• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, you really didn't like Stardust Crusaders...

As for JoJolion, I am not really sure what the main theme is. I haven't heard of a main villain either.
I've warmed up to it, but i like phantom blood and battle tendency way more than it

JoJolion's themes and main villain are... complicated, i'd need to explain in the manga thread because it's something way more complex than anything jojo ever made

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
something that just struck me: Spice Girl would be a perfect match-up for Secco. He wouldn't be able to use recoil because all his surfaces would become soft and pliable and just squish his momentum into nothing, and who knows how her ability would work on substances he's turned liquid.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
something that just struck me: Spice Girl would be a perfect match-up for Secco. He wouldn't be able to use recoil because all his surfaces would become soft and pliable and just squish his momentum into nothing, and who knows how her ability would work on substances he's turned liquid.
That's a wild thought actually, that could've been an incredible fight.

Secco already gave us a sendoff confrontation for Bucci though which in itself is good enough

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
That's a wild thought actually, that could've been an incredible fight.

Secco already gave us a sendoff confrontation for Bucci though which in itself is good enough
Oh I absolutely understand why it needed to be Bucci at that point, since it directly leads into his (seeming) final moments, but it's unfortunate there weren't an additional fight that could have fulfilled that role, since Trish was fairly underutilized.

I can't really complain because this part is full of so many quality elaborate fights and there are too many main characters for them all to have equal prominence, but i'm just realizing that those two powersets would have made for an interesting encounter potentially.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
re different jojo parts, i've come to the realization that they are absolutely completely different genres from part to part. The absurd hammy bigger than reality gothic melodrama of part 1 is so different from the wacky battle adventures of part 2, part 3 feels closest to a contemporary anime's tone, 4 is the same but for a more slice of life type thing, and 5 is literally all the trappings of a gangster story but with superpowers.

it's very difficult for me to directly rank them because of that, tho i def like some more than others.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
re different jojo parts, i've come to the realization that they are absolutely completely different genres from part to part. The absurd hammy bigger than reality gothic melodrama of part 1 is so different from the wacky battle adventures of part 2, part 3 feels closest to a contemporary anime's tone, 4 is the same but for a more slice of life type thing, and 5 is literally all the trappings of a gangster story but with superpowers.

it's very difficult for me to directly rank them because of that, tho i def like some more than others.

Reminds me of that me I saw a long time ago displaying the various parts as posters of the movies most similar to them:

ram-stokersthe-ost-secrets-i-dra-cula-the-detective-you-44177038.png

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Not going to read the thread, but I'm finally going to catch up on JoJo. A couple years ago I watched the first two arcs at a friend's place and forgot about it.

I miss the original theme songs though. Nothing gets me more pumped to keep watching JoJo than a guy singing his name with 1000% effort!

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Not going to read the thread, but I'm finally going to catch up on JoJo. A couple years ago I watched the first two arcs at a friend's place and forgot about it.

I miss the original theme songs though. Nothing gets me more pumped to keep watching JoJo than a guy singing his name with 1000% effort!
,Come back when you're done!
And...
SONO CHI NO SADAME

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Just so he doesnt have to read this post
Reminds me of that me I saw a long time ago displaying the various parts as posters of the movies most similar to them:

ram-stokersthe-ost-secrets-i-dra-cula-the-detective-you-44177038.png
Jojolion is so wrong now lol well not wrong but there are better fits
Thats awesome, too bad green day was a thing :(

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017

don't worry, they make sure to say "jojo" as much as possible in most of the future ones.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
don't worry, they make sure to say "jojo" as much as possible in most of the future ones.

So by season 3 it seems the show is super self aware about itself. Is that why there's always one person a season that says JoJo as fast as humanly possible?

Also grandpa JoJo yelling in English gives me life. "Oh no!" "Oh my god!" "Oh shit!"

I'm gonn miss that too.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
So by season 3 it seems the show is super self aware about itself. Is that why there's always one person a season that says JoJo as fast as humanly possible?

Also grandpa JoJo yelling in English gives me life. "Oh no!" "Oh my god!" "Oh shit!"

I'm gonn miss that too.
oh i think it's always been pretty self aware, but yeah in season 3 they end chapters with characters making literal rimshot noises. so yeah, lol. each part has its own way of handling that kind of stuff

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
oh i think it's always been pretty self aware, but yeah in season 3 they end chapters with characters making literal rimshot noises. so yeah, lol. each part has its own way of handling that kind of stuff

I'm not breaking any news, but obviously the show is super referential. But there are occasional names that don't sound like anything recognizable. Is that because sometimes it's just a random name or is it the subs not getting it right for translation?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not breaking any news, but obviously the show is super referential. But there are occasional names that don't sound like anything recognizable. Is that because sometimes it's just a random name or is it the subs not getting it right for translation?
The crunchyroll subs deliberately change a lot of music references to nonsense alternatives to dodge american copyright lawyers.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
i watched the babyface fight again and noticed some shot reuse of the moment where giorno tells buccarati he's going to "dispose of him". never saw that before. that panel works really well at those moments tho

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
part 3 is where the legal issues with using referential names start to become obvious. they intentionally translate them differently to avoid those problems, though the japanese VA says the original names still usually.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
i watched the babyface fight again and noticed some shot reuse of the moment where giorno tells buccarati he's going to "dispose of him". never saw that before. that panel works really well at those moments tho
They fixed that in the blu ray, as well as most of white album(which didnt really need but i appreciated it)

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
The fuck was 3,even. 2 was the gravity stuff right
No, 2 was the sounds affecting the stuff, likw you do a boiling sound and stuff boils, 1 activates sounds when you touch them in the wall, 3 is gravity.
2 is the most useful one

I think someone explained them as "the sound of words","the meaning of words" and "the weight of words"

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Looking for consistent logic in Jojo is a sure way to go insane, especially for next season.
i dont understand the whole thing of getting mad at inconsistencies and the araki forgot meme. its clear he enjoys flipping your expectations on their head and redefining what is possible at every conceivable turn.

a lot of the reaction/breakdown YouTube accounts i see get so bogged down in little things and actually aggressive as though they were promised/owed a simple and bland series of battles that play out in predictable ways.

the only consistency that matters is that things in jojo work the way they work. new things with new rules are constantly being introduced, and you can't expect those to follow the old rules, and the new rules are literally supposed to be bullshit things you can't anticipate.

it's the writing trick of sherlock holmes applied to superheroes: the writer starts with a result, and then the characters get there through a series of actions or deductions the writer determines. this ensures that the leaps of logic and cause and effect can be as outlandish as possible, because the author is deciding where they will end up ahead of time, rather than considering the most logical and predictable possible result for a character's actions.

the function of the world and elements within it follow What Would Be Cool, and there is no excuse that is off the table in service of justifying What Would Be Cool.

It makes me wonder what some people who're weirdly critical and bitter now even thought jojo was about, seeing as these things have been hyper evident from the very first arc ending in the joestar mansion fire.

I bet a lot of them have not read Sherlock Holmes.

EDIT:

EAPPUrLVUAAdjsl.jpg

from a holmes story about a kidnapping, where everyone is trying to figure out which direction the kidnappers took their prey. holmes realizes they actually never went anywhere.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
i dont understand the whole thing of getting mad at inconsistencies and the araki forgot meme. its clear he enjoys flipping your expectations on their head and redefining what is possible at every conceivable turn.

a lot of the reaction/breakdown YouTube accounts i see get so bogged down in little things and actually aggressive as though they were promised/owed a simple and bland series of battles that play out in predictable ways.

the only consistency that matters is that things in jojo work the way they work. new things with new rules are constantly being introduced, and you can't expect those to follow the old rules, and the new rules are literally supposed to be bullshit things you can't anticipate.

it's the writing trick of sherlock holmes applied to superheroes: the writer starts with a result, and then the characters get there through a series of actions or deductions the writer determines. this ensures that the leaps of logic and cause and effect can be as outlandish as possible, because the author is deciding where they will end up ahead of time, rather than considering the most logical and predictable possible result for a character's actions.

the function of the world and elements within it follow What Would Be Cool, and there is no excuse that is off the table in service of justifying What Would Be Cool.

It makes me wonder what some people who're weirdly critical and bitter now even thought jojo was about, seeing as these things have been hyper evident from the very first arc ending in the joestar mansion fire.

I bet a lot of them have not read Sherlock Holmes.

EDIT:

EAPPUrLVUAAdjsl.jpg

from a holmes story about a kidnapping, where everyone is trying to figure out which direction the kidnappers took their prey. holmes realizes they actually never went anywhere.
The only consistent logic in Jojo is that there really isn't any. Like I'm probably one of the least critical of Jojo when it comes to this. Minus a couple of key things next season I can mostly roll with it. I just have a couple of problems regarding how a couple of things are executed. I still love the part though minus a character. Also Part 5 my favorite and this part's bonkers.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to waste my time wondering stuff like "why does dio have Joseph's stand at the beginning of part 3?" But then I read araki's manga writing book where he says it's fine to abandon ideas without explaining them if you think it makes for a better story and I stopped worrying about it.

Oct 25, 2017
I used to waste my time wondering stuff like "why does dio have Joseph's stand at the beginning of part 3?" But then I read araki's manga writing book where he says it's fine to abandon ideas without explaining them if you think it makes for a better story and I stopped worrying about it.
Im pretty sure the explanation was that was also Jonathan's stand, but its a better Hermit in a similar fashion as Jonathan being a more skilled hamon user

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands

True that's healthier for the mind.

That's what an art book said over a decade later but I'm pretty sure the real answer is the The World was originally supposed to have multiple abilities lol

It's good to remind ourselves that stands used to be based on the arcana in fortune telling and the world is when the journey of the fool is at its end.

But Araki probably thought that would be too predictable and dull. Keeping Dio literally in the dark at least gave him time to develop ideas.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finished catching up on the anime last night. Maybe it's just that Part 5 is Stand-based again, but it kinda feels like it's riffing off a lot of elements from Parts 3 and 4. Giorno feels like Josuke 2.0, the villain kind of a mashup of Kira and Dio. The later episodes thankfully manage to get away from this, at least.

I'm surprised how faithful the anime adaptation is, keeping dropped plot points like the "bound with lips sewn together" thing and whatnot, even if it does make the show a bit confusing.

Oct 27, 2017
Finished catching up on the anime last night. Maybe it's just that Part 5 is Stand-based again, but it kinda feels like it's riffing off a lot of elements from Parts 3 and 4. Giorno feels like Josuke 2.0, the villain kind of a mashup of Kira and Dio. The later episodes thankfully manage to get away from this, at least.

I'm surprised how faithful the anime adaptation is, keeping dropped plot points like the "bound with lips sewn together" thing and whatnot, even if it does make the show a bit confusing.
i always assumed that the lips thing was just him being a psycho and nothing to do with his ability

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Caught up on the anime today, and also just started reading Stone Ocean ( It's my first manga, getting use to the reading template is hard aha. Really loving it though. )

Part 5 is probably my favourite all in all, but the ending I feel is worse so far in its build up to the other parts. 1 because we don't get as much time with the real diovolo , but two because, I mean....

Like seriously how the fuck does king crimson work. Like most jojo memes or whatever are phrases and stuff, but I thought people were over exaggerating. It makes the action hard to follow at times. It makes sense that he removes himself from reality sort of and is able to essential trim out time so fast forward it too a certain point, but man there's just a lot of 'wait what's he doing ? And How?'

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not posting a single bit of content about it but I'm 2 volumes into reading Part 7 and it is absolutely EXQUISITE

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
given that teeth are alive and giogio can transform his and bruno's teeth does that mean they both have false teeth or dentures