the bloodline rather than build a family. He even says it was a necessity rather than love.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Because Ubisoft is far-right that's why. No way a good company who promote the game around "choices" would have let that happen.

Uhhhhh.. what?

We must be talking about two different Ubisofts here. This is a bummer, but you're legitimately overreacting. Weinstein level? Are you serious right now?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

No one is saying the series is doomed, but this was a cock up

As for the bolded, it's a series about using magic machines to relive memories to save the world from ancient aliens, I have enough respect for the writing team to believe they could have written around it and not undermined something they pushed as a huge selling point of the game

They have also backtracked before with the whole direct ancestor thing changing to let anyone experience anyone's memories

There is no need to be this defensive over it

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

AC is over.

Is this a new FF13 meme

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017

The DLC was developed by a different team so it's entirely possible that they just didn't understand or care about the design goals of the main team, or what the audience perceived as important.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Uhhhhh.. what?

We must be talking about two different Ubisofts here. This is a bummer, but you're legitimately overreacting. Weinstein level? Are you serious right now?

This game is just making our characters forced to be in a heterosexual relationship ...for Bloodline. Wtf? I don't want my character to be dominated by the "natural" way of conceiving a life. She's free.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
A company who showed a lesbian character doing lesbian things in fucking E3 is far right because of this one screw up

lol

If Ubisoft is far right then what about the company who created the character in your avatar? Is Nintendo Hitler? Like what

replicantUK

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
A bit of a cock up, but let's not make too big a deal out of it.

This does not diminish the good stuff present in Oydessy.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
That's missing the point entirely. Kassanda is a human/Isu hybrid. Her father was also a hybrid. He conceived her solely to continue the bloodline of human/Isu hybrids. Kassandra does the same in this DLC plotline. Players don't get to choose actions, but rather shape the motivations behind those actions. (Albeit somewhat clumsily.)
that's an ill conceived plot point to have in a game where you get to choose the romantic interest of the character.
There's a huge number of ways this could have been avoided, it's poor planning on Ubi's part

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
A company who showed a lesbian character doing lesbian things in fucking E3 is far right because of this one screw up

lol

If Ubisoft is far right then what about the company who created the character in your avatar? Is Nintendo Hitler? Like what
You mean the company that forbade gay relationships in its relationship game?

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017

lol

Nintendo never promised me to choice whatever i want to do about gender/relationship in a mario game.
And as for my avatar; it's a picture i take during a SMO game and it made me laugh.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

AC is over.

It this a Meme I am missing or... what?

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
This game is just making our characters forced to be in a heterosexual relationship ...for Bloodline. Wtf? I don't want my character to be dominated by the "natural" way of conceiving a life. She's free.
Also it's like...she's not entirely human.

Ubisoft could come up with some sci-fi stuff as a way to explain reproduction if they wanted to.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017

It's dumb, yes. I don't think anyone is saying otherwise.

To say that it's on the level as a real person who used his position of power to sexually harass a bunch of real people, is, well... c'mon, dude.

The DLC was developed by a different team so it's entirely possible that they just didn't understand or care about the design goals of the main team, or what the audience perceived as important.

Makes me wonder if they just pretend this ending isn't canonical whenever it comes to future stuff with regards to Kass. Might be the best thing that they can do at this point. :/