• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
A man driving through Winfield, Kan., went live on Facebook during a traffic stop last Sunday after cops told him he was being pulled over for allegedly failing to signal a turn within 100 feet. But what should have been a citation or warning led to Rudy Samuel being detained because of "vegetation" on his windshield.
Pigs stop a black male for not signalling. Once pulled over, one of them sees leaves on the windshield and window and decides to harass the guy (Samuel) pulled over as if it was weed (while refusing to test it). It wasn't till after Samuel was detained that it turned out, surprise surprise, it's just some leaves from a tree.

https://www.theroot.com/drivingwhileblackwithleavesonthewindshield-kansas-man-1826176285

Add it to the list.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I've just resorted to chanting "USA" while getting myself a drink whenever I hear about stuff like that.
Glad he wasn't shot.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I'm baffled. Was this on the outside or inside of the windshield? Why would you keep weed on the outside? None of this makes any sense.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Confirmed, trees work for police and are racist against minorities!

also, it wouldn't take much for weed to fly right off the windshield, so the argument by police is dumb. They couldn't arrest the man, so they came up with something stupid to put him in jail for a while.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's been got by that 100 feet rule before. That likely means he actually did use his signal, but they were looking for an excuse to pull him over.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
i guess that's how strong their weed spider senses are. they're willing to waste all that time to search a black man's car because they're that sure they're going to get the pay off and find something.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nothing good. Everything is shit.

This is ridiculous amounts of hyperbole. People act as if the US is one small state and everything bad that is happening is constant and within a small population center. This is a HUGE country. Yes there are problems, but good god people. You can't latch on to every news story and extrapolate it out as meaning everything is shit. This is why we have so many anxious, angry, neurotic people walking around.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
This is ridiculous amounts of hyperbole. People act as if the US is one small state and everything bad that is happening is constant and within a small population center. This is a HUGE country. Yes there are problems, but good god people. You can't latch on to every news story and extrapolate it out as meaning everything is shit. This is why we have so many anxious, angry, neurotic people walking around.
People recognizing that things are bad is not why we have "so many" people with issues acting out.

I can appreciate optimism, but that is looking at America with eyes of self-delusion.

Kidgalactus

Oct 30, 2017
Orlando

We have a responsibility to push back visibly against stuff like this.

When you diminish the frequency, or occurrence of these incidents, you make it more likely they will continue.

Once it stops, then we can have a conversation about hyperbole.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
You gotta be shitting me... wtf is going on in the US?

More camera phones that aren't a potato resolution = more footage of events white people can't call lies.
Dozens and dozens of cops getting away with literal murder (yay paid vacations!) that cops don't even give a fuck if they are filmed treating black citizens like shit.

Also to top it all off a white supremacist in office can't do anything but encourage more of this.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People recognizing that things are bad is not why we have "so many" people with issues acting out.

I can appreciate optimism, but that is looking at America with eyes of self-delusion.

Disagree. Psychologically, there is undoubtedly an impact in how we digest media, especially the news. Now, how that manifests itself amongst the populace is a debatable point. I'm inclined to believe that there are a great number of people suffering from anxiety and depression. You could back that with prescription numbers if desired. And I'm inclined to believe that many of those sufferers are impacted by how they are consuming media. Proclaiming "everything is shit" would seem to be a strong example of this. Everything is indeed "not shit." And that's not just blind optimism. There is a great deal of good happening daily that far outweighs the bad. But we choose to post about and report on the bad almost exclusively.

PorkandBeans

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People who don't signal should definitely go to jail.

But this whole "weed on the windshield" thing is such a crock. Couldn't they have just smelled it right then and there? Isn't it just a waste of their day to go through all of this when the guy is going to end up getting released and they look ridiculous to the public?

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Disagree. Psychologically, there is undoubtedly an impact in how we digest media, especially the news. Now, how that manifests itself amongst the populace is a debatable point. I'm inclined to believe that there are a great number of people suffering from anxiety and depression. You could back that with prescription numbers if desired. And I'm inclined to believe that many of those sufferers are impacted by how they are consuming media. Proclaiming "everything is shit" would seem to be a strong example of this. Everything is indeed "not shit." And that's not just blind optimism. There is a great deal of good happening daily that far outweighs the bad. But we choose to post about and report on the bad almost exclusively.

The bolded is subjective. I am glad that is the case for you. This is definitely not the case for all people.

Oct 27, 2017
until there are HD cameras on police (cars and person) to record this nonsense and repercussions for when this type of behavior occurs (suspension without pay if not outright firing and loss of benefits) this shit will keep happening. The problem is there are no police to police the police.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017

it seems like you are aiming for a more realistic approach, through optimism. that doesn't mesh well. People aren't seeing those problems and issues in the world being addressed. That's why they say there are problems in the world. Not because everything is shit, but because the problems are plain to see, yet people act like they're intractable. People may say things like that in exasperation, but the great majority of people are simply aware of the huge declines that are essentially being ignored or shelved.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
it seems like you are aiming for a more realistic approach, through optimism. that doesn't mesh well. People aren't seeing those problems and issues in the world being addressed. That's why they say there are problems in the world. Not because everything is shit, but because the problems are plain to see, yet people act like they're intractable. People may say things like that in exasperation, but the great majority of people are simply aware of the huge declines that are essentially being ignored or shelved.

That's fair. I understand the pessimism. I do. And we need to always fight against injustice and not be complacent. But the sheer amount of overwhelming pessimism occurring in this forum and amongst people in general strikes me as unhealthy.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Could they not knock the fucking leaves off and let him be on his way?

God damnit. Police departments need some form of racial bias testing. There has to be a way to ensure you're not enlisting some wannabe Klansmen to uphold the law.

Oct 31, 2017

realizing we live in a police state is probably more responsible for trauma than "latching on to every news story"

downplaying the very real and pervasive problems in this country because you're personally comfortable is bullshit

we live in a dystopia where police can legally rape you by claiming to smell weed and you better believe abuses of justice happen more often than we hear about

People who don't signal should definitely go to jail.

But this whole "weed on the windshield" thing is such a crock. Couldn't they have just smelled it right then and there? Isn't it just a waste of their day to go through all of this when the guy is going to end up getting released and they look ridiculous to the public?

hard to believe the guy even committed the first offense due to the egregious abuse of power right after it.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Being in southern CA all my life... I'm kind of scared of visiting these places in the US lol. These stories make it sound otherworldly

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm gonna go ahead and say that America's RESPONSE to these kinds of incidents is what most people are referring to as complete and utter fuckery.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cops make people remove their tint right in front of then, they couldnt let this kid freaking turn a button to wipe it off?

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
The "this substance or object is drugs" play has long been the go to for cops all over the US. They use it on everyone although obviously it disproportionately affected minorities.

There was a big article about it last year where it was revealed that the field kits they use to test if something is a drug is pretty much completely ineffective and will almost always give a false positive. Meaning whatever the cops test will come up as drugs and you will go to jail. It takes several weeks for the lab to test the substance and determine whether it's actually drugs and by that time a lot of people, in particular the poor, uneducated, and the vulnerable (minorities who get fucked repeatedly by institutions) have been pressured or tricked into taking plea deals.

Americas most dangerous gang.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I had to read the article three times because it sound so ridiculous that he was arrested over such a stupid thing, it's a good thing he didn't get shot.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I meant systemically, the country is fucked. Ruined. Broken. That's not hyperbole lol

I hope it gets better?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Would have been less stupid if they said the reason to search was it was a day that ends in Y