• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is about queer representation in gaming as a whole, not specifically Last of Us 2. Please engage with the entirety of the article and points presented in it, or don't engage at all.

(Note: Please read this entire post and the linked segments from the article. Drive-by posts from users who have clearly not read the post will be reported per ResetERA rules)

I was considering making a thread about this in regards to The Last of Us Part II, but Kotaku has beaten me to the punch and written a great article on a subject that has long bothered me.

In short: video games, like many other forms of media, frequently invoke a frustrating, outdated, and insidious trope, commonly called "Bury Your Gays," in which queer characters are subjected to disproportionate amounts of violence, bigotry, injury, unhappiness, and death. As Kotaku's Heather Alexandra writes:

When The Last Of Us Part II's new trailer debuted at this year's E3, protagonist Ellie enjoyed a slow dance and kiss with another woman. My queer friends and I confessed to one another that we were assuming the worst. That happy girl will probably die, because while games allow us to be many things—space marines, mages, and tenacious heroes—they rarely allow queer people to be happy.

This article primarily focuses on queer representation in video games, such as Bioware's games, and in particular calls out two of the more well-known games that have condemned their queer characters to unhappiness and death: Life Is Strange and The Last of Us: Left Behind. Life Is Strange infamously forces queer protagonist Max into a plothole-ridden false choice between the life of the girl she loves and the lives of her friends and family, while Left Behind commits a particularly common subtrope of the Bury Your Gays phenomenon, in which two queer characters discover or consummate their feelings right before one of them is murdered.

What is particularly frustrating about The Last of Us Part II is that Naughty Dog has already killed one of Ellie's same-sex love interests, and is almost certainly about to do it again (spare me the "We don't know what happens to her" drivel -- Ellie's path of vengeance and rage in TLOU2 makes it pretty obvious her girlfriend isn't hanging around in the background chillaxing until she comes home).

A couple of months ago, I wrote a short analysis of the origins of this trope and why it is often committed by otherwise well-meaning LGBT allies like Naughty Dog:

No one who has committed the Bury Your Gays trope in recent years did so because they are overtly homophobic or hate queer people. Whether it's Dontnod or Buffy's writers or The 100's writers or The Walking Dead's writers or Arrow's writers or any of the other hundreds of recent works of fiction that have killed queer characters, they are all written by people who consider themselves queer allies and genuinely do not hold any malice towards queer people.

But again, the thing about systemic discrimination is that an individual person's intent doesn't matter. They are part of a larger system and are contributing to discrimination even if they are not consciously aware of what they're doing.

In the Kotaku article, the author notes a common counter-argument to this trope:

"But this is a post-apocalyptic story," someone might say and they are right. People are going to suffer in that setting regardless of gender or sexuality. That's par for the genre, but it speaks volumes that so many people I know fear Naughty Dog might retread Left Behind, opting for a predictable tragedy we've already seen instead of something unique.

I want these queer characters to have happy endings, or at least different ones, but I still love the stories that I have, imperfect though they may be. BioWare's cast of heroes provide examples of bravery and humility that I strive to emulate. Life is Strange's tender romance captures a sense of early sexual awakening. The Last of Us' Ellie is a goddamn survivor. All of that is fantastic, but it comes at a price. That price, often, is the agency and happiness of queer characters.

But why do we have to pay that price, and so often? I'm not suggesting that the queers should always get to dance in a field of gumdrops at the end of every game in which they appears, but considering the real world's continued eagerness to trample the marginalized, one of the most radical things art could do right now would be to show us a world in which we are more than our suffering.

There has been an increasing backlash against this trope in a variety of forms of media by the queer community, most notably with the TV series The 100, whose anticlimactic and cliched murder of a popular lesbian character caused a major boycott of the show and permanently damaged its reputation. While I'm excited for TLOU2, I also can't help but know that Naughty Dog is about to step into the same controversy they could have easily avoided in so many ways by actually sitting down and having conversations with queer people about what kinds of stories they'd like to see. Representation doesn't count if it's always just an "ally" coming up with whatever kind of story they want and knowing their marginalized viewers will show up out of obligation.

No one is saying queer characters should never have to suffer in fiction, but it is an unavoidable fact that they are made to suffer far more frequently than their straight counterparts. The number of mainstream films, TV shows, and video games with canonically queer protagonists who get their happy ending can basically be counted on one hand.

One suggestion on how this trope can be made less common is to expand the types of stories in which queer people appear. Often, queer characters are relegated to post-apocalyptic wastelands, gritty dramas, and violent fictional worlds where characters are more likely to meet a gruesome end. Featuring a wider variety of queer characters in a wider variety of fiction, such as comedies, fantastical sci-fi, and family-friendly fare would go a long way towards fixing the hugely disproportionate number of queer characters who are maimed or killed in fiction.

As a group of people who are already horribly oppressed in the real world, it would be nice if for once we could have a fictional representation where that isn't the case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it was unavoidable in TLOU2 since no one is happy in that world.

But I agree its a problem broadly and ND did not choose to break it.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Huh, this article went a different direction than I thought it would. I think if Ellie was the one case of a character having everything go well for them, a different set of people would complain that ND is treating the character with gentle gloves because she is gay.

I think ND treating her as just another character, with her sexuality a part of her character, not her entire character, is important for the game industry, and while Kotaku certainly has a right to be unhappy about it, I can't help but feel that backlash like this will cause developers to hesitate to include LGBT characters in their games, which is incredibly counter-productive.

Jun 11, 2018
As a gay man I really don't feel like we have a bury-your-gays trope when we're underrepresented in media in the first place.

I would strongly recommend waiting til the game is out and then starting the critique instead of jumping down their throats ahead of time like its a new David Cage game

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's going to be a lot of challenging to this opinion due to the nature of those games and just more generally relationships in games which are so often used for cheap emotional punches. I agree that it would be good to more often see those relationships be somewhat healthy and reasonable instead of the hellacious situations they always seem to end up in. But I guess that also goes with the nature of the property.

I will say though, Heathers editorial does feel a bit like those of people who were dissapointed in an ending to something because it's wasn't a happily ever after story in context.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TLOU is not the game you should be looking to for happiness. No one is happy regardless of race, sex, or orientation. Its a dreary post apocalyptic hellscape.

Now, that doesn't mean it isn't a problem, it is. I just don't think TLOU2 should be the game to address it.

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I think this is mostly likely a problem for other titles (whether it be movies, games, books etc), I feel like going after The Last of Us for this problem is a bit of a reach.

No one is happy in the world TLOU takes place in.

Also, none of the story is based around Ellie's sexuality (which is GREAT). She's just a character that happens to be a lesbian, and it's not a major focus or anything of the sort.

Eh, I'm just not seeing TLOU to be the hill to die on for this trope/problem.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Max is gay? Isn't it a choice based game or is that canon now?

Deleted member 15447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I read the OP.

I understand the point.

I totally don't understand how anyone can expect a game about death, survival, gore, zombies, the end of the world to address this.

And how many games at all actually have 'happy endings?'

The fact that Ellie is such an iconic character in one of the most revered games and gaming stories and just happens to be gay says as much as anything really. It's saying she is as normal as anyone of us and that there is no need to go out of the way to write happy endings or such for her. Oppressed people want to be treated normally, not special.

Last edited:

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Come on... The Last Of Us is set in a post apocalyptic world, where everyone is battling to survive. Joel never struck me as very happy when his daughter was killed and he lived as a loner in a zombie apocalypse. Ellie shouldn't endure violence or sadness too just because she's gay? Isn't that patronising?

chironex

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, this article went a different direction than I thought it would. I think if Ellie was the one case of a character having everything go well for them, a different set of people would complain that ND is treating the character with gentle gloves because she is gay.

I think ND treating her as just another character, with her sexuality a part of her character, not her entire character, is important for the game industry, and while Kotaku certainly has a right to be unhappy about it, I can't help but feel that backlash like this will cause developers to hesitate to include LGBT characters in their games, which is incredibly counter-productive.

It's not backlash, it's just "we love having queer characters, it would be even cooler if you could tone down the whole explicitly killing them to garner sympathy thing."

And I very much doubt developers will stop including LGBT characters because people would prefer if stories moved away from the predictable tropes. Even if simply because there are queer people working in game dev who also care about these things.

edit: It probably would help to focus less on TLOU2 as a specific case (for a start we don't even know what happens there) and think about the broader patterns of representation.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Has there ever been a post-apocalyptic movie/show/game with Lesbian characters where both of them survived?

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's not backlash, it's just "we love having queer characters, it would be even cooler if you could tone down the whole explicitly killing them to garner sympathy thing."

And I very much doubt developers will stop including LGBT characters because people would prefer if stories moved away from the predictable tropes. Even if simply because there are queer people working in game dev who also care about these things.

But, isn't it more patronizing if they didn't die, or get otherwise hurt in a world where everyone else experiences trauma of some kind?

Last of Us is not the hill you want to die on

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
How about we let them tell the story they want to tell and stop dictating how storytellers treat characters just because of who they are? Also, they are making a massive video game with a gay, female character - let's be happy that this could open many new stories, characters, and diversity for years to come. I mean, fuck...

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Waypoint did an interview with Druckmann and Gross where this came up. My phone isn't cooperating with copy and pasting right now but basically they say that they're well aware of these kinds of tropes in this genre of fiction and that they keep them in mind while writing but the overarching story comes first.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
spare me the "We don't know what happens to her" drivel

We don't know what happens to her. I mean yeah, it seems like she's going to die, but everyone also thought Sam was going to be a villain in Uncharted 4 and that never happened. Maybe ND will subvert the trope, who knows. I'm not gonna complain about a character being killed off until she's, y'know, actually killed off.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh I feel like the world that the game is based on doesn't really allow for any type of person to live "happily".

It's post apocalyptic where almost everyone is willing to kill you for supplies and there are infected humans/zombies roaming around.

Also, I honestly never realized there's a "bury your Gays" trope in video games. Or are we just talking about media in general? There's barely even any gay people in video games to begin with.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
When I first saw the trailer, I was a little worried they would kill Ellie's love interest to provide the motivation for her revenge. However, after giving it more thought, I actually think her mother's history will provide the motivation. Killing her girlfriend would kinda be the obvious route, it would also be the most problematic (for the reasons laid out in the OP), which is why I think it won't pan out that way.

Instead I kinda see the story developing where Ellie learns of her mother and maybe what some gang of zealots did to her, which sets her on her path of revenge. Ellie's partner will be the one who tries to get her to stay, maybe not having a deep understanding of Ellie's past and her brush with violence, basically she'd be the symbol of the life she could be having, but turns down due to her pursuit of revenge. I can then see Joel being a character who also tries to get her to stay, but who understands what she has been through and what kind of person she is, and knowing she will not be persuaded otherwise, ultimately supports her.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How about we let them tell the story they want to tell and stop dictating how storytellers treat characters just because of who they are? Also, they are making a massive video game with a gay, female character - let's be happy that this could open many new stories, characters, and diversity for years to come. I mean, fuck...

I agree but the current climate is one of excessive analysis, where everything is a trope and nothing is ever good enough.

The irony is that this type of approach is as likely to make developers shy away from exploring such characters for fear of backlash and public scoldings.

That isn't to denounce such analysis entirely but I do think it's getting a bit ridiculous.

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
From the article:
Yet, even when Max alters reality to save her friend or bring her happiness, Chloe suffers. In an alternate timeline where Max prevents Chloe's father from dying, Chloe ends up in a car crash and is paraplegic. In this timeline, Chloe begs Max to euthanize her;
the story shuts down both disabled and queer people's right to happiness in one fell swoop.

Yeah, that was keenly felt. I really liked Life is Strange, but when your antennae are attuned to ableist and homphobic narratives it's easy to wish that DONTNOD had done a little better. Criticism made, I believe they've listened to their community. Vampyr's gay couple had one of the best backstories of all the game's NPCs. I'll be there day one for season 2 and I'm loving Captain Spirit.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Max is gay? Isn't it a choice based game or is that canon now?
Yeah, I was under the assumption that DONTNOD purposefully kept it open to respect the player's choices.

In either case, I haven't played The Last of Us, but I have to expect that anyone in a zombie game is fair game for a bad ending. Does The Last of Us approach its story in the sense that people can rebuild after whatever's going on passes, or does it approach it as though things will never get better? If things won't get better, then I don't understand how anyone could reasonably expect a happy ending for anyone. There's more to characters than whether they end up "happy" in the end, and no one (writers included) should take any one character for granted in the greater scheme of things. I love it when a story completely betrays my expectations by taking risks and applying consequences to characters, as I don't think it happens nearly enough. That said, I think there's a place for series like The Last of Us (and The Walking Dead) that have a much different idea of what a "good" ending is.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Its telling how ingrained this trope is into people half of the responses in this thread are going "its the last of us what do you expect?" as if the only possible way for an lgbt character to experience drama and trauma is to have a love interest die

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The article does have a point when it brings up Left Behind, but I also think it's a very tough ask in this case. What happened in Left Behind probably would have happened even if Ellie was heterosexual. It was meant to show her growth as a character that just happened to fall in love but lost everything. The ending wouldn't have as much as an impact as it did if that character survived. And it's not like the death is only there to garner sympathy in a bad way: the writers want you to love a queer character and feel the loss.

Queer characters appear to suffer more because they are a minority, so if you kill off one or two queer characters in your game, there's a good chance you killed off all of the LGBT cast. Asking for a happy ending for these characters in games that feature apocalyptic scenarios may not always be realistic.

Like, LGBT characters deserve to suffer as much as any other character.

Oct 25, 2017
While I will probably agree with you if the game comes out like the trailers and stuff have telegraphed the story to play out... I feel like people are underestimating ND's capacity to misdirect.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also OP, I would like to hear your opinion on the first game.
A lot of the characters you encounter who are straight end up dying/being killed, however Bill, who you end up finding out is gay, doesn't suffer the same fate.

It doesn't seem like Naughty Dog is the type of dev to suffer from this so called "bury your Gays" trope that you mention, so if Dina does die (we have no idea if she does, whether you like it or not) I wouldn't exactly say it's Naughty Dog falling victim to the trope that you mention.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This article isn't specifically about TLOU2, but a wider trope of which TLOU2 is merely the latest offender.

To reiterate:
One suggestion on how this trope can be made less common is to expand the types of stories in which queer people appear. Often, queer characters are relegated to post-apocalyptic wastelands, gritty dramas, and violent fictional worlds where characters are more likely to meet a gruesome end. Featuring a wider variety of queer characters in a wider variety of fiction, such as comedies, fantastical sci-fi, and family-friendly fare would go a long way towards fixing the hugely disproportionate number of queer characters who are maimed or killed in fiction.

As much as "post-apocalyptic lesbians" is my aesthetic, queer women did actually exist before the end of the world too, and it'd be nice if they occasionally showed up there.

everyone also thought Sam was going to be a villain in Uncharted 4 and that never happened

Sam was supposed to be the villain of Uncharted 4, but then Amy Hennig quit and the entire game was rewritten and reshot with a new script. That first trailer wasn't supposed to be misleading.

Oct 25, 2017
Also OP, I would like to hear your opinion on the first game.
A lot of the characters you encounter who are straight end up dying/being killed, however Bill, who you end up finding out is gay, doesn't suffer the same fate.

It doesn't seem like Naughty Dog is the type of dev to suffer from this so called "bury your Gays" trope that you mention, so if Dina does die (we have no idea if she does, whether you like it or not) I wouldn't exactly say it's Naughty Dog falling victim to the trope that you mention.
Wut. Don't we see Bill's lover's hanging corpse?

chironex

Oct 27, 2017
But, isn't it more patronizing if they didn't die, or get otherwise hurt in a world where everyone else experiences trauma of some kind?

Last of Us is not the hill you want to die on

.... I'm dying on a hill here?

Nobody is asking that in the specific case of TLOU2 queer characters are afforded a magical protection from the horrors of the post-apocalyptic world. The writer of the article is merely hoping that the story does not go the way that seems most immediately obvious at first, and discussing that in the broader context of tropes regarding queer representation in games.

IDK maybe you should read the article (bolding mine)

"But this is a post-apocalyptic story," someone might say and they are right. People are going to suffer in that setting regardless of gender or sexuality. That's par for the genre, but it speaks volumes that so many people I know fear Naughty Dog might retread Left Behind, opting for a predictable tragedy we've already seen instead of something unique.

I want these queer characters to have happy endings, or at least different ones

Gasoline

Jun 14, 2018
It's fine and dandy to just say "It's TLoU, everyone dies" but the fact remains that they introduced a queer girl purely to kill her (likely in an incredibly horrific matter).

I'll be happy to be positively surprised by this not happening but I see that chance at approaching zero.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
TLoU is set in a miserable world and it's just not a happy story, so it makes sense for her character

Can anyone provide me with some examples of queer individuals in video games suffering disproportionate or seemingly targeted suffering that justifies the existence of this trope? As others have said, TLOU is not a world where people are happy.

This is not a loaded question, I'm asking sincerely.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
What is particularly frustrating about The Last of Us Part II is that Naughty Dog has already killed one of Ellie's same-sex love interests, and is almost certainly about to do it again (spare me the "We don't know what happens to her" drivel -- Ellie's path of vengeance and rage in TLOU2 makes it pretty obvious her girlfriend isn't hanging around in the background chillaxing until she comes home)..

No...just no. Because that's not how it works. Why exactly are you assuming that her path of revenge is brought on by Dina? Why can't it be brought on by something that happens to Joel? Why can't it be something that happens to Tommy? It's been five years since the original, so why can't it be something that happens to the community that's been formed since then? Why can't it be brought on by something that she learns happened to her mother? In the case of her mom, all we know about her death is that she says in her letter to Ellie that her life is going to be cut a little short. We don't know what that meant. What if we learn that the Seraphite (the cult in Part II) had a hand in that early death? There are so many avenues that could lead Ellie down a path of revenge that I just don't see how Dina dying is the only probable option.

I get the fear that some have that they'll kill her. But I also think it's far too obvious. Neil was quite open after the original game was released about how they intentionally misled people about the story in certain ways. The most blatant was their continued insistence that Joel was the only playable character. And then it turns out that the first character we play as is Sarah, and then of course later on there's Ellie. In the case of Dina's speculated death, people have latched on to the fact that Ellie's wearing the same bracelet as Dina during the gameplay section (and we know that takes place a year after the cutscene). But that's exactly why I think it's too obvious. They make sure we get a closeup of that bracelet on both of them. It seems like a rather blatant misdirection on ND's part. They certainly had to know that people would immediately see that and jump to the idea that Dina's going to die. But another entirely realistic scenario is that Dina simply gives it to Ellie as a token of their relationship. The fact that Ellie's wearing it doesn't have to mean something bad happened to Dina.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i feel like OP should have marked their spoilers better holy shit

i'm going to enjoy a certain game a lot less knowing up front what happens

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The article did a good job using TLOU2 to frame the opinion but I dont feel like it really called it out. Just contextualized the issue and offered many other examples too.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think they should just be trying their best to tell an egaging story. At this point, a lesbian lead in major video game is a step in the right direction in terms of representation. The game doesnt treat Ellie as a special case, most of the people in TLoU are just unhappy in general, I wouldnt chastise the game if she does end up unhappy, cause thats really just the kind of game it is and there is no malicious intent (as the article alludes to). Expecting TLoU to be happy is kind of setting yourself up for disappointment, thats not to say there isnt an issue, its just not an issue that will be solved in this game.

The major point of note is they need more diversed representation as leads in games, when there is enough telling different stories, I think thats when everyone sees the kinds of stories they are looking for as you said.

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
Its telling how ingrained this trope is into people half of the responses in this thread are going "its the last of us what do you expect?" as if the only possible way for an lgbt character to experience drama and trauma is to have a love interest die
True, but I think it's equally unfair to brand a game problematic for potentially relying on a trope before it even comes out.

Plus Neil has said countless times that he likes to be deceptive with the marketing. Remember when Sam was definitely the villain in UC4, and there was no way Drake was surviving. Or the story trailer for TLOU1, where it was edited to look like Ellie shoots Joel.

I personally think this is a debate best left for when the game actually comes out.
The article did a good job using TLOU2 to frame the opinion but I dont feel like it really called it out. Just contextualized the issue and offered many other examples too.
This is also true.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
No...just no. Because that's not how it works. Why exactly are you assuming that her path of revenge is brought on by Dina? Why can't it be brought on by something that happens to Joel? Why can't it be something that happens to Tommy?
Just saying.....:
yLN2X4FSDpNTAXneNDEPI4NzMGhWslCOvcuDKH4QHRI.jpg

True, but I think it's equally unfair to brand a game problematic for potentially relying on a trope before it even comes out.

Plus Neil has said countless times that he likes to be deceptive with the marketing. Remember when Sam was definitely the villain in UC4, and there was no way Drake was surviving. Or the story trailer for TLOU1, where it was edited to look like Ellie shoots Joel.

I personally think this is a debate best left for when the game actually comes out.

This is also true.
The Sam teases were when Amy Hennig was in charge of the game's narrative. Not after the structuring. And when that version of the game was in development, Sam WAS a villain.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I agree with the OP.

For all the people saying "it's a post-apocalyptic world, everyone dies regardless of sexuality", consider the way the trailer / Ellie's new boo we're presented to us.

Starts out with a nice dance, obvious flirting, sweet touches and moments, and then a really intimate kiss between two new lovers. Sounds awesome, I'm all about that gay shit.

Then it immediately cuts to violence, gore, a man literally choking on his blood as Ellie shoves a knife into his throat. Then she proceeds to go on an absolute fucking rampage.

The contrast between these two scenes is to make the viewer keenly aware of how nothing is forever, how good things hardly last, how love is just a tool to cause pain. If it was between two straight characters, the message would be exactly the same. The difference, however, is that the LGBT community is already underrepresented, and this specific portrayal is just straight up depressing for queer folks watching it. You can infer that bad shit happens to Ellie's girlfriend by the order of events in the trailer. It's not a reach, and it's not rocket science. To say otherwise is to deny straight up that the trope exists, and that's a negative portrayal of the LGBT community in this specific instance.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wut. Don't we see Bill's lover's hanging corpse?
I wouldn't even call that person a crucial person to the story. We never talk to him, get to meet him or have any confirmation as to whether he was Bill lover or not.

I am talking specifically about Bill, and how he was one of the very few characters we meet who doesn't end up dying

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I totally get where you're coming from, but I do appreciate that they aren't burying Ellie. We can jump to the conclusion that something may happen to people around Ellie, but until then, ND is actually subverting the trope a bit by making Ellie central and surviving in a post apocalyptic world. The "woman in the refrigerator" trope would almost be more apparent in this case. Maybe? I dunno.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Writers seem convinced that queer people can only be in games if there's some drama related to their character that stems from their sexuality or gender identity. That's bullshit, frankly. Cishet characters are written as everyday people while queer characters are treated as subjects of hardship, pain, and prejudice. The Borderlands series actually has a number of queer characters whose sexuality is regarded with positivity (such as Athena and Janey in TPS and Tales), but it's so rare in most games that it just makes me bitter when I see the "bury your gays" trope used time and time again.

The idea that queer characters should be miserable for dramatic purposes is homophobic and transphobic in nature, whether writers realize it or not. Frankly, I'm tired of it, because it's such a common trope that it makes me roll my eyes whenever people say "oh, but this game has lesbians in it! Isn't that great?" I know they're gonna be sad lesbians nine times out of ten, so why should I be happy about the inclusive nature of it?

This goes double for the depiction of queer men in games, who are almost always sad dads whose husbands or boyfriends are dead, because it's a lot harder to market happy gay men to the straight male audience publishers are convinced are the only people worth marketing to. Lesbian couples are simply easier to market due to how pop culture fetishizes them. Is that a bleak perspective? Very much so. Is it also true? Of course it is.

It's even worse if they're a romance option, since that usually follows with your character swooping in and curing their depression with their dick. So not only do you wind up fucking the sadness out of people, but it's treated as a positive thing; they can't move on from the death of their loved ones, so a new person comes in to fill the void and they're suddenly perfectly fine (looking at you, Steve Cortez in Mass Effect 3).