• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She didn't put out "anything," she published this story. If she's wrong, she'll be embarrassed and it will effect her credibility. If she's right (and I believe she is), she acted swiftly to inform potential buyers of what they would be supporting by purchasing the DLC.

I know which of those two options I value more.
you're wrong, to publish something like that as fact (she didn't even say there MAY be a slur) before she's completely sure completely unprofessional and not how any journalist (well, one who's credible and respects his/her profession) should act.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Nintendo should just pull the song from the game and replace it with Life Will Change.

Even if the word isn't actually there, I think we can all agree that this should be done anyway.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There isn't much research to do. All you have to do is listen to the song.
Request an official lyric sheet. Approach Nintendo and Atlus for clarification and comments. Post this as a conditional instead of a definitive. Literally anything other than what was done here would be better.

Clearly the people in here quoting a tweet that says "I looked into it" and then assuming the level of research to be extremely shallow are people who can properly discuss the basics of journalism.

Which ironically is to not assume things.
Which this article seems to have done, and yet that's not what's being discussed here, even though it HAS been published by a professional journalist acting in a professional capacity.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I really would like to hear Nintendo's response to this in any case. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if they edit out the section just because it's not clear what's actually being said and sounds too close to what's being reported to leave in without someone at Atlus being explicit to the contrary.
Or they just say, "No, that's not what the lyric is saying" (if they say anything at all) and do nothing about it.

razakin

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I really would like to hear Nintendo's response to this in any case. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if they edit out the section just because it's not clear what's actually being said and sounds too close to what's being reported to leave in without someone at Atlus being explicit to the contrary.
Wouldn't Sony's response be also good to hear as the track plays with the spoken version on the actual game too?

Request an official lyric sheet. Approach Nintendo and Atlus for clarification and comments. Post this as a conditional instead of a definitive. Literally anything other than what was done here would be better.
I doubt the official lyric sheets do have the spoken part on it. At least the soundtrack didn't include them on the booklet with the lyrics.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Googled her, looks like she's a part of Kotaku UK, which I personally never visit. The US Kotaku is Jason's reports + some nonsense like "I accidentally bought Super Mario Party instead of Smash".

Cecilia is part of Kotaku US, her exposé of Riot Games last year won her the Writer's Guild of America Award: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...anastasio-wins-writers-guild-of-america-award

Do your fucking research, takes literally one second

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus effing Christ can we go two days without a new controversy?

I haven't played P5. Does the song contains the word or not?

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
no need to be condescending, this is basic stuff everyone knows, no need to be "professional" to know this shit.

Which this article seems to have done, and yet that's not what's being discussed here, even though it HAS been published by a professional journalist acting in a professional capacity.

See, there you go again with your assumptions. You have nothing that proves your statement yet you sit there and speak about the basics of journalism like you have authority to do so.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Withering flowers forget
What they wept for, day after day-aay-aay-ah
Without a class must blossom,
In the string of cheese, they still pickle peppers

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See, there you go again with your assumptions. You have nothing that proves your statement yet you sit there and speak about the basics of journalism like you have authority to do so.
What assumption is there in that post? "This article seems to have no research?" Do you notice the conditional? Do you notice the lack of a conditional in the published piece?

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Let'ts take this article to an average life event. You have a coworker that happens to be ESL. That coworker tells you something with some noise/music on the background and you think that it was a slur.
What Kotaku essentialy did was telling everyone else that the coworker used a slur instead of asking the coworker what he/she meant.
This is all around irresponsible and goes beyond journalism.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't Sony's response be also good to hear as the track plays with the spoken version on the actual game too?
Pinning Nintendo to the wall over an in-all-likelihood misheard lyric in a song from a third party game on a Sony platform originally released years ago is kind of bizarre.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
If it's true, good on them for finding it, but maybe confirm it beforehand. If it's not true, c'mon people....

Even if it ends up being true (which I legitimately find hard to imagine), publishing this without additional confirmation was still wrong. We should have higher expectations than this.

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England

She's literally said that the article was published before they got any details from Nintendo/Atlus. What are you trying to even defend here?

I'm not a journalist but it doesn't take a journalist to know that this is a shitty article.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Normal news doesn't pay the bills for most sites these days, got to have some controversy and if none is there to be had,find some.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo should just pull the song from the game and replace it with Life Will Change.

Even if the word isn't actually there, I think we can all agree that this should be done anyway.

It would hardly be a first for Smash, but this would make me really sad.

The version of Life Will Change with the lyrics included should not be heard until near the end of Persona 5's story. It's so much better that way.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How else would you quantify your statement? That felt like the pretty clear implication to me.

You're seeing what you want to see, mate. Cecilia's article about Riot Games literally won the Writer's Guild of America Award last year. To say "Jason is the only good thing about Kotaku" is deliberately ignoring that piece, which was discussed many, many times on Era. I don't believe someone could post on Era and read games website and not have come across that article. It was a brilliant piece of investigative journalism.

Funny how Era is so woke most of the time, but they conveniently forget a brilliant piece of journalism written by a women when it suits their bizarre vendetta against Kotaku.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean it does sound like that when I listen to it but part of me wonders if it's just me expecting it to say that now that you put it in my mind.

It's definitely very hard to hear and spoken in a heavy accent. Someone needs to ask the lady who was singing it or find the actual transcript of the lyrics she sang for the song.

It seems out of place with the rest of the lyrics which is why I think we might be misunderstanding it. Seems like a random thing to just stick into the song.

razakin

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Pinning Nintendo to the wall over an in-all-likelihood misheard lyric in a song from a third party game on a Sony platform originally released years ago is kind of bizarre.
True, and it wouldn't be the first misheard/mispronounced lyrics in a japanese product in english. I mean, someone just needs to listen Black Lagoon's opening song Red Fraction and then read the lyrics.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, but especially with the language barrier you probably wouldn't be contacting the singer directly. Usually you'd go through their press agent if they have one or in a case like this you might go through people at Atlus since they're the ones overseeing the larger production.

I agree that this article went to press too early. I don't think anyone's disagreeing except for maybe the ed-in-chief at Kotaku UK, but I haven't bothered to check that person's twitter account either way and they're probably the least important or interesting part of this story.
If there is one media outlet who would have no trouble contacting Japanese companies, it's Kotaku. Besides, singers show up in the credits, no?

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
The thing that gets me is the title of the article definitively states that the slur is in the song. Then you discover that writer *thinks* she hears it, despite the word making zero sense in context and the song being sung by a non-native speaker.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
I have worked in news for over a decade (on the radio side, not in games journalism), and "publish first, you can always retract it later," is one of the most wrong things I have heard. Retractions should only be used as a necesity in case something has went wrong in the process (it happens, journalists are human). They should never be used as a crutch to justify putting out anything thing you please as quick as possible with the rationale that you can just take it back later.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

That would've been better, but I don't really blame anyone for not wanting to give Atlus of all companies the benefit of the doubt when it comes to being respectful to minorities.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
To my trained ear, with four years of experience as a high school English teacher at a Japanese school listening to students try to speak English and making lots of mistakes, it sure sounds like they're trying to say "restart it" and can't quite hit the "st" sound on restart, which is a difficult sound for Japanese speakers of English.

edit/ "Pick up the pieces" makes logical sense when paired with "restart it" too.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
You're seeing what you want to see, mate. Cecilia's article about Riot Games literally won the Writer's Guild of America Award last year. To say "Jason is the only good thing about Kotaku" is deliberately ignoring that piece, which was discussed many, many times on Era. I don't believe someone could post on Era and read games website and not have come across that article. It was a brilliant piece of investigative journalism.

Funny how Era is so woke most of the time, but they conveniently forget a brilliant piece of journalism written by a women when it suits their bizarre vendetta against Kotaku.

Kotaku has good articles sometimes. Doesn't mean people can't, in general, dislike the site.

I don't think there's any real gaming news website I would say I really enjoy reading consistently. It's pretty gutter level stuff outside of a few really good journalists here and there.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Celica's piece was amazing. That's what's weird to me, we have a site with that kind of a standard, her and Schrier, and then they do... this.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Or they just say, "No, that's not what the lyric is saying" (if they say anything at all) and do nothing about it.

I think I already pointed to Mario 64 DS (which a different poster alluded to prior) as precedent for this. It strikes me as something more in line with the company and how they present their image.

Maybe? I think Atlus published the OST release and I thought Atlus published the game as well. If you're asking about whether Sony knows anything about the song when they OK'd the game for their platforms, I will say saw other posters in here claiming that the game's version of the song (i.e., in P5) didn't even include the line being discussed in the article (i.e., that the OST release is a longer cut of the song than what's in game). Without a copy of the game I can't make a claim on that, especially since there's no way to tell conclusively if a given soundtrack dump being put on, like, youtube is taken from the OST or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.