• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

A recent rumor from a reliable source of Nintendo information suggests the Switch developer might be working on a VR headset with Google's assistance.

Nash Weedle, a Spanish leaker who accurately predicted the existence of Metroid Dread approximately a year before its official announcement, is now claiming that Nintendo is currently working on a standalone VR device and that they're already testing its prototype.

The rumored prototype features mixed reality capabilities and cost-effective, energy-efficient micro-LED displays. It will be a standalone device that doesn't require a console connection.

In the following post, as seen below, Nash Weedle goes over several alleged details regarding this VR device. They state it will function independently from the widely rumored upcoming successor to the Nintendo Switch, they state that it will be a mixed-reality device, and that Google is somehow involved in its development.

View: https://twitter.com/NWeedle/status/1698272627746312335?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1698272627746312335%7Ctwgr%5Ee66e60288332734876dfc77b21f3ede4f6a5aaab%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dualshockers.com%2Fleaker-claims-nintendo-vr-device%2F

Google translate:

- Hardware independent of Switch 2
- Mixed reality
- Domestic use, not for theme parks
- MicroLED display
- Surprisingly Google is somehow involved in the development

In a follow-up post the next day, Nash Weedle elaborated on the connection to Google, stating that a Google subsidiary has patents for MicroLED panels, which Weedle claims are being used in the VR device prototype. It's recommended to, of course, take everything with a grain of salt, as nothing has been proven nor officially confirmed.

However, this leak is potentially corroborated by a patent Nintendo filed back in November 2022. As broken down by Reddit user u/followmeinblue, the patent revolves around a potential VR unit being able to transfer information to a separate device, so that two individuals can interact in the 3D space captured by the VR unit.

The user gives the example of a VR player interacting with a live chessboard in a VR 3D space, while another player on a smartphone is able to see this chessboard and interact with it with their own non-VR inputs.

If the leak and patent are connected and are indeed related to a VR device that is actually in development at Nintendo, then it's likely that this device will have some sort of cross-functionality with the upcoming successor to the Nintendo Switch.

Zookfoodle

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, this makes a level of sense. Nintendo loves to innovate and will make whatever the heck they want even if it doesn't make a lotta sense.
On the other hand what the fuck

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought that VR was an inevitable "next frontier" for Nintendo but I feel like the technology isn't really mature enough for this.

Then again: they did the same with 3D, getting in there JUST as the market was passing it by, so maybe they figure it's a now or never type thing.

buttzilla

Sep 9, 2020
Not a reliable source.

I don't have Twitter so when I load up their profile all I see is their top posts, and they're all wrong predictions.

skyappl

Oct 25, 2017
microLED has only recently been commercialized and only then at extreme luxury price points. There's no way a Nintendo product uses it any time soon.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Has there ever been a time when Nintendo courted a non-gaming company for assistance on a standalone device?

I am finding the Google stuff the most unbelievable part of this particular rumor.

GaussTek

Oct 30, 2017
Not a reliable source, this "leaker" said Tears of the Kingdom would surely came out in 2022 lmao

Not to mention, not even Sony is commited to its device, with so many studios. Nintendo wouldn't probably want to segment again their develpment like before the Switch era just to support a dedicated VR device.

Last edited:

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
i know it's a shaky rumor and divorced from switch 2 but if anyone was gonna absolutely crush VR, it'd be nintendo

man i'd lose my shit if they fully committed to something like that

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I could see it, especially as a "third pillar" type of device. Could lead to some very interesting and new gameplay experiences that Nintendo always loves to tout that they're about.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Has there ever been a time when Nintendo courted a non-gaming company for assistance on a standalone device?

I am finding the Google stuff the most unbelievable part of this particular rumor.

Perhaps it was the other way around. Nintendo has the content, Google has the Hardware tech (Probably).

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I'm reminded how Nintendo and Google previously worked together to bring Google Maps to the Wii U with their Panorama View. Its controls are incredibly similar to looking around in VR.

Now to reread the Iwata Asks about it because I remember it sounding like they often work together.

iwataasks.nintendo.com

Iwata Asks - Wii Street U powered by Google - Page 2

Read the in-depth interview conducted by former Nintendo Global President Satoru Iwata.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Lol no fucking way. I'll bet my avatar on this being fake. Two months of whatever anyone wants if I'm wrong.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Whenever Nintendo gets around to VR (that's not part cardboard) it's gonna be insane. I'm not sure they'll ever do a separate pillar though, so it'll probably be something that uses their console.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
It wouldn't surprise me if the switch had a VR focus where you plug in the headset directly into the switch. Something like the Virtue One XR.

It's clear from Nintendo's experiments with VR on switch that they see it's worth looking into, but wearing an entire switch on your head isn't practical ergonomically, especially for little children.

DLSS which is likely going to be available for the next console is especially useful in order to achieve higher image quality at high framerates required for good VR.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafflebrain

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

Is this really true/relevant though? Samsung is not primarily gaming focused, and they provide the panel for the OLED Switch for instance, as well as panels for many other non Samsung branded devices. Google has prior experience with VR too so it doesn't strike me as the most improbable collaboration. Aside from the clunky Google cardboard they developed the YoutubeVR platform and also have plans to release their own AR device to compete with Meta and Apple (2024 release window):

www.theverge.com

Google is building an AR headset

Just don’t call it the return of Google Glass.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I don't buy the idea of Nintendo releasing a standalone gaming device of any kind at this point. They are all in on their integrated hardware and software approach. Segmenting their development resources for a standalone VR device makes no sense to me.

OP
OP
wafflebrain

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
That said if this "leaker" is indeed a known bullshitter I understand if mods want to close 🤷‍♂️

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Google would be the least plausible company to partner with for a somewhat risky endeavor like virtual reality. Not to mention, they already bowed out of the market on more than one occasion with the discontinuations of Cardboard and Daydream.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Is this really true/relevant though? Samsung is not primarily gaming focused, and they provide the panel for the OLED Switch for instance, as well as panels for many other non Samsung branded devices. Google has prior experience with VR too so it doesn't strike me as the most improbable collaboration. Aside from the clunky Google cardboard they developed the YoutubeVR platform and also have plans to release their own AR device to compete with Meta and Apple (2024 release window):

www.theverge.com

Google is building an AR headset

Just don’t call it the return of Google Glass.
I wasn't referring to components since this is a given that every company that manufactures hardware does. For instance, we know that Nvidia will provide the Switch 2 GPU.

I was just referring to them directly seeking out help from a massive company like Google to be involved directly in development. Nintendo has messed around with AR/VR before, albeit, with varying success.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I've posted this before, but I still believe it would have to be a device similar to the Pimax Portal...

veJeVFK.gif

I just can't see Nintendo splitting up their market with two different devices again.

If it is a standalone device, I would expect it to have Nintendo Switch 2's specs/internals. So you can buy games on their Nintendo shop that can be played on both the Switch 2 and the Standalone (even if theater mode). Some folks might buy both devices.

sedael

Oct 16, 2020
Google cancelled its headset work reportedly, the big tech comapnies with active programs are more or less Apple and Meta, both Google and Microsoft have significantly scaled back their work. This could be real but i would be surprised.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
Even if they were working on such a device, something tells me it wouldn't be for playing the types of games we all like to play. That's what the Switch 2 is for. They would probably attempt to pull some blue ocean shit with this.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So this leaker isn't reliable, BUT I have no doubt Nintendo is looking at ways to add a second platform again. Switch sales have been great. But imagine two platforms on the market at the same time.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
Considering the source is "my uncle who works at Nintendo" levels of bullshit, I wouldn't put much stock into this.

Plus they perfected VR with the Virtual Boy. They don't need another headset.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.