Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Got a warning ITT early on for trolling out of anger but I'm ready to be serious now. Even if you're far away you have no idea where the abducted child is. You have no idea if you'll see them the very next time you leave your house. Turning off those alerts, unless you're bedridden, a shut-in, or anything like that is just being an irresponsible citizen.

I mean Jesus people.... If your child was taken God forbid, you wouldn't give an ABSOLUTE FUCK if you're waking up your poor old neighbors. A kid died y'all.

Jesiatha

Oct 27, 2017
IF you wake up, right? Since this operates on the same service that tells you if you're about to experience a natural disaster or military attack, not sure you want to sleep through it.

My phone can separately disable different tiers of alerts (extreme threats, severe threats, Amber alerts). I assume a natural disaster or military attack would be a different class from Amber alerts. I can't contribute anything valuable to the Amber alert system when I'm sleeping. Have the info on my phone when I wake up and I can use the information.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My phone can separately disable different tiers of alerts (extreme threats, severe threats, Amber alerts). I assume a natural disaster or military attack would be a different class from Amber alerts. I can't contribute anything valuable to the Amber alert system when I'm sleeping. Have the info on my phone when I wake up and I can use the information.
As was stated multiple times in this thread, not in Canada. The alerts aren't tiered here like they are in the US, so the toggles in your phone settings mean literally nothing.

So here in Canada, you get all of them or none of them.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
Good thing the folks complaining about this are you know...FUCKING ALIVE! Like holy shit!!! This one moment of inconvenience going to fracture the rest of your life like a mom losing her child!?

In about like 10 years of owning a phone I've gotten like 5 Amber alerts; calm your asses down!!!

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I can see an argument for better and wiser utilization of the system.

yes, someone is thinking about the children, but the way this particular instance has been reported, it seems like implementation could be better.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
You quoted one person with a relatively reasonable and nuanced argument, yet no mention of all of the other plain 'too late for alerts' comments. But you accuse others of ignoring, not reading, and drawing straw men.... the irony is too much.

One person? Multiple people have mentioned this and a large group of people seem to be willfully ignoring it. And you seem to be willfully ignoring them.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Now with all people being more vocal on social media we get an idea of how fucking stupid people really are. ANd how mean and selfish.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bumping this thread because I figured it's related and doesn't deserve it's own thread.

We had another Amber alert yesterday with a missing girl who was kidnapped by her father and it turned out to be fake. A couple hours later she was found about a 3 minute drive away with her supposed-kidnapper(father). As per usual it seems like there's a lot shitty responses from Ontarians, DESPITE the alarm working as intended. It made me feel sick to my stomach thinking another girl was kidnapped and it just made me angry seeing people complain yet again.

I'm a bit surprised no one was charged though. I wonder if the police were partly at fault or if it was the mother who was fully at fault. If the police were partly at fault, I can see why they wouldn't engage in pressing charges.

TLDR: this father basically got Swatted in an Amber Alert form

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Bumping this thread because I figured it's related and doesn't deserve it's own thread.

We had another Amber alert yesterday with a missing girl who was kidnapped by her father and it turned out to be fake. A couple hours later she was found about a 3 minute drive away with her supposed-kidnapper(father). As per usual it seems like there's a lot shitty responses from Ontarians, DESPITE the alarm working as intended. It made me feel sick to my stomach thinking another girl was kidnapped and it just made me angry seeing people complain yet again.

I'm a bit surprised no one was charged though. I wonder if the police were partly at fault or if it was the mother who was fully at fault. If the police were partly at fault, I can see why they wouldn't engage in pressing charges.

TLDR: this father basically got Swatted in an Amber Alert form

To be fair. I think this one may be a little valid. CBC had this article up but basically this whole thing drills down to:
  • The Couple had a really bad separation 10 days ago. They are still married and not yet divorced.
  • The Father picked the kid up from school, because it is something he had always done.
  • The Father was released with no charges after he was taken in for questioning.
  • The Father texted the Mother that he was going to be picking her up from school hours earlier
  • He didn't have his phone with him at the time, which is why he didn't see the alert
  • Supposedly there was "An Order" that he wasn't allowed to be released to the kid
    • Police initially backed it up. Then issued a retraction there there is no court order.

So, it basically all drills down to the fact that she lied to police to get back at him for the separation. Which isn't something that I like to claim lightly. But all signs point to this, and it is being corroborated by police.

Last edited:

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
The article doesn't say how many complaints the police received. Is this just another "a few people were being shitty on Twitter, let's make it a story," stories?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Does turning off my phone when I go to bed also make me a piece of shit? Functionally the same as people who disable them at night right? I guess since I don't whine about it that makes it OK
Turning off your phone at night isn't the same thing as disabling them on your phone.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
Anyone have any links to statistics on lives saved due to amber alerts?

Also very interested in the number of car crashes caused by them. On some models of phones, the alarm is really pronounced and long-running, so the number of accidents is almost certainly nonzero.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
We just had an Amber Alert in Edmonton (probably most of Alberta) recently, a little boy was abducted by his mother. Luckily they found him alive and well.

I will take Amber alerts any day, any time, if it helps people get found. It's a great system.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Does turning off my phone when I go to bed also make me a piece of shit? Functionally the same as people who disable them at night right? I guess since I don't whine about it that makes it OK
Are you turning your phone off at night specifically to skip the Amber Alerts? Or are you turning your phone off to stop any and all notifications? The answer to this answers your question.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The latest alerte happened early in the evening what are people complaining about this time

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Also very interested in the number of car crashes caused by them. On some models of phones, the alarm is really pronounced and long-running, so the number of accidents is almost certainly nonzero.
I don't see why the alarm would cause an accident. If someone is paying attention to the road and hears the alarm, that shouldn't be enough to distract them from focusing on the road.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Had an Amber Alert Michigan just before before midnight last week for some place way up in the UP, came up once and then shortly after came up again, some people apparently got it several more times over the night and into the morning, way after the kid was thankfully recovered. Multiple alerts was the fault of carriers, if I hadn't already been awake the successive ones after he was safe would've been really annoying.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never understood why the alert is so loud. Just send a normal notification with a normal sound (can't be silenced). If I'm awake I will react to it. If I'm asleep I am unlikely to get woken up by a normal sound, but then again I'm not in a position to be looking for the child in the first place.

Oct 27, 2017

Per DOJ Reports

Of the 195 AMBER Alerts issued from Jan. 1, 2017, to Dec. 31, 2017, 193 cases resulted in a recovery, 39 of which were successfully recovered as a direct result of an AMBER Alert being issued. As of Feb. 26, 2018, when statistics for this report were finalized, for the AMBER Alerts issued in 2017, two children remained actively missing and six children were located deceased

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
This thread still a shit heap?

*sees more people complaining about Amber Alerts*

Yep still a shit heap.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I never understood why the alert is so loud. Just send a normal notification with a normal sound (can't be silenced). If I'm awake I will react to it. If I'm asleep I am unlikely to get woken up by a normal sound, but then again I'm not in a position to be looking for the child in the first place.
Probably because there's a significant number of people who actually do need a loud sound to pay attention. Not everyone has perfect hearing and not everyone is a light sleeper. People asleep also might have encountered the victim earlier in the day and think nothing of it until they're warned.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The article doesn't say how many complaints the police received. Is this just another "a few people were being shitty on Twitter, let's make it a story," stories?
More than just twitter. People were calling 9-1-1 and making complaints using it.... an emergency services phoneline.

According to the article linked at the bottom 383 complaints were made to 9-1-1.... and that's just in one police Region that serves 3 cities. That's like 125 pointless calls per City.

Here's a sample of the stupid from an article I came across. Next time these people need to get charged with a fine.
• "No one can watch TV until this child is found. This will destroy our program, you can't take away TV completely, it has to be secondary"
• "You have an Amber Alert that I can't get off my TV"
• "How can I make a complaint about you guys abusing the National Emergency System?"
• "She's with her father. I don't think this is a national emergency."
• "This is an invasion of my privacy."
• "We are trying to watch the Leaf game."

https://www.bramptonguardian.com/ne...alls-from-mississauga-and-brampton-residents/

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

yeah wouldn't want that sort of sound while driving. like an ambulance or fire engine. dangerous!