Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Spanfeller and fuck GOM.

Gita: I love every single person who works for Kotaku. And when I say love, I mean love. Like I have been sobbing about the idea of not working with them for basically an entire month. And when I mean sobbing, I mean big fat, wet tears, snot coming out of my nose. Just absolute abject misery. So I love to talk to you because of what you just said, about looking at a time of strife and people deciding that you're just going to be the best you can possibly be. I feel like that's a deeply Kotaku instinct, always going out with two big middle fingers. And that's like the tightest thing in the world.

Josh: I feel robbed of the opportunity to love this place as much as you do.
Josh: There's no way I feel supported as a writer. I know Stephen Totilo, bless up, will go to the ends of the earth for us.

Gita: Hell yeah. He would fight an army. He cares so much about his writers.

Josh: It's a shame that we don't have owners that care for a fraction as much. You know, they don't, they don't shout out our work. They don't care for our work.

Gita: I'm not even sure that Jim Spanfeller is aware that he has a video game website.

Josh: I mean, he might know now.

Gita: [laughs.] Yeah. Sup dude. Suck it.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Wait shit we're 2/3 for the match 3 podcast returning if Gita is gonna be on waypoint

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pulling no punches. Cool that the interview was posted on Kotaku.

Any chance that Gita is joining Giant Bomb?

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Dang, I'm not familiar with Josh but I've been loving Gita's video content.

Kind of crazy that they're calling out this Jim Spanfeller guy in this way.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Does FFX hold some significance for the two of them? I don't see anything in the article about that so just curious.

Also the transparency and allowing them to voice their issues with the owners of Kotaku is really cool. A lot of sites wouldn't do that.

How does spanfeller still have a job?

Isn't he the owner?

bell_hooks

Banned
Nov 23, 2019
Wow fuck their CEO. I just criticized Gita's article in other thread, but she has brought unique perspective to this website and has been one of the people that define Kotaku for me. Website needs those kind of people. Is it right to assume that Kotaku is slowly being killed off?

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Spanfeller.

Congrats to Gita for joining Motherboard and hellllllllll yes to her being on Waypoint Radio

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Pulling no punches. Cool that the interview was posted on Kotaku.

Any chance that Gita is joining Giant Bomb?

Already said she's joining Motherboard/Waypoint. And I really, really don't think she would want to A.) re-gear what she does towards GB-style video output, and more importantly, B.) put up with the GB audience, which feels very counter to her style.

Anyway, good for them getting out, but man it feels like a real death knell for Kotaku and the GM Media sites as a whole.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I feel terrible people are being forced out and thus forced to spread out amongst various sites
The blatant disgust everyone has for this guy, can't believe he still has a job with how public everything is

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Really considering how things have gone the last few months, I'm surprised Jason is still around

Oct 25, 2017
Spanfeller destroyed fucking Deadspin, so I assume that he'll turn his wrath on those damned libruls at Kotaku, AVClub, and especially The Root in due time.

Oct 27, 2017
There's some useful context here in that memos were leaked today from Spanfeller regarding his desire to move Deadspin under The Onion's corporate structure, move the entity to Chicago, and walk away from negotiations with the GMG Union. Whether or not this is directly related to these two leaving is unknown, but his idiocy still abounds.

I fully expect more G/O Media employees to jump ship as The Herb continues his disastrous run as Tough Mr. Businessboy.

Nov 23, 2017
Does FFX hold some significance for the two of them? I don't see anything in the article about that so just curious.

Also the transparency and allowing them to voice their issues with the owners of Kotaku is really cool. A lot of sites wouldn't do that.

Isn't he the owner?
technically the owner is a group of profit maximizing suits (Green Hill Partners, who would sell or chop up the entire enterprise faster than a mouse could sneeze if they felt like it) that treat the entirely of the journalistic operation that was Gawker Media and its employees, IP, tech, and most important, relationships and connections as no different than you would treat the 500 shares of IBM your grandpa got you when you were born. To them it is a financialized asset and nothing more.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
too bad we won't get any kotaku posts by paul maidment under an anonymous byline

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Can someone educate me on this Spamfellow dude, because apparently he sucks

So, his private equity firm bought the Gizmodo Media Group sites/AV Club and the Onion from Univision almost a year ago. A few months ago, he gave the sports site Deadspin an editorial mandate to "stick to sports", which did not go well given that Deadspin was known for not sticking to sports. He then fired Deadspin's very popular deputy editor, which caused their entire staff to walk out. He tried getting some freelancers to keep the site alive, but the response was so vitriolic that it failed, and Deadspin hasn't had a new post in like three months.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
So, his private equity firm bought the Gizmodo Media Group sites/AV Club and the Onion from Univision almost a year ago. A few months ago, he gave the sports site Deadspin an editorial mandate to "stick to sports", which did not go well given that Deadspin was known for not sticking to sports. He then fired Deadspin's very popular deputy editor, which caused their entire staff to walk out. He tried getting some freelancers to keep the site alive, but the response was so vitriolic that it failed, and Deadspin hasn't had a new post in like three months.
technically the owner is a group of profit maximizing suits (Green Hill Partners, who would sell or chop up the entire enterprise faster than a mouse could sneeze if they felt like it) that treat the entirely of the journalistic operation that was Gawker Media and its employees, IP, tech, and most important, relationships and connections as no different than you would treat the 500 shares of IBM your grandpa got you when you were born. To them it is a financialized asset and nothing more.
JMJrwqR.png

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Damn what a bummer, loved Gita and Joshua's articles. And LOVED how pissed people got when Gita wrote about the Sims, felt brave to do it on such a mainstream gaming site

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how long it'll be before Spanfeller starts deleting comments and "edits" this piece to remove the references to him.

Five minutes? Ten minutes? An hour? He's stupid enough to try it.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Part of me thinks it's great that these people are willing to publicly bash their management as they exit and part of me wonders what they think they'll accomplish at the cost of potentially making other.. well.. managers, not want to hire them.

Praise them for their honestly, but worry about the cost for them.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

I loved Deadspin and miss it every day. The fact that we haven't gotten a Dick Joke Jambaroo in months because of this herb should be a crime.

Part of me thinks it's great that these people are willing to publicly bash their management as they exit and part of me wonders what they think they'll accomplish at the cost of potentially making other.. well.. managers, not want to hire them.

Praise them for their honestly, but worry about the cost for them.

Most of the Deadspin folks went out with very blatant middle fingers, and with the exception of Drew have gotten full-time jobs.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kotaku are doing it right. Holding themselves as a company accountable by not ignoring the toxic shit behind the scenes. I triple dare you to fire Jason - he would only become more powerful than many could imagine.

and you'd have fuck all you herb

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
oh no! more people leaving Kotaku is really sad.....

their conversation was brutally honest — i wonder when that page will be taken down by Spamfellow....