• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously everyone hates change, and so player reactions to any change in any game tend to be negative. But sometimes changes are just objectively poor, and that seems to be the case with the avatar updates for POGO. I mean, the fact that every character now looks like it's straddling an imaginary traffic cone certainly doesn't help.

(...)

The majority of issues people have are focused around what might at first seem like a progressive change: the removal of gender options. You can no longer choose between being male or female, instead having all head, body and hair options put together. Great, right? That's far more inclusive, and only the wahhiest crybaby would struggle to just pick the one that matches their own preference from the list. Oh, except in doing this, Niantic has replaced what was already there with a bunch of androgynous body-type options, a weird middle-ground compromise that offers far less variety. You can now be fat or thin, but that's about it.

Hair options are especially dreadful, with nothing representing just a generic short hair style, and all options beyond "short" contradict the neutral body options with overtly female-styled designs. And while there are many and varied skin-tones to choose from (although if you're white, expect to now be anaemic), it's miserable when it comes to hair options for people of color. It's what you'd expect of a shitty off-brand MMO, not one of the biggest mobile games in the world.
kotaku.com

Pokémon GO's New Character Creator Is Out And Everyone Hates It

The new avatars have weird eyes, androgynous bodies, and a horrible case of bowlegs

View: https://x.com/outofyourvector/status/1780763999681794488

View: https://x.com/MsRicoFierce/status/1780693911960465818

Pokemon gets lots of criticism for any changes but these really look worse.

Tommy Showbiz

Jul 20, 2022
Wow yeesh those are fucking awful

I remember people losing their minds when they updated WoW models with WoD, but these seem to just be objectively worse

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Haven't booted this game up in years but I'm tempted to see what they did to my character.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Niantic gonna Niantic.

Very glad I was able to stop playing this game in April of last year. Just way too many bizarre, bad, or outright greedy decisions with nothing done to improve the actual game experience.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Yup I don't like my Pokemon GO avatar now. The face went from looking like an adult to a child, but the body still has adult proportions. So it looks like a child's head on an adult's body.

Tommy Showbiz

Jul 20, 2022
Like genuinely, what was the goal here?

The fidelity doesn't seem much better, colors seem far more drab and washed out and even the shape silhouettes for the characters are less striking.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I've been seeing the comparison all over social media. No idea wth they were thinking with this.
please-roll-back-this-atrocious-update-v0-m9h8vtu6c8vc1.jpeg

One of the reddit post said "From "anime character" to "average anime fan" look".

LawfulEnder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I did a fight a few minutes ago to increase my Heracross's buddy level and my own avatar popping up on the screen before the battle was an absolute jump scare.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
It really is fucking terrible. I tried to fiddle around with it for like 30 minutes last night trying to make my character look non-fugly before finally giving up and dressing myself in clothes that cover me up from head to toe to hide the awful face and body.

It's just so typically Niantic. Finally give us features that people have been begging for for years and manage to fuck it up in spectacular fashion. And as with every change they make which the entire fanbase seems to hate, they'll almost surely just ignore the feedback and not change anything.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The body proportions are weird enough, but perhaps the bigger crime is that all of the old costumes are so ill-fitting now... because they were built for the classic avatars' proportions.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Yeah, I've been seeing the comparison all over social media. No idea wth they were thinking with this.

One of the reddit post said "From "anime character" to "average anime fan" look".

Right. And this isn't one of those "woke culture ruining my sexy characters" situations where the complaints aren't actually valid, though I know some of the chuds are coming at it from that angle. The idea of making the character creator more inclusive is fantastic but they completely fucked up the execution.

The body proportions look awkward, the faces look worse, the clothing doesn't fit properly.

Tommy Showbiz

Jul 20, 2022

It's very funny that the shading for the boobs is baked into the texture for the shirt, but now it's been awkwardly flattened.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
They need to revert this shit ASAP. Everyone looks so wide and lanky and the faces are godawful.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I don't think a single human on earth likes this. it truly is awful.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The androgynous faces don't help. They're just all weirdly fluffy and fat-looking. I kind of like where mine ended up and I'll probably get used to it over the next couple weeks, but it needs work. The proportions do feel off and I wish there were a way to appear more masculine, I guess.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
As a daily player I absolutely hate this update. My character looks different, all my friends characters look different and the character editor sucks.

I try not to be negative and I understand people work hard but this update is just horrible.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Impressive, they took the most flavourless pokemon game character designs and made them even worse? comical but I'm more surprised that people actually liked their previous avatars enough to be so shook by this
Whole thing always had offbrand vibes.

...might load it up to have a laugh at my extra goobery goober man

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
I dont understand? Why did they change this in the first place? Just combine all the original body parts and let people choose and call it a day.

What happened that they actually had to change all the models/animations/etc?

Ry.

AVALANCHE
Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
This is one of those things that really makes you wonder how it was ever given the green light to go live. Truly baffling.

dragonlife

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely lost it at the avatar with Ho-Oh wings, omg.

Everything is so ill-fitting and boring.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Yo why did they uninstall the melanin? All body shapes and poses aside why does everyone look so much more pale and cold.