Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
more or less where people's hype is at sometimes and it'll IMO crash the same way; this thing seems good but man people are overestimating it

I doubt it will crash 'in the same way' like with Wii U speculation. I don't even remember if prospective specs from one of the hardware makers leaked for the Wii U like they have with T239. We've had these GPU/CPU specs and API documentation for more than a year now and the consensus has been a PS4+ machine that has less horsepower than the current gen home consoles (because of course). The people who are claiming that this will match or exceed the Series S are not the same people who have been combing over the specs for years. For some reason a flood of people have learned about these specs yesterday (even though the only new information was RAM, storage, and a mic) and there is some overexcitement at the moment. But in the last two years I've participated in this speculation we have some idea of the ballpark and not enough information (e.g. clock speeds) to actually say where it lands on the PS4 Pro to Series S scale.

Darkreaver

Feb 16, 2024
Yea steam deck 2 will be coming 1 year after switch 2 though so the switch 2 specs will look impressive for 1 year atleast lol

I buy Nintendo hardware for Nintendo games though so doesn't really matter

I dont think it will. Valve told a year ago about 3 a 4 years before a new one. So dont get your hopes up. Also, if it will be as good as switch 2, at what price? The steamdeck oled is already expensive. Lol (i own a steamdeck btw as second device because of many reasons)

switch 2 will be a safe bet. Im sure that nintendo made a great deal with nvidea and others to sell it at a lower price.

Kapote

Jul 3, 2019
Man, even base PS4 graphics on a handheld gets me salivating. That gen had Uncharted 4, God of War, HZD, RDR2, Elden Ring and many more stunning visuals.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
This doesnt make any sense, might as well say: I am not a physicist so I dont care about physics, so why dont nintendo dont put PS5 pro specs into a handheld?
Where did I say that they should put PS5 pro specs into a handheld? What doesn't make sense are people who can't read.
Using N3 for a mobile SoC would likely make the chip smaller than it will be while the GPU would still have twice the units.
The question of cost is something for Nintendo to think on as I don't have any insight into their cost structure or strategy.
However anyone saying that this would lead to layoffs and whatever else don't have either of those too, while we do have products shipping right now with such SoCs so it is clearly doable and likely can even be profitable for whoever makes them.

Generally speaking Nintendo is always too conservative with the h/w, and sometimes this results in consoles like Wii U - which no one would call a success - while sometimes it's a NDS situation.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think it will. Valve told a year ago about 3 a 4 years before a new one. So dont get your hopes up. Also, if it will be as good as switch 2, at what price? The steamdeck oled is already expensive. Lol (i own a steamdeck btw as second device because of many reasons)

switch 2 will be a safe bet. Im sure that nintendo made a great deal with nvidea and others to sell it at a lower price.
They said 2 - 3 years in 2023
So that would be end of 2025 - end of 2026

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Not really? I mean we're still looking at an Ampere GPU launching in 2025 possibly on a 10nm derivative Samsung process.
Impressive for a 2025 would be using N3 packing 2x the GPU into that. As it is it all looks very Nintendo - using ~5 years old tech for their newest console.
I personally think it's far more likely to be 4nm. 1536 cores is 3 times more than the SD. yes I know AMD and Nvidia can't be compared 1:1 but still it seems far to much for an 8nm handheld.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I personally think it's far more likely to be 4nm. 1536 cores is 3 times more than the SD. yes I know AMD and Nvidia can't be compared 1:1 but still it seems far to much for an 8nm handheld.
4nm would be great tbh but I'm not holding my breath for it to be anything but the originally disclosed 8N of Ampere.

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it will crash 'in the same way' like with Wii U speculation. I don't even remember if prospective specs from one of the hardware makers leaked for the Wii U like they have with T239. We've had these GPU/CPU specs and API documentation for more than a year now and the consensus has been a PS4+ machine that has less horsepower than the current gen home consoles (because of course). The people who are claiming that this will match or exceed the Series S are not the same people who have been combing over the specs for years. For some reason a flood of people have learned about these specs yesterday (even though the only new information was RAM, storage, and a mic) and there is some overexcitement at the moment. But in the last two years I've participated in this speculation we have some idea of the ballpark and not enough information (e.g. clock speeds) to actually say where it lands on the PS4 Pro to Series S scale.
Specs aside, there's also the good old thumb rule, which has been true for more than 20 years (yeah, with some technicalities here and there).
GBA -> SNES+
DS -> N64+
3DS -> GC+
Switch -> PS360+
Switch 2 -> PS4+

Darkreaver

Feb 16, 2024
They said 2 - 3 years in 2023
So that would be end of 2025 - end of 2026

Yes they said at least 2 a 3 years at the end of 2023.
While the switch is prob for the beginning at 2025.
So its 1 or 2 years at the minimum. However, when they released the oled, they repeated that the next one will be not released for a really long time. So it could taken even longer...

You dont even know when a new one comes, what kind of specs it would have. Also steamdeck beign released 5 years after switch. The comparing and hate in those reddit channel are ridicules. Its not realistic to think that a pc portable hw at a decent price a year after switch 2 release will beat switch 2, and if it would, it would be at a really small margin. Its a total different story. Also, nvidea mobile chips are been created to consume low battery unlike pc hw.

But lets not include steamdeck further into this discussion.

Last edited:

Chillz70

Sep 29, 2023
I hope the build quality is good. My switch feels like its gonna snap like a KitKat if i put any pressure on it.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Official Staff Communication
Knock off the derail, self-promotion and cross-site drama is blatantly against the rules. We aren't here for you to make money off of. You don't get to use Era to recruit for your own site.
Huh? So just talking about another forum is banned? Because I'm part of the other forum and most people talking about it aren't mods, they're not trying to make money, and there's no harm in inviting users to another site.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Huh? So just talking about another forum is banned? Because I'm part of the other forum and most people talking about it aren't mods, they're not trying to make money, and there's no harm in inviting users to another site.
No recruiting. It's that simple. That's the issue, talk about the site if you want but you cannot recruit for other sites on Era.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the build quality is good. My switch feels like its gonna snap like a KitKat if i put any pressure on it.

Over time I've realized how much the Switch feels like a cheap toy. I'm hoping for premium materials throughout the Switch 2, specifically with the Joy-Cons. There's no reason not to have full controller quality analog sticks and ergonomics this time around.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
4nm would be great tbh but I'm not holding my breath for it to be anything but the originally disclosed 8N of Ampere.
The argument against 8N is that then the chip would be too large for the form factor. If we assume that Nintendo is being cheap, then going for a higher clocked 6-8SM would have been as performant, consume less or similar power and be cheaper. If we trust the peeps that made the math, is a solid argument.
I hope its 4N, I think that other Samsung nodes are still possible. But I also agree that 8N is a real possibility,

Last edited:

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: continuing derail
No recruiting. It's that simple. That's the issue, talk about the site if you want but you cannot recruit for other sites on Era.

People literally just answered a question of where people went didn't they? If someone mentions IGN or Eurogamer will that get moderated as "recruitment" as well given those places also have their own forums / discussions?

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
People literally just answered a question of where people went didn't they? If someone mentions IGN or Eurogamer will that get moderated as "recruitment" as well given those places also have their own forums / discussions?
Right? It's ridiculous. Dunno why BDubs is graveyarding posts answering it. No one was recruiting or advertising. Wtf.

El meso

Oct 27, 2017
The argument against 8N is that then the chip would be too large for the form factor. If we assume that Nintendo is being cheap, then going for a higher clocked 6-8SM would have been as performant, consume less or similar power and be cheaper. If we trust the peeps that made the math, is a solid argument.
I hope its 4N, I think that other Samsung are still possible. But I also agreed that 8N is a real possibility,
Last digital foundry video, they mention 7nm from Samsung (3:55 Mark)

View: https://youtu.be/7vQNMXzkl5c?feature=shared

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Going "Oh Nintendo fans all left and went here due to drama that happened three years ago" isn't mentioning where the news came from, it's straight up recruiting for another forum by convincing people to sign up. Now knock off the derail.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Was the forum in question Famiboards? I'm so confused
Yes. And this feels like blatant overreaching by the mods because of the forum in question. Talking about reddit, twitter, etc isn't banned, but Famiboards is? If a mod wants to come in here and explain I'm all for it, instead of just removing posts and issuing warnings. Especially when the mod warning indicates that people are making money off of it when that is so hilariously not true.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
Yes. And this feels like blatant overreaching by the mods because of the forum in question. Talking about reddit, twitter, etc isn't banned, but Famiboards is? If a mod wants to come in here and explain I'm all for it, instead of just removing posts and issuing warnings. Especially when the mod warning indicates that people are making money off of it when that is so hilariously not true.

It does seem a bit weird, like I always assumed that going 'screw this place go here fam' was not allowed, but just mentioning where users fled to is kind of public knowledge at this point, I didn't even post here at the time and I'm still well aware of it since I lurked.

I just don't think that place is very good either, seems a bit childish at times, so I don't care either way. I do think the discussion should remain focused to the topic at hand, it isn't like discussing that place is hard banned, but there is a line somewhere.

Last edited:

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I hope its 4N, I think that other Samsung nodes are still possible. But I also agree that 8N is a real possibility,
The problem with this is if they'd be using 4N then why not use Lovelace instead of porting Ampere to a process it was never made for? Honestly some other derivative of Samsung's 10nm is far more likely IMO. Samsung is also desperate enough for customers to provide solid price cuts to someone willing to become one for the next ~10 years.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I really think them using some other random Samsung process node is a possibility. So many think this thing needs to use TMSC 4nm or Samsung 8nm and that its impossible to use anything else.

IIRC, there wasn't a definitive leak of the specs for Wii U's GPU (codename Latte) and even long after the console's release, it was unclear how many shaders the chip actually had (160 or 320).

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
There's some talk that the Switch 2 might actually do better ray tracing than the big dogs due to Nvidia's inherent advantage regarding RT, but it's also possible that the Matrix Awakens tech demo just became more efficient since it was first shown.
No one with a shred of sense will actually believe this.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Knock off the derail, self-promotion and cross-site drama is blatantly against the rules. We aren't here for you to make money off of. You don't get to use Era to recruit for your own site.
ERA is literally "making money" off of <redacted> by having users view and discus information from said website here. Doesn't that seem hypocritical?

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Is the 12gb ram true? That seems kinda low, right? Even by today's standards, why not just use 16gb (two 8gb)? Power consumption? Cost?

I mean, shit, ima still buy it but damn. Tech is moving so damn fast and to be locked in like that kinda sucks. Guess it is all about the games in their case.

Last edited:

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Is the 12gb ram true? That seems kinda low, right?
For a portable system launching alongside 4K consoles with 16GBs? Seems fine really.

Even by today's standards, why not just use two 16gb (two 8gb)? Power consumption? Cost?
Depends on how they hit that figure but generally it's always costs of course - either from chip size or memory chip quantity/density.
It is using LPDDR5 probably which could hit 12GBs on 64, 96, 128 bit buses.

Oct 25, 2017
Is the 12gb ram true? That seems kinda low, right? Even by today's standards, why not just use two 16gb (two 8gb)? Power consumption? Cost?
It's very likely a $399 machine in a world of rising costs. Even the choice of LPDDR5X 7.5 GT/s was very surprising given these are faster RAMs that also cost more than standard LPDDR5 6.4 GT/s.

12GB is more than enough, specially given Nintendo uses a lean OS with minimal RAM reservation. Not only that, 12GB is 2GB more than Series S. If we take into account OS reservation, Switch 2 (assuming 1 - 1.5GB OS reservation this generation) would have 2.5 - 3GB more RAM available than Series S.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
The problem with this is if they'd be using 4N then why not use Lovelace instead of porting Ampere to a process it was never made for? Honestly some other derivative of Samsung's 10nm is far more likely IMO. Samsung is also desperate enough for customers to provide solid price cuts to someone willing to become one for the next ~10 years.
Well, there's precedent as Nvidia and Nintendo did shrunk Maxwell for the Switch soc update.

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately it's a custom SoC. The choice of IP and node fall into the client and their goals. If the client objectives need a smaller and more efficient node, it will be done as they're the ones footing the bill. Choice of IP can easily be explained by TTM, Nvidia not giving access to future roadmap IP to external partners, being a derivative of the Orin SoC and thus reusing some key IPs, etc.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
My guess would be that it's because the Atlan platform was cancelled entirely. There is no Tegra to start from other than Orin with Ampere.

entut1

Mar 31, 2023
Going "Oh Nintendo fans all left and went here due to drama that happened three years ago" isn't mentioning where the news came from, it's straight up recruiting for another forum by convincing people to sign up. Now knock off the derail.
Recruiting by simply telling the truth when asked to for an already far behind us event? This wasn't needed.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
It's very likely a $399 machine in a world of rising costs. Even the choice of LPDDR5X 7.5 GT/s was very surprising given these are faster RAMs that also cost more than standard LPDDR5 6.4 GT/s.

12GB is more than enough, specially given Nintendo uses a lean OS with minimal RAM reservation. Not only that, 12GB is 2GB more than Series S. If we take into account OS reservation, Switch 2 (assuming 1 - 1.5GB OS reservation this generation) would have 2.5 - 3GB more RAM available than Series S.

Not really.....

It's not enough when total usage of ram, not just vram in a lot of games is just above it or well near 14GB.

So unless devs streamline the game for the platform they will have to make cuts immediately when I'm of the firmest opinion on a gpu like this why. Also each time they get near this limit they will be shanking their FPS, which I'm surprised someone else didn't factor in.

Fine is good if you like your post processing to be limited to medium or less and less of it.

Last edited:

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017

I would say it's 50-50 TBH. Its more of an explanation. Recruiting to me would more like "Click this link or the so-and-so boards guys to see what really happened type news or read more news. That ERA split was inevitable. Surprise TOF (other old forum) didn't split eons ago when it was the happening place to chat.