Superking

Oct 25, 2017
so i gots me a question

does the fact that the bandwidth is running at such high speeds give us any indication of how fast the gpu/cpu may be clocked? because my amateur assumption makes me think it would seem like a pretty big waste to bother having all that bandwidth if your gpu/cpu can't utilize it well

what, do i smell or something?

somebody answer this!

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I'm excited for it, but I really think people should lower their expectation of performance somewhat. I am assuming that these performance estimates posted by Neoxon are basically direct Teraflop comparisons (because expectations is we are talking about 2 Teraflop in handheld and 4 Teraflop in docked), but Ampere (the GPU architecture switch 2 is based on) has double the cuda cores per Streaming Multiprocessor by basically allowing their int units to perform like float. That's neat and dandy for peak performance but the int units would often be used as int anyway, so the performance being on paper 2x faster than prior gens do not really correlate to 2x.

We can see this in benchmarks comparing RTX 2060 to 3060, the 3060 has 2x higher Teraflops than the 2060 on paper because that's how high it can go, but in practice it'll run about 10~20% faster in games.

Basically all I'm saying is comparing teraflops between Ampere (and therefor switch 2) and the home consoles to measure performance doesn't really work, we'll need to wait for real world performance, but don't be surprised if it runs noticeably worse than Series S when docked (before DLSS).

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Sounds amazing, tempted to wait out couple games see whether they get ported to switch 2 at this rate.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
I will eat a shoe if Nintendo doesn't gut the potential capability of this thing in the name of battery/size/heat/cost

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DLSS has always seemed like a shoe in for nintendo since its inception. will be interesting to see how things end up performing.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
It's going to be pretty funny when Alan Wake 2 comes out for Switch 2 and it's actually comparable with current gen versions.

You'll get:

- Naysayers trying to save face by pixel counting and criticising DLSS as "cheating" despite the competition relying on technology such as FSR.
- People who actually knew it was capable enough to "look good enough" who sit there smugly
- People who were remaining neutral until results come in being really shocked at how well a tiny handheld performs.

And naturally there'll be a picture of a PS5, a Xbox Series X, a Series S and a Switch 2 stacked on one another to make a point about punching above its weight.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
It's going to be pretty funny when Alan Wake 2 comes out for Switch 2 and it's actually comparable with current gen versions.

You'll get:

- Naysayers trying to save face by pixel counting and criticising DLSS as "cheating" despite the competition relying on technology such as FSR.
- People who actually knew it was capable enough to "look good enough" who sit there smugly
- People who were remaining neutral until results come in being really shocked at how well a tiny handheld performs.

And naturally there'll be a picture of a PS5, a Xbox Series X, a Series S and a Switch 2 stacked on one another to make a point.
And you'll also get me thinking "Welcome back Nintendo GameCube" as the Switch 2 would be the console punching well above it's weight despite its form factor.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
What's the over/under on this potentially running Monster Hunter Wilds (I am coping)? Maybe Capcom will push a 60fps patch for Monster Hunter Rise (EXTREME COPE).

I know it's too early to speculate about these things, but this news is making it harder and harder to wait.

Nate said on fami that it will be more than capable.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Zelda is actually one of the few Ninty IPs I dont rly care for. But it will for sure be a visual showcase.
Oh yeah there's plenty of games to play I'm just a visual guy so a lot of the games I couldn't play because they just weren't there for me either performance wise or visually. Bayo 3 is another one, I actually legitimately want to play. I'm just curious on what they plan to do with back compatible titles. I feel like they could really just resell games with enhancements if they wanted to, but I don't know Nintendo's methods for this kind of thing historically.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Gimme. These specs are good enough for me, especially docked. Hopefully it can support massive SD cards for additional storage.

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
Luigi's Mansion and Mario Kart 9 might look like the movie with how good they both looked on dramatically weaker hardware

u_neek

Oct 28, 2017
Anything above PS4Pro levels is more than fine with me. Can't wait to see the next 3D Mario and Zelda 🥲

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
Promising for sure. This is gonna sound strange, but I hope Nintendo don't change too much in their approach to development just to be able to push the visual fidelity allowed by this upgrade. Of course I want better visual fidelity, but I also want sustainable team sizes and development times. So more than anything I hope that this allows us to get more Nintendo games at 60 FPS at higher resolutions and decent AA, not that they start chasing high-end PS5/XSX game fidelity but take much longer to get and with the same kind of framerate issues some Switch 1 games have had.

Like, we know that mainline Pokémon will still look like ass on it from a fidelity perspective, but now perhaps the hardware will be good enough to brute force that code to run at a decent performance.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Promising for sure. This is gonna sound strange, but I hope Nintendo don't change too much in their approach to development just to be able to push the visual fidelity allowed by this upgrade. Of course I want better visual fidelity, but I also want sustainable team sizes and development times. So more than anything I hope that this allows us to get more Nintendo games at 60 FPS at higher resolutions and decent AA, not that they start chasing high-end PS5/XSX game fidelity but take much longer to get and with the same kind of framerate issues some Switch 1 games have had.

Like, we know that mainline Pokémon will still look like ass on it from a fidelity perspective, but now perhaps the hardware will be good enough to brute force that code to run at a decent performance.

It's not strange. I'm with you and I'm sure many others are too. I think Nintendo are probably sensible enough to not go over the top and chase pixels so to speak and plan their projects accordingly. I think when they developed BOTW they developed it with a break even figure of 3 million sold and I'm sure that they will still have those lines in mind.

Agree with the sentiment. I always felt Microsoft could have just released the series S. Can play the likes of AC Valhalla and RDR2 at 60fps. We never really needed more.

Nov 21, 2017
Oof these specs are garbage but then again Switch 1 specs were weak too. So long as it has a few exclusives that interests me I'll pick one up eventually just like I did with Switch 1. Switch 2 will pretty much be just a secondary platform for me same as the last few Nintendo consoles were. Heck I never even played my Switch in handheld mode just kept it docked.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Greetings! One question, I couldn't find that post, did he say this concerning MH Rise running at 60fps (shouldn't be surprising "more than capable" ) or was that really about MH Wilds?

Someone just asked if the Switch 2 will be able to run MH Wilds with these specs and that was what he said.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Not sure we just assume that Switch 2 will only use a miniscule amount of RAM for the OS. Depends on what their design goals are with it this time, they could easily use 3GB if they wanted to. Either way if that's the case, 9GB for games would still be incredible!

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Infinite Wealth and Metaphor on the Super Switch possible? Pog
a43f58cc1a0a78b73ef157e7af6a22e3d.jpg

This game probably even possible on Switch tbh
At least graphically the game doesn't look that impressive

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Not sure we just assume that Switch 2 will only use a miniscule amount of RAM for the OS. Depends on what their design goals are with it this time, they could easily use 3GB if they wanted to. Either way if that's the case, 9GB for games would still be incredible!
TBH I expect it to use the same OS as the Switch 1, just with some extra resources allocated so it's a bit snappier. Like MS has done with Xbox System Software. So it'll probably use more RAM on Switch 2 than on Switch 1, but not *much* more.

Darkreaver

Feb 16, 2024
Oof these specs are garbage but then again Switch 1 specs were weak too. So long as it has a few exclusives that interests me I'll pick one up eventually just like I did with Switch 1. Switch 2 will pretty much be just a secondary platform for me same as the last few Nintendo consoles were. Heck I never even played my Switch in handheld mode just kept it docked.

How is that? You call ps5 a beast. But when comparing it with a PC, it's also weak.
Switch was the strongest portable device at release, yes even stronger then samsung s8 that released 1,5m later (which is 3 times more expensive).
Switch 2 will be the same deal, but even more crazy when looking at the rumor specs.
Not sure how you can call them weak?

Seeing the difference from horizon between ps4 pro and ps5 isn't big at all

Knowing that the switch 2 is stronger and would be do a lot more with the nvidea chip like dlss and so on.

You need to compare appels with appels.
The only 2 weak consoles of nintendo were wii and wii u

Hanzo

Dec 10, 2023
Seems a decent upgrade, i guess it will be similarly powered than a Rog Ally, but with the benefit of being a colsed system, that will punch above its weight

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
System is gonna turn heads with what is announced for it and how it'll run.

2025 is gonna be so much fun.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
How is that? You call ps5 a beast. But when comparing it with a PC, it's also weak.
Switch was the strongest portable device at release, yes even stronger then samsung s8 that released 1,5m later (which is 3 times more expensive).
Switch 2 will be the same deal, but even more crazy when looking at the rumor specs.

Knowing that the switch 2 is stronger and would be do a lot more with the nvidea chip like dlss and so on.

If you want to compare Apple with Apples you need to compare the tegra with tablet SoCs which nowadays are called M1, M2, M3 or the upcoming Snapdragon X.
The tegra was significantly weaker than the pendant of its time A8X which was superior in architecture and was also 1 gen ahead in lithography.

Nov 21, 2017

I don't play games on handhelds or mobile. So I don't give a shit if it as a handheld will be stronger compared to competitors on the market. I literally said in my post I kept my Switch docked so yes these specs are weak for me as I play games on TVs or monitors only. All that really matters though is the games which is why I will still buy one eventually just like I did the Switch.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017

lol, i legit thought the one on the right was the PS5 version (cause it seemed to have more activity going on in the water)

nah, just the wiii. the wii u was an actual generational upgrade

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
12gb seems decent, but probably won't age well. The specs look weaker then the steam deck, but will likely perform better due to being a dedicated console, with games being made specifically for the hardware.

This seems about on par with expectations I think given Nintendo's history with hardware.

If the trade-off was 16 GB of slower RAM in their budget, maybe they've made the right call. GPUs in mobile devices are basically bandwidth constrained (why put bazillion of GB if you can't feed the GPU cores on time ? ), the only company which has released a device with > 100 GB/s bandwidth is Apple in their Macbook Pros with a 192- or 256- or 512-bits which retail at no less than 2000€.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Am I reading this correctly? An XSS in the palm of your hands?
Would be crazy.

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
If you want to compare Apple with Apples you need to compare the tegra with tablet SoCs which nowadays are called M1, M2, M3 or the upcoming Snapdragon X.
The tegra was significantly weaker than the pendant of its time A8X which was superior in architecture and was also 1 gen ahead in lithography.
And all those machines retail for no less than thousands of dollars/euros at release. (And the iPad was 500€ at release). Not mentioning Apple is vertically integrated so no cut from another company to take into account for designing the chip.

gundalf

May 6, 2022
12 gigs of ram is such a nintendo thing

On a side tangent, since the M3 Apple also uses a 6GB RAM based config:
-18GB
-24GB
-36GB
And with that future MacBooks might finally start with 12GB RAM instead of the dreaded 8GB.

Still interesting to know why there are suddenly 6GB RAM chips? For sure I won't complain since it elevates the Switch 2 RAM from 8GB to 12GB.

Darkreaver

Feb 16, 2024

Tegra is not the whole story. I had multiple discussions about this. The gpu or cpu was to weak within s8 to run games like a switch 1 does. We also see that with fortnite running worse then the switch version. But again, i have talked with experts about this and thats seems to be the real deal.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
If DLSS makes up a core part of the system (which it likely will considering it has dedicated hardware for it) I'm not sure why so many people want it's use excluded from making comparisons lol like it's not some kind of cheat code, it's part of the hardware and overall design of the console. Why not arbitrarily exclude the CPU from comparisons and 6GB of the RAM as well?

I guess you can argue that without knowing it's implementation it just makes for an easier comparison but it also comes off a little like people not wanting Nintendo "cheating" by using DLSS lol

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Oh yeah there's plenty of games to play I'm just a visual guy so a lot of the games I couldn't play because they just weren't there for me either performance wise or visually. Bayo 3 is another one, I actually legitimately want to play. I'm just curious on what they plan to do with back compatible titles. I feel like they could really just resell games with enhancements if they wanted to, but I don't know Nintendo's methods for this kind of thing historically.

For what its worth I will maybe try BotW/TotK once Switch 2 hits. Mainly because I assume they will be very smooth on there and they are a different spin on the IP so maybe I like it.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Seems the rumors have been pretty on point for this. Will be a great device for sure and hopefully elevate image quality on bigger screens to an acceptable level. Switch looks pretty rough on todays giant OLED 4K screens.

It's also not going to be the miracle device some of ya'll want this to be. Don't get caught up in this, it's happening every single hardware launch and shakes out exactly the same way, every time.