Oct 25, 2017
It's not enough when total usage of ram, not just vram in a lot of games is just above it or well near 14GB.

So unless devs streamline the game for the platform they will have to make cuts immediately when I'm of the firmest opinion on a gpu like this why. Also each time they get near this limit they will be shanking their FPS if they weren't riding the edge of this constraint, which I'm surprised someone else didn't factor in.
Like...they already do with the Series S to fit into the 8GB total RAM?
Fine is good if you like your post processing to be limited to medium or less and less of it.
It's a portable system at low wattage and performance. How pretty or well resolved your effects will be are going to be limited by the GPU first before the RAM is even a factor.
The most comparable GPU to the GA10F from Nvidia (RTX 2050/3050) are ~33% bigger than GA10F yet sport only 4GB VRAM@96/112GB/s. 12GB RAM@120GB/s is more than fine for such small GPU. And, again, a higher amount than the Series S, the closest console equivalent.

Oct 28, 2017
OK with everything that is known and the fact that I can't tell the difference between a ps4 and a ps5 game without being told what to look for. Games will look current gen to me?

is that fair?

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Like...they already do with the Series S to fit into the 8GB total RAM?

It's a portable system at low wattage and performance. How pretty or well resolved your effects will be are going to be limited by the GPU first before the RAM is even a factor.
The most comparable GPU to the GA10F from Nvidia (RTX 2050/3050) are ~33% bigger than GA10F yet sport only 4GB VRAM@96/112GB/s. 12GB RAM@120GB/s is more than fine for such small GPU. And, again, a higher amount than the Series S, the closest console equivalent.

Not in older titles, which there's no if nitnendo will be making more of on this device. Same for 3rd parties.

Your right bandwidth limits it but I've mentioned that various times in switch or switch 2 as the main limiter of the device doesn't mean there are other issues that can't creep in. XSS gets cut due to it's limits which are bandwidth and memory as devs have voiced their displeasure on.

Devs aren't happy to do the work and more work on these issue is less of them actually working on better parts of their games.

Oct 25, 2017
OK with everything that is known and the fact that I can't tell the difference between a ps4 and a ps5 game without being told what to look for. Games will look current gen to me?

is that fair?
Yes. Switch 2 can do anything a Series S can do. Just at slower performance. But, in terms of feature set, it stands toe to toe with PS5 and XSeries.
Show me some RT and I will be happy to play this on the go.
It has 12 RT cores, so you'll see RT being used. And RT will be used more and more as the generation goes on and developers learn how to take advantage of RT with lighter compute costs. Switch 2 will benefit a lot from R&D that is being poured into cheapening RT costs for Mobile SoCs.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. Switch 2 can do anything a Series S can do. Just at slower performance. But, in terms of feature set, it stands toe to toe with PS5 and XSeries.

It has 12 RT cores, so you'll see RT being used. And RT will be used more and more as the generation goes on and developers learn how to take advantage of RT with lighter compute costs. Switch 2 will benefit a lot from R&D that is being poured into cheapening RT costs for Mobile SoCs.

Yeah playing RT on the go even in minimal way is pleasing tbh. I may get very attracted to get the console if I see the Nintendo games having some RT.

Oct 25, 2017
Not in older titles, which there's no if nitnendo will be making more of on this device. Same for 3rd parties.

Your right bandwidth limits it but I've mentioned that various times in switch or switch 2 as the main limiter of the device doesn't mean there are other issues that can't creep in. XSS gets cut due to it's limits which are bandwidth and memory as devs have voiced their displeasure on.
I'm sorry, but I just can't understand what is being discussed. Objectively enough, Switch 2 will have more RAM than this generation baseline (Series S). So that's already one of the key complaints from developers out of the way. Bandwidth is lower than Series S, but it's not like Switch 2 will be matching the Series S in terms of performance because it's a 10W tablet. So it's a fine amount of bandwidth for the amount of compute power.
Devs aren't happy to do the work and more work on these issue is less of them actually working on better parts of their games.
But that's what they're paid to do? Otherwise no developers would be developing for the Series S, PS5 or Series X and would only be working for RTX 4090 PCs. If they have to release a game into X system, they need to accomodate for the system performance and specifications. And it's not like Switch 2 will have a much lower amount of available RAM for games when compared to PS5/XSX/XSS:

- Switch 2: 10.5 - 11GB for applications
- PS5: 12.5GB for applications
- XSX: 13.5GB for applications
- XSS: 8GB for applications

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Is Dragon's Dogma 2 is possible on this thing?

Absolutely. It's RE engine which is insanely scalable and this is a much stronger baseline for ports than the switch was for last gen ports. I would bet money a Capcom group of engineers were likely some of the first outside of Nintendo to work on whatever the tools are because Monster Hunter Wilds is 1000% shipping on it next year

Oct 25, 2017
Is Dragon's Dogma 2 is possible on this thing?
Without GPU and CPU clocks, we can't start discussing feasibility of X or Y ports. The Cortex A78 should be matching or outperforming the Zen 2 Core on the consoles. But, because Switch 2 is a portable device at limited wattage, it will probably be clocked at 1.X to 2.x GHz. If that's enough for Capcom to do a port with reasonable optimizations it's up to them.

At a surface level, the 8x Cortex A78, 12 SM GPU and fast RAM and Storage would manage to run it. But clocks are key.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sorry, but I just can't understand what is being discussed. Objectively enough, Switch 2 will have more RAM than this generation baseline (Series S). So that's already one of the key complaints from developers out of the way. Bandwidth is lower than Series S, but it's not like Switch 2 will be matching the Series S in terms of performance because it's a 10W tablet. So it's a fine amount of bandwidth for the amount of compute power.

No one' is saying it's somehow less I'm saying more would definitely help especially games that won't be hitting that bandwidth strain.

We can easily use a title like FH5 which runs decently even on XSS, even at 1080p. This device wouldn't be able to push harder despite the fact it could cause it would the system limit of ram well before it would kill of bandwidth to have no fps.

But that's what they're paid to do? Otherwise no developers would be developing for the Series S, PS5 or Series X and would only be working for RTX 4090 PCs. If they have to release a game into X system, they need to accomodate for the system performance and specifications. And it's not like Switch 2 will have a much lower amount of available RAM for games when compared to PS5/XSX/XSS:

- Switch 2: 10.5 - 11GB for applications
- PS5: 12.5GB for applications
- XSX: 13.5GB for applications
- XSS: 8GB for applications

I'm not debating if that's what they should do I'm arguing they should better spend their time.

Oct 25, 2017
No one' is saying it's somehow less I'm saying more would definitely help especially games that won't be hitting that bandwidth strain.
Agreed
We can easily use a title like FH5 which runs decently even on XSS, even at 1080p. This device wouldn't be able to push harder despite the fact it could cause it would the system limit of ram well before it would kill of bandwidth to have no fps.
Now you're conflating things. And somehow think 16GB is some golden standard. Reality is that even 16GB is a small amount. Hence why there's a vast amount of RAM savings techniques.
I'm not debating if that's what they should do I'm arguing they should better spend their time.
You're focusing on something that is such a little part of the whole development chain. Even if they had ginormous amounts of RAM available, they would still need to optimize various aspects of their games to fit into the system.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Now you're conflating things. And somehow think 16GB is some golden standard. Reality is that even 16GB is a small amount. Hence why there's a vast amount of RAM savings techniques.

They only do so much rt, pixel density and psot processing on complex or ultra levels always have fixed costs. I do not think 16GB is a golden standard when I wanted 24GB and mentioned as much in other threads, I stepped it down because costs of those modules is way too high to what I feel 8 would be. Most of us expected 12 or 16GB.

Engine design hugely impacts this a decent streaming engine doesn't have this worry engines that eat up ram do.

You're focusing on something that is such a little part of the whole development chain. Even if they had ginormous amounts of RAM available, they would still need to optimize various aspects of their games to fit into the system.

I'm only speaking on context given and avoiding generalization for that reason. You can't have ginormous amounts of ram available to console or pc users as most people are never going to pay the money that would start costing. Latency, ECC, and it being embedded also start driving up costs.

I'm focused on how FX, RT and pixel density costs can spike such a system and cause it a unnecessary hit. I'm in no way saying devs who have done an amazing job the last 2 gens can't adjust around it just they will have to do more work on it and less on things that matter. I'm not saying optimization is useless either but it's not hard to see why I may want the polish in the game to come more in the form of assets or qol vs pure performance well after the game is running.

Oct 25, 2017
They only do so much rt, pixel density and psot processing on complex or ultra levels always have fixed costs. I do not think 16GB is a golden standard when I wanted 24GB and mentioned as much in other threads, I stepped it down because costs of those modules is way too high to what I feel 8 would be. Most of us expected 12 or 16GB.

Engine design hugely impacts this a decent streaming engine doesn't have this worry engines that eat up ram do.

I'm only speaking on context given and avoiding generalization for that reason. You can't have ginormous amounts of ram available to console or pc users as most people are never going to pay the money that would start costing. Latency, ECC, and it being embedded also start driving up costs.

I'm focused on how FX, RT and pixel density costs can spike such a system and cause it a unnecessary hit. I'm in no way saying devs who have done an amazing job the last 2 gens can't adjust around it just they will have to do more work on it and less on things that matter. I'm not saying optimization is useless either but it's not hard to see why I may want the polish in the game to come more in the form of assets or qol vs pure performance well after the game is running.
Ok, I get your point. And I don't disagree: More RAM would be better.

I'm just saying that 12GB is good amount for a device that's is slower than the Series S and will be limited by power first and foremost.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, I get your point. And I don't disagree: More RAM would be better.

I'm just saying that 12GB is good amount for a device that's is slower than the Series S and will be limited by power first and foremost.

it's fine......

My copium wanted more.

It's more effective with what it has especially considering it will have decent ml upscaling. Be it hi fi or fh5 the titles could do a little more in some areas compared to XSS because has a better feature set or DLSS. Certainly could push easily towards 1440p you couldn't dare dream doing that in some titles or more this can cause of one it's best features.

If devs don't go overboard and stick to hig/medium instead of ultra/high they can get away with a lot on this device.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
The most important part to me is if I can play Switch OG games and they run better
Like will Pokemon run at 60fps smooth even if it still looks awful?
Can I finally play Xenoblade 3 or TotK at 60fps cause I've been holding off waiting for this thing to come out lol

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
The most important part to me is if I can play Switch OG games and they run better
Can I finally play Xenoblade 3 or TotK at 60fps cause I've been holding off waiting for this thing to come out lol

I'm not the only one who wants to see that Xenoblade insta upgrade on this thing if BC is in. The vids the will be crazy.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
What I suspect:

- Dynamic res games run at higher resolutions than you'd typically see on Switch 1 hardware without any extra work
- You're stuck with existing frame rates unless there's a patch

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
What I suspect:

- Dynamic res games run at higher resolutions than you'd typically see on Switch 1 hardware without any extra work
- You're stuck with existing frame rates unless there's a patch

DF has this fear IIRC. If there are no caps on the fps then it will go till the system strain itself again but by that point the game will be much cleaner on average and won't dip as hard.

The thing you mention about the patch is nintendo is upgrading some of their engines to do VRR and 240fps. The VRR and potential hdmi 2.1 have me very excited about what nintendo could flex or allow on decent displays vs typically not extending much to those with them.

Oct 25, 2017
It will depend if developers will issue Switch 2 updates or do Special Editions to take advantage of Switch 2 higher performance. Or how BC will be handled through the software layer.

It's quite possible too that the games will run 1:1 as how they run on Switch. Again, it will depend on how the BC layer will work and/or if patches will be issued.

Dec 21, 2020
People were saying it would have 8GB because Nintendo for a while now.

The only area I thought they'd really low-ball was the storage. But 256GB is actually reasonable.
I don't understand where this is a lowball, the next one up is 512GB and that's not in the cheapest of phones from what I can find here in the US. Quick Google search had one pop up at 800 USD. But I'm not familiar with Android phones enough like that to determine anything. You'll get a 512GB model anyway with an OLED screen years down the line :P

in practice it's ~2.1GB/s and has a theoretical peak of 2.9GB/s (2.1 is sustained) for Raw. Hypothetically speaking, compressed you can get >4GB/s of data and possibly 5.8GB/s theoretical maximum. The successor has a dedicated decompression engine like the PS5 or the Series consoles.

I wonder how much Android interferes with the storage's ability to hit the maximum since the in practice was on a Android phone…

Will be a shame if they can't make it 16GB of RAM. So many modern games are designed for 16GB of (shared) memory because that's what the SeriesX/S and PS5 have. Will make porting games that much harder.
They only give you 12.8GB and 13.5GB respectively, you don't get access to the full 16.

In the series S case, it's 7.5-8.3GB out of 10GB, but requires disabling OS features to get that.

Dec 21, 2020
The idea that the codename is "no name" feels a little off to me
It's not supposed to mean "No name" it's supposed to mean "No texture" or "Plain", but others have other liberal interpretations of it like "Dream Magnet" and some ties to "Zen Buddhism" or Arabic origins.

If you want to compare Apple with Apples you need to compare the tegra with tablet SoCs which nowadays are called M1, M2, M3 or the upcoming Snapdragon X.
The tegra was significantly weaker than the pendant of its time A8X which was superior in architecture and was also 1 gen ahead in lithography.
Only in terms of the CPU, the GPU was competitive for several years. Tegra X1 rocked everything in mobile land for quite a long time with the capabilities of the GPU even if it was worse in the flops department, thing was just more efficient.

Not sure we just assume that Switch 2 will only use a miniscule amount of RAM for the OS. Depends on what their design goals are with it this time, they could easily use 3GB if they wanted to. Either way if that's the case, 9GB for games would still be incredible!
There's evidence to suggest it uses the same OS. It's forked, but there's some evidence of a nebulous device.

The original Switch only drew ~11w for the whole system while docked
That's only if it's fully charged, if it is missing charge the TDP goes above 15W for the whole system.

The Switch OS actually uses 800MB. I would expect 1.5-2GB for the Switch 2 OS - which still leaves plenty for games.
There's no need for that significant of an increase.

It's not like you need a significant amount of RAM to have all the features people want considering even the PSVita with a fraction of the RAM has these features people clamor to. Same for the 3DS.

The goal of their OS (Horizon) is to be fast and not get in the way.

The 800MB is with recording disabled, otherwise it's 911MB. So, almost 3.1GB for games. almost.

Compared to tablets and smartphones, the Switch has a cooling system and the OS is optimized for gaming as a single task. That gives it a substantial edge.

Since we're seeing games like RE4 and Death Stranding on iPhone 15 now, that's the absolute baseline of performance we should expect from the Switch 2.
For the record but that runs at like 360p lol, and uses Apple's METAL API.

If they had wanted something better, they could have asked for current PowerVR and ARM designs and an OEM who is able to put it into a single SoC
I'm looking at products with PowerVR and ARM at the time (around 2015/16 because they need to design the board and the console) and none of them are close to half of the Maxwell in performance even at 900MHz. The Tegra X1 at 900MHx would obliterate all of them back then.

this comment otherwise makes no sense as they did just that and that's what you're getting now. Nvidia already has the GPU, and the software stack to create an API, and the ARM license, and introduce major industry shifting technologies, which is what they wanted that eliminates having to spend so much on a larger than needed GPU. It was them or AMD again. They went Nvidia that time.

I think it's going to be a front and/or rear facing camera for AR games and integration.

I do also think there's something going on with the new buttons on the new Joy-Cons - it seems like the scroll wheel rumors may have been legitimate. Nintendo has a long history of wacky controller designs.
There's zero shipment data for a camera and for anything like a wheel.

And all the camera features that Orin has were removed for Drake. Though to that last part it doesn't seem too limiting of a factor.

In any case, we have the joycon 2, the pro controller 2, the console shell, the soc, the RAM, the storage, the other sensors like heat, the fan, the microphone. But no wheel and no camera. Either those are late, or they simply do not exist and people are willing it to exist.

How will that even work for games in docked mode.

I don't think it's true to call it pointless; AFAIK the Switch 1's internal storage was faster than cart/microSD and depending on the game noticeably so. Anecdotally I saw the biggest difference in UE4 third party titles like SMT5 and BD2. It's good to have some storage medium on the device with a high ceiling

They down clocked it, so it was operating at a fraction of the max speed of the EMMc for the most part, but with boosted loading I think it was raised a bit and with smart compression too to get the most out of it.

I think it was 30-50MB/s or so?

The problem with this is if they'd be using 4N then why not use Lovelace instead of porting Ampere to a process it was never made for? Honestly some other derivative of Samsung's 10nm is far more likely IMO. Samsung is also desperate enough for customers to provide solid price cuts to someone willing to become one for the next ~10 years.
It has some features from Lovelace for some reason, which is otherwise similar and much closer to Ampere than Pascal and Maxwell were.

Not really.....

It's not enough when total usage of ram, not just vram in a lot of games is just above it or well near 14GB.

So unless devs streamline the game for the platform they will have to make cuts immediately when I'm of the firmest opinion on a gpu like this why. Also each time they get near this limit they will be shanking their FPS, which I'm surprised someone else didn't factor in.

Fine is good if you like your post processing to be limited to medium or less and less of it.
This isn't hitting PS5 or even XBox Series X tier complexity, so the RAM is fine for it. If it was the same exact performance bracket as the other two, an argument can be made that 12GB is little and 16GB is more preferred but at that point It's not a portable and it doesn't use LPDDR it would use GDDR or DDR. Considering it's a much smaller GPU and thus will not be doing the same thing as a much larger GPU that demands resources a plenty, it can get away with it reasonably well. Plus, you didn't say it, but it's a silent thought: the series S should not be used as and indication for a different console imo, it should have had 12GB though.

Main issue with the Series S is amount of memory, then the bandwidth, in that order. It doesn't help that this is partly MS fault beyond just giving it less memory but because the system wasn't ready, it's why you see something like the PS5 outperforming the Series X even. The API isn't low enough, some features just consume more space on AMD hardware (like the BVH) for some features, etc etc.

It was a recipe for "it's not enough", and then I think the Zen cores need more space allocated to them form the main memory to work out ok compared to an ARM core, but that's just conjecture on my part.

I'm 99% certain that's because Microsoft wants it to not do what the Series X does, which is supposed to be the higher end system and completely defeats the purpose if the low end is doing what the high end does. Second, that's a cross gen Xbox One game, it's not next gen exclusive, the Series S was meant to replace the Xbox one just like the Seires X replaces the One X. Series S is limited, don't get me wrong, but some decisions have no technical limitation and have a business limitation. :p

They want you to buy the series X.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018

is that fair?
It's clearly going to look current gen. Even the steam deck in a lot of game look current gen and it's clearly less powerfull'than the switch 2.
i really want to see how nintendo games are going to look on this console. a lot of switch game can look'already amazing with a good resolution boost.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
Those specs sound great. Excited to see what gimmick (if any) Nintendo adds.

- Camera /AR / VR features?
- The capacity to move the joysticks around the screen, and play games vertically?
- Or nothing?

CaptainBearTV

Dec 20, 2023
I'm not the only one who wants to see that Xenoblade insta upgrade on this thing if BC is in. The vids the will be crazy.

I mean you can watch all these crazy videos for these games right now on Youtube in 4k and 60+fps and with extra mods if I remember correctly.
Probably with WAY higher quality then what the Switch 2 will deliver.

It isn't like the Emulators never existed.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with this is if they'd be using 4N then why not use Lovelace instead of porting Ampere to a process it was never made for? Honestly some other derivative of Samsung's 10nm is far more likely IMO. Samsung is also desperate enough for customers to provide solid price cuts to someone willing to become one for the next ~10 years.
Ampere was originally made for tsmc 7 nm. There are data center ampere gpus on that node.

I'm not an expert on chip design, but Drake is made by the Orin team partially in parallel with Orin. Maybe it was just easier to keep it ampere. It's a custom project where power efficiency is a priority, so a 1536 core soc on 8nm doesn't sit right with me and a lot of other people. It was also developed on the same schedule as other Lovelace gpus. And Lovelace is not a big departure from Ampere.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
I hope Switch 2 isn't also VR... Would hate that. Games would look much worse when they use GPU/CPU ressources for that.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Switch 2 isn't also VR... Would hate that. Games would look much worse when they use GPU/CPU ressources for that.
They can continue to be more experimental through their acceosires and games like they did with Labo or Ring Fit Adventure.
Dont think they are interested in putting too many expensive gimmicks in the core setup/config. They paid a high price with the 3DS 3D Screen and the WiiU GamePad when they realized that the mases arent willing to pay premium for features that are barely used well in any games.

Big and better screen, more power, BC, new exclusive heavy hitters at a justitiable price is all the market really wants at this point.

Sony and the PSVR 2 just flopped and its been barely a year.

Oct 27, 2017
They can continue to be more experimental through their acceosires and games like they did with Labo or Ring Fit Adventure.
Dont think they are interested in putting too many expensive gimmicks in the core setup/config. They paid a high price with the 3DS 3D Screen and the WiiU GamePad when they realized that the mases arent willing to pay premium for features that are barely used well in any games.

Big and better screen, more power, BC, new exclusive heavy hitters at a justitiable price is all the market really wants at this point.

Sony and the PSVR 2 just flopped and its been barely a year.

I hope you're right!

cdudeachyut

Jun 4, 2021
This looks pretty good. I don't see how DLSS will help with small screen/resolution but it's gonna be a killer feature for docked play.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
This looks pretty good. I don't see how DLSS will help with small screen/resolution but it's gonna be a killer feature for docked play.

I was thinking most devs would aim for native 720p and use dlss to get 1080p. That lets them improve graphics and frame rate

Or native 540p even.

DLSS would help getting games to 1080p output (there is a reason SD has a 810p screen), while running more impressive effects. It even saves battery life.

cdudeachyut

Jun 4, 2021
I was thinking most devs would aim for native 720p and use dlss to get 1080p. That lets them improve graphics and frame rate
Or native 540p even.

DLSS would help getting games to 1080p output (there is a reason SD has a 810p screen), while running more impressive effects. It even saves battery life.
I see. I thought upscaling from 720p or lower res is very poor and not worth it, even with DLSS, but ig it's gotten a lot better now.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
However:
  • The ~10 GB of LPDDR5 at 7500 MT/s available to developers is 50% more RAM than the PS4 while also being ~50 faster than the RAM in the PS4
Won't comment on the rest but this particular dor point is not correct.

10GB of usable RAM would actually be double (100% more) than the PS4 (which was limited to 5GB).

However, even at 7500MT/s we'd only be looking at 68% of the PS4's bandwidth once you also factor in bus width (PS4 had a 256bit bus, double the Switch 2, so even with faster memory overall bandwidth is slower). It's also extremely likely that Nintendo will par back the memory clocks in handheld mode, just like they did for the Switch, widening the gap further. Whether or not any of that actually matters remains to be seen. Ampere has a much more bandwidth efficient architecture so it may not matter outside edge case scenarios like full screen alpha.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't hitting PS5 or even XBox Series X tier complexity, so the RAM is fine for it. If it was the same exact performance bracket as the other two, an argument can be made that 12GB is little and 16GB is more preferred but at that point It's not a portable and it doesn't use LPDDR it would use GDDR or DDR. Considering it's a much smaller GPU and thus will not be doing the same thing as a much larger GPU that demands resources a plenty, it can get away with it reasonably well. Plus, you didn't say it, but it's a silent thought: the series S should not be used as and indication for a different console imo, it should have had 12GB though.

Main issue with the Series S is amount of memory, then the bandwidth, in that order. It doesn't help that this is partly MS fault beyond just giving it less memory but because the system wasn't ready, it's why you see something like the PS5 outperforming the Series X even. The API isn't low enough, some features just consume more space on AMD hardware (like the BVH) for some features, etc etc.

It was a recipe for "it's not enough", and then I think the Zen cores need more space allocated to them form the main memory to work out ok compared to an ARM core, but that's just conjecture on my part.

Yes it will in some games as DF has left plenty of review on where these titles are currently hate to tell you this they aren't running ultra and max in every category. I'm not saying it will be 1 to 1 but if nintendo or 3rd parties want to curb the work they have cut out they can easily just match and not worry.

Yes it's fine, that's exactly what it is like 2 ply toilet paper

I'm 99% certain that's because Microsoft wants it to not do what the Series X does, which is supposed to be the higher end system and completely defeats the purpose if the low end is doing what the high end does. Second, that's a cross gen Xbox One game, it's not next gen exclusive, the Series S was meant to replace the Xbox one just like the Seires X replaces the One X. Series S is limited, don't get me wrong, but some decisions have no technical limitation and have a business limitation. :p

They want you to buy the series X.

MS wanted the device to appeal to consumers in lower brackets, they took the specs they could get and even 4 years back the flaws were there. They didn't have a choice in this device specs and had to stop altering it because it was too pricy.

GT7 and Fh5 are both cross gen they still are among the best looking and performing racing games right now on their platforms despite being cross gen. It doesn't change the fact that in that specific title you could get more out of a switch 2 if specs are right than you would an XSS just cause of dlss.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
12 GB of RAM seems pretty good for a system that many will only play in handheld mode.

I'm really hoping for no difference between the two options this time.