• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was an interesting tidbit from the Gamespot interview (1:50, if the timestamp doesn't work)

View: https://youtu.be/egQgPD1wd7A?si=HsWIlCJfrx4oVArs&t=111

Swen: It's almost doubled DOS2 now, so it's doing really really well as DOS2 was very successful. So it did beyond what we expected.

For reference, the last time they gave us an update on DOS2's sales was back in 2019 when they said it sold three times that of DOS1, which put DOS2 at 7.5 million copies back then. So it seems like Baldur's Gate 3 is now have sold at least around 15 million copies which is an incredible achievement for Larian. Very well deserved.

Thought this deserved its own thread.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Using the D&D brand (even if they aren't next time) was a smart move.

Whatever they make next, they can just slap "from the developers of BG3" and all of the new fans that showed up will likely be there

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I'm really happy to hear that an isometric strategy RPG is a 15 mil seller in 2024.
Baldurs Gate 3 surely deserves it, because it is also a complete full price experience.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
really excited to see what they do next, considering it's not gonna be dos3 yet

they'll have a hell of a launchpad for whatever they do next

if it's a new ip that thing is gonna be big for them

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
Hell yeah.

I knew even back during EA that BG3 was going to be special. The fact that it surpassed pretty much every single expectation put upon it is beyond amazing.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
Around Xmas time I bought DOS2 during a sale as I wanted to try a Larian game before committing to BG3. However, I bounced off DOS2 within a couple of hours—it just felt super-janky to me. Given this experience, would this rule out BG3 for me? I like the idea of it but DOS2 has soured me.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Around Xmas time I bought DOS2 during a sale as I wanted to try a Larian game before committing to BG3. However, I bounced off DOS2 within a couple of hours—it just felt super-janky to me. Given this experience, would this rule out BG3 for me? I like the idea of it but DOS2 has soured me.
BG3 is like a very polished version of OS2 with better writing, combat, and itemization.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
BG1 and BG2 remakes.

Safe and with huge potential, just like publishers like it.

evil-dontyou.gif

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It honestly might just not be your kinda game. Both me and a friend liked the idea of BG3 and picked it up but never got out of act 1 since it never clicked. Also had DOS and dropped it within a couple hours. If you like crpgs then yeah it may still be something you could get into, but it's always possible the genre may not be for you

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got the japan version? I heard there is like one cutseen that has been cut in it, but wondering if its worth it still. I want to own it physicaly and atm the japan version is not too expensive, wondering if i wikl be missing much with the cut stuff in it,

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
BG1 and BG2 remakes.

Safe and with huge potential, just like publishers like it.
I think Hasbro will more likely fund a BG4 (without having a 4 in the title), honestly and just make it a carbon-copy of BG1 plot wise. Basically pulling a Force Awakens. And then just copy as much as you can from the combat of BG3, minus the reactivity to make it manageable for a new team.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Anyone got the japan version? I heard there is like one cutseen that has been cut in it, but wondering if its worth it still. I want to own it physicaly and atm the japan version is not too expensive, wondering if i wikl be missing much with the cut stuff in it,
if sommit is cut in the japanese version i usually assume it's sommit to do with decapitation

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
BG3 is the dream game, full stop. 10/10 story, gameplay, presentation, music. It's the full package, and I say that as someone who actively disliked isometric games in general before playing it, including bouncing off DSO2. However, for someone like me (and sounds like maybe you) there was a steep learning curve that required watching a few hours of YouTube videos to understand the mechanics, terminology, interface, best practices, etc. So it is 100% worth it for you to give BG3 a shot, but be prepared for that.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
as disappointed as im with the no expansion/dlc, im looking forward to what they do next, even div 3, as long as the characters they make are as likeable as bg3.

larian deserves this success congratz

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
You dropped this, king. 👑👏

Here, lemme help you with that: 🤴

There ya go buddy. Well deserved. I hope he goes on to make something new and fabulous. Take your time, king.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Define janky please. DOS2 after the definitive edition it's very well polished and runs great.

If your problem was with the game mechanics then BG3 is not for you either.

AzureSky

Dec 11, 2017
this game was an instant classic on release and will sell for decades.
The numbers will slow down, but not stop to go up any time soon for BG3.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Something about Wizards wanting to push the "latest setting" of D&D makes me think they actually wouldn't want to revisit the state of the forgotten realms in BG1/2. Remaking those games in 5E rules is one thing, setting them in 5E times is another.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Never realized that DOS2 was this big commercially.
I try and tell folks every time we get a thread like this lol:
www.resetera.com

Why did it take until Baldur's Gate 3 for Larian to have a hit when the Divinity Original Sin titles are critical darlings?

So, Larian, before Baldur's Gate 3, were known for their Divinity titles. I'm not sure, but the early Divinity titles weren't that critically acclaimed. Then came Original Sin, and it was really favourably reviewed. On MC it has 87 on PC. Then came Original Sin 2 which sits at 90+. I was aware...

D:OS2 handily cleared every single Bioware game.
Hope they'll make DOS3 next with all BG3 cinematic flair.
Next game isn't that:
Vincke says the next game won't be Divinity: Original Sin 3, and that it will be "different than what you think it is" but that it's "still familiar."

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Using the D&D brand (even if they aren't next time) was a smart move.

Whatever they make next, they can just slap "from the developers of BG3" and all of the new fans that showed up will likely be there

Yes, well...I'm not so sure it'll work as well as you think. Sure, having released such a high-profile game is a boon, but if they go back to the relatively generic Rivellon or a brand new setting, it won't win all those fans right away. D&D and Forgotten Realms are a significant portion of the appeal here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Yes, well...I'm not so sure it'll work as well as you think. Sure, having released such a high-profile game is a boon, but if they go back to the relatively generic Rivellon or a brand new setting, it won't win all those fans right away. D&D and Forgotten Realms are a significant portion of the appeal here.

That's true. I do think being a new IP will be a bigger draw than another Divinty game. Feels like an easier way to get people in than "here's the 3rd game in a series you didn't play"

Which is where I think it being D&D really helped with BG3. As anyone who didn't play the earlier titles at least went "well I know that universe"

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
That's some insane amount of hopium.

You should be happy if it sells a few 100k copies.
First off my first comment was in jest, I obv dont think it would sell 5 million alone on a switch 2. But i do think it can do really well generally.

Also I'm talking lifetime sales, from Switch 2 launch to its end, I totally think it can sell over a million.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
If you watch the whole interview, Swen actually says that because BG3 was so successful, for a time people were saying they should do BG3 DLC and BG4 and initially he was like okay let's do that, but then after a bit he was reminded that they didn't make Larian to make decisions based on business success, so they decided to not do more BG and D&D and instead stick to their initial and overall long term plan of eventually making the ultimate RPG game (which isn't their next game, or the game after that based on how he was talking about it).

Jul 24, 2018
That's true. I do think being a new IP will be a bigger draw than another Divinty game. Feels like an easier way to get people in than "here's the 3rd game in a series you didn't play"

Which is where I think it being D&D really helped with BG3. As anyone who didn't play the earlier titles at least went "well I know that universe"
I sincerely doubt their next game will be a new IP, that kind of ambitoon is probably something they'll save for the game that is go8ng to allegedly trump BG3

Jul 24, 2018
I actually do hope they make an Original Sin 3 as the setting was pretty interesting, I love that elves can attain the memories of corpses by eating their limbs, playable Undead and their ability to lockpick doors using their fingers. I'd love to see another game in that series with the tech of BG3.
He did say last year that it was something they are definitely doing but just not anytime soon so I hope that is still the case.