Darkreaver

Feb 16, 2024
I dunno, you seemed to ignore the "at similar settings to a Switch" part of my comparison. I do not believe for a second that Skyrim at 2 hours is the same settings as Skyrim Switch which would I assume get around 2 hours on the Switch.

Yes you need to limit TDP and FPS to get super long battery life, but that's just a tap or two away, it's built right in to the OS, which I argue means it's fair game when looking at battery life.

Sites like SteamDeckHQ exist for the sole purpose of reviewing games on the Deck as a portable device where you'd drop settings and framerate to get those 6+ hour battery life times on more demanding games. Sure on a Deck you CAN run it at 60fps and better settings than the Switch, but you can also drop those settings and double your battery life as well.

Like Octopath Traveler on the Switch is 30 fps. And low/medium settings too. On the Deck it runs at 2x the framerate, no drops, 60fps, with all Ultra settings. And battery life is totally fine. But if it's not enough? You can limit it down to Switch settings, and I'm sure it'd do better than the Switch.

Are you just playing these games at max TDP? I get more than double your battery life in Yakuza at 60. It doesn't need 15TDP.

Its not to compare it with a switch 1. To be honest, switch 1 is a generation older then steamdeck. Its 5 years in between. Im sure the steamdeck battery life is better as a switch 1 when you downgrade a more demanding game to run it like it does as a switch. The point is that newer games or games specially been used for the hw it has, the battery life is not that good.

Tests were executed having 90 fps. I did copied it from a site who tested the steamdeck og (60 fps) vs stemdeck oled (90 fps).

For playing older or tweaked games by lowering the settings (lowering what it actual can do), then its fine for its time. Its like what nintendo did with the tegra chip to gain battery life. Nvidea is really good in power consuming compared to other companies.
Specially with their mobile chips.

I dont see it as possible to run ps5 like games on a newer steamdeck having a decent battery life within 3 a 4 years from now as pc hw isnt build for that kind of thing. Even laptops with a greater space for a battery is mostly not great with new games. But again, you can downgrade them to improve the battery life.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I dont see it as possible to run ps5 like games on a newer steamdeck having a decent battery life within 3 a 4 years from now as pc hw isnt build for that kind of thing. Even laptops with a greater space for a battery is mostly not great with new games. But again, you can downgrade them to improve the battery life.

The thing is they can simply put in a way bigger battery. The deck is already a relatively chunky, heavy device but for the market it's aimed at it doesn't really matter. They aren't as restricted by size and weight as a Switch 2 will be.

A deck 2 will be as chunky / heavy as it needs to be to get decent battery life - the niche, enthusiastic market it's aimed at won't be bothered by it.

Darkreaver

Feb 16, 2024
The thing is they can simply put in a way bigger battery. The deck is already a relatively chunky, heavy device but for the market it's aimed at it doesn't really matter. They aren't as restricted by size and weight as a Switch 2 will be.

A deck 2 will be as chunky / heavy as it needs to be to get decent battery life - the niche, enthusiastic market it's aimed at won't be bothered by it.

I can't believe that even a bigger sized steamdeck is what people want. The current size is already to big imo. Its really the max that it can be for beign a portable device. Also, you should take price into account aswell. The current steamdeck is in range of what is acceptable. Other steamlike devices are not. Anyway, i dont want to keep discussing steamdeck in a switch thread. Just want to provide my opinion that i dont see this possible within 3 a 4 years. Also why you should not wait for it. Switch 2 comes in a perfect timeline.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe that even a bigger sized steamdeck is what people want. The current size is already to big imo. Its really the max that it can be for beign a portable device. Also, you should take price into account aswell. The current steamdeck is in range of what is acceptable. Other steamlike devices are not. Anyway, i dont want to keep discussing steamdeck in a switch thread. Just want to provide my opinion that i dont see this possible within 3 a 4 years. Also why you should not wait for it. Switch 2 comes in a perfect timeline.

Sure, I mean realistically the amount of overlap between these markets is miniscule anyway. If someone would be happy to wait for a Deck 2 because of potential performance gains in 3rd party software then I'd say they were never realistically going to get a Switch 2 in the first place.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Steam deck is not a mainstream gaming device. Remember, Nintendo's aim is to emulate the Switch. They'll pack as much as they can into Switch 2 to reach their target price.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Did anyone already estimate potential clock speeds? Are we expecting Nintendo to go with Switch 1 numbers or maybe, thanks to more modern architecture we can expect them to push higher numbers?

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Did anyone already estimate potential clock speeds? Are we expecting Nintendo to go with Switch 1 numbers or maybe, thanks to more modern architecture we can expect them to push higher numbers?

Current expectation is that it'll be Switch 1 numbers.

So will backwards compatible games be given enhancements?

No official word on any of this aside from Nintendo Accounts moving forward.

However, PH Brazil mentioned that physical BC is present and devs were given the ability to enhance games

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017

Not exactly. The short version is that Ampere gives you the most performance per Watt at around 550 MHz. If they were going significantly below that, it would have made more sense to use a smaller chip. This time the chip is custom made for Nintendo, so it is exactly the size Nintendo wants it to be.

If 8 SM at 550 MHz gives you more bang for buck than 12 SM at 307 MHz (switch 1 speed), the latter is completely illogical.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
User threadbanned: derail and meta commentary
Mod edit: seriously, knock off the swipes

Last edited by a moderator:

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Interestingly the Nvidia leak actually contained some GPU test clocks, seemingly for the Switch 2 SoC prior to it physically existing. They were 660MHz at 4.2w, 1.125GHz at 9w and 1.38GHz at 12w. Impossible to say if these are actual planned system clocks, though.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

No official word on any of this aside from Nintendo Accounts moving forward.

However, PH Brazil mentioned that physical BC is present and devs were given the ability to enhance games
It could theoretically be less if it's 8nm given how inefficient the process is, but it's likely being manufactured on a smaller node going by most of the other information we have about the Switch 2.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Interestingly the Nvidia leak actually contained some GPU test clocks, seemingly for the Switch 2 SoC prior to it physically existing. They were 660MHz at 4.2w, 1.125GHz at 9w and 1.38GHz at 12w. Impossible to say if these are actual planned system clocks, though.
They are most likely just for testing the relative performance of nvn 2. You make a change to code, did it make it go faster or slower than prior to the change? Only the relative difference matters. The clocks are likely arbitrary.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
That's the big question. If Switch 1 games just run in Switch 1 mode (like Wii games on Wii U) then not.

in theory a "switch 1 mode" would be pretty hard to achieve considering switch 2 won't share any of switch 1 hardware hence running at the same clocks cpu and gpu wise would still mean a much more powerful device, at least assuming they're using a translation layer to do the conversion on the fly which is pretty similar to low level emulation (at least from what I understand).

a likely situation is that games will be in theory at their max performance and image quality possible (so if a game has dynamic resolution, it would always hit the max limit and if the game has an unlocked framerate it'd probably always hit 60 in most scenarios).

Tho if a game has a capped 30 for example then improvements will be much less pronounced unless it's patched or it gets a full on next gen version.

Oct 25, 2017
Higher clocks due to a more modern process node. As we increase efficiency going with smaller silicon features, the v/f increases allowing for higher frequency at same power.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Switch 1 could also have higher clocks than 1GHz but it didnt, if I recall Nvidia Shield with same chip had 2GHz CPU.
2GHz was high for that CPU on that node. A78 clocks near 3GHz in phones on bigger/less efficient nodes. I guessed a bit over 1GHz assuming Samsung 8nm but if it's on 4N they should be able to go considerably higher.

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Switch 1 could also have higher clocks than 1GHz but it didnt, if I recall Nvidia Shield with same chip had 2GHz CPU.
2GHz was high but around 1.5GHz wanst..
20nm was a terrible node at higher clocks. Leakage would go crazy high. Shield TV couldn't sustain the CPU and GPU clocks at all. Battery Life and sustained performance were the reasons why Nintendo chose reduced clocks.

Oct 27, 2017
20nm was a terrible node at higher clocks. Leakage would go crazy high. Shield TV couldn't sustain the CPU and GPU clocks at all. Battery Life and sustained performance were the reasons why Nintendo chose reduced clocks.
Yeah, I recall reading that the Shield TV throttled like crazy at times because of its variable clock speeds which obviously meant performance could vary a lot. I can see why Nintendo went with lower, but fixed, clock speeds

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia shield is not a handheld device. Nintendo chose to use the same cpu clocks in handheld and docked mode, to have consistent game logic. They're likely to do the same with Switch 2.

The 20nm node really hurt the cpu clocks.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017

Thats true for 2GHz but not for around 1.5GHz,
actually hacked Switch was running without any problems at around 1.7GHz clocked CPU (yeah, little weaker battery and little more heat but was running games without problems).

Nvidia shield is not a handheld device. Nintendo chose to use the same cpu clocks in handheld and docked mode, to have consistent game logic. They're likely to do the same with Switch 2.

The 20nm node really hurt the cpu clocks.

No one saying otherwise, but my point is that Nintendo could easily clock CPU at higher clock than 1GHz but they didnt because they choose less heat and better battery life,
from same reason they will probably not go for 2GHz CPU clock on Switch 2.

Last edited:

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
No one saying otherwise, but my point is that Nintendo could easily clock CPU at higher clock than 1GHz but they didnt because they chouse less heat and better battery life,
from same reason they will probably not go for 2GHz CPU clock on Switch 2.

I agree, probably something like 1,5.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
On portable mode Switch 1 was 8-9 watts in terms of power consumption if im not mistaken.

I'm guessing switch 2 will be around the same, so how will the APU do with that power allocation?

will never use it docked

Pilot

Aug 29, 2023
Cologne (Germany)
I'm thinking about buying a Panasonic OLED TV, that has two HDMI 2.1 and two HDMI 2.0 connections. Do you think the Switch 2 will support HDMI 2.1? Then I will have three HDMI 2.1 compatible devices.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I'm thinking about buying a Panasonic OLED TV, that has two HDMI 2.1 and two HDMI 2.0 connections. Do you think the Switch 2 will support HDMI 2.1? Then I will have three HDMI 2.1 compatible devices.

If VRR based display or output is possible for the Switch 2, then an HDMI 2.1 port is necessary, so chances are most likely it's uses the current HDMI standard.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
If VRR based display or output is possible for the Switch 2, then an HDMI 2.1 port is necessary, so chances are most likely it's uses the current HDMI standard.

It shouldn't be seen as merely possible considering it was leaked nintendo is upgrading some engines to do it and 240fps.

I do agree on 2.1 considering it meant to handle that vs older spec which would limit bandwidth and output to 60hz eventually. We could see a 1080p vrr screen at 120hz in less than a year or two.

Last edited:

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Question for the knowledgeable PC people here.

I have a laptop (1080p screen) with a i5 9500h (4c 8t), 1660ti 6gb gfx card (1536 cores), 16gb ram and a SSD drive.

How would the switch 2 compare to those specs?

I'm asking because that laptop is very good for even newer games. I'm not playing much on that laptop but if I try a game on it, it runs it perfectly fine.

Was playing cyberpunk 2077 and it gets smooth >60 fps on high

Forza Horizon 5 on Ultra runs also >60fps

Same with Street Fighter V and Resident Evil 4 Remake (high/ultra settings, 60fps)

If the switch 2 could get close to that I would be extremely happy with that.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

I have a laptop (1080p screen) with a i5 9500h (4c 8t), 1660ti 6gb gfx card (1536 cores), 16gb ram and a SSD drive.

I'm asking because that laptop is very good for even newer games. I'm not playing much on that laptop but if I try a game on it, it runs it perfectly fine.

Same with Street Fighter V and Resident Evil 4 Remake (high/ultra settings, 60fps)

The Switch 2 likely won't match it in raw power but DLSS would close the gap to a significant degree.

Edit: looked up the 1660Ti, yeah, that will definitely beat even the docked Switch 2 in power, it's nearly 5TF. I would expect the games on Switch 2 to impress you with DLSS and console optimisations, as well as ray-tracing.

Oct 25, 2017
How man gamecubes is it?

Serious talk, how does this compare to a steam deck?
Depends on how Nintendo will clock it. But the GPU is way bigger than SteamDeck. If Nintendo does a moderate 500 - 600MHz clock, they'll easily surpass SD.

GPU probably weaker because it will be clocked lower than the GTX. CPU will probably be weaker ST (Clocks) but better MT (Switch 2 has 8 cores). But, regardless, it's a console with support for a modern feature set.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017

For FH5

I pushed mine pretty high, check that performance thread. Sure others could do more if they bothered with the CRU tool.

Ultra settings especially for terrain would kill this device. In general it would cause instability in big areas or the big city on the hill that is super colorful and dense as hell, love them sewer racers. I know people push the game and it's super nice to when you can but I'm an hfs whore and this game is something else at 60/80fps/120/fps. Nintendo could settle there if VRR rumors are true. You could lift most of mine and turn a few down and I would trust it more than most laptops or mid rigs I work on.

if they balanecd some setting high or medium except on reflections would go a long way. I'm more keen on what DLSS I could use if balanced or performance I'm think 800-1150p. Not an if either. Optimization would carry the game a long way. Be a good excuse for the team to finally do the engine right. geting RT and DLSS to work proper would be huge for FH or FM. This could be an easy excuse except MS is in stupid mode currently.

This game would be keen for a fidelity and performance mode.

Last edited:

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Even if it did, Rockstar's market still doesn't match up with Nintendo's. Putting the game on Switch 2 wouldn't be worth the investment.

Yes that is ture. I mean they did port over LA Noire, Red Dead and the GTA Trilogy to the Switch but those are of course very family friendly games very much suited to the 140 million toddlers who own the Switch

OP
OP
poptire

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If GTA VI released on Switch 2 and all the other consoles/PC, and the Switch 2 version ran OK but had worse graphics I'd still pick it up. The allure of portability is great.