• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Every single remote job has hundreds, if not thousands of applicants. I've applied for everything under the sun and can barely even get an interview, think I've had 3 in total and spoken to a couple of recruiters. Anything entry level has thousands of applicants to compete against and if it's not entry level and is in the field I worked in previously (real estate) it still has hundreds of applicants and there's no reason I stand out more than another. I don't want to work in office, I don't have reliable transportation, I live in a city with shitty public transportation options, Uber is expensive, and I just have very bad social anxiety and vastly prefer the remote work, but this is depressing. Is there any hope at all? I'm not even demanding too much. My minimum pay is only a little bit above minimum wage, I just need enough to survive with my current rent and still the competition is insane.

Bokoblin

Banned
Sep 14, 2022
I can't relate because I quit medical residency to pursue a career in teaching (and they're always recruiting) but I wish you the best.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
How about learning some new in demand skills. If you have a vehicle you can do Instacart, Uber, & Lyft if you're in the US to make ends until you learn some skills that are in high demand.

If you can't do any of that then I hope you find something you enjoy and are good at that pays what you need.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I did customer support for a bank remote when my industry shut down. Pay was about $5 above minimum wage plus benefits.

Honestly the criteria seemed barely above "You breathing? You're hired". It was fine for "it pays the bills" but I hated the focus on metrics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SlayerSaint

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
How about learning some new in demand skills. If you have a vehicle you can do Instacart, Uber, & Lyft if you're in the US to make ends until you learn some skills that are in high demand.

If you can't do any of that then I hope you find something you enjoy and are good at that pays what you need.

Yeah I don't have a vehicle and don't think I'm getting the money to get one anytime soon. I have signed up for certificate programs such as for marketing but these things take a while and unfortunately I don't have much longer so I don't think it's going to help with the immediate needs, but I am still enrolled as a long term investment.

Bokoblin

Banned
Sep 14, 2022
Mind if I DM you? I'd be interested in hearing what led you to make that move.

Not sure if I want to talk about it. It just made me depressed and anxious (was hospitalised for it). I didn't see myself become a doctor but family pressure made it hard to leave. Now I'm planning on becoming an English teacher. (I live in France so I have no debt)

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
Good luck in your search and I feel for you. Currently unemployed since July. The ups and downs of emotions of possibilities then constantly getting let down, is a fucking chore.

OP
OP
SlayerSaint

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Good luck in your search and I feel for you. Currently unemployed since July. The ups and downs of emotions of possibilities then constantly getting let down, is a fucking chore.

To you as well, I hear you on that. Some industries I see people able to get remote jobs without much issue but others it's just brutal. Starting to feel like the companies are winning with forcing everyone back in office, my previous 2 jobs I had no trouble getting and they were remote. Getting laid off made everything spiral. Especially since I was in line for a 2nd promotion after already being made a team lead - went from a great spot to nothing and my happiness just went down the drain.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
To you as well, I hear you on that. Some industries I see people able to get remote jobs without much issue but others it's just brutal. Starting to feel like the companies are winning with forcing everyone back in office, my previous 2 jobs I had no trouble getting and they were remote. Getting laid off made everything spiral. Especially since I was in line for a 2nd promotion after already being made a team lead - went from a great spot to nothing and my happiness just went down the drain.
I've been through career coaching, professional resume writers, networking, kissing ass on LinkedIn, on the verge of annoying my friends and asking if their companies are hiring, putting myself on various temp agencies and recruitment sites, you name it, I've done it and all it ever gets me is jack shit.

So then you get the possibility of what you think, is a great interview, a pat on the back and a "we'll be in touch, you seem like a fantastic candidate!" and then absolutely dick, not even a auto reply email from a bot. It's discouraging, emotionally draining and hard as hell. I can only tell you, keep at it. Know your limits and apply and keep going. I'm jaded as shit but I know I'm not getting paid to waste time like some recruiters, so I only do what I can and no more. No two hour assessments and time wasting bullshit. Just keep at it, friend.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
So this is the only downside to remote work. You are competing with significantly more people. I'm sorry you having so much trouble op I wish I had some advice but when I was job searching I was running into the same sort of issues and the only advice I have is to keep on applying.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I left a role for a remote one. Took me about 2 months to find. Was a huge company that also offers most of their roles remote. Identical industry I've been in though so I was sure I could find....something. Keep plugging away, search more places, some places might do remote but might not list properly, etc.

Stiletto

Jan 4, 2023
The last remote offer I got was cuz I dropped a physical resume off at their location. There's a good chance either
A: The receptionist will mention it to the boss when they get back from lunch, or put it on his desk, or scan it and email him.
or
B: The boss or a supervisor will sit down to talk with you right then and there.

The old boomer mentality of walkin in with a nice shirt and a firm handshake is once again the new meta. If the company you want is in another city then use that as an excuse for a mini vacation where you drop off a bunch of resumes like that.

Just sayin what worked for me.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
It's not remote work but if you want to get paid to mostly play with children on the autism spectrum it's not hard to get a job as a behavior therapist. But you'd probably need transportation.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It's not remote work but if you want to get paid to mostly play with children on the autism spectrum it's not hard to get a job as a behavior therapist. But you'd probably need transportation.

Do you need a degree in that? Trying to find something that works better myself. I've spent so much time as a customer service supervisor in retail. I like helping others but it gets tiresome when it means nothing.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I would imagine the hardest part about finding a remote job is that the applicant pool has to be huge since there's no geographic barrier. Anyone, anywhere can apply for the same job

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
Try seeing if there are any tech staffing companies in your area. Some firms do offer remote work and many offer customer service, Know Your Customer/Client and operations analyst roles all of which have entry level options depending where you look. I will say, in my area most offer hybrid schedules requiring some time in office with optional remote days so your mileage may vary regarding fully remote or hybrid based positions.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Not sure if I want to talk about it. It just made me depressed and anxious (was hospitalised for it). I didn't see myself become a doctor but family pressure made it hard to leave. Now I'm planning on becoming an English teacher. (I live in France so I have no debt)
lol I was gonna say, an American moving from medicine to teaching? In this climate? Inconceivable

Oct 26, 2017
Damn. If you weren't in Arizona I was going to DM you. We're always hiring, it's remote, and it pays over minimum (though not by a ton). I'll double-check tomorrow, but don't think we're set up for Arizona.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Do you need a degree in that? Trying to find something that works better myself. I've spent so much time as a customer service supervisor in retail. I like helping others but it gets tiresome when it means nothing.
Nah, just a high school diploma. The only hard part is getting hours before 3pm so ymwv. Search for ABA technician jobs in your area if you're interest. A quick search says companies are hiring in AZ for around $20/h. They might want you to get a certification but they should offer training to earn it. It's just like 40 hours of classes and a test.

Last edited:

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I don't mean this to be glib, but have you considered a non-remote job?

You're young and have no experience. You don't have a degree or professional certification.

What makes you stand out versus anyone else? I'm sure there's something, but you'll have to sell it. It will be easier to sell in person. And then after a bit you can switch to hybrid or remote.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Things are tough. The place I work only brings me on occasionally, when someone else isn't available. Don't know where the hell else to apply.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You might want to consider not working remote with your lack of experience

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I would imagine the hardest part about finding a remote job is that the applicant pool has to be huge since there's no geographic barrier. Anyone, anywhere can apply for the same job
It is insane. Our company was hiring recently, fully remote, an entry level role, we were getting like 60 applicants a day, I felt bad for the TA team. I don't know if that's considered a lot but it seemed like a lot. Most would of course not make it to the hiring screen, then less would make it past the blind assessment, then even less past the next 2 rounds of interviews. It is amazing to me how many people would completely whiff the BA with spelling and grammatical errors, even misspelling the name of the company multiple times in multiple instances, there are just a lot of people who don't care as much about doing well at the job as much as having a WFH job.

Don't give up OP, be persistent. If you want to work remote, it's going to take more persistence but there are jobs out there. If things get dire financially though, you might have to settle for a hybrid deal.

Last edited:

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
If it's been 6 months and you have no qualifications that makes you stand out, you may just have to be less picky.

Working in office or even in a hospitality job may be needed. Are you able to get your license and a cheap used car if public transport isn't up to par?

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Nah, just a high school diploma. The only hard part is getting hours before 3pm so ymwv. Search for ABA technician jobs in your area if you're interest. A quick search says companies are hiring in AZ for around $20/h. They might want you to get a certification but they should offer training to earn it. It's just like 40 hours of classes and a test.

Oh, I am in Orlando Florida. I did look up jobs in the area and some information on what it entails. I might actually go for it soon. My job is fine but it's not rewarding. I'm a patient and empathic person so this might be a good fit.

Is this the field you are in?

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Going to be honest, but you're going to have to bite the bullet on something eventually.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean this to be glib, but have you considered a non-remote job?

You're young and have no experience. You don't have a degree or professional certification.

What makes you stand out versus anyone else? I'm sure there's something, but you'll have to sell it. It will be easier to sell in person. And then after a bit you can switch to hybrid or remote.

He doesn't have a car in Phoenix.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I think they're going to nee to figure out transportation or just hope for a miracle TBH. Remote work with almost zero filter means you're fighting against probably hundreds of people. Unless you can stand out, you're just hoping for a very lucky dice roll.

You need SOMETHING to differentiate or it's just very unlikely. It sucks, but that's the case.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
I feel you. I' ve applied to countless data entry positions and still can't even land a basic ass job as that. I've even told potential employers that I'm willing to accept the lowest pay possible for the job position if it meant I could work remote. But I never get any response back from them.

I'm desperate for remote work, don't even care about pay atm. I just want to gain some white collar experience.

OP
OP
SlayerSaint

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019

Too many people to respond to so I'll pick this one and try to cover everything. It is very difficult to find anything that could work in person, as public transportation here is awful. I have applied for a few in person jobs that were within walkable distance but unfortunately "walkable distance" does not give you anywhere near as many options in Phoenix as probably any other city. Least walkable city in America. I didn't mention but I also have a disability (no, disability is not enough for me to live off of) that pretty much rules out any sort of labor job. I have an utterly fucked back and cannot stand for anywhere close to 8 hours a day, let alone while moving around and lifting stuff.

Anything that pays commission (like sales) is off the table because I need something reliable and sales isn't it, though I have applied for the sales jobs I've seen that are base pay + commission. Trust me, y'all, I know that there's nothing that makes me stand out and I lamented it in the OP. But there's not much I can do about it. I can't finish school without income to do so or else I would finish up my degree, I am working on a certificate but it's a several months long program so it doesn't help the immediate, and I've mentioned the reasons for why in person is tough to work with. Things were going great for me, then my company like many companies late last year decided to layoff 18% of the company. I was working towards my degree, I was making good progress up the ladder at said company, I was paid well enough, etc. Now it's just like being stuck in quicksand.

I think someone said I have no experience which either we have different definitions or they misread, because I do still have 3 years of work experience on my resume including over a year as a team lead, essentially assistant manager, for a sizable team at a real estate company. But that's still a tough sell with how high the competition is. I have recently tried resorting to jobs that are hybrid in Phoenix only so that I still get some remote but with a much lower competition pool but haven't had any bites yet. It would be much more financially stable if I only had to uber to work sometimes rather than 5 days a week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SlayerSaint

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Well as if I spoke it into existence I have a call with a recruiter about a remote opening later today lol.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I would highly recommend looking at summer camp jobs. Lots or rewarding experience and plenty of options for long term employment.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You're really working against the flow at the moment to be quite honest. Even though you have a few years of experience you're probably still looking at entry level jobs or jobs that don't have a high barrier of entry. You're also looking for a job in an economy where companies have hiring freezes or laying people off. To add on top of it, it seems like you have some work conditions or particulars that you're not necessarily willing to compromise on. At this point if you need a job, you honestly can't be picky and you have to let up some points. You might think it's not asking for much but in the sea of hundreds and thousands you're just another blip. Fact is, compromising now might help you in the long term. That's just the reality.

That being said,

• i would honestly pickup a job that pays well (even if you don't like it) tbh because it will at least bring in some money while you're still job hunting. Remember, just because you have a job doesn't mean you can't search while working.
  • I would hit up some friends that you have in the area and ask if they are hiring at all. You never know. Most of the times people get their foot in the door not because they applied online but through their social network.
  • Work on some certifications that require minimal effort and bring in immediate value. If it's tech then having an AWS or Azure certification goes a long way.
  • America has demonized living with parents for some reason but there's literally no shame in it.
  • Do not let pride block you from opportunities. If you see a poster on here and it makes sense then ask them if there are openings at their companies. Chances are those posters also get incentivized through recruiting bonus.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
$500-1000 can get you an electric bike and necessary accessories and may be enough to expand your travel range somewhat. Not a panacea and in Arizona there's gonna be some travel risk involved, but it's also something that can largely be overcome w/ some planning.

OP
OP
SlayerSaint

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Well to conclude this saga, just accepted a hybrid position (2 days remote/3 in office) for 25% more pay than my previous job. We take those.