Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This might be the worst episode in franchise history which is a really big mountain to climb.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About a thousand or so of these reviews were actually posted before the episode aired, in response to the leaks, but I legitimately expected the reviews to grow more positive after the episode had aired, since the larger GoT fanbase seems to have been happy with the direction of the show,
The larger GoT fanbase does not waste their time review-bombing IMDB pages for episodes that they found to be adequate.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
It was rather divisive, even more so than the other episodes in the OT. But this time, some criticisms were legit. Such as:

Why Jon would be more emotional towards saying goodbye to Tormund and Sam, but all Ghost got was a fucking head nod.

Dany: "Don't tell anyone about your true identity, not even your family"
Jon: "Ok, because you're my queen, also my aunt, but I love you anyway"
15 minutes later......
Jon: "Arya and Sansa, please swear to keep my secret to yourselves"
Arya and Sansa: "We swear"
15 more minutes later
Sansa: "Hey Tyrion. I know something you don't know"

Brynne and Jamie being built up among multiple seasons, only for Jamie to stick around long enough to fuck her then run.

Having a war room council talk about where your enemies will be located heading towards Kings Landing, and deciding to just go head first into them anyway leading to Dany losing another dragon.

Was Cersei even aware of who Missandei was when she was captured after Dany's army was torn to shreds?

And then there was that tiny army of Dany's who Cersei could've easily slaughtered

Plus Tyrion's "I know you've been bad in the past, but you're not a monster", after she blew up an entire sect and other innocent people without a moment's hesitation.

I still enjoy the show, but this episode was rather disappointing. It's the first one that made me think they should've decided to push it out to 10 50-minute episodes + one 90-minute series finale to flesh out the stories better. Because right now, everything feels pretty rushed.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's been a different kind of show since about season six or so, it doesn't make it a "bad show" it's just a different one. Some fans understand and are fine with this, others talk shit and then watch it anyway so they can bitch.
There's nothing wrong with being a different kind of show, but you have to execute on what you are attempting well, which is categorically untrue for Game of Thrones.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
man you guys are no fun at all sometimes most of the time.

Nobody in my viewing party had anything to say about any of the stuff you guys are babbling on about. Put down your monocles and enjoy the content, folks. Go with the flow as much as you can. Not like you can change anything anyway.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
"Nerdrage" is just the excuse show fans on this forum use to handwave legitimate criticism of how bad this show has become.

Probably true for some, although it's tough to define "legitimate criticism" to a fan. I know a couple people who were always VERY outspoken with Star Wars and comic book movie criticism, typical nerdrage stuff, but they don't post anything about GoT, maybe a funny meme or something. So that's why I said it went mainstream, because I don't think it's exclusive to the "outspoken nerds" anymore.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's been ruined since season 5.

Jokes aside though,

When he came to Winterfell from King's Landing, did he really think he'd go right back after fighting against the White Walkers? No, he absolutely came North with the intention of never going back- or at least that's how the show portrayed it. When he arrived at Winterfell, he told them everything he knew about Cersei's plans and the fact that she'd hired the Golden Company.

Him deciding to go back because he fears Dany will now definitely murder Cersei makes no sense, because really, was there ever any doubt that that wouldn't happen? His decision to go back just seems like an awfully convenient one that serves no purpose beyond creating artificial unnecessary drama, and also completely ruins the big step his character took at the end of last season.

Or he's going back explicitly to kill Cersei, because he knows he's the one with the best chance and running down Brienne emotionally guarantees she doesn't follow?

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Deserved. You can't make that many people so fucking dumb to create dramatic scenes later on. That's all the writers do now. Write to big moments instead of letting things happen with any kind of subtleties.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
He's been ruined since season 5.

Jokes aside though,

When he came to Winterfell from King's Landing, did he really think he'd go right back after fighting against the White Walkers? No, he absolutely came North with the intention of never going back- or at least that's how the show portrayed it. When he arrived at Winterfell, he told them everything he knew about Cersei's plans and the fact that she'd hired the Golden Company.

Him deciding to go back because he fears Dany will now definitely murder Cersei makes no sense, because really, was there ever any doubt that that wouldn't happen? His decision to go back just seems like an awfully convenient one that serves no purpose beyond creating artificial unnecessary drama, and also completely ruins the big step his character took at the end of last season.
Wait. What?

You thought he was riding south for anything other than a suicide mission to try to personally stop Cersei?

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really? I thought last night's episode was easily this season's best, and one of the better episodes of the past couple seasons at least.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing wrong with being a different kind of show, but you have to execute on what you are attempting well, which is categorically untrue for Game of Thrones.
Yeah, I just think that the "kind of show" it is Right Now is a race to wrap it up in fewer episodes than it probably needed to be truly satisfying to longtime fans. They clearly started to fridge out entire plotlines once they realized they were only getting 12 more hours, and certain plot developments that we're seeing now that don't make a ton of narrative sense are more or less inevitable because they need to happen, there just isn't enough time to make them feel super plausible.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Maybe it's just because I didn't give a fuck about the White Walkers but I thought it was the best episode of the season so far.

Or maybe it was just because Jaime and Brienne finally fucked.

Oct 25, 2017

It's quite amazing how much people are trying to diminish any criticism of the show. The complete fumbling of the show post book material should be the clear signal the showrunners are just bad and don't know how to execute a story vision.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nobody in my viewing party had anything to say about any of the stuff you guys are babbling on about. Put down your monocles and enjoy the content, folks. Go with the flow as much as you can. Not like you can change anything anyway.

This is sarcasm, right? Please be sarcasm

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the takeaway is that casual viewers found this to be less than adequate, and then decided to express their disgruntlement? I can agree with that.
No, the takeaway is that nobody casually watching and enjoying this stuff is going to interact with IMDB at all. Their opinion will not be reflected in the score.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait. What?

You thought he was riding south for anything other than a suicide mission to try to personally stop Cersei?
D&D confirmed in the post-show show that he actually is going back to Cersei

Probably true for some, although it's tough to define "legitimate criticism" to a fan. I know a couple people who were always VERY outspoken with Star Wars and comic book movie criticism, typical nerdrage stuff, but they don't post anything about GoT, maybe a funny meme or something. So that's why I said it went mainstream, because I don't think it's exclusive to the "outspoken nerds" anymore.
I mean things like "Tyrion would never be drinking while talking to Varys" is nerdrage. On the other hand, legitimate criticism of contrivances in the show are not.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
The hand waving of legitimate criticism of this show never ceases to amaze me.

I think people are pretty overwhelmingly negative about the show in the past two seasons?

Yes, because this is a valid comparison.

TBH people complaining about the Sopranos finale did feel like one of the first waves of people just yelling "i dont like it" at a TV show in lieu of actual critique.

What is this? You can't be critical of one of the best TV shows? On a video game forum even.

I don't really like the show that much (and certainly wouldn't be like one of those dumb MCU fanboys that bans all discussion of the failings of a media property) but I've found that so so so much criticism has been focused on RedLetterMedia style "how did he hit the dragon! Why didn't they see the boats!" CinemaSins style of complaining that really adds nothing substantial to discussion at all.

I think there are plenty of valid complaints about the show (and especially the way these last two seasons have been handled without just saying "the writing is so bad" over and over again without ever analyzing anything beyond the most surface level crit.

Uh, Tony was constantly scrutinized for how he handled his personal matters.

It probably just didn't feel like such a weird echo chamber at the moment because the entire economy of internet discussion wasn't as big to be honest.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
I've somehow avoided GoT and by the time the hype was at its peak I decided I would wait for the show to finish before watching it.

Everything I hear about the last season has been bad though. Is the journey worth it?
Imo the first 4 seasons are good enough to stand on their own. It's not that nothing good happens after that, but the ride up to that point is enjoyable and eventful enough to leave you satisfied regardless of any unresolved story threads.

I haven't read the books but I've seen readers complain that the books are similar where the last two just sorta spin their wheels.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I still enjoy the show but more in a fast and furious "the spectacle" kind of way, the writing has been bad since season 4 or 5 and its only really getting brutally exposed now as character arcs are closing out. Before there was always the "... well, that was kinda dumb but there is still plenty of time for this character/story to redeem itself", but thats gone now.

You can still enjoy the show for what it is and no shade at you at all, but the show is vastly different than what it was in season 1 & 2. Just like sports teams and stuff though, way too many people take an attack on the show as somehow an attack on them. Saying the show is bad now doesn't mean someone is saying you are bad or your tastes are bad.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, the takeaway is that nobody casually watching and enjoying this stuff is going to interact with IMDB at all. Their opinion will not be reflected in the score.
I have a legitimate question- "nerdraage" for Game of Thrones has been a thing for three years now. Episode 6 of Season 7 (Beyond the Wall) is the most criticized episode in GoT history, and it has a 9.2 on iMDB. So what exactly has changed?

Oct 25, 2017

Discussing it is half the fun. It's been more than 20 years in the making, of course it's getting disected.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
stupid NERDS

just turn off your brains already! enjoy the EPIC and COOL moments from your favourite characters! :D

It doesn't matter if the writing sucks and makes no sense, the show is still awesome

don't know why you NERDS even watch it if you don't like it anyway... lmao...
you forgot "plot armor"
and "not enough named characters died"

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really? I thought last night's episode was easily this season's best, and one of the better episodes of the past couple seasons at least.
It's seems great at first, because some of the acting was fantastic, like Emilia Clarks and Conleth hills, but after you take a minute to think what actually went down, you realize how horrible the writing was.

Liam

Oct 25, 2017
can you post the user ratings? to see how many people are review bombing compared to the normal user ratings?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I just think that the "kind of show" it is Right Now is a race to wrap it up in fewer episodes than it probably needed to be truly satisfying to longtime fans. They clearly started to fridge out entire plotlines once they realized they were only getting 12 more hours, and certain plot developments that we're seeing now that don't make a ton of narrative sense are more or less inevitable because they need to happen, there just isn't enough time to make them feel super plausible.

This still a poor excuse though and does not absolve of it the criticism it rightly deserves.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't great especially the green screen/cgi at the gates scene and the dragon thing was especially fucked considering it wasn't the first time that was used. Just shit writing all around.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This show kissed shotgun at around Season 4, I am only here for trainwreck.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. It was one of the better post S4 episodes.

I think people are getting hung up on the minutia. I presume there was some cutting in the editing room that would have put some people at ease, especially with regards to
Ghost, and Euron getting the jump on the dragons

It was an enjoyable episode with intrigue, action, and heartbreak.

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
lol at this apparently being one of the worst episodes ever and still averaging out at 7.5

Show must be graded on the Game Informer review scale or something

Nov 9, 2017
If that's true, that's awesome. That's not the impression I got, though.

Your thought would seem to make more sense the way it was presented. Jaime takes off when he hears Cersei is likely to be killed and Kings Landing sacked, not that she has a good chance of coming out on top and actually being victorious.

Jaime should have rode south when he learned that Bronn was sent to kill him on her command if his intention is to stop her, not save her.