• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
lmfao. I don't mean to make light of the FFXIV avatar drama… but folks overreacting about that need to look at this. holy shit these are bad.

BRsomebody

Oct 28, 2017
Doylestown, PA
I really didn't like the avatars to begin with so this isn't huge for me personally. I like being able to make my character my size, if nothing else.
It did definitely make my Santa beard look weird though which is kind of tragic

Boppa

Apr 4, 2020
Niantic have not listened to genuine feedback for a very long time.

They somehow managed to give more avatar creation options but make it absolutely awful

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I dont understand? Why did they change this in the first place? Just combine all the original body parts and let people choose and call it a day.

What happened that they actually had to change all the models/animations/etc?
Looking at the character customization changes, it appears to me that they wanted to make avatars gender/sex neutral, so that any type of avatar can wear any piece of clothing or facial features. There's a lot of costumes, so instead of modifying each of those to fit each body type separately, they took easy path and applied them to a neutral-ish body which they then morphed into six different types and called it a day.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
why don't they just revert the change? better to have good looking gender neutral options later instead of massively fudge up everyone's avatars now. like why did they have to push this out despite the negative beta feedback

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
But I thought abysmal avatar options were a key feature of the Pokémon franchise?

Mostly in the western developed spinoff games. TCGO had something similarly off brand looking. There must be a reason they're making their own thing rather than having something that looks like the videogame characters.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Niantic and Game Freak are like two peas in a pod when it comes to lowering the bar as much as possible

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, I just updated and checked in (not been on in ages) and not really liking it myself.

I'm fully behind more options, especially in an effort for inclusivity but I feel they should've kept the original model/parts/whatever as options. I tried to make my guy look less "perfect anime teen" me and more "real life" me but instead it just looks bad, like adult proportions with a babies face.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
LdpNQ6Ml.png

MarcyPoos

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's awful.. I was really happy with my outfit finally after years and it's completely ruined the look.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
All they had to do was add a couple dozen new hairstyles, some facial hair options, and maybe a few height/weight sliders. Literally don't touch anything else. The creepy ass new faces, the shitty hair options, and the breaking of a bunch of clothing were so unnecessary.

They could've done the classic Niantic bare minimum and it would've been better than what they released here.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, now my avatar looks sheet white like I did several years ago when I was extremely ill and could barely eat or sleep for two months! Thanks!

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
The new characters look pretty ass, but there's also a lot of sexism and Gatering steering the discourse, so ehhhhhh.
Yeah there's a bunch of people trying to spin it as them intentionally trying to make female characters look masculine because of woke or whatever, gotta be careful that doesn't get control of the discourse. It's always scary when that happens because you want to criticise something that's fair to call out but don't want to inadvertantly give them credibility or ammunition

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
i've literally been laughing at this all day lol, the memes are just too perfect. In any case I hope whoever green lit this gets put into a federal prison.

Dylan M.

Feb 11, 2020
Mostly in the western developed spinoff games. TCGO had something similarly off brand looking. There must be a reason they're making their own thing rather than having something that looks like the videogame characters.
It's not just western nor spinoff games though.

Gamefreak has not given players good avatar options in a single game either. Very few black hair styles. No options for body-weight. Forced into extremely narrow parameters for facial proportions. Nothing for many disabled people. Must be no older than 10 years old.

They improve by inches with each release, but it's still pretty bad. There are so many games giving players way way more right now.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Gamefreak has not given players good avatar options in a single game either. Very few black hair styles. No options for body-weight. Forced into extremely narrow parameters for facial proportions. Nothing for many disabled people. Must be no older than 10 years old.

They improve by inches with each release, but it's still pretty bad. There are so many games giving players way way more right now.

I mean the aesthetic looking like its from another universe mostly. Yes the official games are lacking in character creators too.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
It's so awful. I don't know how miis are still literally the only avatar creator thing that i was even able to remotely get to look like me. Instead i just make abominations.

IMG-3248.gif

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona

I don't really care for character customization at all (to the point where I just immediately get annoyed the moment a mandatory character creator tool pops up and I get stuck fiddling because I despise every randomly generated option), but S/V was actively a step backwards in ways that even annoyed me. The costume selection was drastically reduced from Sw/Sh for no apparent reason.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
niantic is garbo news at 11

that makes me wonder. are there any games with adult character creation that lets you be a child?

and not counting things like The Sims.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone looks like they're wearing clothes two or three sizes too small for them.

Dylan M.

Feb 11, 2020
niantic is garbo news at 11

that makes me wonder. are there any games with adult character creation that lets you be a child?

and not counting things like The Sims.
I'm not aware of many games explicit about it, but do implicitly or incidentally through height and facial features (proportions and wrinkles) options. Mii's, Xbox Avatars, Dragon's Dogma, Minecraft, and Roblox come to mind right now. They don't really explicitly label an avatar as "adult" or "child," but by all intents and purposes you can make an avatar that is one or the other. I guess the main thing is whether there is a height slider and what features the face is allowed to have.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I don't even get why changing this was deemed necessary at all. Or how anybody looked at this and thought it would be okay to ship.

My best guess as to why they did this is because it will simplify the creation of future cosmetics and poses because they can deal with more standard skeletons and morph targets. It doesn't explain why everyone is fragile Victorian child ass pale, but it was my first thought when I heard about it. I'm all for removing the binary gender options, I kinda prefer it if I'm being honest, but I'd think they could have done that and kept the original body types and skin tones and it would have been less upfront work, but maybe those old rigs weren't made with the scale of cosmetics they wanted to start pushing in mind so they needed something new. Just kind of spit balling though, no idea. I also think the new body types might not be all that bad? But the clothes all look so ill fitted and frumpy I can't tell if it's the clothes or the bodies.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I literally loaded up Pokémon Go yesterday and they made my damn character WHITE like wtf.

God it's so bad, literally the first thing I did was go back and make her brown like she's meant to be but it just looks so bad now ugh.