Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Me watching

81N7FHr.gif

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Looks great! Finally something star wars related that I want to watch. I just want to see jedi fighting and doing cool shit. I never understood what was so hard about making something like that before LOL

Oct 27, 2017
Looks great! Finally something star wars related that I want to watch. I just want to see jedi fighting and doing cool shit. I never understood what was so hard about making something like that before LOL
The Ahsoka series had plenty of cool fights. I'd argue most of them involving her were among the best in live action star wars, aside from the ones in the last episodes

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
i've been trying to muster up excitement for this, but after all these mediocre Star Wars shows it's been pretty hard.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Love the guy getting hit by the table then bouncing back and hitting the table again.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
TV show formats, pacing, and budgets don't generally lend themselves to pure jedi action all the time. Also for every person who feels like you do there's someone going on about how the jedi are the least interesting part of Star Wars. They're juggling a lot of stuff with this franchise.

Starphanluke

ā–² Legend ā–²
Nov 15, 2017
Looks awesome and dynamic, something I can't say for the other SW shows outside of Andor. I can't wait for this!

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's certainly more headturning than what we saw in the trailer

It's got a steady cam (which tbh some recent movies could stand to remember to have) and you can see most of what's happening but also kind of unmemorable rn for anything besides the style itself. Hoping for more in the series

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
TV show formats, pacing, and budgets don't generally lend themselves to pure jedi action all the time. Also for every person who feels like you do there's someone going on about how the jedi are the least interesting part of Star Wars. They're juggling a lot of stuff with this franchise.

Tough needle to thread from the sounds of it. Seems like they are on the right track trying to be diverse with their tv shows then. I always forget so many folks are burned out on the jedi as the people in my bubble don't seem to care about anything else in the star wars universe

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I love you can have kenjutsu fights in Ahsoka and Wuxia fights in Acolyte. In that, Star Wars really shines.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely more interesting and well-choreographed than most live action Star Wars TV action. Really hoping this delivers

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Is it just me or does the fighting look a bit too choreographed? Almost like I can see the actor counting the steps. Doesn't feel right to me

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
This looks a lot better than I was expecting, honestly.

Granted, I was expecting nothing.

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice if you see it through the lens of classic wuxia fights in old movies.
It's just not exciting for modern sensitivities, as it never conveys a sense of danger on either fighter. There is barely any opposition/strategic measure to be solved either.

Can only surmise that the reason why the Master Jedi - whom very clearly is the sole target of assassination - remains comfortably watching, while all the other guys (staff? henchmen? random civilians?) risk their lives to stop her, is an indictment attempt on how the powerful are better shielded against the problems of the regular folk, or something.

I'm sure there will be better battles down the road.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Holy wow. They made a 3 minute long fight scene somehow be incredibly boring just by including the fucking Jedi into the mix. And the force grab there just begs the question: "why not just force grab the assassin, or her weapon? Why is she watching these people all get murdered?"

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or does the fighting look a bit too choreographed? Almost like I can see the actor counting the steps. Doesn't feel right to me
That's just the style, compare it to something like this:

View: https://youtu.be/fQTiADgBkS4?si=snSB5KQl03VSyOR3

With that said...this Acolyte scene didn't impress me as much as I hoped it would. The choreography is neat and well executed, but there's a layer of visual storytelling that feels like its missing.

It's just not exciting for modern sensitivities, as it never conveys a sense of danger on either fighter. There is barely any opposition/strategic measure to be solved either.

Can only surmise that the reason why the Master Jedi - whom very clearly is the sole target of assassination - remains comfortably watching, while all the other guys (staff? henchmen? random civilians?) risk their lives to stop her, is an indictment attempt on how the powerful are better shielded against the problems of the regular folk, or something.

I'm sure there will be better battles down the road.
Yeah this is what I was thinking as well. Obviously the scene will probably make more sense in context but the thing is, after what a shitshow Obi Wan was, its also possible that it...won't, and will be dumb.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
That one kind of depends I guess

If you've watched a lot of those older films you've got stuff like this rattling around in your brain

View: https://youtu.be/-zdAF7IfrSQ?si=d6ipXVPnM_y81uPk

Or of course Hero or w/e

Which I mean, Disney is never going to come close to, so it's unfair, but it's still there in my mind so it's not going to stack up

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow I thought the fight was great. Really surprised by the reactions here. Clearly there's not a sense of danger because the Jedi master is supposed to be better. Further down the line when the opponents are more equal I'm sure it'll be a different story.

Man now I'm just wishing Ezra fought like this in Ahsoka.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
The talent involved with this show really makes me think it's going to be really good tbh. I'm still shocked by all the negativity surrounding the show.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
That wasā€¦ surprisingly good.

A big improvement from previous shows in terms of choreography.

Super excited for this show now.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The setup to this fight is weird. Why does this master jedi allow the fight to go on for as long as it does? To the point where the baddie takes a hostage at knife-point? It's obvious from the get-go that she could incapacitate this person without a sweat.

Right, cuz then we wouldn't get a cool wuxia fight. I'm worried about the writing already.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
The setup to this fight is weird. Why does this master jedi allow the fight to go on for as long as it does? To the point where the baddie takes a hostage at knife-point? It's obvious from the get-go that she could incapacitate this person without a sweat.

Right, cuz then we wouldn't get a cool wuxia fight. I'm worried about the writing already.
Maybe we're supposed to read her as being arrogant/overly confident

The Quentulated Mox

Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 10, 2022
Well the inspiration is clear at least. Feels a little slow here, not a lot of particularly cool exchanges, but I assume it's an early scene. More Dragon Inn than Crouching Tiger so far

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The talent involved with this show really makes me think it's going to be really good tbh. I'm still shocked by all the negativity surrounding the show.

I think a lot of people on the internet just selectively remember recent Star Wars content quality. Ignoring Bad Batch, Ashoka, Tales, and Andor and remembering Boba, Mando S3, and Obi while vastly overstating their problems.

My assumption is the Jedi have been unchallenged for so long, especially by other force wielders, that it's a combination of shock and trying to see what the assassin's deal is.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
You can't tell me Ahsoka vs Baylan wasn't a good fight

The first one or the one where she dropped out of her ship to fight him and then ran away because she didn't need to beat him, only reach Ezra, even though she initiated the fight?

I'll concede the first fight wasn't too bad. I think it might be the only fight in the show I enjoyed and was impressed by.

Oct 27, 2017
The first one or the one where she dropped out of her ship to fight him and then ran away because she didn't need to beat him, only reach Ezra, even though she initiated the fight?

I'll concede the first fight wasn't too bad. I think it might be the only fight in the show I enjoyed and was impressed by.
The first fight!

Didn't know what Wuxia was before this thread. FUCK YEAH!
Some of the more well known wuxia movies that have come to the west are "Flying Tiger, Hidden Dragon", "Hero", and "House of Flying Daggers". All of em are pretty good