Oct 30, 2017
If this is 400 USD, that means it will be 60,000 yen in Japan, pretty much killing its chances in that market. I wonder if Nintendo will sell it for lower there and region lock it.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
It's also not going to be the miracle device some of ya'll want this to be. Don't get caught up in this, it's happening every single hardware launch and shakes out exactly the same way, every time.

We see pretty clearly what the likes of the Steam Deck / Rog Ally and Switch itself can do - this is not some massive reach people are making its literally comparative with the rest of the current market.

You should expect a generational leap the likes of that experienced by every other hardware maker when we go linearly from one gen to the next on the same architecture. Being overly pessimistic to the point of ignoring reality is far more eye roll worthy than people having perfectly normal, well informed expectations

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
Chances on running all Switch catalog (BC) with better resolution and framerate than current Switch?

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
And all those machines retail for no less than thousands of dollars/euros at release. (And the iPad was 500€ at release). Not mentioning Apple is vertically integrated so no cut from another company to take into account for designing the chip.
The SoC is budgeted on Die size and lithography.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If this is 400 USD, that means it will be 60,000 yen in Japan, pretty much killing its chances in that market. I wonder if Nintendo will sell it for lower there and region lock it.
Would it die? I honestly doubt it. It's the only handheld console right now, it's the only platform that will have the next Pokemon. I definitely think Nintendo focusing it all on one handheld all but guarantees they'll never fail.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Japanese prices aren't decided by how the Yen and USD compare. Switch OLED is $350 in the US and ¥37,980 in Japan instead of ¥54,496.
They aren't going to region lock it either.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Seems the rumors have been pretty on point for this. Will be a great device for sure and hopefully elevate image quality on bigger screens to an acceptable level. Switch looks pretty rough on todays giant OLED 4K screens.

It's also not going to be the miracle device some of ya'll want this to be. Don't get caught up in this, it's happening every single hardware launch and shakes out exactly the same way, every time.

Having ps4 levels in the palm of your hands is pretty incredible to me - I don't have a steam deck so i havn't been spoiled yet, but yeah it's miracle for me haha.

To be honest PS4 levels is all we ever need (could argue series s as it plays those games at 60fps). Think we will be in for some good times.

Darkreaver

Feb 16, 2024
Having ps4 levels in the palm of your hands is pretty incredible to me - I don't have a steam deck so i havn't been spoiled yet, but yeah it's miracle for me haha.

To be honest PS4 levels is all we ever need (could argue series s as it plays those games at 60fps). Think we will be in for some good times.

I do have a steamdeck aswell. But be aware that switch 2 based on the rumors will much more lean towards a ps5 then a steamdeck. Yes the portable experience will be prob downscaled, but still a lot better then a steamdeck based on those specs. In the end, resolution wise, playing on a smaller screen compared to a tv helps.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
What are the expectations for power draw in docked mode? Do we think anything in the range of 20W-30W could be possible?

Level 7 Boss

Jun 19, 2018
This sounds very positive. To be honest I always buy Nintendo consoles and barely play them, but I use the Deck quite a bit.

Really exciting times in the handheld space and I'm looking forward to what Nintendo can deliver with this level of performance on tap.

Oct 30, 2017
Why region lock it? They sell Switch lower there too. Don't forget shipping and import cost. They could sell it around 46000-48000 yen probably.

Yeah, you're probably right. They will likely sell it for around 50k yen, which means it wouldn't be worth importing it for most people since you lost warranty, etc for saving 50 bucks or so after shipping/taxes. Though I wonder how much it would sell in Japan at that price, probably doesn't matter for the first year since it'll be sold out anyway.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
I wonder if games can be run of faster micro sd cards or if the storage would need to be expanded via a 2230 ssd

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
Chances on running all Switch catalog (BC) with better resolution and framerate than current Switch?
Games with a dynamic resolution and/or that don't hit their framerate target might profit from the more powerful hardware, just like they do on an overclocked Switch right now, but they won't suddenly render at a higher resolution or with a higher framerate than what they were initially made for. That will require a patch.

The only general improvement I could see happening is that Switch games could run in docked mode while being played portably. But some games break when doing that because they expect detached joycons or other external controllers, so those would need to be individually patched as well. Nintendo might not want to make it a general option just to prevent any compatibility issues in the first place. Their approach to BC has always been pretty conservative, so it's best not to expect any improvements at all.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Ya, don't expect anything in regards to BC enhancements. This isn't MS or Sony and I don't mean that negatively, it's just not a priority (or hasn't been anyway)

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
What are the expectations for power draw in docked mode? Do we think anything in the range of 20W-30W could be possible?

Think it really depends on the cooling solution, the rog ally can draw 45-50 watts (35w on the Soc), the rig is bigger than the rumoured switch 2 dimensions but Nintendo could go 25-30 but I would expect Nintendo to play it conservative and be somewhere between 18-25w

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Max 20W unless Nintendo manages to thermally isolate the battery from the SoC.

Think it really depends on the cooling solution, the rog ally can draw 45-50 watts (35w on the Soc), the rig is bigger than the rumoured switch 2 dimensions but Nintendo could go 25-30 but I would expect Nintendo to play it conservative and be somewhere between 18-25w

Sounds like 20 could be the good spot then.

Where would that put the console in terms of max clocks, etc. etc.?

Also, do we know if they are planning any PS5-like variable clocks?

And what about handheld? Maybe 7W for Switch 1 games, up to a maximum of 15W?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018
Monolith soft are the giants on whose shoulders the tech of Mario Odyssey, Zelda and more are built on. There doesn't exist a studio more important to Nintendo and some Nintendo fans simply don't know what they got.
I'm not one of them lol.

I seriously got pushback when I suggested Monolith Soft had clearly helped the Zelda team during the development of BoTW/ToTK, which surprised me because their influence was so blatantly obvious.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not one of them lol.

I seriously got pushback when I suggested Monolith Soft had clearly helped the Zelda team during the development of BoTW/ToTK, which surprised me because their influence was so blatantly obvious.
That is the average Nintendo fan just picking and choosing what to hate on. These same people would dare say they helped on the Pokemon games when there isn't any evidence of it. Just complete nonsense sometimes.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Ya, don't expect anything in regards to BC enhancements. This isn't MS or Sony and I don't mean that negatively, it's just not a priority (or hasn't been anyway)

I think when frame rate is unlocked and you get dynamic resolution in games you'll get that. I do wonder however if Nintendo may make "4K" versions of legacy Switch titles, but for owners of those titles they get a discount, either by patching a physical Switch game (physical cartridge just validates that you own the game) or by checking your purchase history.

So if you don't own it on the Switch, that'll be $70, if you own it on the Switch, that'll be $10-$15 to get access to the 4K remaster. Or you can just play it as is with BC.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
These are solid specs, I'm not an expert, but for a handheld in 2024 with a budget these are impressive.

Hopefully Gamefreak can take full advantage of this.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
These are solid specs, I'm not an expert, but for a handheld in 2024 with a budget these are impressive.
Not really? I mean we're still looking at an Ampere GPU launching in 2025 possibly on a 10nm derivative Samsung process.
Impressive for a 2025 would be using N3 packing 2x the GPU into that. As it is it all looks very Nintendo - using ~5 years old tech for their newest console.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
These are going to be years away imo.
The team behind odyssey release mario wonder and tears of the kingdom was released last year which it took them 6 years to create.
Mario Wonder is EPD 10 (who also do Pikmin, which is now partially outsourced to Eighting), Odyssey is EPD 8. In fact, it's actually been rumored that the big launch title is a new 3D Mario. And considering how long it's been since EPD 8's last big release, it makes sense.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I think when frame rate is unlocked and you get dynamic resolution in games you'll get that. I do wonder however if Nintendo may make "4K" versions of legacy Switch titles, but for owners of those titles they get a discount, either by patching a physical Switch game (physical cartridge just validates that you own the game) or by checking your purchase history.

So if you don't own it on the Switch, that'll be $70, if you own it on the Switch, that'll be $10-$15 to get access to the 4K remaster. Or you can just play it as is with BC.
But what if clocks are exactly the same in BC mode? I imagine there won't be any improvements then?

Hopefully Gamefreak can take full advantage of this.
They need to take full advantage of the Switch first, lol

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Not really? I mean we're still looking at an Ampere GPU launching in 2025 possibly on a 10nm derivative Samsung process.
Impressive for a 2025 would be using N3 packing 2x the GPU into that. As it is it all looks very Nintendo - using ~5 years old tech for their newest console.

Typical Nintendo wanting to sell a profitable $400 mass market device instead of a niche $800 one. Idiots

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
Mario Wonder is EPD 10 (who also do Pikmin, which is now partially outsourced to Eighting), Odyssey is EPD 8. In fact, it's actually been rumored that the big launch title is a new 3D Mario. And considering how long it's been since EPD 8's last big release, it makes sense.
Yeah I always get these confused, I hate how they are named lol.
What if we can plug in a SSD in the dock to access more games if the Switch 2 is docked? Would be nice.
What if:
2023-09-12-image-10-j_1100.webp

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I hope Nintendo goes all out with the patches/remasters in addition to the original new games.

I want so many games in 60 fps with DLSS image quality: Metroid Prime, Metroid Dread, Pikmin 4, Zelda Link's Awakening, Mario Odyssey …

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
If you want to compare Apple with Apples you need to compare the tegra with tablet SoCs which nowadays are called M1, M2, M3 or the upcoming Snapdragon X.
The tegra was significantly weaker than the pendant of its time A8X which was superior in architecture and was also 1 gen ahead in lithography.
Why? The Switch was considerably cheaper and smaller than the iPad..If anything, its closer Apple competitor was the iTouch, which the Switch trounced, and the more expensive Mini 4, which did had the plain A8. Also, TX1 was also the best performing non apple mobile soc for its time, its not like Nintendo could have used the A8X even of they wanted to.

And this in theoretical performance. In actual game performance, here's the Switch outperforming a Galaxy S21 in an actual game:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=waEcSrNPwEI