• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
USA

A new study suggests that last year's Ridgecrest earthquakes increased the chance of a large earthquake on California's San Andreas fault.

The study, published in the Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America on Monday, says there is now a 2.3% chance of an earthquake of magnitude 7.5 or greater in the next 12 months on a section of the 160-mile-long Garlock fault, which runs along the northern edge of the Mojave Desert.
The new odds mean a large quake on the Garlock fault is now calculated to be 100 times more likely — rising from 0.023% in the next year to 2.3%.

And the chance of a large quake on the San Andreas has roughly tripled, from 0.35% in the next year to 1.15%, said Ross Stein, a coauthor of the study and the CEO of Temblor, a catastrophe modeling company in the Bay Area that has built a free earthquake hazards app for smartphones.

Chance of big San Andreas earthquake increased by Ridgecrest temblors, study suggests

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yea man shit ain't getting any better. I just hope my family will be able to come out of this

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Fear-based clickbait. If you read the article, it is entirely speculative. And still talking about extraordinarily low percentages. It's now tripled all the way up to 1 maybe 2% likelihood.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Fear-based clickbait. If you read the article, it is entirely speculative. And still talking about extraordinarily low percentages. It's now tripled all the way up to 1 maybe 2% likelihood.

Yeah that's what I figured.

Earthquakes aren't like any other natural disaster, there's almost no way of knowing when they'll happen in advance. The warning you get will be minutes before it strikes, at best.

Anybody who tells you that scientists can predict when "the big one" is going to happen is blowing smoke out their ass.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I mean, yeah its 2%, but that is still two times out of a 100.

But it's only a guess that it's 2%. Idk... it's concerning, as someone who lives in SoCal, but it's also like -- not exactly actionable information. It's not like learning a hurricane is coming.

The threat of the San Andreas faultline going crazy and knocking part of the continent in the ocean has been a recurring nightmare for the US, and it's not that it will never happen, but what is guaranteed to happen is that every year, without fail, that fear will be prodded by the LA Times.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Call the Rock. I didn't see that movie but I assume he used his giant muscle to stop the earthquake.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
is this happening yearly or something? like, is it nigh-guaranteed to happen in 50 years?

Seismic events are notoriously difficult to predict, which is why they tend to be counted out of multiple millennia.

There will probably be a major incident sometime in the next 5,000 years.
I feel sorry for the future inhabitants of the Canadian-annexed Territories of the Western American Hinterlands.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
What if we just use a lot of super glue and duct tape to hold the continental plates in place.