• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
kotaku

792b4c9f160d1ec771b69afe1558cc08.jpg

'Tis the season to promote indie games with AI-generated junk, apparently. A Microsoft Twitter account recently posted low-effort, energy-intensive art promoting indie games on Xbox before later deleting it after getting roundly mocked by fans and developers alike.

"Walking in a indie wonderlaaand," the ID@Xbox account tweeted on December 27. "What were your favorite indie games of the year?" The post was accompanied by an AI-generated image of children sledding down a hill with a giant green Xbox logo on it.

It looked harmless at first, but a second or third glance immediately revealed telltale AI anomalies like children maneuvering their sleds with cranks attached to nothing and fishing in the snow for presents with weird black tendrils. A man playing a gaming handheld in the center top of the image has had his top lip replaced by teeth. A child jumping through the snow appears to have a mustache. It was a really bad look considering ID@Xbox is supposed to be the human-facing team within the megacorporation championing individual creators and small independent teams.

"Bro not Xbox using ayy-eye to promote indie devs," wrote pixel artist TAHK0. "Nothing says 'we don't care about indie developers' like using AI," wrote artist NecroKuma3. " If you can't hire an artist to do advertising, I highly doubt you'll do it with independent developers." The company quietly deleted the post overnight without acknowledging the backlash. Microsoft did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

View: https://twitter.com/matto_bii/status/1740122582802956620?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1740122582802956620%7Ctwgr%5E4c3bd2875ae82a706b5e6dbbaa09caf26195741b%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fkotaku.com%2Fembed%2Finset%2Fiframe%3Fid%3Dtwitter-1740122582802956620autosize%3D1

Lock if old.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Eventually we're going to get to a point where AI is not only generating these posts, but also deciding to take them down and generating the apology that follows. Then the real fun begins.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
releasing an image where the only clearly visible face is clearly janky as hell is pretty hilarious

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't microsoft dedicate billions in open AI? Of course they're going to use it. Not that it's right, mind you.

Edit: They're clearly not going to stop here either. I remember one of their execs talking up the benefits of AI for games development.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You'd think they'd see how shitty the AI Art is and say surely we could just pay one of the thousands and thousands of artists we employ to promote our initiative in a way that doesn't look terrible.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Didn't microsoft dedicate billions in open AI? Of course they're going to use it. Not that it's right, mind you.

Edit: They're clearly not going to stop here either. I remember one of their execs talking up the benefits of AI for games development.
There are lots of benefits to leveraging AI in game development. Has been for years.

This image generation stuff though? Trash

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Of the infinite amount of games they could have used for this as an image, some social media account manager decided to do this stupid thing. Happy holidays. 🙃

Oct 26, 2017
I literally saw an ad tweet by MS like an hour ago promoting "what can AI do to improve your business" or something. MS are obsessed with AI, clearly. :/

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Microsoft have spent billions on AI, of course they are doing it. Everyone will eventually, they are just at the forefront. It's sucks but it is inevitable at this point.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
After they pulled that AI garbo Assasin's Creed tweet, I knew it opened the floodgates for this garbino.

This AI future gonna fucking suck so much, I hate for the day when the artifacts in AI get tougher to track.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is going in big on AI, like today they promoted their number of AI-generated image and Copilot interactions. I linked to their blog post, but this data also appeared as a tab they popped up in Edge unprompted.

• This year, Edge and Bing users engaged in more than 1.9 billion Copilot chats. That's equal to the total number of websites that existed on the internet last year!
  • And users created over 1.8 billion AI-generated images, which is 1800x more than the entire combined collection of the Louvre and Metropolitan Museum!

blogs.windows.com

Microsoft Edge: Looking back at an unforgettable 2023

As 2023 comes to a close, we wanted to take a moment and reflect on what a remarkable period it has been. We've had a year of innovation, creativity, growth, and ushering in the era of AI – all with the goal of helping you achieve more than you eve

Feb 16, 2022
That looks really awful. I can't believe some project lead or something that signs off on the image used would look at that and say "That's good enough". Maybe if they're being spiteful and trying to show some higher ups pushing for AI use that it would look bad, I guess.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck off MS. You make enough money to pay a damn artist to come up with something that at least makes sense when you look at it. Keeping pushing this shit and watch me get pushed away.

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
its kinda funny, ai people and companies keep insisting that people will get used to this new ai art world but i feel people are getting angrier and angrier as time passes

Aug 9, 2021
The people that approve decisions like this are bad people.

Bing's AI says it can't be used for commercial purposes.

and Microsoft was sued two days ago by the new york times for using AI stuff without permission!

the sociopaths that run this stuff deserve to be fired.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I understand the frustration here. It's disappointing when a platform like ID@Xbox, which supposedly champions individual creators and independent teams, opts for AI-generated art instead of showcasing the incredible work of those very creators they claim to support. It feels like a missed opportunity to celebrate and highlight the talent within the indie gaming community.

The decision to use AI-generated art, especially when it's visibly flawed and disconnected from the spirit of indie games, can come off as tone-deaf. It's understandable that fans and developers alike would feel let down by such an approach.

Ultimately, it would be wonderful to see these platforms prioritize and uplift the authentic work of indie creators, giving them the recognition they truly deserve. The authenticity and uniqueness of indie games are their selling points, and it's a shame when promotional efforts miss the mark by resorting to AI-generated content.

Let's hope for more thoughtful and genuine promotion that truly honors the creativity and effort of indie game developers in the future.

This reply was written by ChatGPT.

Aug 23, 2018
In all seriousness, AI isn't going anywhere, and will become more prevalent in game development in the next couple of decades in various forms. This right here though was a social media tweet about nothing. I wonder how extreme reactions will be 5 years from now, or I wonder if people will begin to adapt

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that this was done to promote *indie devs* of all things is just a malicious level of irony. They could've thrown some clipart together jfc.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
That looks really awful. I can't believe some project lead or something that signs off on the image used would look at that and say "That's good enough". Maybe if they're being spiteful and trying to show some higher ups pushing for AI use that it would look bad, I guess.

That's one of the things that frustrates me the most. Has this tech really hypnotized marketers that much that they don't even stop and look at the horrid-looking garbage they're sending out? I'm going to join you in hoping this was someone trying to prove a point to higher-ups.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I mean at this point Microsoft is AI. It's what will likely propel them past Apple. Doubt they are going to back away.

But it is a bad look to promote indie games.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Pretty sure it was confirmed that the Gollum game apology was AI generated.
The AI getting the name of the game incorrect ("The Lord of Ring: Gollum") was a slight tell.

Then someone ran it through an AI detector and it came back like a 99% match for ChatGPT lol. Nacon's contempt for its audience is absolutely stunning.

edit: I can't believe that tweet is still up. They just really don't care whatsoever...

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Had a big discussion over Christmas wherein a guy who I was meeting for the first time argued that AI destroying jobs was okay and we don't have to care about it while basically everyone else at the table was at some level of agreement that the AI, and emerging technologies in general, cause a lot of damage specifically because they are utilized by immoral business interests which are specifically seeking the subvert any responsibilities they have to benefit others, including their own employees.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Iunno, there's nothing surprising about Microsoft posting an AI image as it's a huge pillar of their company atm. I don't like it but it's unsurprising.
AI generated forum posts discussing
www.resetera.com

I trained an AI on thousands of ResetEra thread *conversations* and it created hot gaming shitposts

You may remember a few months ago I trained an AI to create ResetEra threads titles using my textgenrnn framework. In February, OpenAI released their GPT-2 framework which generates uncannily good outputs. They open sourced a smaller model, and I am currently working on a wrapper to make it easy...

simpsons-its-been-done.png

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
It's pretty well-documented that Microsoft are all-in on leveraging AI across all sorts of things they sell and services they offer.

Regarding this specifically, I suspect it was just a social media person getting an image to post instead of using pre-existing artwork.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
This feels like making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Microsoft is going in big on AI, like today they promoted their number of AI-generated image and Copilot interactions. I linked to their blog post, but this data also appeared as a tab they popped up in Edge unprompted.

blogs.windows.com

Microsoft Edge: Looking back at an unforgettable 2023

As 2023 comes to a close, we wanted to take a moment and reflect on what a remarkable period it has been. We've had a year of innovation, creativity, growth, and ushering in the era of AI – all with the goal of helping you achieve more than you eve
This. An image generated by a social media worker with Bing Chat over the holidays is hardly worth an outrage over stuff like this happening at a global scale.
The people that approve decisions like this are bad people.

Bing's AI says it can't be used for commercial purposes.

and Microsoft was sued two days ago by the new york times for using AI stuff without permission!

the sociopaths that run this stuff deserve to be fired.
Chill out.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
This feels like making a mountain out of a mole hill.

This. An image generated by a social media worker with Bing Chat over the holidays is hardly worth an outrage over stuff like this happening at a global scale.

Chill out.

It's embarrassing and insulting. No.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
In all seriousness, AI isn't going anywhere, and will become more prevalent in game development in the next couple of decades in various forms. This right here though was a social media tweet about nothing. I wonder how extreme reactions will be 5 years from now, or I wonder if people will begin to adapt

Like everything else I fear it will just become accepted for the most part. I hope I'm wrong but thats what tends to happen with a lot of anti worker technology.

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
I literally saw an ad tweet by MS like an hour ago promoting "what can AI do to improve your business" or something. MS are obsessed with AI, clearly. :/

They literally are planning to integrate AI tech into Office and the implementation is legitimately cool. Of course, they're all about it. For better and for worse unfortunately.