• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
deadline.com

LeBron James, Chris Paul Call Out NBA Over Robert Sarver Decision: “Our League Definitely Got This Wrong”

“Our league definitely got this wrong,” wrote LeBron James today just hours after NBA Commissioner Adam Silver went before the media to try and contain the fallout over what many consid…

"Our league definitely got this wrong," wrote LeBron James today just hours after NBA Commissioner Adam Silver went before the media to try and contain the fallout over what many consider mild sanctions on Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver for reported sexist, racist and abusive behavior toward subordinates. James, like many former players and pundits, felt that "there is no place for misogyny, sexism, and racism in any work place. Don't matter if you own the team or play for the team."

View: https://twitter.com/CP3/status/1570220418191228928

This week the league, after a months-long investigation, confirmed details about Sarver's behavior that were first aired nearly a year ago in a November, 2021 ESPN report. That story included instances of Sarver repeatedly using the N-word over the course of decades in front of players, coaches, team staff and even in an email to the league.

One former Suns basketball executive told ESPN of him in 2021: "There's literally nothing you could tell me about him from a misogynistic or race standpoint that would surprise me."

Still, league investigators concluded that there was "no finding that Sarver's conduct was motivated by racial or gender-based animus." He received a one-year suspension and a $10 million fine. That's the upper limit of a fine allowed by the NBA. But Sarver's net worth is, on the low end, $400 million and, on the high end, $850 million, according to reports.

Close if old.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
These leagues are kind of like country clubs.

It is pretty hard to get kicked out of them if you have other friends in the league.

Jerry Jones is still the owners of the Cowboys last time I checked. The rules don't apply to the owners sadly.

megabyte

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely a good step forward for really getting this into the public attention, but it's terrible that it has to come down to players/fans/media to deal with the owner. Owners protecting each other, just like with the NFL. Still hoping this gets enough traction for Sarver to cut loose.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

tmac456

May 27, 2020
In no way on the owners side but can the NBA force him out/sell the team?

My understanding is the rest of the owners would have to vote for him to sell. And I doubt they want to do that because...well... They are basically a small country club like someone else stated.

The players boycotting to play games will absolutely force their hand tho

Edit: And there's only so much Silver can do. I guess he could've done a multiple year suspension but what does that really accomplish?

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
Dang they made sterling sell the team but not this guy? What a load of crap but then again Silver didn't do shit to that GSW owner who pushed Westbrook during a game. I think it was a playoff game too…

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Donald Sterling was an immensely disliked owner who was driving a franchise in the league's 2nd largest media market into the dirt and turning into a laughing stock. The fact that he was exposed publicly as a racist became a convenient excuse for the league and its owners to dump him. But that was an exception, not the rule. The league's owners are largely made up of old, rich, out of touch white men, and they have absolutely zero interest in creating a precedent where these kinds of things cause you to lose your team, because, well, they probably feel they could just as easily be next (Mark Cuban said as much when the Sterling thing happened). Adam Silver doesn't act unilaterally on these things, or have that kind of power in a situation like this. He works for Robert Server. He works for the rest of the owners. They let him look like a hero with the Donald Sterling thing, but he largely does what the owners tell him to do especially with something of this magnitude. In this case, he's paid to take the public bullet and heat for what is probably not a popular decision.

tmac456

May 27, 2020
Dang they made sterling sell the team but not this guy? What a load of crap but then again Silver didn't do shit to that GSW owner who pushed Westbrook during a game. I think it was a playoff game too…

Nah, his wife stepped in before the rest of the owners could and she moved to sell the team. There was a big legal battle between her and Sterling. It was quite a mess

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017
They never made him sell the team. His wife took over via legal grounds and sold it herself.

Silver can't do much without owners approval which they won't unless forced by public/players/sponsors.

Oct 25, 2017
I also don't think it's a coincidence they released this news right in the start of nfl being back so it blows over more quickly

Really what Silver said boils down to "I can't fire my boss"
Not sure what else there is to say

KhrossSF

Jul 8, 2020
pretty sure , once training camp starts they are gonna try to get Sarver up out the paint. Lebron will probably test the water of all the star players , Steph recently came out and said one of his biggest regrets was how he handled the Clippers situation. So this could be big if the players want it to be

Funkelpop

Banned
Sep 2, 2022
2 veterans of the game speaking their opinions is always great. Especially for CP3 who's been part of a few controversies already.

Is there a basketball group on resetera by any chance?

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Didn't really expect much more, to be honest. Too much power and money is concentrated within the realm of owners of pro sports team. Nothing significant was ever going to happen to Sarver. The current ownership/league model will never allow for substantial consequences.

Oct 25, 2017
2 veterans of the game speaking their opinions is always great. Especially for CP3 who's been part of a few controversies already.

Is there a basketball group on resetera by any chance?
It shifts depending on the season and whatnot, here's the latest thread
www.resetera.com

NBA 2022 Offseason |OT| The Real Champion is You, Who Gets to Watch All These Sad Boston Fans Anime/Manga - Sports

Congrats to the Golden State Warriors for winning their 4th NBA title in 8 years. What a great season we've had Westbrook claims the Lakers season wasn't on him though, and Phil Jackson agrees Now while the Warriors fans celebrate, we all look forward to what should be a busy offseason...

Prepare yourself for hot takes and anime

Matrix Monkey

Dec 30, 2017
Players and staff in the NFL need to speak out against Deshaun Watson too. This shit is going to keep happening until people in power in the leagues take a stand.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People are finally seeing enemy of the Process Adam Silver for what he really is.

blazenumb1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My understanding is the rest of the owners would have to vote for him to sell. And I doubt they want to do that because...well... They are basically a small country club like someone else stated.

The players boycotting to play games will absolutely force their hand tho

Edit: And there's only so much Silver can do. I guess he could've done a multiple year suspension but what does that really accomplish?

gotcha thanks for the info