Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
  • UPDATE 2 : There will be a stream on July 29 about the game with the developpers and many info will be shared! The release date will probably be in there :

• UPDATE : So apparently the game will come out to console according to the last kickstarter update :
    Also, adding reward costume keys will only work on the PC version. We unfortunately don't have a way to add this feature to consoles...
    This would be great on switch, and i wouldn't be surprised if they would port the first one after finishing la-mulana 2 developpment! Would be crazy for them to miss this opportunity!

4 years after the kickstarter campaign was successfully financed, with 5200 backer for 266'000 $, the game has finally a release window! This will release in summer 2018 on Steam and Playism, with more info coming in the next months!

Takumi Naramura, the leader of the small 3-dev team Nigoro, was recently interviewed by famitsu and reveleased the release to them!

main_en.png

Here's the teaser :

about_la-mulana_2_s.png

In LA-MULANA 2, you take on the role of Lumisa Kosugi - daughter of the previous title's hero - as she explores the ancient ruins of La-Mulana, said to be the cradle of human civilization. Desperate to find the cause of the numerous recent appearances of monsters from the ruins, Lumisa heads to the "other" La-Mulana: the ruins known as Eg-Lana

TsAMLw2.png

• Become an adventurer and explore sprawling ancient ruins
  • Gather hints to solve the various mysteries of your adventure
  • Dive into the action as you fight off tough enemies seeking to stop your progress
  • A detailed and beautifully dot-rendered world
  • Seven main weapons and over ten sub-weapons
  • Over 60 items of various types to help you explore the ruins
  • Over 20 apps to install on your trusty adventurer's tablet, the "Mobile Super X 3"
  • Includes reference book with over 200 monsters and other characters in the game

For those who are curious, the first La-Mulana was released in 2005 for free as an homage to the MSX games! It was then remade for Wiiware, PC, and PSvita! This is a Metroidvania, but not one you see everywhere! This one has real puzzles, hard ones, that will make you feel so proud when you finally beat it (and also make you bang your head on the walls)! Just finding the double jump won't help you progress further!

The game is huge, 18 interconnected zones, all full of secrets! Each screen have something important in it! The level design is carefully build to give the best experience you can get, the bosses are epic and the music are catchy as hell!

Here's one of the map of the game, for you to see how huge it is (again, there's 18 of them, just like that)

6182A54E95903783156AAD4B9DC03656BD484700

Personally it's my favourite metroidvania, and one of the best game i ever played!

Last edited:

Zapperino

Oct 28, 2017
La mulana is my favourite game that I will never play to completion. Will definitely give the sequel a try!

Zapperino

Oct 28, 2017
you should finish it with a guide at least! The bosses are still great even if you don't manage to solve the puzzles
Eh, I spoiled it for myself WAY too much. Watched an excellent walkthrough (which I cannot seem to find again, unfortunately), which explained puzzles and environment art in meticolous detail, and watched many speedruns. Considering that the gameplay is probably the worst part of the game, I'd say I had my fill.
I truly consider it a masterpiece, but the gameplay is definitely not for everyone.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
I didn't think this was coming out ever so I never started the first game.
What's the correlation? The first is pretty self contained and worthwhile with or without a sequel. When it was first made and released for free they definitely didn't have in mind that ~6 years later they will release a retail remake and eventually that remake will get a sequel for them to have made the first one in a way that missing a sequel would diminish it in any way...

OP
OP
Kain-Nosgoth

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Eh, I spoiled it for myself WAY too much. Watched an excellent walkthrough (which I cannot seem to find again, unfortunately), which explained puzzles and environment art in meticolous detail, and watched many speedruns. Considering that the gameplay is probably the worst part of the game, I'd say I had my fill.
I truly consider it a masterpiece, but the gameplay is definitely not for everyone.

I get it, still cool than you can appreciate it despite this!

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Glad I backed this. Last I checked the campaign update page the lead developer took a bit of a break recovering from surgery. Hope he made a full recovery.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, great to have a release date. Backed it way back, and have been comfortable with the progress - it's been slow, but recognisably continual, and Naramura's been good with regular updates.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
What's the correlation? The first is pretty self contained and worthwhile with or without a sequel. When it was first made and released for free they definitely didn't have in mind that ~6 years later they will release a retail remake and eventually that remake will get a sequel for them to have made the first one in a way that missing a sequel would diminish it in any way...
I kinda care more about the sequel as there's a cool looking protagonist.

And speaking of for free I checked my games from PS+ and have La Mulana EX. So I mean I actually have no idea why I haven't played it yet? I was literally given the most up to date version for free and it's just been on my Vita.

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez, it took them 4 years for developing that?

Anyway, I loved La-Mulana 1 on Steam, I had a blast time playing it for hours almost everyday in the past and maaaaan, those bosses were not fucking around. It's basically a Dark Souls of Indiana Jones game.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember I played the first game, and I got really fucking far but got stuck on something I could never figure out how to finish. Kinda killed the game for me.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
La Mulana still stands as the only game I've ever had to use a guide to complete . I'm expecting the same here, but I'm excited none the less. Bring it on!!!!!! Hopefully the music is just as awesome.

Last edited:

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
My first kickstarter game.

They seem to have had a lot of problems with development from reading the blogs over the years, especially lack of funds.
I'm sure it'll be great, but surpassing the original (my top metroivania) seems less likely.

The problem is the game is impossible without a guide.
I've played it through without any guides for about 95% of the game.
It's only the top final puzzle that is way too obscure, even with in-game tablet hints.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
It's going to be just as impossible as the first one, isn't it.

I like a challenge but it wasn't a challenge, it was a brick wall.

Has anyone ever beaten it without help, hints or a guide?

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, GOTY 2018 is coming.

La-Mulana is easily in the top-tier echelon of metroidvanias, and I'm stoked to see what kind of interesting ideas and changes they've got up their sleeve for the sequel.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I backed the tier that gets you physical versions of LM1 and LM2. I hope those turn out really well. But at this point I'm just excited that the game is finally coming out.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I rarely if ever use guides on my first playthrough of a game but the original game broke me several times. I really enjoyed it none the less. Great game and can't wait for the sequel

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to love the first one, but I just couldn't get into it. If I were on a deserted island with only La-Mulana, then maybe I would come to appreciate it. It's so strange, because I want to love it and it feels really special for some reason >_>'

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Fucking finally!

Can't wait for trying to not use guides but failing through 1/4 of the game :' )

The problem is the game is impossible without a guide. Playing along with a guide is not fun. Hopefully they fix it in the sequel but indie games are only getting harder.

Believe me, the game is really challenging and any progression feels like a accomplishment even with a guide. La-Mulana with guides is still more challenging than most games i think.

Trying to guide yourself by maps you find in the internet instead of reading an actual walkthrough makes stuff really great also. It makes the experience more manageable and not exactly obvious.

Last edited:

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I tried to love the first one, but I just couldn't get into it. If I were on a deserted island with only La-Mulana, then maybe I would come to appreciate it. It's so strange, because I want to love it and it feels really special for some reason >_>'
This is how I feel. I love the concept and the visuals, and I love downright unfairly difficult platforming. But I don't enjoy a game being obscure for the sake of being obscure the way La Mulana 1 did it. I got from 1001 Spikes what I wanted from La Mulana - even though I realize they are entirely different kinds of games.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Is it still a metroidvania when its an homage to maze of galious? :thinking:
Unfortunately, most people haven't played it. :(
One of my favorite games ever.

This is how I feel. I love the concept and the visuals, and I love downright unfairly difficult platforming. But I don't enjoy a game being obscure for the sake of being obscure the way La Mulana 1 did it. I got from 1001 Spikes what I wanted from La Mulana - even though I realize they are entirely different kinds of games.
If you ever want to try it again, try the Vita version. They improved the signposts and puzzles a fair bit.

OP
OP
Kain-Nosgoth

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
The problem is the game is impossible without a guide. Playing along with a guide is not fun. Hopefully they fix it in the sequel but indie games are only getting harder.

it's not impossible without a guide, there people that did it, the clues are all there in the game! And i personally almost did it, had to check it for like two puzzle but that's it!
And the dev are aware of it, they said some of the puzzles were really hard to figure out and they tried to make it more clear for the sequel (hope it will not be to facilitated though)

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I figure a lot of La Mulana fans have never played the original freeware version, so I'm gonna link a speedrun of that. It was so incredible even before the remake.

And, in case anyone's curious, here is a runthrough of Konami's Maze of Galious for MSX, by which La Mulana is heavily inspired.

Donuts

Oct 28, 2017
YES!! LM 1 is easily my favorite game of all time! 70+ hours of frustration and satisfying (sometimes utter BS) puzzles!

The soundtrack is so good:

I remember getting through a good chunk of that game without getting the Grail. I learned that map real well ._.

Hyped for the sequel!

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Good God I backed this so long ago. Forgot about it to be honest.

So glad to hear it's coming soon.

MrDoctor

Oct 26, 2017
USA
la-mulana is so hard because the puzzles are designed unlike anything else. just use the wiki or something that has all the notes taken for you if you're not tuff enuff, seriously. good news is the demo and words from the lead dev suggest the sequel will be more intuitive.

I backed the tier that gets you physical versions of LM1 and LM2. I hope those turn out really well. But at this point I'm just excited that the game is finally coming out.
i regrettably couldn't justify the cost at the time. so i'll just be happy i was able to snag the vita collector's edition from lrg.