Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, but the October player numbers didn't even match August or May's numbers soooooo

from earlier in the thread, this is just normal for L4D2

unknown.png
It almost sound like more people have access to L4D2, can play it on their hardware, and likely can only play it on Steam too. I never played the game (B4B either), but I somehow own it, likely for free on Steam, I wonder how often it was free, and then B4B costs a lot, is new, and have higher minimum requirements.

Games that aim for mass audiences tend to make sure it can run on a toaster, and have a low barrier of entry (Fortnite, LOL, Farmville, etc.), L4D2 is pretty much in that category at this point, it's just not always free or on sale.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
It's amusing to think back to 2009 when a considerable part of the fanbase regarded Left 4 Dead 2 as a "lazy cash grab".

But today it reigns supreme in the 4v4 asymmetrical PvP/PvE genre and made Left 4 Dead completely obsolete. I do miss the characters though, admittedly.

ju564qsdkwf.png

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
It's amusing to think back to 2009 when a considerable part of the fanbase regarded Left 4 Dead 2 as a "lazy cash grab".

But today it reigns supreme in the 4v4 asymmetrical PvP/PvE genre and made Left 4 Dead completely obsolete. I do miss the characters though, admittedly.

ju564qsdkwf.png
Didn't they roll all the l4d1 content into 2?

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
A 12 year old game is being more played than a several weeks old game is news.
Usually 60$ games are being played a lot more than old 2$ games.

Now let's see in 4 weeks if it is still true.
It has nothing to do with the game being $2 now, as many others have pointed out. L4D2 has retained this stable player base for a long time now. So why wouldn't it be true in 4 weeks or 8 weeks or even a year? B4B has been losing players since launch, not gaining. Unless something radical is happening in the next 4 weeks, like B4B going for $2, I don't see how it will change.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
I downloaded it on Xbox Gamepass but quit playing a bit into the first mission. All the random bullshit and abilities and stuff like that was a total turnoff, and I found myself just wishing I was playing L4D instead

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna say the only added the levels from L4D1, but they may have added the characters as well now that you mention it.

All content, including the L4D1 characters, was added to L4D2 by Valve a year or two after L4D2 shipped. The only thing that was missing was The Last Stand level, which was added as a part of a large community made update for L4D2 last year.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
A 2$, decade old zombie game that half of Steam has is more played than a 60$ recently released similar game that launched on Gamepass day 1, where its known to be super popular.

That's some lazy clickbait article if I ever saw one.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Kotaku's article doesn't provide good research, and B4B likely has more players playing than L4D if you were to factor in the gamepass numbers, but there's no reason to think that the windows store version of the game has better player retention than the steam version - thus, the game is bleeding players quite quickly, which is what a lot of people figured would happen especially when they announced the lack of a versus campaign style mode.
Yeah. And it's probably worth adding that gaming sites have been reporting on this game using this comparison for the last month. First when Back 4 Blood momentarily eclipsed Left 4 Dead in all-time concurrent players, and then as its player count quickly fell below Left 4 Dead 2's current player count.

A 2$, decade old zombie game that half of Steam has is more played than a 60$ recently released similar game that launched on Gamepass day 1, where its known to be super popular.

That's some lazy clickbait article if I ever saw one.
What makes you think the Gamepass version didn't see the same decline in players over the last few weeks as the Steam version?

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
What makes you think the Gamepass version didn't see the same decline in players over the last few weeks as the Steam version?
There probably was that decline, but I believe (not looking at data, so I'm guessing here) that gamepass numbers were high based on Xbox Live activity reports and that maybe the amount of players compared to Steam was superior to begin with.

Owning Back 4 Blood on Steam is just not that attractive when you can try it out on Gamepass PC first.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
The articles that come out of that site are straight trash. It's a shame too because kotaku strives for diversity with its journalists.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
So is this a situation where initially the game is considered not as good as it's predecessor, but then the dev pumps out some solid updates and turn the game around to become way better?

I want to play this but I'm getting so many mixed messages from those that tried it, and articles like these paint a specific picture.

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
So is this a situation where initially the game is considered not as good as it's predecessor, but then the dev pumps out some solid updates and turn the game around to become way better?

I want to play this but I'm getting so many mixed messages from those that tried it, and articles like these paint a specific picture.

I've got 2 days played so far and it's a really fun game. The game really requires a proper team to coordinate and knowledge of the game to make progress. Playing solo or with bots isn't much fun, playing on the harder difficulties and working with a team is where the game really shines. If you can find a group of friends to play with I highly recommend it. If you're planning to play solo I'd skip it.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I've got 2 days played so far and it's a really fun game. The game really requires a proper team to coordinate and knowledge of the game to make progress. Playing solo or with bots isn't much fun, playing on the harder difficulties and working with a team is where the game really shines. If you can find a group of friends to play with I highly recommend it. If you're planning to play solo I'd skip it.

Can I learn the ropes solo before jumping in online? I hate getting put on teams with experiences people my very first day and everyone getting annoyed with me. :P

OnionPowder

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

I'm hoping it's that. It's early and i haven't written the game off yet. It's still fun, it just has some small issues that hold back the campaign from being really good.

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
Can I learn the ropes solo before jumping in online? I hate getting put on teams with experiences people my very first day and everyone getting annoyed with me. :P

You can play solo with bots but you're unable to unlock cards which really help with being able to build a better deck and take on more zombies.

I'd say jump in on recruit difficulty its really easy and I wouldn't worry about people getting annoyed. On recruit, as long as you're shooting zombies, you're doing a good job.