EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Seem to be in line with what we expected. Some departments were able to wrap up their work and had reasonable hours. Departments whose type of work didn't have that luxury felt the full weight of AAA dev crunch. I don't know anyone working on Red Dead 2, but the stories from GTA5 and GTA Online sounded soul crushing. Not surprised little has changed.

This has to be one of the most disgusting policies I have seen in a long time.
Unfortunately, it's not an uncommon policy.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
How on earth did you get that impression? Many moves change aspect ratios per scene / imax. You think R* directors have no idea what they are doing? Lmao arm chair develops now we have arm chair game directors.

That to me seems like a massive change in the last parts of development and something that should have been figured out a long time ago. Adding black bars to a game as massive as this one at such a juncture seems to imply some poor planning and design.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One common fear at Rockstar is that if you leave during a game's production, your name won't be in the credits, no matter how much work you put in. Several former Rockstar employees lamented this fact, and Rockstar confirmed it when I asked. "That has been a consistent policy because we have always felt that we want the team to get to the finish line," said Jennifer Kolbe. "And so a very long time ago, we decided that if you didn't actually finish the game, then you wouldn't be in the credits."

What the actual fuck is this

"There'd be Saturdays that I'd go there with nothing to do," said one. "I'd sit in the office for six to eight hours just in case Sam or Dan was there, so they could see me. It was always dictated to me about my bonus. It was never about working, it was always about, you want that good bonus so you need Dan and Sam to see you sitting there."

Said another: "The stories you've heard about people coming in to be visible for the Housers (more frequently Dan than Sam) are 100% true. Earlier this week, I had a coworker tell me completely unprompted that he was often asked to come in on weekends so Dan could see people in the office. I myself have been told at least once to walk a lap around the floor on an otherwise slow Saturday so that he could see there were people around."

Calling the Housers control-freaks seems generous to control-freaks.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
The tale of Red Dead Redemption 2's development is complicated and sometimes contradictory. For some people at Rockstar, it was a satisfying project, an ambitious game that took reasonable hours and far less crunch than the company's previous games. Many current employees say they're happy to work at Rockstar and love being able to help make some of the best games in the world. Others described Red Dead 2 as a difficult experience, one that cost them friendships, family time, and mental health. Nobody interviewed said they had worked 100-hour weeks—that would equate to seven 14-hour days—but many said their average weekly hours came close to 55 or 60, which would make for six 10-hour days. Most current and former Rockstar employees said they had been asked or felt compelled to work nights and weekends. Some were on hourly contracts and got paid for overtime, but many were salaried and did not receive any compensation for their extra hours. Those who are still at the company hope that their 2018 bonuses—expected to be significant if Red Dead 2 does well—will help make up for that.

Many of the most harrowing stories shared by current and former employees—anecdotes of damaged relationships, mental breakdowns, and heavy drinking at work—were impossible to print without risking that the individuals involved might be identified. Given Rockstar's complex non-disclosure agreements and possible repercussions for violating them, we erred on the side of being as cautious as possible in this piece, which meant leaving out some of the roughest details we'd heard.
This is something that doesn't surprise me.

Crunch has improved over the years in the industry, but it definitely hasn't done so equally, so there are studios and departments that get shafted to improve things elsewhere.

Even excluding internal staff, you can, for example, make huge demands on outsourcing partners in short timeframes to work your artists less.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
"What followed was one of the strangest interview experiences I've ever had. Rockstar's head of PR and communications, Simon Ramsey, sat with me at a table in a fourth-floor conference room. Ramsey said we'd be video-chatting with staff from all across the world, and after some brief technical issues, we were faced with two boxes on a screen. In one box, on the left, two employees sat on a couch at Rockstar New England. In another box, on the right, three Rockstar North employees also sat on a couch. They all wore casual clothes, some adorned with Red Dead Redemption logos and slogans. We exchanged quick introductions, and then I was given free rein to interview them about their work-life balances and crunch experiences. All five of them. At once."

"After one of these calls, Ramsey turned to me and asked what I thought so far. I told him that I believed these stories but was skeptical that anyone could be transparent under interview circumstances like this. He seemed surprised."

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it depends on the field. Most people I know wither work in healthcare, finance, or advertisement and I would say 90% of them have 55+ hour weeks. I work in a hospital and 60+ hour weeks are the norm. I used to work 80 to sometimes 100 hours when I was in residency. It is not ideal but I get paid for overtime and it is what it is.
I think it absolutely depends on the field. I was raising an eyebrow at the idea that 55-60 hours average is not outside the norm for most companies. It sounded anecdotal or guessing rather than a fact based on actual data.

Also, even if 55-60 hours per week is normal, that doesn't mean it's healthy, required to get the work done, fair to employees, etc. Defending the status quo because it's what's currently normal stands directly in opposition to working conditions improving.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
People who try to say 50-60 hours a week is 'normal' want to sort their priorities out. Doing that every so often - sure everyone has to. But for weeks on end for years? That is messed up, unhealthy and socially destructive. Doesn't matter how much you earn. It isn't worth it.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ah now they aren't just clueless but also idiots. Nice. You've really sold that argument that the highest rated dev team and best selling developer is led by a bunch of "clueless idiots".

Oh no, not the best selling developer in the world! Is something like Transformers 4 above reproach because it grossed a billion dollars too?

It's dumb, my friend, because movies come in all sorts of aspect ratios. The cinematic quality is not decided by a proportion, but by the composition, the staging, the lighting, and so forth. This smells of a decision from somebody that really does not know or care much about cinema. Of somebody that one day watched a Leone movie and said, "Hey let's make our game all widey and stretchy like that (despite the fact that our cut-scenes had been designed and made with an entirely different aspect ratio all this time)." It's just nonsense. It's no different than other devs thinking they're gonna make their game look cinematic by bathing it in a grain filter and chromatic aberration. They added necessary workload unto the developers on what seems like a whim.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The article is actually worse than I thought, the toxic stuff almost pushes the crunch numbers to teh side

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
The description given doesn't seem like its really compliant with UK law, though perhaps they've got some nominally "voluntary" opt outs to the 48 hour maximum (averaged over 17 weeks)

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
It's literally as bad as many of us assumed and in some cases worse. That PR tweets that they had last week seemed too good to be true for the whole company.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has worked in multiple companies on the software side, there's pretty much always crunch - especially as certain timelines come to a close. This doesn't seem strange. I mean, sure, it's never ideal, but this doesn't seem different than another industry?

I mean, things like not being listed in the credits may not apply to someone not in games, but I mean, I doubt any of us in other industries have been in a credits roll for a project we've been on. I'm not condoning "forcing" people to work ridiculous hours for months on end, but let's not pretend that Rockstar is some sort of a sweatshop compared to any other software company.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
"What followed was one of the strangest interview experiences I've ever had. Rockstar's head of PR and communications, Simon Ramsey, sat with me at a table in a fourth-floor conference room. Ramsey said we'd be video-chatting with staff from all across the world, and after some brief technical issues, we were faced with two boxes on a screen. In one box, on the left, two employees sat on a couch at Rockstar New England. In another box, on the right, three Rockstar North employees also sat on a couch. They all wore casual clothes, some adorned with Red Dead Redemption logos and slogans. We exchanged quick introductions, and then I was given free rein to interview them about their work-life balances and crunch experiences. All five of them. At once."

"After one of these calls, Ramsey turned to me and asked what I thought so far. I told him that I believed these stories but was skeptical that anyone could be transparent under interview circumstances like this. He seemed surprised."
That is some cult "I am not being held against my will " bullshit

Savinowned

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
Here's my two cents from reading this article:

1. Rockstar's policies & culture have been really bad.
2. They've gotten better lately but they still have a long way to go.
3. We need unions.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Aaaannnddd heeeerrrreeeee coooommmmeeee the angry Red Dead Redemption twwooooooo defendeerrrsss

xdKQOLg.png

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only halfway through the piece (it's incredibly long. Amazing work by schreier again) but all of this brings forth a dilemma to me. Do you not buy the game to protest these conditions? It sounds like an easy yes but the article states that a lot of the salaried employees are hoping for bonuses that are hinged on the game selling well because they don't get compensated for overtime work.

This whole thing is such a clusterfuck result of no unions and no regulations by governments.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow wow wow wow

Just got to the Rockstar Lincoln section in the article. This branch reads like a total shitshow.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
50-60 hours is not out of the ordinary, and no where close to the 100 hours previously reported.

it's helpful to read an article first if you want to discuss it

"Others said they still had it rough, however. Three people who worked at Rockstar San Diego between 2011 and 2016 recall a period where they were told that overtime wasn't optional. "It was mandatory 80 hours for basically the whole studio," said one person who was there. "If you don't have any work to do on Red Dead 2, just test GTA V for another eight hours." Said a second: "Maybe they didn't tell anyone 100 hours, but they definitely told us 80. Concept artists were sitting there being glorified QA.""

"A second Rockstar NYC developer also said they reached out because of Houser's comments. "While nobody I know worked 100 hour weeks, many of us worked 60-80 hour weeks for the past one or two years," they said. "To hear one of the heads of the company effectively go on record as saying none of that ever happened has been a huge blow to morale at a time when we should be celebrating.""

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Very good reporting and a good read.

I'm really not sure what the solution is. It's clear that making these huge games with AAA production values that many of us love and have as the main reason we keep gaming take huge teams to make even with terrible amounts of crunch. Thus the super high budgets need to be even higher so teams can be even bigger to reduce crunch through having enough staff to get it done in a reasonable time frame with reasonable workloads.

But so many gamers bitch about $60 game prices (especially games that stay full price for a long time), or complain even about good DLC (nice expansions released well after launch) that it's near impossible for them to raise prices to maintain profit margins and keep shareholders happy while expanding the size of the team enough to eliminate crunch.

Something has to give there if the problem is going to go away. Really, some big time release like this just needs to come out at $100 as the only option (and include any expansions in that price) and succeed and set a standard for huge budget games costing more. There's no justification for a huge budget game with top notch production values costing the same $60 as something like Octopath Traveler and other titles with much smaller budgets and development teams.

But even then, you'll always have the issue of workaholics who love their jobs (or just have strong work ethics and want to get ahead faster by going the extra mile) working a ton more and risking setting the standard of that being what's expected. It's not really realistic to require companies to force people out of the office after 8 hours, and even if you did those types would probably just have rigs at home and work more there.

It's a complex issue and hard to solve as I don't want to shame those people as a strong work ethic is one of the things I pride myself on and most value in others. People just wanting to laze around and do the bare minimum to get buy have little use to me (I'm not a people person in general, so more of a what can you do for me type). But at the same time, no one should feel forced to work more than the standard 40 hour week--much less if any overtime isn't paid. So it's not something I see getting solved anytime soon, if ever. Hopefully we just see improvements like seem to have happened at Rockstar over the years. There's still some bothersome stuff about the development of RDR2 in that article for sure, but it still seems like a big improvement from the development of the first game and some of the other titles mentioned.

100h is insane, 50-60h is still fucking bad

50-60 has never been a big deal to me personally. I did that regularly for years when working toward tenure and I was/am salaried so I didn't get any overtime pay. Tangible benefits were just being more productive to have a safe tenure case, and occasionally some extra money (summer pay from landing grants, consulting pay for some outside work etc.).

I do it much less often post tenure, but definitely would do it regularly if I was in a position to get overtime pay. We don't have kids, and my wife works longer hours (also a salaried position, she's just a workaholic type and loves her job) so I have a ton of free time and the extra money would be nice.

That said, as above I don't support people feeling pressured that working 50-60 hours (much less more) is the expectation. I just have no qualms with it being an option for people who want to do it out of love for the work or ambition to try to go the extra mile and get promotions faster etc. As long as people doing excellent work on 40 hour weeks are still getting noticed and promote, it's all good to me. It's just the challenge of how to not have the workaholics move from being the exceptions to the norm who are going way above and beyond to setting the standard for what is expected at that company.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Now, I have heard from some friends that are still working there that some improvements have been made, but Dan's statement about crunch being optional is ridiculous. It is optional if you want to lose your job or never move forward in your career."

Blindingly obvious. Any one who has worked a month in any office could have told you that but we still had clueless morons in the other thread parroting the "Its optional" nonsense.

This whole article is nauseating to read. I dont know what is worse, the fact that so many experiences there tell you how horribly they were exploited with the promises of bonus or permanent job (instead of a contract based position) being dangled above their heads or the ones that have convinced themselves that they loved working 80 hours a week.

I mean, tell me how this is not Stockholm syndrome -

"Ultimately, the job is a good job," said one former tester. "And Rockstar is a good company to work for. When it's not crunch, it's not a bad place at all. The money's alright, there's a bonus at the end of the year. It's just that crunch practically kills people."

Absolutely disgusting.

It's difficult to gauge whether someone's being completely candid about their work experiences when they're on a video chat with a group of their co-workers, a journalist, and the company's head of PR. Still, the 12 employees who spoke to me on these calls offered perspectives that are worth sharing, much like those who publicly tweeted about their experiences.

Literal fucking hostages LMAO.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
50-60 hours is not out of the ordinary, and no where close to the 100 hours previously reported.
Others said they still had it rough, however. Three people who worked at Rockstar San Diego between 2011 and 2016 recall a period where they were told that overtime wasn't optional. "It was mandatory 80 hours for basically the whole studio," said one person who was there. "If you don't have any work to do on Red Dead 2, just test GTA V for another eight hours." Said a second: "Maybe they didn't tell anyone 100 hours, but they definitely told us 80. Concept artists were sitting there being glorified QA."

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
That's made me settle on getting RDR2 used at most. Enjoyment of gaming shouldn't just be about those playing the game but also those making it too.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
The most important paragraph:
Many of the most harrowing stories shared by current and former employees—anecdotes of damaged relationships, mental breakdowns, and heavy drinking at work—were impossible to print without risking that the individuals involved might be identified. Given Rockstar's complex non-disclosure agreements and possible repercussions for violating them, we erred on the side of being as cautious as possible in this piece, which meant leaving out some of the roughest details we'd heard.

Whatever we know now, we don't know the worst of it.

The bottom of the well is deeper than our reach.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
"There'd be Saturdays that I'd go there with nothing to do," said one. "I'd sit in the office for six to eight hours just in case Sam or Dan was there, so they could see me. It was always dictated to me about my bonus. It was never about working, it was always about, you want that good bonus so you need Dan and Sam to see you sitting there."

Said another: "The stories you've heard about people coming in to be visible for the Housers (more frequently Dan than Sam) are 100% true. Earlier this week, I had a coworker tell me completely unprompted that he was often asked to come in on weekends so Dan could see people in the office. I myself have been told at least once to walk a lap around the floor on an otherwise slow Saturday so that he could see there were people around."
This is just insane. People coming in on weekends just to look good for the boss.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Yea nothing wrong with working 10 hours 6 days a week for an entire year, nothing at all.

It IS out of the ordinary to do 60hours weeks for YEARS. It'd be illegal if it was in a proper country with real worker protection.

How can people fucking defend this

I missed the part where it says it's not just for a few weeks to get the game done, but more like a company policy to work long hours for extended periods of time.

In that case yeah, it's not normal at all.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Said another: "The stories you've heard about people coming in to be visible for the Housers (more frequently Dan than Sam) are 100% true. Earlier this week, I had a coworker tell me completely unprompted that he was often asked to come in on weekends so Dan could see people in the office. I myself have been told at least once to walk a lap around the floor on an otherwise slow Saturday so that he could see there were people around.
giphy.gif

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
I'm buying the game, if only because now I know that salaried employees' bonus money is tied to it, but holy shit the Houser brothers are garbage and unions need to happen.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Hell of a read, some damn fine reporting from Schreier as per usual.

The section that stood out in particular was people sticking it out at Rockstar so they could get a GTA or RDR to their name so then they could pretty swiftly get the fuck out. That and upper management seem like a all round garbage fire.

SystemBug

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only halfway through the piece (it's incredibly long. Amazing work by schreier again) but all of this brings forth a dilemma to me. Do you not buy the game to protest these conditions? It sounds like an easy yes but the article states that a lot of the salaried employees are hoping for bonuses that are hinged on the game selling well because they don't get compensated for overtime work.

This whole thing is such a clusterfuck result of no unions and no regulations by governments.
You bring up a good point, but honestly. The game will do well. The people who care enough to boycott won't make a dent. But what we can do as make noise. Make it a conversation that persists after the game has launched. Rocktstar will definitely be evaluating how they deal with their work culture going forwards because of this.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Although Rockstar explicitly told employees not to "sugarcoat" any of their stories, outside observers were skeptical that anyone would publicly trash their current employer. Indeed, when I spoke to some of those who tweeted, some who responded said they had been honest but may have left out some parts of their stories—and that they were hoping that this month's events might lead to change for those Rockstar staff in departments that had it rougher.
Surprise.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
I totally believe the assertion that the worst stories are unprintable because they'd allow people to be targeted for legal repercussions. Especially if you are still there and are hoping to see that bonus come in so your family will see some small benefit from your suffering. Maybe Schreier can write a tell all book in a couple decades when Sam and Dan have passed on.

The website with the huge list of names is pretty sad. Those all could have fit in the credits, since they are already bloated from needing multiple studios to ship the title.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ. This is living hell.
OPTIONAL crunch, you see.

Damn, and the black bars stuff... I have seen those type of stuff with people ive worked on this industry, but usually with people that were at the top and shouldn't. I thought Rockstar was better than that. The black bars stuff is something you try in the first cinematics tests, not when every cutscene is already made. Like anyone with a head would undertand is not only adding 2 black bars, is actually chaning cameras and reshooting everything again with those black bars so everything works visually without cuts.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
The more I read into these companies, the more they sound like cults run by narcissistic fuckstains who prey on - and are enabled by - the insecure and the idealistic.